Masters Running

Sunday November 1, 2015 - Yikes! Have you ever had race bib no. 1? (Read 39 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

It almost happened in the Cascade Run Off 15K in 1990 when, thinking it was a 10K, I optimistically estimated a 48:00 finish, . . . and, I got seeded with yellow number 32 with the likes of 2:08 world marathon record holder Steve Jones and other stars from all over the world. It was too late to get a back-of–the-pack number so I went to the medical tent and got both knees wrapped up as an excuse for being so slow with an elite number.
    I should have known better this year when, prior to an out-of-town trip, I signed up for the limited entries allowed in the 12-hour fun run I love in Carkeek Park every Halloween weekend, . . . and ended up with bib no. 1. No problem though, as when it was mentioned several times, I explained that, “it’s an honorific to the slowest runner from the previous year!” However, maybe there’s something to it after all as, even though I was the slowest runner again by far, I reversed the inexorable trend of deteriorating race times in the last five years and reached my target 50K mark by more than thirty minutes faster than any of my previous five runnings since 2009. Yippee

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

Thanks to to the marvelous RD and friend, Elaine Doll Dunn, I had bib 1 at the very first Leading Ladies Marathon in 2005.  Elaine said it was for encouraging her.

So got in my "tweener" of 12 tempo-ish miles and 2 slow ones.  Now home to watch the NYC marathon and track my chums.  Robin is 25465, btw.

Love that extra hour!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

mrrun

tet - nice run & congrats on the speed & aamos nice run

never had a #1, but at least 2 age numbers - 64 & 65

happy exercising all (running &  not running..) & good luck to racers!

i don't like the extra hour of sleep - i like daylight in the afternoon

marj

moebo

No bib #1s for me, but if I ever happen to get one by mistake, I will borrow your knee-wrapping idea, tet. And congratulations on your decreasing 50K time!

Steve, loved that zombie run race report, especially the photos with the whole crew in tow.

Holly, very cute pirate costume! I hope the party was fun.

Deez, you make me want to take a trip to Ireland!

Twocat, thanks for that beef-stew-in-pumpkin recipe. I am definitely going to try it one of these days. How was the party?

9 miles this morning. I braved my three most feared hills for a 9:52 average pace.

Good luck to this morning's racers. Go Robin!

Sayhey! MM#130

Robin started out conservatively and picked it up; she's now predicted to finish just under 4 hours.

Sayhey! MM#130

She's moving; now on pace to finish in 3:48.

Not quite halfway and back on 4 hour pace.

Woman's race was a blowout; 1st USA runner, Laura Twheatt finished 7th.

......past mile 17 and back on a sub 4 pace.

Over the last bridge and 5 miles left.  Should finish right around 4 hours.

Marathon Maniac #957

I reversed the inexorable trend of deteriorating race times in the last five years and reached my target 50K mark by more than thirty minutes faster than any of my previous five runnings since 2009. Yippee

Well done!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

i don't like the extra hour of sleep

I admit I love "falling back" but "springing forward" bothers me for days.  Every time, though, I say the same thing.  DLST is ridiculous to me - there are exactly the same amount of hours of daylight and night time on any given day for that day of the season, regardless of what the clock says.  Fiddling it back and forth does nothing for me.

7 brisk-walking miles for me today.  Jeesh, it feels like a long run or something as tired as I am.  How quickly the fitness goes....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrrun

Holly - your sunset is 5:30 ish and ours is 4:30 ish.  granted we're lighter earlier in the morning, but I still don't like it!

go Robin - up the hills in Central Park!

marj

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

#2 at Bear Blaster 50k. 1 of 2 runners to run since the inception 4 years ago. I was 1 hour  late.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly - your sunset is 5:30 ish and ours is 4:30 ish.  granted we're lighter earlier in the morning, but I still don't like it!

True, but since I don't get home from work until 5:45, it's all the same to me...

Go Robin!

evanflein

Robin should be done by now? I haven't checked up on her. Orange Mat either.

Tet pulls off another great race on minimal training. Well, ok, he trained a lot for him but it would be minimal for the rest of us! Well done, fren!

I'm with you, Marj. I hate that it gets dark so soon in the afternoon. It's kinda nice to have more light in the morning, but what the heck in another week we're back in the darkness anyway. But hey, less than 2 months and we'll start gaining daylight again! Smile

Great to hear from deez! Sounds like a fun trip, even with the marathon struggle. We did a brewery tour at St. James Gate when in Dublin and that was fun. It was in the morning though, so I wasn't really into drinking Guiness at that time...(still had some).

In our household, I'm kind of the hermit. I do like to go out to things now and then, but a lot of time I just want to stay home. DH is good about dragging me out to things I'd otherwise blow off.

I realize it's months away, but anyone up for either the Green Bay Marathon (May 22) and/or Bayshore (May 28)? DH has a conference in Minneapolis in between, so it's got us thinking and planning....

Given the lack plowing around here, I think I might just repeat yesterday's run on the neighborhood roads behind DH's office, maybe x2 to make it a longish run. Or not, we'll see.

True, but since I don't get home from work until 5:45, it's all the same to me...

...Since this will be my First TimeChange as Retired, I think I'll like it A LOT.......

that said,

Rest Day        

.............good running guys,,,,,,,,,Good Racing rtravers

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

tetsujin209 congratulations on breaking your post 2009 50k times! Heck, congratulations for just making it through a 50k, something I have never done!

rtravers congratulations on your NYC marathon finish!

Holly S. I agree this clock switching is silly. It causes havoc the world over! Millions of dollars wasted as airlines, railroads, delivery services and others. Some locals do not change. Those that do change, change on different days. To add insult to injury, one excuse for all this is that it saves energy, which as it turns out it does not.

SteveP when you cannot run in a batman suite have you considered switching into a superman one? You know just to test it out in a race? 

wildchild I can sympathize with your party problem! Although, I admit to having little sympathy for the hermit half of a couple. If the hermit wants to spend the night in the cave, the hermit should live with the fact that it will be an evening alone. The non-hermit should just go out and have a good time. Maybe the hermit will figure it out and come out of the cave.

deez4boyz welcome back! Traditional Irish breakfast and veggie version should really not appear in the same sentence together! The Irish like their (overcooked) meat!

evanvflein I cannot believe you are already running in snow!  I am soooo glad I cannot say that!

moebo I had a training partner who loved hills. We would come to one and she would fly up them! Of course, she would do the same in a race, knock herself out and then have to claw to the finish with her nails. Then again she was one of the top female AG runners too, so perhaps that strategy works better than I would have thought! The party went really well! Everyone seemed to have a good time.

This morning I moved my distance up another mile to 8. The fall colors around here are spectacular right now. What is coming is not so spectacular.  Post party I have pulled down all of the Halloween decorations, other than the village. The Halloween village stays up through Thanksgiving. Then it is swapped out with a Dicken's Christmas village.

Here is a picture from along my route today.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Hear! Hear! 4:36 and looking pretty dark - we still have 7 weeks until the shortest day. Although I shouldn't complain with Erika around.

Been running more than posting - miss you all

Stumpy had a #1 once - I should know, I was the RD

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx