Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 9.25.14 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

It's tough to decide whether or not to join the discussion about weather, but I think I will. As Will Rogers said, "Everyone talks about the weather, but no one does anything about it." It has been a gorgeous week here, with temps in the 40s at night, and the mid-upper 60s during the day. The color of the leaves on some of the maples is breathtaking, ranging from bright yellow, through rich orange, and to brilliant reds. Even the green leaves in that mix appear more vibrant than when that was the only color around. I hope anyone running anywhere in the country where the leaves will be changing over the next few weeks will take at least a moment to appreciate the glorious show that nature puts on at this time of the year. I'm lucky enough to see it every year, and am amazed by it every year.

6 RW miles in 46F temps at 4 o'dark this morning. The skies were lightly overcast, but it was enough to render this a starless and moonless morning. For most of the workout, the only sound was my breathing and soft footstrikes, and the incoming waves, and those sounds in the quiet were nicely soothing. It took me a while to find my rhythm, but I enjoyed the workout none the less. Afterward, I was stretching in the den. After rolling on a tennis ball for a while, the cat decided she wanted the ball. So she dragged it over to one of her many cardboard boxes. She jumped in, pulled the ball in after her, and then chased it around the inside of the box for a while. So we both got a workout this morning...

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Mornin' to you, Jay, and all that follow.

Agree 100% with you on the weather.  This is what gets me through the summer drippy shorts days.  8-1/4 miles this morning at about 20 minutes later than I should have started, judging by the time I left for work .  oh well, no meetings scheduled and here's where being on salary comes in handy.  Not fast, but right about what I'm hoping will be my overall marathon pace.  Even managed to lower the average by a few seconds in the last mile.

Help me to beat my blerch!

and if you liked the Blerch, dig a little farther and read his ode to his Tesla.  Many snorks along the way.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

We're also having a stretch of great weather after a cool & wet summer, but right now I'm in a stretch of runless days due to various other commitments. Mainly, the biking season ends here for me shortly whereas I can run year-round (barring another snowy winter like last year!), so I've been taking advantage of that.

My DW and I are going out for a couple hours this afternoon and I'll get out on my own for a (faster) ride tomorrow afternoon. After putting about $1K in upgrades on my carbon-fiber bike last winter, this might only be about the 5th time I've been out on it since then! I did plenty of biking, but on my other bikes that were more suitable for what I was doing. But if I ever get back to entering duathlons I'll be all set.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

wildchild

Carolyn

In keeping with Jay's theme, the weather has been gorgeous here, too, as it was all summer!  The aspen colors are spectacular this year. and the display right on my road and driveway are some of the best!  Jay, bummer that you RW in the dark when you can't see the colors! But the sound of the ocean sounds pretty nice.

I hope the colors at the VT50 are pretty, to take my mind off of the running 50 miles part!   I think this may be the first RA race meetup at an ultra, isn't it?  I've seen Mike and Holly at two RA meetups each so far (Flying Monkey and Moab with Holly, and Wyoming and Tunnel with Mike), and I'm looking forward to seeing them both again this weekend!   The forecast looks warm (high of 80!) but there are still 2 days for that to change...

Here's a picture of my driveway - see what I mean?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

BlazinCajun

Beautiful photo wildchild

Ran some speed work last night in 64 degree temperatures then stretched in the 73 degree pool. Ran 7.5 miles on the tready this morning at work. Love these temperatures. Have a great week!

Andrew
            ------------------
            God, my Lord, is my strength;
            he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
            and enables me to go upon the heights.
            Hb 3:19

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I hope the colors at the VT50 are pretty, to take my mind off of the running 50 miles part!   I think this may be the first RA race meetup at an ultra, isn't it?  I've seen Mike and Holly at two RA meetups each so far (Flying Monkey and Moab with Holly, and Wyoming and Tunnel with Mike), and I'm looking forward to seeing them both again this weekend!   The forecast looks warm (high of 80!) but there are still 2 days for that to change...

Right--they were JUST marathons.  Happy VT50 to everyone.  you should have a lot of leaf peepers for company.  driving around anyway.  I think a lot of people that go up never really get out of their cars, much less run 50 of any unit of length you pick.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I love the weather too and, growing up in the coastal rain country where precipitation is a way of life and translates into thick rain forests full of happy creatures and waters full of fish, except for when the seas and swells are washing over the wheelhouse in the middle-of-nowhere far from the sight of shore and you''re scared the next one’s gunna be a sinker wave, I don’t think I’ve ever whined about the weather that makes where we are what it is, and what we are what we are too.
                In fact, after a spectacular Seattle summer warmer and drier than normal with even ten-degrees-above-normal days seeming cool, I’m kind of, if not fervently, hoping that this week’s delightful drizzle continues, if not drenches, at this weekend’s Bridle Trails 50K.  No wonder I always vow never to run again in the misery of the pouring down rains we get on a regular basis, . . .  but always do.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

After rolling on a tennis ball for a while, the cat decided she wanted the ball. So she dragged it over to one of her many cardboard boxes. She jumped in, pulled the ball in after her, and then chased it around the inside of the box for a while. So we both got a workout this morning...

Carolyn - gorgeous!

I am also very excited about the VT meet-up.  We are very blessed I think on this forum in that, in spite of living far away from each other, there seem to be fairly regular meet-ups between us, and that really is what makes the memories, more than the races themselves.  The VT meet-up will be special for me too because my next-older brother, who lives in Virginia, is driving up to spend the weekend with us.  He mentioned before that he was interested in being there for one of my races, and this was an opportunity to combine that visit with a cross-country motorcycle trip during a lovely time of year.

5 easy-paced miles for me this morning in 51 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

I was going to do a grammar police on the cat rolling on the tennis ball, but the story was cute enough.

Wouldn't be too cool to have trees like that in Texas.  I could send you some pics of brown, flat and ugly if anybody wants them.

4.5 at about 10:12 pace for the Saint and me this morning, temps in the 60's, in other words freezing!  Spareribs

TammyinGP

Good morning.

I'm sorry that I won't be able to see you at all when I'm back in MN, Starr.  But I'm glad that I'll get to see MikeE.

David has a meet today that I'll miss again. It's about 2 hrs away with with me taking almost a week off for my trip, I probably shouldn't take 1/2 the day off work today also.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Nice long run for Twocat.  This morning, it was about 50° and there was a light wind.  I did 4 miles at a 10:36 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Tom--you must be enjoying the fall weather, too.  You've had several pretty quick runs recently.

C-R

Seems everyone is enjoying the milder climate. And what a wonderful pic Carolyn.

Ran at recovery pace today. My legs were starting to tell me I need to back down so I ran for an hour at a relaxed pace and got 6.8 but it felt so nice.

Patrick has a cross country meet and I actually get to watch. I'll see if I can get a picture or two and post.

Happy meet up for the VT50 folks.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Dave59

...tapping fingers on desk....  I have checked in on-line for my trip to Tallahassee.  Is it too early to go to the airport now for a 6:45am flight on Friday?

I ran 3 miles this morning. The rest of the day has been in meetings or pretending to work.

Weather here is perfect. Mid-70's and sunny for as far as the eye can see.  (Well, a few clouds here and there to be honest, but the white looks good on the blue background.)  50's at night.