Masters Running

Weds Boomer/Masters (Read 682 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning....at work super early this morning trying to get caught up on paper work. I worked late last night before my run, so by the time I ran, showered, and ate, I went to bed to late to post last night. Wow, yesterdays thread was most certainly interesting to say the least. Last night 5.5 easy recovery miles, which felt good to run slow and work the legs out for a longer mid week long run tonight....I need more of these easier runs to help more with recovery...I tend to trash my legs every time I run , which will admit I like that feeling after my runsConfused Have a wonderful "hump" day all Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Thanks for starting, Tim. Easy 5 mile run for me, too, but I ran this morning, of course. Windy! Temperature reached 70F yesterday, but was down to 40F and dropping by the time I ran at 5:15. Workout: 4.1 miles, 8:35/mi, AHR 143 Overall: 5.1 miles, 43:48 Have a great day today!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Good morning Tim and Lou. Nice runs so early. "Kyll Bill Chapter 2" this morning. I admit to have been dreading this one since last week's 1st edition. 14 miles with 6x3 minutes hard (5K pace, 7:15 or so for me), 2 minutes rest between. 9:30 pace for a warmup 6 miles, then the repeats were run at: 7:20 7:21 7:17 7:12 7:15 7:11 Finished it off with 5 miles at 9:20 pace. Those last 3 repeats were tough and hanging on. 14 miles in 2:08 overall, average HR 146. Remember that today is the last day to Post those March Miles in the March Monthly Miles thread. Final numbers will be posted tomorrow sometime. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

55F and IRC here in Durham this morning (except for the 90%humidity). Pretty sproinky progression, hilly m-LR this morning. 13.1 miles with these splits: (miles) pace (HR) (2) 9:30 (138) (2) 9:20 (150)- 250ft hill (2) 9:11 (148) (2) 8:55 (150) couple 70ft hills (2) 8:50 (142) very steep downhill (2) 8:41 (145) (1.1) 8:22 (146)

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Thanks for starting us off Tim. I like those night time runs when I can do a longer/slower run too. Today was interval Wednesday for me. So, that meant leaving Brinkley at home . . . I think he is still mad at me. Half way into my warm up mile I saw 2 green eyes staring at me in the middle of the road - not moving - low to the ground. Startled me at first, then I got a little worried as the eyes were not running away as I got closer, then I wished I had Brinkely with me. As I got closer the creature still hadn't moved - so I got as far over to the side of the road as I could, once I got close enough I saw it was a black cat - Mr. Black Cat - and he never did move! I took a moment to take a deep breath and then was thankful that I didn't have Brinkley with me - we might still me out chasing it!! On to running - I bumped it up to (7) 1/4 mile intervals with .15 mile breaks. 1 - 2:06 2 - 2:02 3 - 2:05 4 - 2:00 5 - 2:05 6 - 2:05 7 - 2:05 Not too shabby for my second try this year. 1 mile cool down - 300 crunches and 25 push ups. Happy Hump Day! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Tim – probably the biggest change I’ll make next time I do marathon training is to make my recovery runs shorter and easier. Bill – ouch! Those look tough. When I get this marathon nonsense over with, I want to try some of these interval workouts you and the other speedy folks do. We’ll chat more about it in June… Mary – nice intervals for you, too. Do you program your Garmin for those? I intend to learn how to do that soon. Today was an I-ate-too-much-Easter-candy-last-night workout. There ought to be a 12-step program for those malted milk eggs…I admit that I am powerless over Robin Eggs, and that my waistline has become unmanageable….. 9.1 miles in 32 degrees, which included 10 x 100m striders, 2 trips up and down Big Hill Road, and 2 miles at tempo (8:16, 8:23), kind of mixing it up a bit.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good morning Boomers. Finally up and around after fighting a stomach flu bug the last couple of days. I decided that after not eating much, running wasn't the best idea so stuck with my regular schedule of cross training for today. 5.3 miles on the eliptical in 40 minutes with just a few crunches. That's a wicked way to lose a few pounds and always reminds me of my favorite line from "The Devil Wears Prada:" - "I'm just one stomach flu away from my ideal weight." Nice runs WRFB, Bill and Perch. Those intervals sound like quite a workout, Mary. I think Brinkley sent that black cat out to scare you because he was mad you didn't take him with this morning. Good Wednesday runs, everyone. Jeanne

The Jogger

Morning All Good to see our usual starters running well and Jeanne nearly over the stomach bug. I've been on the injured step myself and had manflu to bootl. Have had a hip problem but hopefully when I start running again, maybe friday, all will be well and I still have nearly 2 months to get ready fo my marathon. Good Runs All Roy
                  Teresadfp

One day at a time

Rest day for me, whoo hoo! 6 days in a row wore me out. I need to keep building up my strength! Today I have to psych myself up for my 9-miler tomorrow. Have a good one! Teresa
                    Tramps

Good morning. My regular 5.2 mile route today at a sproinky 8:32. I was runnng by feel and just going comfortably so I guess that faster-than-expected pace is a reflection of the pep I have in the tank after my long break. My higher-than-usual HR, on the other hand, reminds me to go easy and ease back into this. Nice discussion about "tempo" yesterday. Quite a wide range out there. All this demanding marathon talk makes me happy that I'm just jogging along for the fun of it, right now.

Be safe. Be kind.

dg.

good morning nice runs!! Mary, I'm glad it was a cat! there's a black cat in a neighborhood around here that grabs my legs. doesn't hurt me, but I almost fell once. hi roy! what's going on with your hip? I think we were giving you hip hugs a week or so ago.. sorry it's still a problem. hope friday works. jlynne, glad you're up & around. thanks, Twocat. Erika, thanks for the group effort at translation. I'll depend on you 2 from now on. I did a yoga dvd for abs, & a few p.t. exercises which I've been avoiding. Started a proprioceptive training program from a 2002 sports injury bulletin. I'm not sure if it matters, but does anyone know of a newer one that they like? happy sunny day -). edited because i can't spell. thanks btb.
                        spacityrunner

Oh boy, I missed the opportunity to assess the fitness of BTB's legs....darn school anyway!!! (see mainerunnah's and SR's avatars...perhaps you can post such an avatar mr. cootie bug) 1.5 hours on the elliptical...I bow to you!!!! Hi mainerunnah!!!! It is so nice to see you posting. Your grandkids are adorable. I did a 30 min swim last night before class. It was a story of sinking butt, sucking water, but I did it. Undecided I was very, very surprised at how "spent" I felt after my gym workout on Monday. But the bike and elliptical are easy I said to myself. They shouldn't leave you empty...but they did. I guess 70 minutes of cardio is 70 minutes of cardio. I was tired when I got into the pool last night but managed to finish. I am taking tonight off. Foot is feeling ok. I got caught in a downpour last night on my way home from school (10:30ish). It was raining so hard and the wind was blowing it sideways. But, even tho I was soaked, and even tho it was late, and even tho I was wearing my running shoes......I DID NOT RUN ONE STEP! Smile I got to my front door and the rain had stopped but it was too late...I was a drowned rat. But I did not run one step. That, my friends, is progress. SteveP: any word on the job yet?? That last interview sounded so promising. Good day and good runs all

Trails Rock!

Did 3 miles on the TM again, but picked the pace up to 12:00 for the last two. That seemed to bother things just slightly more, but there's no after-effect so I guess things are still progressing. Nice to see that people are getting better weather and going longer as a result. It was in the low 20s here this morning, but totally clear skies and a beautiful crescent moon. I hope that I can be out running under those skies soon!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

4 miles-2 at recovery (~9:05 av) and 2 easy (~8:00av) (I'm not hurt Spareribs, just crunched for time, as usual...) Nice reps hopeful/Mary! Great mini progression, Perch/Steve! Outstanding job, Byll!!-You are strong and you will rock in Eugene! Have a great day all.
                              dg.

Oh boy, I missed the opportunity to assess the fitness of BTB's legs....darn school anyway!!! (see mainerunnah's and SR's avatars...perhaps you can post such an avatar mr. cootie bug) 1.5 hours on the elliptical...I bow to you!!!! Hi mainerunnah!!!! It is so nice to see you posting. Your grandkids are adorable. I did a 30 min swim last night before class. It was a story of sinking butt, sucking water, but I did it. Undecided I was very, very surprised at how "spent" I felt after my gym workout on Monday. But the bike and elliptical are easy I said to myself. They shouldn't leave you empty...but they did. I guess 70 minutes of cardio is 70 minutes of cardio. I was tired when I got into the pool last night but managed to finish. I am taking tonight off. Foot is feeling ok. I got caught in a downpour last night on my way home from school (10:30ish). It was raining so hard and the wind was blowing it sideways. But, even tho I was soaked, and even tho it was late, and even tho I was wearing my running shoes......I DID NOT RUN ONE STEP! Smile I got to my front door and the rain had stopped but it was too late...I was a drowned rat. But I did not run one step. That, my friends, is progress. SteveP: any word on the job yet?? That last interview sounded so promising. Good day and good runs all
                                Yes Yes Yes liz, a round of applause.