Masters Running

Thursday, Feb. 5, '15 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Yesterday we got a delivery of 52 cartons, about 35 lbs each, that had to be taken up to our second floor. We don't have an elevator. I didn't take them all, but I made more than enough trips to feel it in my legs and arms. When I got home, I had to climb up and shovel the roof again, and I felt that too. So my 4.5 RW miles on snow-covered roads this morning were challenging in a number of ways. And it's snowing again...

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

O Jay, I'm tired just reading that, ugh.

Holly is the cutest--"it's ok, I went back to Tuesday and read you there" to tselbs.

roch, the snowbirds make us sort of crazy with their superiority.  I figure it's ok to post our weather now as I sure am here in June, July and August when I have to start my runs at pre Jay oclock just to have a chance of finishing in the H&H.  Remember that, mi amigos!

So I got nuthin, 'cept the jitters.  No running since yesterday am!  Prudence!    It's killing me.

News spot on how many RR crossing accidents there are annually caught me up short.  I had no idea.  Not that I run RR crossing red lights, but I will look at them in a new light, no pun intended.    I used to have one on my lunch time running route in Rapid City that I had to stop at (as a runner) on a regular basis and I did.  Yes, it was the right thing to do, and I usually hit it on the way back to the office, so it was a welcome break, I must admit.

Couple of 5Ks around this weekend, one I'll do for certain as it benefits an education program in our public schools.  I'm even thinking of volunteering for the program (my office supports community volunteer work and even gives us some hours during the work day to do it.)

Yes, greta Thursdays, everyone!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Erika, even though the weather here also starts getting milder by April, it sometimes seems like it's almost June before we can consistently do early morning runs in shorts & short sleeves (unless your're perchcreek, that is).

Crystal clear skies and a beautiful full moon hanging there this morning, which in these parts means one thing: bitter cold! So I drove over to the university rec center for an indoor tri-workout: TM, stationary bike, pool. Felt good afterwards, but I still don't really enjoy it while I'm doing it. At least I ran into someone there afterwards and set up an actual outdoor run for tomorrow morning, pavement conditions permitting.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Jay - Between all the snow raking and the crate carrying, me thinks you are getting a fantastic winter workout program going!

When I got up at 4:00, it was absolutely dumping rain and howling wind.  I, too, have my weather limitations, and that combo in the wee hours of the dark morn along with crazy Humboldt County drivers sent me back to bed.  Of course, when I got up at 6:30, it was just windy.    Tomorrow is supposed to be worse, but I can go to the McKay Tract after work and run, so we'll see.  I  may be making up the mileage over the weekend.

Re running mileage - I've been substituting a day of running for stationary biking, which usually includes "speed work," and I am enjoying NOT put the extra miles and pounding on my legs.  I think my body is such that if I continued in the vein of miles, miles, miles with no cross training, I wouldn't be in this gig for a whole lot longer.  Karen and her sister, Kate, seem to be the type who can run forever and never have issues.  I am not blessed with those genes.

It's Thursday, folks, which means we're on the downhill slide to Friday!  Woo Hoo!!

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

good morning!

Had my weekly interval workout last night. I really enjoy those - breaking the run down into different smaller segments and I'm always surprised at how the miles add up in an interval workout.  Last night was 1x1000m, 2x800m, 3x400m at target paces of 5:00, 4:00 and 2:00, respectively. My paces were: 5:00, 4:00, 3:58, 1:54, 1:53 and 1:57.

today is a rest day. 

Tammy

Dave59

Low impact workout today on the ARC trainer at the gym.  Feels just as good as a run but no hip soreness afterwards.

Doing better today with work.  Workload is worse today than yesterday but I am handling it better.  I think.  I could just be totally delusional about that.  Maybe I am still asleep and not even typing this now.  Will I wake up and wonder if I posted here yet?

Holly is the cutest--"it's ok, I went back to Tuesday and read you there" to tselbs.

I also had read teslbs post on the Tuesday thread and wondered to myself if he had the day messed up.  Does that make me cute too?

Marathon Maniac #957

Does that make me cute too?

Absolutely!  

Jay - I agree with Leslie.

Since I am doing the Body Blast class tonight, I only ran 3 easy-paced miles on the TM, but somehow this aggravated my knee.  The knee has been much better in the last week or so, and I didn't have any pain while running this morning, but several hours later it began with a dull ache along the inside side of the knee/leg.  A LOT.  Two ibuprophen didn't seem to slow it so I took two more after an hour, and now, almost two hours after that, it still hurts.  Feels fine when I'm using it, just aches when at rest. Go figure.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Thanks for checking in on me, Aamos.

I'm past the muscular soreness from the Tour of Sufferlandria but am feeling a little weary.  But there's a cold lurking in our household and I think it's waiting to pounce upon me.

I may graduate from physio this afternoon.  The therapist asked me to do my run on their treadmill so she can see what happens to me when I'm tired and unsupported by kinesiotape.  I may also spin tonight when I get home, but even typing that conditional "may" makes me think the ride is doomed.

Am getting an outstanding core workout from shoveling, though, I must say.

I wish I had a fatbike but can't afford it right now.  Will wait until spring when some of this winter's crop get sold second-hand.  But I may go get a basic pair of XC skis and go play in Rochrunner's park.

Slo

Mustang Sally, I've had a Fat Bike long before they became all the rage. I love it. With the boom in popularity I'm quite sure the used market will be full of them. Lots of people buying them but it's a marriage that won't last for many.

Deep freeze here. -13 this am. Opted to stay warm and snuggle up.

High School band concert tonight. The one I look forward to the most is the Jazz Concert but that one isn't for a few weeks.

Tammy, nice intervals.  Holly and Dave, I appreciated and got a kick out of your comments about me posting on the wrong day.

This morning, it was -3 degrees when I got up.  For about 2 seconds, I considered bundling up and going out for my planned 3 miles.  However, it was the TM at a 10:53 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

When I Google "Fat Tire Bike" they start at $223.00 and go to $3999.  That's quite the range!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Yeah, I suppose like anything it's a "you get what you pay for" kind of thing with those bikes. The LBS we were at tends to have mid- to high-end bikes. They're thought is you can get the cheaper ones at other "mass market" outlets but their focus is on quality. I wasn't really tempted by them (but I like to run in their tracks), but the idea of a second hand bike might be appealing.

I did intervals yesterday too. Actually cranked out 8 repeats of 3 minutes at 7:54 pace (7.6 mph) with 2 minute intervals at 8:34. Felt pretty good after those (original plan was 6 repeats), so added 2 x 1 minute at 7:30 before doing the last mile and a half or so at 8:34. 8.5 miles total, all in the garage at 1% incline. Interesting to think how you can run so far but not get anywhere..... other than running through a lot of NPR "Planet Money" podcasts.

Another clear cold sunny day here. Seems a shame to not be out in that sunshine, but it's still pretty cold (-35° this morning, only -15° now though). I'll do an easy 5 or so on the 'mill tonight.

TammyinGP

here's a Fat Tire that fits into my budget

Tammy

I think we need to get the definition of cute straightened out here.  I will put odds down "cute" and "guy" generally do not belong together in any sentence I might create.  Well perhaps, guys are just not cute.  That would work.  Of course, it is possible the ladies would rework things but who am I to argue in that case!  

I have a 20k race scheduled for Sunday (which I just saw on Facebook may get postponed due to the snow we are expecting this weekend).  With the race on the schedule I did not want to go running on Saturday and that meant no long run on Sunday.  So, this left today as the only day I could hope to get in my somewhat scheduled 19 mile run in.  I polar beared up, put on my low 20's running gear and headed out in the 20 mile an hour winds.  Where the heck is summer!!!!

P.S.  No quips from the Alaskan tundra.  Yes, I know you put a minus sign in front of the 20 and still go out.  My recent decedents apparently included a lizard and not a really furry mammal.  What can I say.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

ok - I am ready to wave the white flag on winter ..... could it PLEASE just stop snowing!!  At least I am off work on a little "stay"cation for the next week and won't be sleeping at the hospital for the next 3-4 day snowstorm!!

Looks like lots of cross-training going on lately!!  I for one have been enjoying the variety and as much as I miss running, I am glad to not be dodging the snow banks right now.  I am up to 3.2 miles on the treadill - good news: my foot didn't hurt (much) during the run, but the bad news: it hurt while I was stretching and afterward ...... icing both heels right now while sitting in my furry bathrobe drinking hot tea.

Aamos - I really hope you decide to join our Rosie Ruiz team!!  I need to get on the site and register so our captain knows I am serious about being in again!!

Leslie - no way would I have run in that weather either!

TwoCat - I definitely think cute and guys go together!!

denise