Masters Running

Saturday October 4th Run & Fun (Read 406 times)

Well I'm getting ready to head out the door for my last easy three miler before tomorrow's marathon. It's a chilly 42 degrees out right now, brrrrrr. I am sorely disappointed to learn that Ribs isn't coming back, although I suspected as much. I miss both his and Karin's input on this thread and can't say enough about how sad I am that they have chosen to leave. But life goes on and hopefully so will this forum, I enjoy ALMOST EVERYTHING about this forum too much to leave and will certainly remain here as long as it is around and I am running. Big grin Have great runs all, be back shortly!
      Hi Mainerunnah, Well it's been a few days since my last post so Ribs and Karin leaving are a huge surprise. Spareribs is one of the veterans who helped me tremendously and who provided a ton of motivation for me over the last 4 years. Forums do go on but sometimes you miss some of those special people. Do not get me wrong there are tons of them still here and new ones will show up but Spareribs was one of them. Luckily I still have his email in case I need to call on him. Off to Picton to run a half marathon on Sunday. Will also pick up their amazing chocolate jujubes. YUM. Take care gang and good racing. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Hill Runner

Good morning guys, X-Training for me...I'll be doing yard work / landscaping today I logged 50+ miles this week and I"m planning on doing my last 20 miler tomorrow before the Ridge to Bridge marathon. Enjoy the beautiful Fall weather!

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
        Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
        Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Luckily I still have his email in case I need to call on him.
          As do I and I am sure that I will be sending him a note shortly, to let him know how much he is missed if for no other reason. Sad Just got back from my nice easy morning run - 3.35 very easy miles - 31:01 (9:15) on a bright sunny morning with and 42 degrees. If it's like this tomorrow I won't be able to blame the weather for a poor showing! Wink Good runs all and have a great Saturday - oh and best of luck to all those racing this weekend. Big grin
            Good luck tomorrow, maine. Smile No running for me today, but I may go to the gym later. Dark Horse
            I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
            Teresadfp

One day at a time

GOOD LUCK tomorrow, mainerunnah! I have nursery duty at church; otherwise, I would be volunteering at the race. A little colder at our house at 8 am - 38. I wore a jacket but stuck to shorts. WOW, what a gorgeous morning! It seems like the foliage is changing early this year. I ran only 3.1 miles. I'm having trouble getting motivated after my HM. I saw an egret standing in the water next to the railroad tracks that cross the end of my street - cool! DH said he saw the bird yesterday. Maybe he's taken up residence here! This afternoon, I'm off to the Belfast Invitational XC meet that DS16 is running in. Most of the schools in Maine will be there. Yesterday, a kid threw a backpack down right in front of DS (not intentionally), and he tripped and fell on his hip, on the concrete. It's sore, but I think he will be OK. Have a great weekend!
                Good morning everyone. Did my 6.5 mile route this morning at a 9:41 pace. A BRISK 35F with beautiful blue skies and no wind - the leaves are starting to pop here. I love this time of the year! It was good to get out and relieve some stress after having a house full of relatives here since Thursday (and - staying until Monday). I don't know who the wise person was that said "relatives are like fish - after three days they start to stink!" Just kidding, but I am looking forward to getting back to the normal routine. TwoCat - that pumpkin soup sounds fantastic. Can you give a recipe please? Mainerunnah and all our other weekend racers - good luck and good speed! Teresa - let us know how the XCountry meet turns out. Hope your son does well. I'm hoping that Spareribs and Karin will relent and come back some day soon. Their humor and kindness are truly missed. Have a great day, everyone. Jeanne
                busiman

Running out of mistakes!

I had a great time with the club running 6 miles of trails in the Hopkinton woods this morning. It was barely 40 degrees when we started, but there isn't much wind when running in the woods so we warmed up. Good luck to those racing today and tomorrow! Craig
                  -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                  also on Twitter
                    6 easy miles for me this morning. A beautiful cool morning...lots of folks out on the trails. mrsday and I went to see evryothrday yesterday (wow, when I reread that it sounds kinda fun). We went to Buffalo Wild Wings for lunch. I've never been there but have always wanted to go and watch the UFC fights on TV there. Anyway we didn't watch any fights, but had some good buffalo wings with a couple different sauces.... Mrsday had a combo plate of buffalo wings and ribs, which I thought was amusing since buffaloes don't have ribs. Then after lunch we went to OKC to do the mess around. On the way we stopped at the International Bluegrass Festival in Guthrie. I knew several of my pickin' friends would be there, and wanted to introduce DW to them (she don't go to the festivals with me....she has an issue with tents). Anyway I introduced her to several good folks I've met throughout the years. We went on in to OKC and bought a fire pit for the patio. I've been hinting to her all summer long how I'd like to have on. She bought me one yesterday....She's the best! Hopin' it gets cool enough this evening to make a fire. Good weekend to all Masters!
                    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                    munchkn883

Wait a minute....where did Ribs go? What did I miss? 5 mile walk for me yesterday and 3.1 this morning...Making Strides Against Breast Cancer.
                      nowor

Munch, great walk and Good Striding tomorrow. Munch, on page 1 of 10/3 thread DH summarized a very unpleasant time a couple of weeks ago. It's hard to say more w/o stirring up hornets. I also think Soundie and Mariposal have flown over to KR. Previously there was some cross posting but doesn't seem to be anymore. I haven't seen Karin posting at all. (sigh) What a lose.
                        Dave59

I'm down here in RochRunner territory. I forgot to look for him at the expo. Angry I was spaced out from my drive down and relieved to have finally used a restroom. Roll eyes Now that I see the course I think it would have been wise to have run some hills during the past year or so. I didn't see any flat sections on the course.

evanflein

Mariposai posted on the Portland (OR) thread, and CNYrunner posted on Aamos' thread... they're around. Just give it time, guys.
                              This is terrible terrible terrible, a Saturday afternoon Pacific time and still on the first page. I guess lots of people are busy running races this weekend. Forcast for tomorrows race, 49F, 90% humidity and 10% POP. Love it (except the humidity but what can you do?) Did a super super easy workout today, 1.5 miles on the TM, very slow and gosh it seemed kind of hard. About 50 minutes walking to burn off nervous energy, had to do something! And 30 min on the bike, really light setting so as to not tire my legs. I don't think my foot will act up tomorrow, but I still have to worry about getting a side stitch. Deep breathing deep breathing, relax relax.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Wishing all the weekend racers the best of luck! DD scored 2 more goals at her soccer game this morning. Just when it's really beginning to come together for her, the season is ending. 13.1 miles for me this morning (ave pace 10:22). Felt tired and slow, maybe still tired from yesterday’s intervals, maybe because I didn’t eat enough last night. Maybe just because I’m tired and slow. Our friends’ 2 children are staying with us overnight so they can go out for their anniversary, and I’m taking them, with mine, to a haunted house (the kids kind). Should be fun. I'll try to be brave. Wink

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."