Masters Running

Spirit of Winter 5K - Bay City, MI (Read 237 times)

Summary: 26:51 for an 8:39 pace. This is about 30 seconds slower than last month's race on the same course. I was 39/55 OA and 3/5 in my AG. This was the third of three winter races in the last three months on the same course. I've been doing this series for four years and always see a bunch of my "running friends". There were at least a dozen that I talked to and know by name plus others that look familiar but I don't have a name to go with the faces. I got in a bit of pre-race visiting with a number of people. For the first time, they gave medals to the 25 or 30 who did all three races in the series this winter. I thought that was a nice touch. The temperature was about 12 degrees, there was a light breeze, and about half of the course was covered with packed snow/ice. At the start line, we were chatting and waiting for a few comments from the race director when we got a "go" without warning. The rushed start became quickly obvious as we cross a train track about 20 yards into the race and a train was coming. Since I didn't hear otherwise, I assume everyone beat the train. About half a mile into the course, Chris, who I haven't seen at other races but know from elsewhere caught me and, after a few steps passed me but didn't get far ahead. Since my last couple of runs have felt especially hard, I was concerned about how I would do. My pace for the first mile was about 8:12 which was ok but I could tell I was starting to fade. The second mile, my pace was about 8:40 and it felt hard. With about half a mile to go, I began to gain on Chris and passed him back. My pace for the last 1.1 miles was 8:38 and I was glad to be done. A group of us waited at the finish line to cheer in those behind us as we visited some more. After a little visiting inside, awards were presented and another enjoyable race experience was over. It was interesting looking over the results after the race. Most, but not all, were slower than last month. In my AG, we had the same 5 as last month and we finished in the same order. All 5 were slower than last month with the extra time getting larger as we went from an extra 14 seconsds for first to an extra minute and a half for fifth. Upon arriving home, I did another 5 miles to give me 8 for the day. TomS
      Interesting stats on the report. Maybe the course keeps getting longer? Or people are getting literally, tired of winter? Must be the February doldrums. Good job getting out there racing in the winter.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

SteveP

Tom, Your RRs are always a joy to read.

SteveP

Henrun

Good report Tom. Yes, our times seem to be slower in February (even the race I ran in Florida last week).
          btb1490

Tom, since this is the 3rd of 3 winter races, does that mean winter is over? Wink It's gotta be hard to compare times from one race to the next when the weather conditions vary so much. Snow and ice on the course has got to slow you down. I think the point of these races is to keep you motivated over the winter, and a good excuse to get together with friends, and it seems like that's just what they did for you.
            stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Tom--a winter races series sounds like fun. not that I'd be worried about you not socializing at a race, but always nice to hear what a big running community you're part of. Curious--did you (or anyone else) use traction aids for the race? Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Sounds like a fun time. Congrats on the 3rd place AG!
                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                  Tom--a winter races series sounds like fun. not that I'd be worried about you not socializing at a race, but always nice to hear what a big running community you're part of. Curious--did you (or anyone else) use traction aids for the race? Kevin
                  Stumpy, I was not aware of anyone wearing any. Since half of the route was clear and dry, traction aids would have been bothersome there. Also, since the temperature was so low, the packed snow/ice was not real slippery. Sometimes, I would feel my foot slip a bit when I pushed off. On the turns I slowed more than normal and was especially careful. On the iciest spots, like when we went under an overpass, I was extra aware and cautious. I never felt that I was in danger of falling, but was consciously more careful than usual. TomS
                  huskydon

12 degrees? I hope you were well bundled up. Brrr.... Good solid outing, 3rd in AG is nice too. Thanks for the report. I wish there were more RR's to read..... huskydon
                      great race report!! maybe the weather and the rushed start threw people off a bit but sounds like awesome race stats to me!! nice job!!

denise

evanflein

Wow, sounds like IRC to me! Big grin Glad you had fun, I agree that I think the main point of these races is to get the running group together and motivated through the winter. It can get so easy to just bag it without a goal to focus on. Train racing though, Tom... goodness gracious. That adds an interesting twist!
                          Hey Tom racing in 12 dgrees with icy conditions is tough enough don't even think about the times. Congrats!

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

nowor

Tom, I just love the reports of the small races you run especially this series. You do a wonderful job of running thru the winter. Don't you have a cruise next? Sue
                              Tom---way to make it through some tough miles (or when what was easy last time seems tough all of a sudden). You are always so supportive of everyone here, it's a pleasure to cheer on your running in turn. Good work in not so perfect race conditions. CNY
                                A good race and report as always, Tom. Glad to see that you folks up there in The Thumb can figure out ways to spend the winter months. Wink

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"