Masters Running

Monday, 8.24.15 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' kids.

Sorry to learn of your mom's passing, Janie. It is good to have you back here. Congrats to Nicholas for his racing and family-organizing skills! Take care in that air, Mariposai. Congrats to Transition-Tet. Looks like you and Noah had a great time, Steve. Happy Birthdays to Ribs, Missy and Larva. I hope you get your back back soon, Twocat.

My SIL and family arrived late Saturday afternoon, about 3/4 of an hour before we had to leave for a long-ago-planned dinner party. So, to help celebrate SIL & BIL's recent anniversary, we made dinner reservations for them at a good local restaurant and gave them a gift-cert that should have covered the bill.That also helped us feel less guilty about leaving them on their own (even though they knew about the dinner party when they asked if they could come visit). We didn't get home till about 11:30, so I slept in a bit on Sunday morning. Because we had had so little time to spend with our guests on Saturday, I didn't feel right taking about 3 hours on Sunday to get to my race, race it, and get back home. So I went for decent 7-miler early in the morning instead. Later, a friend called and asked for help bringing in a new entertainment cabinet she just bought. So BIL and I went over to help. The friend and her girlfriend had already gotten the boxes (it was an "assembly required" kit) in the house. However, the real reason we were there was to get the monster old entertainment unit down to a room in the basement. There was no way we could take it down the stairs, so we took it outside and around the house (on a small wagon) to the walk-out basement doors. 45 sweaty minutes later, we had it done. After another shower, we helped the folks back at our house prepare a variety of dishes, and the plan (well-executed) was to just relax, talk, and graze for the rest of the day. BIL and SIL are coming to the office for a meeting this morning (they are consultants that we are using), and then the family will head back to NJ this afternoon.

Mondays are my SRD, and today was no exception, so no workout this morning.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Jay - sorry about your missed race.

I bet you were missed but it's kind of fun in a perverse sort of way to be hosting others who have no idea, and don't care, that we'd otherwise be doing something else.  However, after your weekend that rivals some of the past goddess multi-tasking, you deserve the whole week off.

That’s what I might do after my annual super-wimp 19.35 mile triathlon (0.25/16/3.1) yesterday that took less than two hours. By comparison, it’d take me an over-the-cutoff 8-10 hours nowadays for the 70.3 miles scheduled in Deezie’s upcoming Half-Iron (1.2/56/13.1) - good luck. 
      Steve - trail runs are fun for us runners but I’ve never heard of the courtesy of  one with the whole family in mind, . . . let alone someone else biting of a half mary on technical trails without that much training, it seems . . . did you?
      Wildfire report - ocean winds’re changing again to blow the smoke we got from posie-land over the weekend back where it came from.  Hope that’s all they get.   Hope Tammy-Land is okay too.,
      ps janie - we hardly recognized you with your new avatar.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

A whirlwind weekend, taking Hudson to Austin for school, then big birthday celebration yesterday but here I am back again.

Janie, I'm so sorry about your loss but happy you are back with us.

Mariposai, feeling for you and your friends in Omak after those terrible fires and smoke.  Hope all is going better now.

EK, if you are catching this today, the Saint and I will take you to dinner tonight if you are free.  Let us know. I'm at 214 870 7755.

Got 3.3 slow miles in today on the dirt track,  6 yesterday at Lake Grapevine.

Last night the boys took the Saint and me to a Brazilian restaurant for a fabulous meal, after a visit to an Improv for some comedy.  A friend of mine was in the troupe and we wanted to see him perform.  During dinner, Hudson called us and we put him on Facetime so he could talk with us all.

Now it's back to the grind.  Spareribs

Sayhey! MM#130

What Jay said.  Especially Janie.   (Also, that was tough, giving up your race.  I mean, I bet Ribs wouldn't forgo his b-day celebration.  )

Nice Tri, tet.  And agreed, deez is a very lovely super beast.

I love going out in the am and not knowing where I'm going to run.  Decided as I turned the corner today to head over to Lakes Park; it's been a while.  Really lovely, birds awakening, still waters, pretty sunrise, 8 easy miles.  Appreciated the air, thinking of you Nancy--made me do the full 8 mile loop.

Oh and yesterday, Hermosaboy wrote: "Had an odd experience yesterday when I bonked on a long run for the first time in I don't know how long.  Think it was probably a result of a high dewpoint sneaking up on me, but it sure wasn't fun. "

.........this is what happens when you are fast.   If you just poke around on your long runs, no problem!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Slo

The weekend was wonderful while it lasted.

Back to the grind...Speaking of which...Jlynne, I'll be running somewhere in Green Bay Wed and Thurs. Coming up to do an acceptance test on a new piece of packing equipment for the plant.

Nice cold front hanging around for anotherr day or so. 46 degrees this morning. Gottat love running in that.

HermosaBoy

Oh and yesterday, Hermosaboy wrote: "Had an odd experience yesterday when I bonked on a long run for the first time in I don't know how long.  Think it was probably a result of a high dewpoint sneaking up on me, but it sure wasn't fun. "

.........this is what happens when you are fast.   If you just poke around on your long runs, no problem!

I think a lot of people in Minnesota had a rough time on Saturday.  It was a bit moist out.  So bad that my inserts in my shoes were bunching up inside the shoes.

And just to be clear -- I believe you are 1 and 0 against me in races.  Smile

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Janie, I'm sorry to hear about your mother.  ribs, happy birthday.  steve, it sounds like quite the racing weekend with Noah.

Nice long runs for Holly, Aamos, and evan.

This morning, it was in the mid 50s and there was a light wind.  I did 3 miles at an 11:30 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

janie, sorry about your mom and welcome back to RA.

Glad to hear that mariposai has made it through the worst of it.

Biked about 12 miles yesterday with DW, and then this afternoon we took a brisk 4-mile walk with a break midway for a coffee (and a donut!) at a new Tim Horton's just off the trail at our turnaround point. We're having a refreshing cool spell this week that's probably a harbinger of the Fall season approaching, but I'm not complaining!

Hope everyone's week is off to a good start!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

Janie - My mom died of ALS, too, and it is a terrible disease.

Ribs - Happy Belated Birthday!  Sounds like you had a great time.

Jay - I'm tired just reading about your weekend.

No run for me today, but about 45 minutes of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

I'm also sorry you missed your race, Jay. he way you treat people, I'm going to try and move our family next door.

Tet, I didn't have squat for training. I know I can do the distance. My goal as to meet last year's time. It looked like I could get a sub 3:00. The wheels fell off after 11 miles. It was to just have fun and play with our grandson with out having to explain his learned behavior to Mom and Dad. I simply was getting a run in when I can. The course isn't as tough as the 6 miler the dog and I do as often as possible. I went into work Wednesday morning. Checked my time and decided to take Friday off so I didn't start the race pre-toasted. Registration is already open for next year. Entrants get lunch and dinner an access to beverages (water, soda and beer) until everything runs out or the last finisher comes in. Spectators get the same deal for $5.00 a day.  The RD has run across the United States a few times. He take time to introduce volunteers. The party starts at 5:30 AM. The races start at 6:00 AM and end at 10:00 PM. I've attempted to be a nice guy, however, the people involved with the event set the bar very high. We showed up at a home owners' campground. Free camping for the weekend. As soon as DW and I pulled up, the owner came up and she said dinner was at 7:00 PM. Are you kidding?  For the weekend, there are 750 spots available for the race. It's the maximum impact they want to have on the trail system.  At the time of this posting, 550 of the spots have been filled.

Aamos talks about how slow she is while she may have to build an addition for her hardware.

SteveP

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I did a speed workout at the track, tonight.  The highlight was, during my cool down laps, a 3rd grader, who had been hanging around, joined me and was excitedly telling me about the 5k Color Run he did this summer.  He only went one lap with me, but he sure did make my day.

Okay--that's it--gotta go.  See ya!

Mike E sorry! I did not realize that you were writing about 2016! That is a different story. But, I try to avoid committing financially much more than a month out. This way I let myself heal up when necessary, without worrying about my training for a target race.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

Well, I am sure glad I have not committed myself to a fall marathon. I have ran only 7 miles in the last two weeks. Stress out from the fires and now we have a "hazardous weather" all around us. It is not safe to even go outside and breath let alone to run. Run inside? not a chance...the houses  around us smells like ashes. It is a good thing that running is not a temptation because there is so much to be done to help those who lost everything connect with resources. Today my victory is that I crafted a proposal and was successful in getting some funding allocated for the fire victims from the state. No small task, but mission accomplished.

Tomorrow's mission is to keep my asthma calm as I push forward with more relief efforts. Glad to be alive and well and breathing and my house intact!

Cheers to all, ohhh and please run a mile for me!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Nancy - Can you get an air purifier to run at least in your bedroom at night?

Steve - what race are you talking about?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."