Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 2.18.15 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Wow, Dave - sure sounds like a tough time at work for you and the rest of the train crew. I hope you come out of this OK.

Leslie, enjoy your time off - you've earned it! Standing for hours in water? Hmmm, I'm not so sure about that...  By the way, no matter what, I never have and never will think of Ribs while I'm getting dressed!

Ribs, as sad as it is, and as angry as it makes most reasonably intelligent people that there are still people like that shopper in the store where Hudson works, I am grateful for everyone like the store's GM who knows what is right, and who is setting a good example in so many ways.

Holly, that is awful! Despite the fact that I shop on the internet, I continue to be concerned that it is not near as secure as we would like to think it is, and that could come back to bite all of us in a major way.  Meanwhile, I hope you get this resolved quickly, and without any losses. I can't believe that it will take the IRS years to investigate what happened to you tax return: incidents like that should be a priority for them, and should be dealt with in weeks, not years.

Congrats to everyone who got out and ran yesterday!

On my way to my morning meeting yesterday, I slowed down (signal on) to make a left turn, and the car behind me skidded into me. Luckily, no one was hurt. The damage to the car that hit me was much worse than the damage to my car, but it is always a pain in the butt to have to deal with an accident. Later, when I went home for lunch, I found that a pipe had burst and we had lots of water dripping into the basement. I shut off our well pump, which stopped the flow of water, and was lucky enough to get a plumber there in about half an hour. He put a shut-off valve on the pipe to the bathroom where the broken pipe is so we could at least close that off and keep water flowing to the rest of the house. The pipe is behind a wall, so it'll be a job to get it fixed. Fortunately, the damage to the house appears to be minimal.

Last night, we had a meeting of our half marathon committee where we reviewed the applications from various local non-profits to be this year's race beneficiary. This is always our toughest meeting of the year because there are so many good organizations out there. The winner this year is the Seacoast Mental Health Center, which will use the funding to create a sustainable "Mental Health First Aid" outreach program for local communities. I have the pleasure of telling the SMHC that they were chosen, but I also have to tell everyone else that they weren't.

Still no workouts for me: The road surfaces are getting clearer, but there is no shoulder, and in many places, the lanes are narrow. So there is no way to get out of the way if a car is coming. That's a little too risky for me.

Keep smiling and have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Based on the rest of your day, Jay, it's probably a good thing you didn't run

Glad to see people of good principles acting on them.  A lot of people of bad principles to counteract, I'm afraid.

3.2 basic TM miles this morning.    not much else to say about it.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

1 hr of stat biking this morning with 10 x 1 min hard after 15 min.  I'm enjoying the bike workouts, but boy, my butt still hasn't gotten used to it.   Followed that up with about 20 min of core/ST.

And now outta here to drive down to Oakland, and tomorrow I'm off to Hawaii for about 9 days.  Yea!!  I'm meeting up with my buds, Kate and Karen.  I'm so excited!!! 

Enjoy the rest of your week, friends ~~

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Henrun

Jay, sorry to hear of all your miseries. A lot of that is going on around here-car mishaps and roof problems and leaky pipes. What a winter!

Will head out for a few more miles today as the temps moderate. Unlike most area, there are decent sidewalks and feeder roads around here.

Glad you picked the mental health center for your beneficiary this year. I was the founding mental health center director from 1965 to 1969.

Sayhey! MM#130

hiya all!

O Jay. 

I think I am feeling sympathy pains for everyone north.  Either that or some form of survivor's guilt.

I just know if I were there, I would not be coping very well.

I don't even want to report my runs.  Meh.

And I have a teeth cleaning today.

I know: an advice query:  a friend from here who is very peppy, a runner, editor at the newspaper, cat person, history buff, in her 40s, is moving to Yakima.  Her husband's job starts in March; she'll go out in June.  I told her about the Yakima River Marathon in March, any running clubs, other PNW tips for her?    I knew they were interviewing, but just found out for sure today, so sad.

Nice, henrun.  (ON starting the org that Jay selected as beneficiary.  Nice karma or serendipity .)

Oh, I know what I can tell you.  A running friend here in Ft. Myers ran the half at the DONNA last weekend.  I was checking for her results and happily noted she did well, 2nd of 228 in her AG.  Then I realized I know the woman who was 1st in the AG.  In addition to being a real sweetie and great runner, she is the owner/operator of My Soxy Feet .  [Soxy Feet]       They're fun socks, with the motto "Because you don't have to  match to be a pair."  The pairs are coordinated, but opposites, e.g., the heel and toe of one sock may be blue on red so the other sock with have a red heel and toe on blue.  There are lots of themed sox (I have a Boston United pair, e.g.) and Melissa gives a percentage of many designs to charities (she has some that benefit animal shelters, breast cancer.)  Check out her website or her FB pages.  They make great gifts for runners.  Below is "Dream Big"

Dream Big

Well, thanks for reading; made me smile, revisiting the website.

Hang in there, and oh yes, stop jumping from the windows into the snowbanks.  "This isn't Loon Mountain!!"

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

Based on the rest of your day, Jay, it's probably a good thing you didn't run

+1

Listening to Clark Howard's advice, I put a freeze on our credit at all 3 credit bureaus yesterday for both DH and I.

http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/clark-howard/personal-finance-credit/credit-freeze-and-thaw-guide/nFbL/

Now no one should be able to open any accounts or credit cards in our name.  We can always unfreeze our credit if we want to apply for something new, but we hardly ever do.  The purchase of a car every few years is about it.

You have probably heard me whine about the dentist, but the truth is that I have lost 5 molars in the last couple of years due to cracking the roots, on top of other teeth I have lost in past years.  My SD has generously agreed to loan me enough money to get 3 dental implants in my upper mouth to replace the partial denture I am now wearing.  This process will take nearly a year, since the first thing I need is bone grafting under my sinus cavities that must be left to heal for 6 months afterward.  This is scheduled for 3/20/15, and is supposed to be extremely painful.

Here's what REALLY hurts:  The oral surgeon told me I cannot run for 3 or 4 weeks afterward.  Of course, I immediately rejected the "or 4" part of it, but still, 3 weeks off right as we are going into marathon season?  March 20 is 4 weeks before my first schedule marathon in Carmel, Indiana.  SO, I am wondering if one can run a full marathon using only the bike trainer for exercise.  Thoughts, anyone?

The kids are off school again due to more snow last night.  It took me an hour and a half to make my 40-minute drive to work.  

No run for me today, just 25 minutes of core and strength.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

Jay, as odd as this may sound, you were fortunate to get after this quickly so it wasn't worse.  But still I admire your attitude. Anyone else would have been screaming for hours about this misfortune.

As Roch and Mustang would say, "never mind the maneuvers, go right at 'em." And that's what I did this morning.  5.5 at a nice brisk pace, not a trace of discomfort.  Gorgeous day.  Then a good stretch session at the Y.

I have to write an interview protocol to prepare for a discussion with a SME tomorrow, and the client and another consultant need to review it, so I have to make it look presentable, so that's my day.

In other news, I am working every day of the week of March 16, arriving on Sunday and departing for home on the following Saturday.  Who knows, I may bump into someone from this group while I'm there. I'm staying at the WAC.   Spareribs

mrrun

Jay - glad you're ok!

obviously this is dentist day as I had a cleaning today and an appointment for a root canal next week.  i already have several pairs of mismatched socks. however, my new favorites are baleaga (sp?) wool which are incredibly warm and light

Ran for an hour - amazing how warm 25 can feel, my gloves came off.

marj

Mike E

MM #5615

SO, I am wondering if one can run a full marathon using only the bike trainer for exercise.  Thoughts, anyone?

Hmmm...ask tet.

King of PhotoShop

I suppose I should have mentioned where I'll be during that week in March. Seattle, here I come.  Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

I suppose I should have mentioned where I'll be during that week in March. Seattle, here I come.  Spareribs

I was wondering, but I assumed you had already mentioned it and I had missed it.  I hope you get some time to have a little fun in a busy work week (and maybe a meet-up)...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...holly//.........a few decades back

someone had won a Marathon using a NordicTrak for training,

so I figure if you can do the time Standing on an exercise bike,

you'll have some Major Upper Leg Strength,

,,,,,,plus,

won't that make a Great Story for the Rest of Your Life??

worth a shot

============

wellllllllllllllll,

am faxing the store selling papers friday, and expect to be UnEmployed end of May (my choice, not theirs)

AND

all my current employees will be given jobs

.........so now maybe I can get off my Lazy Tuchus and get some work-outs in........

.......................good running guys.......

ps,,,,,,,,,,I'm gonna need Roch to give me some Pointers, I've had a job since I was 15-years old

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Here's an indication that Spring can't come any too soon so I can get back to a rigorous workout regimen. I was packing for our trip next week and was trying to decide which pairs of shorts I should pack. So I got out my stack of shorts and discovered to my dismay that the decision has already been made for me because two or three of the candidates would not fit me in the waist! Aargh!

I've always known about this northern winter effect, but usually by the time I can break out the shorts, I've already trimmed down to my summer weight. This is either a reason to take more southern vacations in the winter or not to take any at all!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Congratulations on your pending retirement, TW!!  I would say you've earned it.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Dave59 best wishes in getting off the train prior to the wreck!  That is a tough situation you are in.

Spareribs I guess I am not surprised that people with attitudes like that woman are still with us.  It is, however, heartening that the store's management and staff rallied around the guy working as a bagger.  In today's news you have one heck of a client list!  Remember your umbrella!

Holly S. my sympathies and best wishes on getting your returns cleared up with minimal hassle.  As to the time off, let your mouth heal!  That is way more important than any race.  Can you elliptical or is that out too?  I have been forced to swap the elliptical for running several days a week and it seems to keep me in pretty good running shape.

coastwalker I hope your insurance claim and repair go relatively quickly and painlessly.  I have had a couple of fender benders and break ins.  I will say my insurance company has made things as easy as possible each time.

stumpy77 my sympathies on your TM run.  But, not too much given my run yesterday!

fatozzig I see you have it tough for the next week plus!  Enjoy your trip!  

AamosY all right, who in your area do you not know?    As to your friend who is moving, sad but happy too.  All moves open up new adventures for people.

tomwhite forget asking rochrunner!  Just find yourself a spoiled teenager!. They can help you figure out how to fill time if you are not working!  

roachrunner I did not realize weight came in seasons!  I hope they have not discovered how to ship up winter weight gain from South America like they do fruit in our winter!  

I started looking at my running log.  My "real" running log on SportTracks not the one on RA on which I generally forget to record my TM runs.  The snow and cold have me somewhat under the mileage I need if I am going to pull off a marathon this spring.  Due to my work schedule yesterday there was no way for me to run outside and get in a medium long run.  By the time I got home, left and returned to the house I would have been running in the dark for at least a half hour.  There is way too much ice on the roads to risk that now.  Plus all the snow means the roads are narrow making it all the more difficult to dodge cars.  I downed a half bottle of liquor and got on the TM to run 14.  Okay, I did not down a half bottle of liquor.  But the thought of 14 on the TM was so depressing I felt like it.    I got it over and done with.  Please, oh please world send warm weather to CT and do it NOW!!!!  

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/