Masters Running

Friday - 2/20/2015 (Read 35 times)

Dave59

Good morning.

SteveP - I hope you get paid triple when your unloading crew doesn't show up.

-23° here this morning, but no wind.   Forecasters seem to care more about the wind then the actual temperature.

Another 5.5 on the gym treadmill this morning. I took my tablet to the gym yesterday and asked if they had wifi. They do, so I have been watching Amazon Prime TV shows during my runs. It helps the time pass a little better.  I watched Castle yesterday and Forever today.

Dave59

Coffee, let your rich aroma
      Wake me from my morning coma
      Magic'ly, just like a genie
      Fill my brain up with caffeine-y

(From the Church Curmudgeon on Facebook)

King of PhotoShop

Mild temps at 55, light drizzle and windy.  The Saint and I got 3.1 miles in at the Park.

You're probably tired of Hudson stories, but I can't resist as I am proud of him today. He had his heart set on getting a Leadership Scholarship at SMU and as part of the requirements did a 3 minute video of himself and what qualifies him for the honor. He did a superb job, I thought, mentioning his work as a manager in the supermarket, his charitable work and so on.

But yesterday he got the letter with the bad news.  They get 800+ applications for it and only 60 spots, and so it went. He was understandably dejected, and went upstairs and I felt bad for him up there and waited for him to come down so I could console him. Well, when he came down he told me that at first he was upset, but then he bounced back.  "One quality of a leader is resilience," he said, "so I wrote them a letter thanking them for the opportunity to apply."  I read it and it was one of the best letters I ever saw.  I told him I was prouder of that letter than if he had gotten the scholarship.

But later that evening he got an email telling him he had been admitted to the School of Business at University of Texas and we are a pretty happy family today!  Spareribs

TammyinGP

I do not get tired of hearing Hudson stories and I'm especially glad you shared this one Ribs.  David also excels in his public speaking and leadership activities that he's involved in and the way Hudson handled this one and then wrote a thank you letter has planted a good seed in me, so that at some point where David competes for something like this, but is not chosen for one reason or another, this will be a good lesson for me to pass on to him to still have him thank the judges for their consideration. thank you. 

chilly, foggy, 30 degree morning, but should warm up and hit mid 50's or so. I would like it if that could happen by noon, since I'm planning on running 3 miles then. And then coach has me running another 3 on the trails with the dogs when I get home. He tells me he is going to start incorporating doubles in my schedule to help build endurance. . . 

Tammy

Sayhey! MM#130

Dave, you've become quite the poet/MC/all-around RAer.    I might stop short at Mr. Congeniality, but convince me .  As a fellow coffee hound, I'm liking the SB cards for the volunteers and the verse.

Oh ho, I WOULD wish Holly's tax troubles on that Texan Ribs wrote about.  WTG, Hudson, on all counts.  Happy days, and not tired of those stories, Ribs and Saint, nosiree Bob.  or Gregory .

I am dragging DH off to the Gasparilla Distance Classic this weekend.  He's doing the 15K.  I'm being piggy.

My work colleague is worried his black pepper may have sustained frost damage last night .

Steve, agree you should get triple time pay AND triple cookies.  I love love love cookies.  My favorite dessert.

Thanks for the tip on the running club, tet.  I will try and visit her (she's a Tammy, too) as she is lots of fun and I will miss her.

Sheesh, this gettin' older....the ankle is mending, but now the right side of me is acting up.  Right hip a little wonky and my stoopid bunion (I'm not a high heel wearer, but my mom had 'em) on the right foot which has co-existed nicely with the rest of me for years and years all of a sudden is wanting attention.  The toes aren't out of alignment or anything, but the bump just sort of ouches me when I run.  So I'm taping it and lacing my shoes funny.  Fortunately, I got some big, cushioned clodhoppers for the ankle, so now they're comforting the other side.

Just 2 for me--bagel run for the weekend.  6 slowish ones last night--ran in sight of Speedsters, but I ran toward the sunset as it was pretty.

Dave, back to you....and Br0egeR, don't make us come get you in June.  Really hoping you'll both be there!  And look what Holly's going through, dental surgery, stolen identity, she deserves to see you [I'm so NOT above guilt-tripping y'all ).

Greta weekends,

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Dave59

RIbs & Tammy - I'm glad you are raising good respectable leaders.  The world needs people like that so people like me have someone to rebel (defy, disobey, revolt, mutiny, riot, challenge, oppose, resist) against.

TammyinGP

LOL DaveGru.  

Tammy

King of PhotoShop

I love Dave's posts.

Hey Tet, no chance I would get to Seattle that early but would love to see any or all of the fine group you mentioned. I usually organize travel to arrive dinner time.

Great hearing from the non-runner but ever cheerful Breger.  How's it going Bill?  Spareribs

Mike E

MM #5615

Has anybody checked the snow banks for Jay?

Why is it that when I hear the phrase "Hudson stories" I immediately think it will be about a dog? Wasn't that the name of someone's dog around here -- Hopeful Mary, maybe? Or CNY?

Like Dave said, even colder than yesterday as I registered -13F on the car just before I walked into Planet Fitness for a workout (OK, I walked more miles than degrees!). Ran about 3 miles on the TM, then a round of weights.

Have a good weekend, everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

King of PhotoShop

CNY's dog is named Hudson. She bought it from that woman here who breeds dogs, the one who dances and is cute. I forget her name, Mary or something like that.

But Hudson is a cool name isn't it?  Here's how we got it.  My middle son is named Travis and he was born in NY.  When we moved to TX and my wife was expecting a boy, I said, "So we have a NY baby with a Texan name (Col. Travis, the Alamo, hugely Texan!), now let's give our Texan son a NY name." And so we named him Hudson after our majestic river.

CNY just named her dog Hudson because she is crazy about me I suspect.  Spareribs

TammyinGP

Ran 3 in a warm sunshine on my lunch hour. Will run another 3 mi on the trails with the dogs when I get home.

I think I'll have some spareribs tonight for dinner. . . because I'm crazy about Ribs. 

Tammy

Henrun

Beautiful sunshine but bitter cold today. Went to the Y for yoga and a swim- nice cross training.

dg.

nobody's beating up Hudson!

Marathon Maniac #957

But yesterday he got the letter with the bad news.  They get 800+ applications for it and only 60 spots, and so it went. He was understandably dejected, and went upstairs and I felt bad for him up there and waited for him to come down so I could console him. Well, when he came down he told me that at first he was upset, but then he bounced back.  "One quality of a leader is resilience," he said, "so I wrote them a letter thanking them for the opportunity to apply."  I read it and it was one of the best letters I ever saw.  I told him I was prouder of that letter than if he had gotten the scholarship.

I love this! What a fine young man that is!

Aamos - I love cookies, too!  I don't think I have ever met a bad one.

Dave and Mike -

Tomorrow I am going to the funeral of my coworker's husband, the man who killed himself.  Truthfully, I do not know this woman well, and we do not socialize outside of work or anything, so I was hesitant about going, but our boss made it clear that we are all expected there.  However, the 5-8" of snow we are supposed to get tonight, which is supposed to turn to freezing rain mid-day, is not going to make the trip easy.  Is it tacky to wear slacks and snow boots to a funeral?

5.6 miles for me today on the TM.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."