Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 6.27.14 (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I'm very sorry to learn that Tribee's injury is so serious. I wish her a full, surgery-less recovery.

LaT, I'm so sorry about John's diagnosis. I wish him and you well. John couldn't have a better person with him to see this through.

To say we hit a lot of traffic on the way through Boston and toward Cape Cod yesterday evening would be an understatement. As we slowed down, our GPS-predicted travel time went from about 1:30 to well over 2 hours. Fortunately, eventually, the traffic began to clear and we could get back up to cruising speed.

I was up at the usual time this morning, and went for a 6-mi. RW workout along the coast roads of Falmouth, MA. I saw some gorgeous New England seaside homes (weathered cedar clapboard siding, broad front porches, understated design), nice beaches, lots of rabbits, a fox, and an indescribably gorgeous sunrise. How could my day start any better? Now DW and I have to get breakfast and then find our ferry to Martha's Vineyard.

Have a greta Friday, and good luck to Irishguy, who appears to be the only one racing this weekend (although I might jump into a local 5K on Sunday).

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Thanks to everyone posting yesterday. I passed along the encouraging words to Tribee.

Kirsten—so sorry to hear about John’s condition.  The best to both of you.  I’m glad you popped in.

Twocat—I sometimes toss a scoop of whey into a morning fruit smoothie if I’m feeling the need for more protein.

Jay— You ain’t seen traffic until you drive northern Virginia regularly.  Crazy.

Have fun on the Vineyard.  One of my grad school mentors lives in Chilmark on the western end.  I should get back in touch and get myself invited.

I really like the automatic weather report that Eric’s built in to the training log.  I somehow feel validated when it says “humid” every day.

EZ 5.3

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

I ran 4 miles this morning.  10 minute warm-up, then 10x1 minute hard with a minute easy in-between, and then a cool-down.  Along with the hills on Tuesday I decided to do another workout each week with some intensity.  No ultimate plan on what it will be, but probably more of the 1 minute intervals, some 2 minute intervals and some tempo runs.  At least that's the idea until I injure myself running too hard.

Sorry to read about Tribee's back issues.  She was really tearing it up out there from some of the reports I've seen.  I hope for a good resolution.

And so sorry about your DH, La Tortuga.  He'll be glad to have you with him through it.

Should I mention it was in the 50's again this morning?  We get some humid days but then it pops right back to being ideal conditions.

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya and good mornin"

(Good mornin, good mornin'....we talked the whole night through, good mornin' good mornin' to you!....and a Gene Kelly/Debbie Reynolds [song is from "Singin' in the Rain"] Good Morning to all of you on this fabulous Friday.)

Leslie, you and I have a mustard jones we share.  Love it, love perusing the fancy mustard aisle in foodie stores and at the grocer's.  Good plan to drop the UCAN or whatever it is that isn't agreeing with you.  Keep us posted on how you feel about the Mt. Hood race.  It's a big one, no?

Most mustard (excluding sweet and mayo-mixed ones) has few calories, so not an answer to Ribs' problem.  I eat a fair amount of cottage cheese (lowfat) and yoghurt for protein (and I love them).  If I had to gain weight (o the agony, I imagine) and looking to add protein, I would eat more nuts and humuus.    Also Ribs, this is off base, sorta, but if you're up for a quick visit, I am going back for a reunion in South Dakota in August and a couple of flights have a bit of a layover in Dallas.  As I recall, you're not far from the airport.  Just in case you might be up for a shared coffee/snack at the airport, let me know.  I know, a hassle in and out of the airport just for that, just miss you and Saint.

Thanks for explaining strides, guys.  So, another word for Fartleks

Kirsten, my heart goes out to you and John.  DH didn't have cancer, but when he gave us his heart scare after it stopped and he had to have the IED implanted, I had the same sort of feelings.   We'll be thinking of you both.  And for my $0.02 worth, when I was dealing with cancer surgery and aftercare, I kept trying to get DH to go do things he enjoyed and not hover over me (didn't work very well, but at times I could get some chums to sort of kidnap him).  We're all different, I know that.  Just saying take care of yourself for all the obvious reasons.  Not that you don't know that, but reading it again might help.

All you New Englanders....we have a neighboring city here, Cape Coral, but about half the time when I'm talking and using the entire name (usually, just refer to it as "the Cape"), it comes out "Cape Cod."   Such a Yankee...

...except ran with Speedsters last night, even tho it was above 90.  We started out at 6:30 from the Country Club, went down McGregor (shaded) to the river, stopped for water at the 3 mile mark at the Marina, where some clouds helped us out with the sun, then headed back.  QUite a few of us, braving the elements (as I see it, this is our winter).  And with the company and the break, I did manage sub 9s .  Just a 3 mile jog this am to get some air in the 70s as it is forecast to rain hugely this afternoon.  Long run tomorrow.

Happy last Friday in June!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Fletch

Rest day for me today, but wanted to pop in and say...

Holly - congrats on the car!

Ribs - +1 on Jersey Mikes! My fav is the Chipotle Cheesesteak.  Not as healthy as the Turkey Sub you had, but if you're tryin' to gain weight...

Tramps - wishing speedy recovery for Tribee

Fatozzig - Cooking collards without pork...my dear Nana is turning over in her grave!

Kirsten - Thoughts and prayers with you and John.  Cancer sucks!

Jay - what a beautiful start to the day!

Dave - nice workout.

Amy - yes, striders are pretty much a structured version of fartleks (just not as much fun to say ).

Good luck to those racing this weekend!  Happy running to all!

Mariposai

I am so thankful for this group. yesterday's thread is such a good example on how deeply we all care for each other. Like a family, here we can safely share the good news, the bad news, the victories and defeats, the dreams and aspirations. We share about running, but most importantly we share about life.

Thank you guys!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Sayhey! MM#130

Just HAD to log in again to underscore what Mariposai wrote.  I will always remember how perfectly wonderful y'all were when DH gave us that scare at Steamboat.  And running/race walking is something that needs to be shared with other runners/race walkers.  I mean, where else can we complain about getting up early or finding time after work or weather or long runs and get sympathy and commiseration instead of the query: "well, why don't you quit?"

Anyway, yea, what she said. 

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

King of PhotoShop

Fletch, I went right to their website and that sub I had yesterday had 41 grams of protein.  And twocat, thanks.  A guy I ran with this morning suggested adding peanut butter to my steel cut oats and that's what I had for breakfast this morning.

Aamos, name the day you lay over at DFW and wife and I will come and see you, happily.

Kirsten's husband John is a fine man, and we wish him well.

5.6 miles this morning with a buddy of mine from my club. And Jay, I am racing a 5K tomorrow with my wife, but since it's a low key event and I don't run so fast just now, I didn't think twice about doing a good run this morning.

Off to play bridge this afternoon.  Today is also my last day of FB for the summer.  Spareribs

LaT - My prayers to you and your hubby as you wade your way through this.  Come back whenever you need to unloaded. We'll be here.

Ribs - Add some flour, butter, sugar, salt, baking soda, and a touch of milk to those oats and peanut butter, and you'll have a mighty fine cookie!

Amy - I ran Mt. Hood two years ago and finished in 12:15 with a friend pacing me the whole way.  This year no pacer, and my goal is to finish under 12 and then do well at Firetrails 50 in October.  We'll see.  It's a fairly friendly course, except quite a few rocks and roots to deal with on the first half, then the second half has a couple of ugly climbs.  Two years ago, I had issues with the altitude during the first half and stumbled and stubbed my toes countless times before a very fuzzy brain cleared up.  I'm hoping that since Karen and I are going up to camp for a few days before, I won't those issues this year as much.

I was supposed to get up this a.m. for 8 miles, but my body refused to leave the bed.  So I came in to work early and will leave early so I can run my 8 after work.  It's damp and muggy here again, so I'm sure I'll be sopping wet by the end.

Talked to my buddy, Karen, last night. Mt. Hood is on July 12.  Her coach had her run a 30-mile training run on Sunday.   First I was like "What??" And I thought it was a group run, but no, a solo run.  She was able to stash some supplies at a couple of points, but said it was difficult having enough available for the entire run and suffered a few times before she could get to her supplies.  It was a point to point, and I forgot to ask her how in the heck she got back to her car.  Sounds excessive to me for a 50-miler that's only 3 weeks out, especially since she probably ran the day before, as well.  And now that I say that, come the 12th, she'll probably kick my butt!

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I am so thankful for this group. yesterday's thread is such a good example on how deeply we all care for each other. Like a family, here we can safely share the good news, the bad news, the victories and defeats, the dreams and aspirations. We share about running, but most importantly we share about life.

Thank you guys!

Thank you all for the kind and supportive messages - luckily the moments of good are far outweighing the moments of bad. LW insisted that I take him on my run this morning and he enjoyed the romp.

Rib - I top my oatmeal with toasted almonds, but I kind of prefer Leslie's approach

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Sticking my head in to say, "hi," mostly because I'm finally running enough that I wouldn't post a steady diet of, "nope, didn't run today either."

By my old marathoning standards, it's still pitiful, but sandwiched into a fairly intense triathlon schedule, my three runs/week are just what I need and I'm finally starting to shake off the rust and move a little better.  I had a lovely sproinky waterfront run last night and paid for it with a sluggish lake swim this morning.

Ribs.  Eat.  I'm worried about you.  When I'm pushing protein into my diet, I up it with whey powder in smoothies and salmon.  Cold salmon on my bagel, warm salmon in my risotto. Salmon everywhere.  Smile

Aamos:  I'd nitpick the strides - fartlek difference.  I think of fartlek as an interval workout done with joy and creativity instead of a stopwatch. ("Hey, guys, let's run to the top of the hill and see what's there.  Oh, cool.  Let's ghost down it and then run to the trees...") By contrast, I use strides in warmup or cooldown just to get legs flowing and moving a little and improve turnover.  Strides in my book are <100m and are accelerations to a fast, flowing open gait, followed by a complete recovery.  I might do four or five before a race, or to shake out after a kind of sluggy run.  They're fun barefoot on a soft grassy infield after a tough track workout.

Many of us have known each other in some way or another for almost a decade, and it's showing, isn't it?  Care and hugs to everyone supporting themselves and loved ones through tough times.  It's really hard to say, "...and it may be permanent," isn't it?

And Ribs.

Eat.

C-R

Hey all.

Here's hoping Tribee recovers quickly.

Thoughts and prayer for you and your DH Kirsten. Running got me through DW's fight. I hope it can help you as well.

Nothing beats a good steak Ribs. Or pork chop or chicken breast or elk burger or venison. Oh good grief now I'm hungry.

6.2 on some tired legs. Humidity took its toll from last night.

DS runs in the USA National T&F Championships tomorrow morning. 3000m. Excited for him.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

LaT - hoping for the absolute best for you and your DH.  And what Aamos said, make sure you take care of yourself too.

This is my favourite thing right now -

A toasted "everything" bagel with cream cheese, a few thin rings of red onion, a sprinkle of capers, a slice of tomato and smoked salmon on top!!!  You can see why I still need to lose 15 pounds...

3 miles this morning, sore throat, a little tired and dizzy, but otherwise fine and dandy.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Good afternoon good people. Haven't had the time or the heart for posting much lately.

Healing prayers and wishes to LaTortuga's DH. I hope everything is going ok.

Tramps - if Tribee wants to talk to someone about her back issues, let me know. I had back surgery 2 years ago after herniating the L5-S1 disc. While I'll never be able to run another marathon (even half marathons are iffy), I still get around 20-25 miles per week and can bike and swim without problems. Would love to answer any questions she might have.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Kirsten--late to the thread, but same goes for me.  Only met John once and for a short visit, but he was very nice and friendly (not unlike his wife)

LaT - hoping for the absolute best for you and your DH.  And what Aamos said, make sure you take care of yourself too.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.