Masters Running

Thurs 4/2 Masters Runs and fun stuff... Weekend getting closer! (Read 491 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

At work AGAIN early...hey, my department was the only one that was profitable in March. Cool for me, but really want the whole dealership doing well though right now, during hard times. Very good morning everyone....evryday, I am sad to say your doggie impregnated the neighbors dog...and you are responsible Buddie. But Mary has things under control...geez, ya forced it out of me dude....thanks Mary! Had another "one of those runs last night" I am sticking to Ribs plan of a mid week long run with speed work built into it. Since coming back from injury, I really didn't know what to do right now...as I am feeling good and pain free (and going to keep it that way, period!) As I ran to the track I debated...mile repeats - 1000 M repeats - 1/2 mile repeats. Once I ran the (around) 4 miles to the track as a warm up, I decided on mile repeats. I was feeling kinda dead legged and sluggish running to the track. But I learned last year that means absolutely nothing at all, because there is just something about getting the HR up which gets blood flowing to the legs and makes them feel good...like flushing the pipes out. I ran my first mile repeat by feel...just nice and easy and not laboring as I don't need that right now. After my first mile repeat I slowly jogged to recover....recover from what I said to myself... that mile was 7:58. I then decided to do something more challenging, but not hard by no means....a 5K where I worked myself, but didn't kill myself either. I took off and concentrated on form and kept it at a pace that I was comfortable with, and felt like I was in control...a big deal to me! When finished, I felt exhilarated and great, and knew I found a good balance for where I am right now. Ribs talk about track work, made me want to hit the track too...I absolutely love track workouts. I love running to the track - the precise distance I am running - feels like I am at a high school track workout allll over again. And Ribs you were right yesterday when you talked about the one's that pushes through hard speed workouts, even if tired and worn out. I am months away from THAT kind of work...but love and crave it!!! Again, IRC with the temp at 58 degrees and sunny out. But, and a big but....was the 30 mph winds which made the back stretch and 3rd and 4th turns kinda rough... then the whole way home was into the same wind. Details: 12 miles (stopped right at 12 miles, and fast walked 1/2 mile home for a cool down) - 1:41:23 - 8:26 overall ave pace. 1st mile repeat at 7:58 pace. 5K in the middle 23:02 - 7:25 ave pace which was very "controlled" and easy! Ok Ribs, correct me if I am wrong. I know you would prefer a mid week long run at about 9 to 10 miles...right? But here is my reasoning...this Sat is my "short" long run. I will be fine with my 12 miler this Sat, but the next Sat after this one will be 16 miles building up to the Seattle Marathon. That is when I will cut back on my Weds night track work...to always get ready for the next "big workout" This is where me and him would have issues which I better understand now...setting myself up for my next workout, and realizing the workouts have a cumulative affect. Last year I would of said "Ribs, this speed work is too easy" Now I totally understand, nope...just right as I have other runs to be concerned with. Last night was another run that made me feel invigorated, not beat up....cool as I am on my way back. Oh, did ya all notice...good runs make me chatty...hope that is ok. Pranks yesterday that I didn't mention...hehe. Got the Vin numbers off the GM executives cars that were here at work yesterday, and made new keys and moved their vehicles all around (I have the power to do that)....so freaking funny watching them look for their cars Big grin Twocat, I really really thought about you on my run last night...luv you brother, and hope sooooo very bad you find something out soon....always something that brings tears to my eyes. And Erika, you too sweetheart. I really don't want you feeling like you do right now about running...wish there was something I could do, really.....I would try and run 100 miles if I thought that would help!!! Tet, I have mile 16 totally covered buddie....you??? Hope you all have a Blessed and Good Day..... Chatty TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Nice workout there Tim, hard but easy and you finished exhilarated craving more WOW! I think it was Dr. Sheehan who said something like your running goal today should be to run again tomorrow. He meant tomorrow figuratively not specifically the next day. Anyway that's the philosophy I adopted about 4 years ago. That's my excuse story and I'm sticking to it Wink 6.2 miles last evening with middle 4 pushed by a very fast young lady (40) at about tempo pace 8:10, Vacation day today 4.5 miles easy, cross training with yard work this afternoon Big grin High School baseball season has started I umpired Tues. & another one today then 2 on Saturday that will be my normal schedule the next 2 months.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Nice run Tim! Technically, I think Tim probably ran at or near his Tempo pace today and not a real speed workout for him. His speedwork will be much quicker than what he ran today. I envy Tim who craves the hard workouts. I don't always. Today was one of those days. I slept a bit too long this morning so couldn't run the 10 miles I had planned on. Probably a little tired due to the 1600m swim yesterday. Today was Tempo day. Anyway, 8 miles altogether with 4 Tempo miles in the middle. I targetted 7:59 per mile and I actually ran 8:04, 7:57, 7:58, and 7:50. Pretty good. But this one felt harder than I figured it would. The weather is warming up quickly down here and the humidity is rising. I can feel the (understandable) slow down happening. For one who lives in this stuff I really don't run well in H&H. I much prefer running in cooler temps. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Hill Runner

Good morning Tim & Sarge, Nice mid-week run Tim. 10.54 miles of hills @ 9:18 pace...everything felt great this morning running in a beautiful light rain/ 60'ish. Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
          Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
          Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Good morning, all! Tim - you are evil ;-). Nice workout! Denise - I like your birthday philosophy! Sarge - I'm with you - I want to still be running a decade or two from now. I work with so many guys who "used to run" and are now crippled by past running injuries. Rainy, yucky morning here, but it's supposed to warm up and be nice this afternoon. Next week we dip back into the 30's and 40's -darn. Progressive treadmill run this morning - 6.85 miles at 150 AHR. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Morning all and good running! Tempo must be a theme or something today. I ran at 5:15 a.m. with a triathlete friend as he gears up the running fitness for a duathlon next month. We ran 8.2 miles with 15 minutes at 7:40ish pace and then after 5 minutes at 8:15 pace, another tempo segment at 7:30 pace----first tempo stuff since awhile and I was just experimenting---not quite Ribs style with precision and input, but all was fine. Overall pace at 8:27 when it was all said and done. 43º foggy, misty, and spooky morning. Most potholes were avoided and I tried not to think too much about weird looming shapes by the side of the road….mailboxes? bears? fire hydrants? Coy-dogs?....who knows? It felt good to test the pace a bit. My legs were okay, but my breathing was pretty labored as this head cold fades away. Now I know a bit more about where I am pace wise and what I need to do. Holly! I love that your DD was all ready and waiting to run with you yesterday. That’s fabulous and who knows? Maybe she’ll learn to love it. Hang tough dg…you are doing well! In it for the long haul.....
                Very odd posting from Europe. I just finished having lunch out here and I am still one of day's early posters. I was supposed to meet "my" team at 10:30am. The time comes and nobody is in the lobby where we are supposed to meet. So I call up to one of the rooms, get a groggy voice who tells me they were out late and just got up. How about 11am? Roll eyes Oh, to be young again! I am so jealous! As to running here is an email from my doctor that is not very hopeful: I'm not sure that I have any explanation for your continued symptoms. I know that you have been seen by multiple physicians who have been unable to define any specific cause. I'm not sure I can come up with a diagnosis. If you wish you could make an appointment with me. I could revaluate your leg, I suspected a muscle injury since no other causes have been forthcoming, but that should have healed by now. After an examination of your leg I may consider an MRI since that test has not been done in the past. Otherwise I'm not sure there is anything else I have to offer you. I am going to make an appointment and see about getting that MRI done. I wish things were more upbeat than they are but they are what they are. He is right, any mechanical problem should feel substantially better by now.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Slo

Great workout Time......Great Read. You said: Ok Ribs, correct me if I am wrong. I know you would prefer a mid week long run at about 9 to 10 miles...right? But here is my reasoning...this Sat is my "short" long run. I will be fine with my 12 miler this Sat, but the next Sat after this one will be 16 miles building up to the Seattle Marathon. That is when I will cut back on my Weds night track work...to always get ready for the next "big workout" This is where me and him would have issues which I better understand now...setting myself up for my next workout, and realizing the workouts have a cumulative affect. Cumulative affect is the appropriate phrase when it's all said an done. The only reason we work on a seven day training schedule is because of the calendar. There is nothing magic that happens at mile 20 in a long run and there's nothing wrong with - If your feelin it today then go with it and adjust your training tomorrow- I end up with back to back hard work outs from time to time because of that very reason. Personally, I don't think there is much difference between a 12 miler mid week and a 14 end of week (26 miles) as to someone who ran 9.5 mid week and 16.5 end of week........On 2nd thought, I think the 1st example may offer more stimulus if he took 90 mins or more to complete the first run. Hadd offers a very good explanation of the changes that occur in our mitochondria when training at LSD over 90 minutes. Just my opinion.....and I ain't runnin sub 3 marathons or coached anyone that has either...... Cool Clowning around Cool - buyer beware - EXCELLENT workout for me last night. Prior to Ribs, I had already planned an interval session. I did it on the treadmill because of the wind. 2 mi Warm Up 6 x 800's Pace varied slightly. 7:08 - 7:18 200m recoveries at 9:48 1.75 mi CD The 1st two intervals felt very easy and I resisted the urge to increase the speed......I'd say I picked a pretty good pace. By the 6th interval the pace was a challenge......not so much that it was a struggle to complete or that a walk break was going to be required but enough to feel relief when I completed the session. I SLEPT in this morning and tonights plan may change a bit.....I have got to get some saddle time in. The forcast calls for rain, my bike has been in the trainer all winter so maybe it's time to use it ! I might sneak in a 2 mile run just to log a run if for no other reason. Big grin

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Yep, I got things under control Tim ..... except for my alarm clock that is. I will be going out at lunch time to buy a new one I guess. It was fine again all day yesterday and during the night decided to die. . . . so I did not get up for my run again this morning. I did, however, get out last night for some intervals. 1 miles W/U then six 1/4 mile intervals with .15 mile recovery periods. 2:11 / 2:06 / 2:11 / 2:07 / 2:12 / 2:09 1.23 mile C/D for an overall 4.62 mile evening. The wind was a major factor in a few of these - but overall I think I did pretty good - especially since it was an evening workout. I prefer the mornings. Now tonight I have to get in a 4.38 mile recovery run. Big grin Edited to add that I do not know why this lazy bum isn't waking me up!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Mariposai

Any day Mary posts a puppy picture is a happy day around here. twocat: you should join your students tonight Cool. Sorry to hear about the doctor's note. ribs, I suggested the slow speed workout for you because I think you should do some hill running first before you go into speed...this will avoid future injury, I have been told Tongue Too little time at the office, it must be spring time...I only regret to not be able to catch up with you folks as much as I would like Dead. Today: 5 slow miles in the drizzle. Last night: it was track work out. I felt proud of myself for the fact that I was the only soul in the track bidding goodbye to the day and welcoming the night. We runners are lucky souls, aren’t we? After a prolonged warm up I did the following: 1x 1km in 5:03 rest for 1 minute 1x 1km in5:00 rest for 1 minute 1x 1km in5:00 rest for 1 minute 1x 1km in 5:01 rest for 1 minute 1x 1km in5:02 rest for 1 minute After a well deserved rest and a little stretching I dived into the challenge of the day… 1x400m in 1:46, which is at around 7’ pace, then jog for recovery 1x400m in 145, jog 1x400m in 147, jog Black eye 1x400m in 145, jog Ran a few laps to cool down for a total of 10 miles and called it good.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

If you look at Mariposai's workout, you would think I was trying to kill her, but she is very late in her marathon training program and it is important she get some VO2 max work in now just to sharpen. Any speed she does after this will be light and quick and have plenty of recovery. I congratulate her on her FINAL tough track workout. She was in oxygen debt during this workout and persevered through it. This is a very good sign. Tim, I am with Bill in that what you did last night was more like a tempo run for you, and as long as you allow yourself some mild recovery today and not go ape, you can handle whatever you need to this weekend. SLO, based on your comments, there have been a number of people who advocate two-week cycles because you can run hard-easy in two day sets and have an even number. You and Sarge reinforce that important point about each day's workout should have you first thinking, "If I do this, what will I do tomorrow and the next day?" Think two days out for every workout you do. I love seeing CNY make progress. Good going Karin. I set out to do 3 slow recovery miles but felt comfortable running them at an easy pace. That was encouraging. I go to the Y every day after my run and do dynamic flexibility every day, and then 3 days a week I also do a core workout. One of the Y trainers has been coming into the workout room and talking to me during my workout and she suggested I add crunches to my plank sets. So I am doing that and now up to over 100 ab crunches with my other stuff. Spareribs
                        Mariposai

her FINAL tough track workout. She was in oxygen debt during this workout and persevered through it. This is a very good sign.
                          love that word FINAL...yeap...I was in oxygen debt for sure and I can't say it felt good. But amazingly my legs were just fine this morning. Thanks ohhhhhhh wiseeeeeeeoneeeeeeeeee. Wink

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #3309

Tim, I am with Bill in that what you did last night was more like a tempo run for you, and as long as you allow yourself some mild recovery today and not go ape, you can handle whatever you need to this weekend.
                            And tempo work is all I am going to do for my Seattle Marathon....NO super speedy runs. Then after Seattle, I will continue to base build and start doing some hard track work leading up to my A race in the fall. But will admit, last night I really just wanted to take off and runs some fast 1000 M's...but I know I can't. And I had all the times Ribs gave me still in my head, when ever I reached a certain point on the track...even though I may have ran them too fast though. Yes Ribs, a nice slow / recovery paced run tonight...6 miles or so. Great workout Mariposai...sorry, but when and where is your Marathon? Nice paces Bill, 6 - 20 milers huh?...I only have time to "squeeze" 3 into my program with the limited time I have before my Marathon. Happy you felt great Peter Smile I agree Ribs, sooo nice to see Karin making good progress right now...WTG TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Afternoon! Just coming up for air at work now. Both kids and I were scheduled for dental cleanings this morning, so when I got to work late I had a pile of things to dive into. 2 slow and easy miles for me this morning, one with DD and one without. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

Good afternoon, Nancy, wtg!!! Same to Mary in the wind, Slo_hand on the TM, Bill in the H&H, (pretend it's a pool & you're 21?), Tim on the track,...I'm going to stop because I know I'll miss somebody. Karin.. thanks! I'm glad you're feeling better. Holly so neat your DD wants to run wtih you! You planted that seed a long time ago. I just remembered her waiting for you outside when you came home from your run.... saying "Go Mommy, go Mommy!". Was that in CR days or here? Bet you could get away with posting that picture again. Wink. Erika.. I'm glad your run last night went well. Just 40 min. this morning, a mix of PT exercises, the injured runner dvd & Verstegen's prehab, and a half hr. walk with Sadie. I have PT this afternoon, and a follow up appt. with the sports med doc tomorrow morning.