Masters Running

An Abbreviated Sunday....... (Read 47 times)

...awaiting an IceStorm here.......

how's everyone else doing??

=========

xbs

...............grg..............

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

usandtoto-2@msn.com

Good morning TW and all that follow.  Hope your Sunday is filled with wonderful runs, enjoyment, healing injuries and happiness.  Yes, its now beer:30 here. 

No ice storm here, in fact its 72 degrees, party cloudy, and almost sunset time.

5.5 miles in the early morning darkness with the last 2.5 miles @ 7:57 pace.

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

Good morning Tom and all to follow. Sorry about your weather today. At least it's just cold here. -6 this morning.  And that's all I'm going to say about our winter weather this year. I know you're all sick of me complaining about it.

Mike - so sorry about your friend. And so young. How great that he was an organ donor.

Hey Slo! How 'ya been?! Coming to the Cellcom this year? I'm havin' a party

Stomach flu, food poisoning - just no good way to describe that!

I did my first mini-triathlon this morning. a 10 minute swim, 20 minute bike and 15 minute run. Swimming has never been my strong suit but I gave it my best and managed 14 lengths in 10 minutes, 10 miles on the bike and almost 2 miles for the run portion. I can definitely say I was the oldest person there! None of this was categorized by age so I don't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning anything, but it was a great experience for my first time. And now DH is taking me out for breakfast.

Have a great Sunday everyone.

New skirt in town

5.2 miles EASY miles this morning, followed by yoga.  This caps off a 58-mile week, my 5th 50+-mile week during this training cycle.  I just wish it would start to feel like spring!  No ice storm here, but it's still just edging over the freezing point.  More snow on the way tomorrow...

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

So what I thought was just a little post-long run queasiness turned into full blown stomach bug!!

just not right!!   I haven't been sick in years and within 2 weeks I had that horrible cough/cold and now this!!   Rough night last night but feel like I'm turning the corner this morning

denise

...two words

StomachSufferers>>>>>>>>ACTIVATED CHARCOAL CAPS

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

pfriese

Bailing on this mornings race. Still fighting cold/sinus thingy and don't really want to run in 10 degree weather.

King of PhotoShop

Nice going jlynne.

Deez, I'm sure sorry.  Hope you get well as soon as you can. You've had enough.

Paul, two of my toughest ultra trail friends bailed on some race in OK this morning. Conditions were miserable.

Nice week to week work Robin (a little compliment from your soul-mate!)

I bailed on a run at the Lake today just because it was cold, windy and rainy, and instead did just 3+ at the Park.  All my boys home for dinner tonight, so I'm roasting a chicken outside on the grill and making a quinoa and roasted vegetable salad and some other green vegetables.  Can't wait.

I'm not going to move to any kind of vegan diet, but I'm always exploring new ideas.  I'm very interested in Mark Bittman's (NY Times food writer) idea of the "VB6" diet, in which you eat vegan for breakfast and lunch, then if you want meat you have it at dinner ("vegan before 6 pm"). I don't eat a lot of red meat anyway, but love fish, so this diet is working well for me.  Whatever meat or fish I do eat at dinner is a very small portion.    Spareribs

New skirt in town

Deez, SO sorry.  I hope you can venture back into the world of solid food soon!

--RT

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Marathon Maniac #957

Jlynne - well done!

{{{Deez}}}

Icy conditions here, too, although I suspect the snow portion will be less than forecast.  Still, I took one look at our icy deck and decided not to try to run outside.  60 minutes on the bike trainer instead, followed by weighted squats.

Stomach flu is either caused by bacteria or a virus.  If it is a virus, why can't we call it a flu?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

flu refers to influenza, which is a specific virus causing respiratory illness.  Interestingly, there is no natural human influenza - the ones we get all originate from mutated bird or pig viruses.

stomach flus are often caused by a completely different virus(es), a biggie being noro virus, and never caused by influenza, however, influenza can cause loss of appetite and vomiting, esp. in younger kids.

Yes, Jlynne, nice going there!

I did 10.3 miles in light rain and wind.  It was about 40F.  5 mile out and back, knee a little wonky so walked a bit here and there but overall, quite happy with this run.  Did not take in any carbs (just a bit of Nuun - not sure I like that stuff), and felt ok.  Depleted by 7.5 miles, but never too lightheaded.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

No run for me today.  But happy to report my DW not only went out but on a new route!  I was tracking her on my phone and was stunned to see her deviate from her standard route.  Miracles can happen!  Now I have to figure out my running schedule for this week.  Next Sunday I have a 25k race.  It is a really tough course but it is just a pre-marathon training race.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Lots of running for me this weekend---12 miles at 8:05 pace on Saturday with a speedier and younger teammate and then 24 miles today with Iron J in 3:27. Felt steady and strong the whole way and we mapped out a route that was pretty clear and not too icy---not sure how we managed that with all the snow around, but grateful I am.  Two-state run as we ran into CT and back and over four serious climbing hills. Great conditions with partly cloudy skies and 37-40º  Roar.

Storm will just graze us here in the 413 if at all and I am really grateful for that! Sorry to all those getting blasted again---especially the ice storm stuff….sorry TW. I feel sure we won’t be spared the next time and that will likely be soon.

I am so stinking proud of my teammates as they placed second as a team at the US Snowshoe Nationals in VT yesterday and one of my teammates was third overall (10k race and very hard course on icy snow and against seriously fast competition…go team!).

So sorry about your friend Mike. Wonderful race write-up of your marathon victory and the journey to get there. And the grandkid shots are fabulous! Lots of the cutest grandchildren ever on this forum. 

Holly---congrats to DD and yes the parents at youth sports events can ruin the experience completely at times. I wasn’t sad that the kiddo chose to run indoor track this year---no more parents screaming at refs and worse at the hockey rink!

{{{{{{Deez}}}}}}

Off to Super-granny’s for the afternoon----enjoy the rest of the weekend all.

NHLA

10 miles  1 hr 35 min. Davis Mt.  1600' climb  pic of Crystal Springs.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

There sure is a lot of nice running going on in here--way to go!

Karin--you bounce back from injuries better than anybody I've ever seen.  It's so nice to see you running so well.

I hope you feel better real soon deez!  You, too, pfriese.

I kicked off my training for the Buffalo Marathon today with an easy 6 miles on the treadmill.  I did not want to stop!  I'm sure I'll feel different tomorrow when I attempt a speed workout on it.

Monday tomorrow...yuck!  See ya!