Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 7.11.14 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone,

Much to my chagrin, I overslept by about 20 minutes this morning. By the time I got going, it was too late for a workout. Too bad, as the weather (60F, dry) was about perfect. So it goes...

I'm wishing fleet feet, tail winds, and big finish-line grins to all of this weekend's racers:

07/12 Fatozzig - Mt. Hood 50, Mt. Hood, OR

07/12 evanflein - Run of the Valkyries 8k, fundraiser for Opera Fairbanks

07/12 Ileneforward - Browne-Rice Kayak/run relay, Long Beach

07/13 milktruck - Old Port 1/2 Marathon, Portland ME

07/13 Deez4boyz - Old Port 1/2 Marathon, Portland ME

And I hope everyone has a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Good luck to all the weekend racers!

EZ 5 today.

Be safe. Be kind.

Sayhey! MM#130

Ooo, wish I had a race this weekend.  Good luck and have fun, racers!

So glad I asked you, tet, about the Mt. Hiei Monks; the book looks good, but I'm tired of reading about people and events only to learn they're urban (or suburban, etc.) legends.  Yuk.  Thanks so much for your greta answeres (where is Bryll, anyways?  Besides Michigan; I mean figuratively).   Let's make it a date to run together in those sandals.  That would be tremendous!

Deez, I believe the Sonesta.  Are you near the museum?  I'm hoping to be near a hot chestnut cart!

I used to go to the tribal court and also attend meetings  in Horse Thief Falls Mike.  (I'm the youngest in my h.s. class, not cool then, but I like it now.)

You needed the rest, Jay!

Oh-oh, did you hear NYC intends to require those wearing superhero hero costumes in the city to be licensed?  Seems some interlopers pose for photos with tourists, then demand money.  Watch out Tag and Steve!

Since I ran in the am and the pm yesterday, did just 5 easy (first one was a very pleasant 10:16) today at over a nine minute pace.  We had a huge storm yesterday afternoon; we're into the season of daily rains, but some of them are real thunderboomers.  Love those, especially the ones during work afternoons, as they cool things off and don't get in the way of running

New peeve:  Have you noticed pop up ads (Amazon is a culprit) that display a range of odd prices for an item, e.g., $10.81-$28.76?  I bit and checked one out.  The item seems to be for "sale" at the highest price with one form of it (if you can find it) at the low end, i.e., say it's running socks.  The socks will cost the $28.76, but there will be one set, size teeny tiny or Jack Giant, in some awful color combo, that is for sale at a lower price.  Bleh.

But it's Friday, who can be in a bad mood?  Enjoy your long runs!  DH and I have been on a flatbread craze, making open faced sandwiches in the oven on flatbreads.  We've incorporated them into our meal plan on a weekly basis and find different items to use for variety.  This is wonderful, as it's sparked a real interest in him for grilling lots of veggies.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Amy--you certainly covered a wide variety of topics this morning.    Two walkoffs in a row.  The momentum has swung in our favor.  Of course I may revise that opinion if they go get swept by Houston.

3.2 naked miles this morning (the garmin was already packed for the weekend).  Cooler and drier and it would have been interesting to see if it translated to moving any quicker.

Off to Maine again tonight.  Hilly long run coming up on Sunday.  (to steal yet another line)  ohboyohboyohboyohboy.

Starr--around here, theft is the sincerest form of flattery 

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Popping in to mention my 7 mile run today with some virtual company.  I started with the Zombies Run! app on.  I had forgotten how much you had to pick up the pace when the app announced a horde was near by in order to escape!  Got caught.  Avatar took the brunt though, poor thing.    Fortunately, I was rescued by a phone call and had a virtual running partner the rest of the way.  Much better than an imaginary one.  Although, I wonder which SteveP would prefer?  

AamosY odd sizes get cleared out by dropping the price.  What can you say?  I checked out the discounts on some clothing the other day and unless I turn into an XXL guy I am pretty much out of luck.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

King of PhotoShop

Went to the Ranger game last night to watch Colby Lewis throw batting practice to the Angels.  We had great seats though.  Josh Hamilton and Steve Trout are two very large men!  My son stayed home alone, poor guy, but we took his daughter.  He is in a lot of pain this morning, so he's staying here at least one more day.

My wife and I either have colds or are suffering from allergies:  headache, scratchy throat and runny nose, but we went out and ran 3.4 miles at easy pace this morning.

I have no work to do today, or at least not much, so I'll just look after my son and cook.  Spareribs

Fletch

Greetings.

Rest day for me today, but wanted to pop in and wish the best to all the racers this weekend.   And safe travels to those of you hitting the road this weekend.

Happy running!

Marathon Maniac #957

Amy--you certainly covered a wide variety of topics this morning.   

One reason why I love reading Amy's posts....

I have been on a "toasted sprouted grain bread with extra-sharp cheddar cheese sandwich" craze lately.  These are best as grilled cheese sandwiches, but when I am in a hurry I just toast the bread, put sliced cheese between them and then microwave for 10 seconds to melt the cheese.  Gives a wonderful crunch.  I have heard that your body treats sprouted grain as a vegetable, but I don't know.  I just love the toast it makes.

12 miles for me this morning in a delicious 62 degrees.  The river was lovely and smooth, the sunlit trees on the other side reflected perfectly.  I am blessed to have that place to run.

DD comes home from church camp tonight - I sure have missed that girl!

Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

Amazon gets me on running shoes.  The real low price is never in my size.

When I woke up, I had to take inventory of all my joints and muscles.  Everything is still intact but just a little sore (especially my back.)  I took the day off work to do a long run because I'll be traveling tomorrow and working all week at the office in WV, but I am so tired and sore that I decided this week doesn't need a long run and a couple days off never killed anyone.

I have been cleaning up the rest of the mess we made yesterday, I've been to the dry cleaners to make a pick-up, and to the store for some office "gifts".  I like to bring a big sampler pack of K--cups and a couple bags of assorted chocolates when I drive down.  (No room to carry all that when I fly.)  It is a way to suck up to the whole office at one time.

Now after an early lunch, it is time to cut the grass.    And then depending on energy levels, I'll start vacuuming up the dust that is EVERYWHERE.  

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Dave--you are a true Sabres fan to make that connection.  (FB reference for all those confused)

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

I have been cleaning up the rest of the mess we made yesterday, I've been to the dry cleaners to make a pick-up, and to the store for some office "gifts".  I like to bring a big sampler pack of K--cups and a couple bags of assorted chocolates when I drive down.  (No room to carry all that when I fly.)  It is a way to suck up to the whole office at one time.

Now after an early lunch, it is time to cut the grass.    And then depending on energy levels, I'll start vacuuming up the dust that is EVERYWHERE.  

Dave - nice that you are taking a "rest" day. 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

Dave--you are a true Sabres fan to make that connection.  (FB reference for all those confused)

Those early days of the franchise when they were one of the most fun teams to watch:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BsQxTKrIcAAvqM9.jpg

(That's today's date....)

Yes, I am taking a HRD (Holly Rest Day).  The grass is cut and it's only 12:30.  I will actually be able to rest today/

The last three days have been tough physically, but it is like therapy for my tired mind.

1st full day totally to myself this vacation -- church, consignment shop, a little food shopping, 16 mile bike ride, abs/core work, organized the little food pantry we have in our camper and now ready to sit by the pool and read!!

Aamos - we'll be at the Sheraton Downtown Philly - listed as being .5 mile from the start

Happy Friday my friends!!

denise

Mariposai

Last night I went canoeing at Omak Lake.

Today I had 10 smile miles.

Life is good

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

wildchild

Carolyn

Beautiful picture, Posie!

Good luck to the weekend runners, especially Leslie, running 50 miles at Mt Hood!

Twocat, how do you run and talk on the phone at the same time?

Deez, your vacation sounds wonderful!  And very cool that you'll see Amy and Esther at the Philly marathon!   Looks like you'll also see Milktruck this weekend at your race!

I planned to run 10 miles today, and tried to time it for after the clouds cooled things off but before the thunderstorms hit.  Didn't quite work out - I heard thunder, and decided to turn around at about mile 3.  I got drenched on the way back, but on the plus side, it was nice and cool, and I didn't get hit by lightning!  I guess 6 miles will do, especially since I ran 24 yesterday.   I planned my long run for during the week, because my DH gets home tonight from a climbing trip, so I don't want to be gone all day tomorrow on a run.

Dave, how about posting some pictures of your project?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.