Masters Running

Happy Tues 8/30 Daily (Read 536 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning all In a hurry and busy at work early this Morning. 10 miles - 1:25 - 8:30 ave pace - with 3 @ MP (Ribs plan is 7:55 pace right now) 7:58 7:53 7:54 I am starting to get a better feel of this pace...thanks to my Garmin. I sometimes wonder how people ran at their goal pace without this gadget, because I don't do very well by feel. 32 days till race day....yikes. Have a great harmonious day, Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

I don't pace myself well by feel yet either, Tim. I hope that comes with more experience. 3 easy miles for me today, nice and cool just the way I like it at 52°F. 3.2 miles, 26.46, 8:30/mi, AHR 139 I'm in a bit of a rush, too -- later...

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning! Thanks for the Happy Anniversary wishes! Our evening consisted of our favorite pizza and me watching him get ready for his "dream of a lifetime" hunting trip that he leaves for today. This weekend we are going up to the Traverse City area to visit my favorite winery where I will let him buy me a case of my favorite vino and we'll have a nice dinner. Out for 5 miles this morning with Brinkley. He was relatively calm this morning - maybe he thought I was going to take him for another 8 miler and decided to pace himself. ha! 57 degrees, clear skies after a nice rain had gone through. Everything smelled fresh and clean .... I just love fall. 9:38 / 144 9:50 / 150 9:41 / 159 9:41 / 159 9:47 / 160 {{{{Dtoce}}}} hugs to you. I hope today is better for you. Happy 2s'Day!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Photobucket I've missed a few days here due to travel. Last Monday had lunch at Cheers then went to Indians - Red Sox game, see green monster in background ( I have the blue & gray jacket & Ohio State hat). Too much reading to catch up, but I did pick up that Ribs & CNY may be upset & left the board. I hope this is not true Karin is a fantastic runner & great contributor to this site. Ribs, what can I say, his wisdom, experience & stories would be irreplaceable. Off to Vegas, Grand Canyon & Southern Utah tomorrow for one week. This is a planned vacation, last week I was a tag along on short notice. Good running everyone

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Tuesday - 5.01 easy miles - 44:07 (8:48) Avg HR 121 Max HR 132 - Cloudy, 59 degrees and humid. Early run for me with a busy day of training ahead.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Sarge – nice photo! 9 miles for me today, with mile #3, 5, and 7 at 8:40, 8:41, and 8:42, which is roughly my BQ MP. I can’t call it my current MP because I am in no shape for that pace right now – during the first fast mile I really didn’t think I would be able to squeak out one more, let alone 2 more, so I was pleased with today’s workout. I can barely conceive that a year ago I strung 26 miles together at this pace. Got to run – off to the doctor with DS. Happy Tuesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

Nice to see your speed returning Holly Smile. I sometimes wonder too when I am running at MP...I have to try and run 26 miles at this pace. To some here that think Ribs and Karin may just be too busy to be posting here at RA...this is simply not the case, very sad! Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning to all. An early travel day to screw up my last running day in Sept. Then my traveling partner had an alarm malfunction and we won't be leaving that earaly after all. Too late for the run, though Sad hope to get in at least one run in scenic (? never been there?) Hagerstown MD. Mary--a belated happy anniversary. the day isn't as important as the sentimemnt attached, and it sounds like you guys got it right. Have many more! Sarge--I guess since you're from Ohio, it's not too bad that you're at Fenway with a bucnh of Indians fans. Wink Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

I guess I've been under a rock.. what's up with Ribs and CNY? Nice taper run WRFB!... soon, soon.. Tim.. your plan is going great... keep it up. Taper soon for you! You should try sometime (after your marathon) pacing by feel. I did that when my Garmin died earlier this year and I was surprised that the pace was right on for the effort level. Holly.. nice run! Sarge... looks like a good time last night! Leg felt pretty good last night but stiff this morning so I walked 1 mile with Tory to loosen it up and knock the rust off. Then 5 miles a bit faster and faster as the leg improved. 10:54 to 8:24 mini-progression run. The last 2 miles felt ok.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Tramps

Holly—that comment from your daughter yesterday was a classic! Made me LOL. It would be a huge loss if Karin and Ribs don’t return and, of course, I hope that isn’t the case. A couple days ago somebody asked (sorry, I’ve forgotten who) if I’ve read “Training for the Brain” (or something like that). I forgot to respond (clearly my brain needs more training) but, no, I haven’t read it. 12.1 miles @ 8:12 pace; this is my hilly route so pacing varied but I hit my goal of coming in under my targeted MP (8:15). AHR 143 / 75% HRR. Cooler temps today definitely helped but I’ll feel this one tomorrow.

Be safe. Be kind.

Hill Runner

Hi all, I'm also missing something here, what's with CNY & SR not posting here...? 10.17 miles of hills @ 9:06 pace on a drizzly humid morning but cooler temps are coming. Smile Good runnin' everyone. PS. Tom...great wedding photo!

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                        Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                        Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Bah de ah - surely you remember Bah de ah dancing in September - very appropriate tune to hear on my IPod this morning. A little EWF on the last day of the month. 7.5 miles at a 9:38 pace this morning, finished up by 5 minutes of jumping rope trying to get ham strings and PF muscles loosened up. Sarge - great picture! Don't lose too much money on the next leg of your vacation. Big grin Tim - awesome pace this morning. Do you really think you couldn't run these times without your Garmin? I bet you'd be surprised. Holly - hope the doctor appointment for DS is nothing serious. Nice fast run for you this morning - how's the leg feeling? Nice runs Lou, Mainerunnah and Mary (with her wonder dog Brinkley). Perch - glad the leg didn't act up this morning. Don't you love running in cooler temps? It was 43F here this morning - just the way I like it! Enjoy the last day of September, everyone. Jeanne

Marathon Maniac #3309

Tim - awesome pace this morning. Do you really think you couldn't run these times without your Garmin? I bet you'd be surprised.
                            Lets just say that 1/2 way into my first MP mile, my pace was 7:09...to me, there is a fine line between 8:00 and 7:00 pace that I am slowly trying to figure out. Hence, why the Garmin is a good tool for me right now. Good idea Steve about practicing paces after my Marathon - Nice running for you too as of late...hope you heal up 100% soon! MR, your training is going sooo well speedy guy. Super Awesome run and pace there Tramps, well done! Enjoy your Taper Mary, you've earned it...how long before the taper crazies begin Big grin Tim

Dark Colt has a cross-country time trial at the local park this afternoon. There are over 50 boys and girls on the middle school cross-country team, and they have divided them into eight groups by speed. Dark Colt is the only 7th grader in the top group; the rest are 8th grade boys. No girls in the top group. I guess the difference in speed is evident at this stage. When I was in grade school, I remember there were always one or two fast girls who could keep up with the boys. I'm looking forward to the time trial. Of course the spectators in cross-country usually don't see much. We'll see them start and finish, but what happens in between will be largely a mystery. Even in cross-country there are a few knuckleheads. During last week's time trial on the track, one of the 8th-graders--apparently a self-appointed team leader--was yelling at the other 8th grade boys, "Stay in line! It doesn't matter how you finish, it matters how the team finishes!" Sounds good, of course, but is idiotic, because the better every individual does, the better the team will do. Cross-country is not synchronized swimming. So I will encourage Dark Colt to ignore this guy, just as I would ignore him if I were in Dark Colt's place. Dark Horse
                              I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
                              Teresadfp

One day at a time

Mainerunnah is correct - very humid up here today. I made it 8.7 miles, in order to hit 100.0 for the month, but I did have to walk some. I will be glad when the humidity goes away! Good luck to Dark Colt! I agree about race strategy - the one time one of DS16's teammates said, "Let's end the race in a tie!" the kid sped up at the last minute to beat DS! Kind of annoying. Their team competed in the small school division at the Manchester (NH) Invitational on Saturday. DS finished the 5k race in 16:40 (PR) for 6th place out of 197 runners. Their team won the divison easily, so DS got a cool golden runner trophy and two tech shirts. Three of the boys from their school were in the top 10. The top 5 averaged 17:01. The top 7 all finished under 18:00. This time, DS was mad because he was TOO tired at the end of the race. He's never happy. There was a very steep hill at the end of the course, and he said his lack of height really made it hard to keep up with the taller kids. As fast as their team is, one school from CT had three kids under 16:19 (elite division)! Hard to imagine. What do they put in the water?