Masters Running

Addendum to Weekly Weigh-In; How often or do you Weigh-In? (Read 21 times)

BlazinCajun

I usually Weigh-In on Tuesdays and Thursdays right after my work out because the scale is next to the showers so in actuality I may be a little heavier during the week; however, it is consistent for my use. I use the Thursday weight as the official weight of the week. I find weighing in once a week helps to keep me on track.

Below is a excerpt from GEHA Insurance resource page:

How often do you weigh yourself? When it comes to losing weight, most people rely on the scale to track their progress. Most experts recommend weighing once a week. This is enough time to see any progress; however, how often you weigh yourself is a personal decision. While the scale may seem like a reliable tool, weighing too often may cause frustration and disappointment.

Your weight may fluctuate up and down, depending on a variety of factors, including:

• Drinking and retaining fluids
    • Eating a big meal prior to weighing
    • Constipation
    • A woman’s menstrual cycle

Consider the following when weighing:

• Choose one day of the week and weigh approximately the same time each week
    • Write down your weight each week.
    • Weigh yourself in the morning after you empty your bladder, before eating or drinking anything.

Andrew
    ------------------
    God, my Lord, is my strength;
    he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
    and enables me to go upon the heights.
    Hb 3:19

#artbydmcbride

I weigh myself once every morning......and sometimes twice if I don't want to believe it the first time!   

Runners run

BTY

Every Wednesday morning I weigh myself on my home scale, and record that weight for the purposes of the weigh-in threads. However I also weigh myself before and after every run to track water loss. If I lose 4 pounds during a long run I try to be sure to drink 2 quarts of water and some Gatorade within an hour or so. I track that water weight loss on my RA log. For perspective my long run is at 10 miles right now so I don't bring water with me.

I try to remember to weigh myself every Wednesday morning after my workout in the a.m., or right after I get up and use the bathroom if no workout.  The Hub weights himself all the time.  My weight fluctuates too much to constantly weight myself throughout the week.  I'd drive myself crazy.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Once or twice a week, but not at regular intervals.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Just a dude.

I weigh myself every morning at basically the same time. (Get up, use the bathroom, step on scale)

I can usually predict pretty darn close as to what it will say as I think about what I did/ate/drank the day before.

My weeks are kinda frustrating in that I consistently lose weight Monday-Saturday, and then Sunday and Monday mornings I gain it all back.

I keep thinking it has something to do with my long run on Saturday. It might also have something to do with my schedule, as I have pretty good eating habits on week days, but not so structured on the weekends.

Ah well, my trip last weekend screwed everything up so I just need to buckle down and get losing... Big grin

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Walk-Jogger

I weigh myself every morning at basically the same time. (Get up, use the bathroom, step on scale)

I can usually predict pretty darn close as to what it will say as I think about what I did/ate/drank the day before.

^This. Even though my weight fluctuates from one day to the next. I almost always know the REASON for the change, and it doesn't make me crazy at all. On the contrary, I love having the data, and even more so knowing the reason for changes from one day to the next. I also count calories that I eat each day and track calories burned running or biking, as this is a vital part of weight management. I find this highly effective for controlling my weight. The one thing that used to make me crazy was the lack of repeatability of my digital scale, and the obvious errors it had when reading my weight several times in a row and showing up to 2 lbs difference in a matter of a minute or two.  I finally broke down and bought a decent balance beam scale and have been very happy with it. Readings are repeatable to a tenth of a lb, it never needs batteries, and I can read the weight at eye-level.

I also weigh myself before and after long bike rides, just for fun. I biked 71 miles yesterday in 75 F temps, and lost 4.9 lbs even though I was drinking regularly.

I'm pretty sure  I read a study once that said that people who weigh them selves daily were more successful at losing weight and keeping it off than people who weight less often.

Retired &  Loving It

...hi guys//.........I just started weighing myself again but only monthly.....

the batteries

had gone dead in the scale

THE GOOD NEWS-

I went from 23% body fat to 19% body fat since I started PoolRunning

TheBadNews-

I haven't done a work-out all week.......hopefully I can correct that this weekend. just not motivated at the moment.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....