Masters Running

Tuesday, 8.25.14 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' kids.

<rant on> I haven't had things near as terrible as Mariposai to deal with, but I still feel like I've been chewed up and spit out. I've been working for a couple of months to find a way to be assured that we can give our Conservation Coordinator a raise, whether or not our town budget passes. I went to the Selectmen two weeks ago to ask for a mid-season raise, which is legal but not at all the preferred way to do things. They said they'd look into that, and also into a more permanent solution. At their meeting last, night, they approved the raise I asked for, but had no suggestions for a permanent solution. I'm glad we got the raise, but frustrated that we've made no progress toward solving this problem on a long-term basis.

The dam saga continues. I'm dealing with our state department of historical resources, and there is enough bureaucratic silliness to last me a lifetime. I have a conference call with them and the Army Corps in about an hour, and if we can't come to some kind of resolution, our town manager is recommending we call our US Senators to ask them to intercede and put a stop to this nonsense. I hope we can avoid that, but I'm not opposed to going that route if we can't. This whole thing is sucking up my time and energy. <rant off>

I went 5.1 RW miles at the usual time this morning. It was 67F, muggy, and with dense, descending fog. It was a warm fog, so it didn't really provide any relief. So I was drippy when I got back, but it was still a good workout.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

good job jay

the world is blessed by people like you.

It's one of the reasons we love running so much, isn’t it?
      After the weekend’s annual triathlon, today was going to be a Taper-for-Tom day

pickin' blackberries or something but will do a Mile-for-Mariposai tonight.

ps posie - I know a certain 12-hour run on Halloweed that doesn't need any training if you do it for fitness and fun with others of the same ilk. Maybe Steve can come out too.

Well, I am sure glad I have not committed myself to a fall marathon. I have ran only 7 miles in the last two weeks. Stress out from the fires and now we have a "hazardous weather" all around us. It is not safe to even go outside and breath let alone to run. Run inside? not a chance...the houses  around us smells like ashes. It is a good thing that running is not a temptation because there is so much to be done to help those who lost everything connect with resources. Today my victory is that I crafted a proposal and was successful in getting some funding allocated for the fire victims from the state. No small task, but mission accomplished.

Tomorrow's mission is to keep my asthma calm as I push forward with more relief efforts. Glad to be alive and well and breathing and my house intact!

Cheers to all, ohhh and please run a mile for me!

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

Sure glad we didn't end up taking EK out to dinner. From what I understand, the consultants took her to one of Dallas' finest restaurants.  On Sunday nights Jerry Jones and the Cowboys execs dine there, as well as lots of celebrities, a terrific place.  We would have taken her to some beans and rice joint.  Great choice on her part.

4.3 miles at easy pace at the park this morning.  The Saint is having a bit of hamstring/hip pain and struggling a bit.  Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Jay - that sounds very frustrating.

Hi Tet!

Today is my DS'  first day of college.  The regular classes start Monday, but he signed up for a 4-day writing workshop that starts today, and goes 8:30-11:30.  Today he plans to pick up his books (we pre-ordered) and wander around campus trying to figure out where his classes will be next week.  He told me yesterday that the AP classes he took in high school (and the tests at the end) gave him 18 free credit hours, more than a semester of classes.  I am so proud of that boy!

5.5 miles in 57 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

Good still just barely mornin' all,

Well, it's still August here in SWFL, so 8 at 80 degrees or somesuch.  Pretty sunrise and maybe not so humid?  Easy, at any rate, as tonight is tough Tuesday at Speedsters.   One of those will be for Omak!

Call the Senators, Jay!  You've got Elizabeth and Ed; give 'em a ring, that's why they're there.

{{ }} for the Saint.  DH is training fairly rigorously for his half next month.

Hang in, Nancy.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Henrun

Yesterday afternoon we drove up to NH for a chance to see my GD and my DS who had a gig as a warm up for a movie in the park event. My DS's avocation is an alternate rock musician and "folkie" soloist who writes his own songs. We pickened afterwards with he and my DIL and left before the movie started to get home at a reasonable time.  It was a wonderful evening.

BTW, I ran 6.6 miles and did an hour of yoga yesterday and ran another 2.2 miles this morning.

Our summer of family continues as we get a 3 day visit from Marj's 7 year old DGD tomorrow.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Sorry Amy, wrong state.

2.6 miles along the Pacific Crest Trail. Pretty good trick for being in Pittsburgh  the TM at the hotel had a choice of routes to show on its screen. I will admit to trying to swerve a few times to try to miss a tree or rocks.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Jay, sorry to hear of the frustrations.  You are awesome for doing all you do.

mariposai - good on you getting the grant money.  Running can wait.

Holly, wow, that's cool.  I am still 3 years away from DS starting uni - it will be shocking.

6.35 very hilly miles.  I was surprised to see my o/a pace was not so dismal on such a hilly route.  I must be getting stronger, and the greatest part is, I have no aches or pains.  I noticed I hit 100.0 miles for the month of August already, and a quick check of the running log said that has been my highest mileage in over 3 years.....wow, didn't realize I had been running so little for so long, but I suppose that surprise divorce about 3 years ago and then knee issues this year really derailed me.  Feeling like I am getting back into the groove, and it feels great!

Anyone heard from TomW?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

SteveP, I looked at that race site (North Country Trail Run) and am now thinking about entering it next year. It looks like a tough trail half-M, but if I approach it right I think I could do it. Something different, at least! Maybe Holly will show up for the full or ultra!

Jay, just my minor encounters with govt bureaucracy when trying to get things done on our rail-trail are enough to make me avoid them when possible. Just too frustrating!

Rode 23.5 with the usual Tuesday seniors' group out to the cider mill and back (with a coffee & donut stop of course!).

Keep up the good work, everyone. And how is TW doing anyway?

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Sayhey! MM#130

Stumps, Of course you're spot on right, how eejit-otic of me    (howcome MA doesn't annex those 8 miles along the coast anyway?)

Y'know, I bet E and E would take it on anyway; it's just the kind of peeps they are.  Jay, but at least you have Jeanne; she should be good.  And your governor and I were in the same class in law school, woo hoo, there's a biggie!   (I bet she knows a bunch of bureaucrats up there, however, who might be helpful with all the sticky red tape and etc.)

Sorry Amy, wrong state.

2.6 miles along the Pacific Crest Trail. Pretty good trick for being in Pittsburgh  the TM at the hotel had a choice of routes to show on its screen. I will admit to trying to swerve a few times to try to miss a tree or rocks.

Jay, good luck in dealing with the bureaucrats.  Holly, you have every right to be proud of your son.  Best wishes to him as he begins his college years.

This morning, it was in the low to mid 50s and there was a light wind.  I got in 6 miles at an 11:28 pace.  I think my Garmin messed up.  It buzzed for the first mile quite a bit before it usually does on the same route.  The time for that "mile" was significantly less than I would expect for a mile.  What the watch registered for the rest of the run seemed normal.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

Hey folks, anyone interested in coming to Pinckney, Michigan for the weekend of September 11-13 for the Woodstock Festival?  My friend Carissa is running the Hallucination 100-mile event, but they also have 100K, 50M, Marathon, HM, 10K and 5K distances.  Since I am going up to be Carissa’s crew, I probably won’t run any of the races (since I may need to do the last 16 or 32 miles with Carissa), but I’ll be camping out there and cheering everyone on.  It's guaranteed to be a "far out, friendly love-in, man."

Interestingly, the Feelin’ Groovy 5K and 10K come with a “natural run option, to be explained after you enter, yikes!”  Could that mean the option to run au naturale?   

Looks like a great event weekend.

http://www.runwoodstock.com/index.php

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

Hey everyone. Haven't been posting much in RA due to busy work and life. All good but....

Hope to lurk and post a little more often.

Hang in there Jay. Government can be a grind.

Oh - DS1 ran his first HS XC meet Saturday. He ran in the Freshman race (100+ kids) and finished 4th. Avg mile pace 5:47 for the 4k.

Look for the varsity team both boys and girls this season as they are ranked 9th and 2nd nationally.  Carmel HS

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Sayhey! MM#130

Leslie posted on FB today that her dad passed away this morning.

Hey folks, anyone interested in coming to Pinckney, Michigan for the weekend of September 11-13 for the Woodstock Festival?  

Holly, did you know that there is a meetup in the works in AA with Econo for that weekend, and that we're thinking of coming there to run the Sunday morning 5-mile fun run with her? Besides myself, dg9, Mustang Sally, and DaveinAA are involved (they're actually doing the planning and "event coordination").

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"