Masters Running

some questions and ideas about Deezie's half-Ironman this weekend (Read 25 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Some questions and ideas about Deezie's half-Ironman this weekend (i think)

Add everyone’s questions and suggestions too.
    However, having done both in the days when I could, there’s nothing “half” about any kind of Ironman, though.
    I bet tracking your son’s IM last weekend, and his experience and advice, have been very valuable for your coming turn too.

. . . . . . SWIM
    1.  Have you got your goggles clean and sprayed so they won’t fog up out in the middle of the lake?  Maybe even use your son’s proven pair.  Brand new ones usually stay clear for a while and I know someone who’s tucked an extra pair into a ziplock and under my, . . I mean, his waistband to be sure.
    2.  Did you sop yourself with water proof sunscreen before the swim to be ready for the 56 miles of cycling and half marathon that follow?

3.  Check it out for your event but there’s usually no penalty or DQ for hanging on to clean/change goggles, rest, etc. to a buoy or kayak/canoe/surf boards monitoring everyone’s progress. Even if you don't, it's reassuring to know you can, and don't have to ask if you can if you do.  Maybe not the buoy lines though. .

. . . . . . T-1
    4.  sometimes sunglasses or spectacles tucked too into the waistbands or under wet suit zipper to put on while running between the swim exit and bike helps to avoid discovering that someone’s knocked over your bike and things are scattered all around to cause unnecessary delay and stress.
    5.  Is your stuff otherwise orderly laid out to get in-and-out of T-1 as fast as possible?
    Sometimes a plastic bucket helps.

Throw away any towels and socks so you won't be tempted.

Wet suit and shoes too but that might just be me.

I've seen red helium balloons to spot bikes without the stress of having

. . to look up and down all the other racks to find yours.

Do you have gels hanging from the bars with thin strips of duct tape?
    Do you have a hydration system, . . or straw or plastic aquarium
    tube to use with the water bottles they give out along the way?
    6.  Will you be able to get there early enough to get a good rack to maximize pure running and minimize bike-pushing time on the run through T-1 and T-2.
    7. Are your gears set to get going fast without the awkward shifting at low speeds?

BIKE
    8.  Do you ride along the faster, smoother, white-painted shoulder stripes with minimal coefficients of friction?
    9.  Do you like easing up to other cyclists when you’re really too tired to pass but you get so tired of looking at their butts that you power by anyway, . . . and they never catch up?
    10.  Do you keep your pedals parallel to the roadway when going into a turn and start pedaling when half-way through the corner to surge past others who don’t think you’re supposed to pedal when cornering?  
    11.  Do you grimace for photos or, even when cycling, can you do a one-handed, thumb up and smile for a joyous photo memory?
    12.  Do you use aerobars or go down on the drops as much as possible?
    Depending on speed, headwinds, etc. it can make up to 2-mph difference, . . .
    and save on pedaling down the descents.
    ps - keep pedals parallel to road when coasting down too.
    T-2
    13.  a good rack is invaluable here too; don’t let anyone else have yours.
    14. Do you have all your running stuff in a race belt, waist band, fanny pack or something to avoid having to think of what you’re supposed to do after 56 miles of cycling and can just grab it and ease into the run without that much thought?   Fasten the snaps and string your cap through too so you don’t have to do anything except pick it up and go run.   
    RUN

15. Nothing wrong with walking the first little bit either, or even a mile or so.
    16. Do you look down at your watch at the finish or throw your arms up in the victory you’ll deserve, . . . even if, . .  especially if, family and friends are crowded around with you.
    17.  Don’t be afraid to walk anytime; it’s your race, you know.
    Have fun.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Yeah, I have some advice.  Do not get so hurt you cannot run a relay race next month!    Other than that have a great time!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

New skirt in town

Tet, I have never competed in a triathlon, nor do I plan on it. But I so loved reading these jewels of advice!

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

I think I love you Tet!!

denise

MM #7877

Thats a boatload of great advice. Thank you!

Philippians 4:13.