Masters Running

Newfield 5K RR (Read 181 times)

coastwalker

I thought on Wednesday that I might do this race, and finally made the decision on Friday morning. It is a small (125 finishers) race in a semi-rural community about 20 miles west of here. When I pulled onto the parking field, I had to wait for a couple of wild turkeys to mosey out of the way before I could get to a spot. The morning was cooler (thank goodness!) than I expected, at about 65 degrees, but it was still pretty muggy. I was about halfway back in the loose pack when the race started at 9. The first mile was mostly flat, and I did it in 10:36. The field had settled down, and I started to key off some runners just ahead of me. There were rolling hills throughout the second and third miles, and, although I was passing runners, I was falling off my pace. My mile two split was about 11:00. I was also starting to feel heavy-legged, which I knew was a product of the humidity. I tried to keep focused on the things I was supposed to be doing, but my mind wandered too much, and I got sloppy at times. I never saw the mile 3 marker, and my finish time was 33:36 for about a 10:50 pace. Surprisingly, I was 4th in my age group. It was far from my best performance, but neither did I expect it to be my best. But I had a good time, and I was glad to be out there racing again. FR: Black shorts, yellow shirt, Asics Hyperspeeds, and my blue Brooks cap. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Having a good time (and letting the turkeys get out of the way) is what it's all about. Thanks for the report and the fine effort in the humidity. It's an energy zapper and you kept it going. Nice age group showing too. CNYrunner/Karin
      Henrun

Jay, even though you weren't at your best in the humidity, you did great. Congrats. I was supposed to run a 10K today but a family event (in Hampton and Newmarket) took precedence. I'm sure we'll see you again soon.
        HermosaBoy

There's something to be said for having a good time!!! Way to go!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

There's something to be said for having a good time!!! Way to go!
            Jay I couldn't agree with Rob more. however I know that it is easier said than done! Congrats on a running well in that humidity, I know how it can zap the energy right out of ya...4th place in your AG aint all bad either. Big grin
            DickyG

Jay... Well I, for one, think that was a great effort in this humidity...and I can only wish that I would ever be 4th in any age group. Way to go! DickyG
                Yep, having a good time trumps racing a good time, evrytime. Smile
                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                huskydon

Jay, Good job! You had a good time racing and that's the most important thing. Yeah, you gotta watch out for those turkeys in the parking lots around here, too. huskydon