Masters Running

It is colon Wednesday: May 6 (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

If you want to see creative names for kids, look no further that Frank Zappa's offspring. Years ago, a friend named Bill Siden wanted to know if he should name his son Aluminum? (He didn't.) We had a lot of fun helping Pam Barr come up with names for her expected kid when she was pregnant. Well, perhaps "helping" wasn't how she would have described it...

Tet, the only difference between Ribs' 180 strides/minute and your 180 steps/minute is stride length. So you're just as quick, but in a short-stride kind of way.

Sad story about David Goldberg. I also wonder if we know the whole story there (not that I have any need to know more than I already know). That wouldn't keep me off treadmills. But then again, I've never owned one, and likely never will.

I'm glad your PT session was so positive, Deeze. I hope the work he has you doing pays off. I'm with your DH; I just don't do well in heat. You and Stumpy were right: Yesterday was a summer day, not a spring day.

Mariposai IS a marathon maniac: Good luck in Saturday's marathon!

At 41F, it was about 25 degrees cooler this morning than yesterday morning, and I was much happier today than yesterday. I decided on the fly to do some fartleks, and I did, but they were pretty disappointing. I just couldn't make my legs go as fast as my head said they should be going. I maxed out at about 175 steps/min., and by the last segment, I could barely maintain that. So 7.2  mildly disappointing RW miles.

Have a greta Wednesday: What day is it?

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

C-R

Morning Jay and all to follow.

I know what you mean about the legs not going as fast as you want. That was me yesterday at lunch. Getting a decent workout when you're not at your best is still good though. Nice 7 for you Jay. Got a quick 3 this morning as I'm off to DC for meetings. Likely will get another run this evening but wanted to "wake up" as it were.

180 steps per minute seems to be the target number eh. Not sure if I can get to that right now. Once upon a time.

Good to hear about your pt Deez and good running to Mariposai on the next marathon.

Here's to a super hump day everyone.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tet, the only difference between Ribs' 180 strides/minute and your 180 steps/minute is stride length. So you're just as quick, but in a short-stride kind of way.

thanks jay.  I appreciate it, especially nice

present today about the "quick" part.

Speaking of today, it’s a great day in running history that I still

remember on the news reels at the local matinee that year.
        Anyone else other than the great one know why without looking it up
        hint: 3:59.4

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Sayhey! MM#130

good morning'!

YAY deez!  So glad for you.  PTs are great, especially when they are athletes themselves.

Mari seems perfectly sane to me.  Have fun!

I fell on a treadmill and couldn't get off--really, there was no place to get hold of, and I got fairly severe burns on both shins.  It was at a health club and a guy came over and picked me off of the thing, thankfully.  I couldn't just roll off as there were bars in the way.  Of course, I am a klutz; when I was a little tomboy, my mom used to despair of the bruises on my shins every evening in the bath.

Speedsters were doing 400s last night, which didn't seem a good place to start, so I went to the bridge last night, got to the top and was pelted with hard rain, so terminated that run.  Happily, it is light enough now that I can go to Lakes Park in the morning!  Sunrise this am was pastel loveliness; watery yellows and pale pinks coming through the blue-gray clouds.  I switched over to the classical station and was treated to the Vivaldi's Goldfinch Concerto and managed to get progressively quicker.  AND I was wearing the Boosts, henrun--I really am learning to appreciate them, thanks again for your considered counsel!

Holly, I can top yours:  I've encountered "Most Precious" and "Xzibit"  .  Speaking of, anyone else hear the Race Card Project" on NPR this am?  (The segment calls for a 6 word descriptor/comment that invites exploration.)  Today's was:  "My name is Jamal.  I'm white."  It was very interesting...what I listened to before Vivaldi.

Last night at Fenway was so good!  (Tampa televises all their games , except they didn't film the tribute to the '75 guys.  Anyone know if that's on youtube or somewhere??)

And I'll make it so, C-R (a super hump day)--> edited to add am doing so despite having a damp derriere since last night's aborted run caused me to drive home from the bridge soaking wet and the seat did not fully dry out by this am.  Good thing I'm trying out standing at my desk!

grins,

A

1954--breaking the 4 minute mile, tet!  I remember cause I'm just barely older than it.  Roger that?

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

mrrun

Last night at Fenway was so good!  (Tampa televises all their games , except they didn't film the tribute to the '75 guys.  Anyone know if that's on youtube or somewhere??)

1954--breaking the 4 minute mile, tet!  I remember cause I'm just barely older than it.  Roger that?

one of these should work - henrun just got it on FB

atmlb.com/1KKFZDF

http://m.mlb.com/bos/video/v102301683/tbbos-red-sox-honor-1975-al-champions/?adbid=10152794744661766&adbpl=fb&adbpr=39399781765&c_id=bos&partnerId=as_bos_20150506_45262526&short_code=2xp6g

the hint gave it to me

ran 6 in H & H - with no idea of stride length, pace, etc - just spring flowers

marj

Henrun

Anyone else other than the great one know why without looking it up
              hint: 3:59.4

Tet, Sir Roger addressed our group (a medical running group) before one of the Boston Marathons.

Did a 2 miler this morning with a couple of fartleks thrown in.

King of PhotoShop

In Neal Bascomb's great book "The Perfect Mile" he describes how the 3 timers met to discuss what times they had on their watches, while the small crowd stood by nervously waiting.  Then the PA announcer came on to state the time.  All anyone heard was "Three...." and they erupted in cheers.  When I read this it occurred to me that the crowd only needed to hear the "three" to know the barrier was broken. Interesting when you think of it.

I did not count my cadence today and don't know if I ever will, as I am pretty slow these days. I think Roch does pretty well at 170.  I'm sure that's more than mine.

So Aamos doesn't like the colon in my blog title huh? Hope she falls off another treadmill.

T'storms last night and today it's overcast and muggy.  Set out to do 8 and thought I'd have a nice brisk pace, but I was drenched in sweat after two miles and just stumbled through the workout.

Today I have to look up airfare for an upcoming trip to the PNW.  I'm doing a 3 piece tour to Seattle, Portland and someplace they call the "Tri Cities" that has Pasco and some other places in it.  Never heard of it.  The client is looking for an estimate of expenses.  Fun.

Spareribs

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good afternoon, all.

I took advantage of a site visit that is less than a half an hour from home to sleep in a little, so I didn't get started until after sunrise (6am).  Another double lake loop 10K.  A little faster than yesterday.  I also enjoyed the cooler temps and wore one of my Seacoast half (highly recommended, BTW) light long sleeves.  I also got chicked three times on the last lap.  And, no, it did not bother me in the least. 

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

stumpy77 it all depends on how you were chicked, now does it not?  

Elliptical day for me today.  But I did find out I am not cut out to be a marathon runner.  There was some list on the web that told you if you are or are not a marathon runner.  On the list was something like, you are a marathon runner if you view running in the rain as a break from all that sunshine.    Clearly this is a clear violation of the "no running in the rain"© rule; pretty much disqualifying me as a marathon runner.  I wonder if the good folks at the Vermont City Marathon would give me a refund in light of this new information?   

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Dave59

I am making a lot of progress at work, so I cut my run short. 2.34 miles,

Riley will be 8 months old tomorrow. Here's a picture from a couple days ago.

https://scontent-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/11214088_10102183272047864_2411856400560222723_n.jpg?oh=4339d3ea6f059cf5ba0434ddb76de23f&oe=55CA7B7F

Marathon Maniac #957

Amy - ouch!

Dave - what a cutie!

Yesterday was 61 degrees and today was 64 degrees but it felt much cooler today, almost chilly.  Different humidity makes a lot of difference.

I swallowed my first gnat of the season.  Along the river trail you can encounter clouds of them rather suddenly and I tend to run with my mouth open.   

6.6 miles for me this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

Holly is a mouth breather!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

TammyinGP

What a cutie! With her one arm stretched out, it looks like she's doing a selfie!!

but maybe 8 month olds are already learning about selfie's these days . . 

Tammy

Mariposai

Be still my heart,  what a cutie!!!.

6 smile mikes for me. It was priceless.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thanks a lot dave.

there's lots of cutie kiddies around here,

especially when two-or-three get together but,

until now, mine was always the cutest.

However, at 6-yo next month, I don't think he'll

be appreciating being called "cute" anymore.

https://scontent-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/11214088_10102183272047864_2411856400560222723_n.jpg?oh=4339d3ea6f059cf5ba0434ddb76de23f&oe=55CA7B7F

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)