Masters Running

Thursday's Stuff: 5.14.15 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Twocat, you have to get out of the gym for your workouts so you can see (and photograph) the gorgeous scenery around you.   Enjoy the taper.

Nice lake laps with negative splits, Stumpy. Cute photo (and name) of Miss Harper.

'I always figured I'd be retired by age 62 but there's this thing called "health insurance" that I need to pay for...." And then, Jlynne, there is this thing called Medicare (and the supplements) that you need to pay for. The fun never stop... Meanwhile, nice run in good weather yesterday.

How'd you like the baked bacon yesterday, Dave? Sounds like you had a good day off from everything (except lawn mowing) planned.

Erika - what Aamos said about taking a day off!

"And nice 10K this am"  "So seven and half easy this am." OK - so which was it, Aamos? Knowing you, you probably did both!

Nice random fartleks, Holly. And I'm glad that you had a happy day for no apparent reason. Those can be the best!

Yer right, Ribs: Understanding job responsibilities from the manager trumps hearing different stories from "helpful" people all over the place. I hope you have a short ride on that charley horse.

Welcome back to regular running, despite your very busy schedule, Leslie. I'm glad the hammies aren't hurting.

I'm glad (but not as glad as you were) that you were dressed for a cool-weather run, Roch.

Tet, you just keep doing what you're doing, and you (and we) will be fine...

"Son, we give you three weeks of vacation per year but if we can afford to let you take two weeks in a row we really don't need you." C-R, that is a very dangerous statement: There's nothing like telling someone that they get good vacation time, but they shouldn't use it in a way that is good and healthy for them. As with Leslie's request - any option should be open for discussion. Why don't we, as Roch suggested, have more mandatory vacation as the Europeans do?

You're right, Marj: Retirement just brings on different stresses. However, hopefully one is more in control of their stress when they retire. Nice post-playing-in-the-dirt run.

Nice way to get in a run, Tselbes.

Pardon me for saying so, Erika, but you are right and it is totally stoopid. Take the time off, and do it guilt-free! As much as we all don't want to admit it, the world (and our employers) won't fall apart if we take a day, or a week, or two weeks off.

Great "fix" Steve! 

5.4 RW, paper-bag miles this morning. I felt sproinkless, and nothing I tried could bring it back for long. So I played around, tried different things, and didn't take myself, or my workout, too seriously.

Have a greta Thursday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mariposai

Good morning friends.  Another non running day for ne since I am letting the body to heal totally from the trail ultra before I go back out there. Maybe this weekend.

Fun day ahead at work I must get going.

Enjoy your taper, twocat.

Erika, sorry about your workload. You are one tough  goddess. My admiration.

Ribs, when will the charming young man leave for college?

Cheers,

Posie

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Also realized Mari and I have sons who share the same birthday - my oldest is 29 today --- how on earth is that possible?!?!?!

My one and only is 29, but I'm 68! Obviously I got a (much) later start than you did. 

Steve...I've been misquoted!!

Jay, what I pay for Medicare plus the supplemental and prescription coverages is so much less than what my DW has to pay for a regular Blue Cross policy with a very high deductible that it's almost not fair. Like my deductible is about $147 and hers is $5000. but she pays about 3x the premiums.

Wow! Talk about IRC! I wasn't planning on running today since I ran yesterday and have a massage appointment later this morning, but the conditions are so perfect with clear sunny skies, temps in the mid-50s, and no wind to speak of (especially compared to yesterday's cold bluster). Ran 4 miles totally pain free at a decent clip (no walk breaks required). I think that running two days in a row was actually beneficial since nothing stiffened up over the shorter time period between runs; it actually felt very good right from the first step.

Now to grab a bite and off to my masseuse.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

Fly by from work just to say hello!

No run for me today, but 30 minutes or so of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

I'll take the blame for the weather Jlynne...Just remember, I was there the year the marathon was called 2hrs after the start.

I've been in a bleh kinda haze lately. Just a funk...over whelmed with my work load both personal, (home), work and civic roles. I'm the V.P of communications for our bike club and posted a call for help just to have someone make up and distribute flyers and still after three request I haven't had anyone step forward.

Nothing a good run can't cure though!

For coastwalker and Holly S. from my 10 mile run this morning the Tour de Overpass!

This is the first view I get of the Connecticut Crawl during my run between miles 2 and 3.

Connecticut Crawl Part I

Then later on between miles 4 and 5 there is this spectacular view of the Sherwood Island Connector

View of the Sherwood Island Connector

Then finally between miles 9 and 10 there is the overpass view I posted yesterday.  Just so you can see the traffic jam was not a fluke here is today's version!  This is a totally different view of the Connecticut Crawl than the prior one.  Yes, a whole different overpass!

Connecticut Crawl Part II

Now admit it, those pictures just inspire you to go out running!  Er, no?  

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

King of PhotoShop

Thank you Jay.  That charley horse is gone and what a relief. Just to be on the safe side I jogged/walked two miles and I'm certain I'm good to go tomorrow.

In his book, Lee Iacocca made an interesting comment about vacations. He said he had no respect for those senior managers who rarely took vacation time off, telling themselves and everyone else that they were too busy and too needed to take off too much time. Iacocca said he thought just the opposite, that the capable manager was able to plan for his vacations, train his people and delegate key tasks so that he could recharge.  A different way of looking at it.

Mariposai, thank you, but I have no idea! I assume he starts late August at U. of TX but I don't know off the top of my head.  This is graduation weekend and that's all we're focused on.

Spareribs

Dave59

This is Thursday and supposed to be Starbucks/trail run with the group, but I have just been so tired and it was in the 30s again, so I skipped it.  Took my car in for some maintenance and after waiting a couple hours, they came out and said the mechanic dropped and broke something which they will fix but they don't have the part, so they gave me a loaner and I came home.

I felt like I should run, but I just cannot get into it.  I forced myself to head down the road, but I turned around and came back. I went a total of 0.60 miles.

Finally got a contractor to come by last night and look at what we need fixed around the house. He has us on his schedule for next week.  So we contacted the realtor and let her know the status.  Looks like the place will get listed on May 26th.  The distraction caused by the house stuff is what is hurting my motivation on anything else.  The only time I have energy is if I am doing stuff with the house: carrying junk to the road, cleaning up things, putting doors back up, etc.  I'm fine with all that, but ask me to run or to write a computer program and I am too tired to move. 

TammyinGP

good morning all!

got in a trail run when I went home at 3:00 yesterday. the plan was to run in town but silly me forgot to pack my running shoes. . so went home and took the dogs for 3 loops on our trails for a total of 3.5 miles. Bailey is my 2 lap dog. she was pretty tired when we started our 3rd and was usually running behind me. Bella is more like my 2 hr dog. she could keep going and going.

Today is Districts for David. He's going into the 3000m in 7th and hoping for another PR (last weeks PR was 9.54), but if he can't do that, he at least wants to be top 8 so he can earn his freshman letter in T&F. That'll give him 3 letters as a freshman so he'd be pretty excited about that.

Tammy

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

Sad to hear about crazy work schedules.  There are some ways Europeans have developed that I can really get behind.  Right now I'm thinking fast SAFE trains and slower work pace with regular vacations.

.....one thing I wish all employers would do is just give you a set amount of days each year and not divide them into sick and vacation.  Just time off.  People like you, Erika, would be more inclined to use it.  FOlks wanting "mental health days" could at least give their SVers advance notice.

O Jay, the reference to the 10K was to Kevin's 10K.  I just did the 7.5 and nothing more.  Prudence!

Glad the charley horse is gone, Ribs. and that things are going so well, roch.

hey to everyone, have to move on....had to run some errands at lunch.....

Just a little run this am as I hope to head out with my Speedster friends after work. .

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Good luck to David!

Ribs - I like Lee Iaccoca's way of thinking.  I am a firm believer in the absolutely necessity to recharge.  When my dad would make excuses as to why he couldn't take a vacation (this is at his last job as a security person), I would always say, "So what do you think they'd do if you ended up in the hospital or had some other medical or personal issue that kept you from being able to work for a week?  They'd find someone to cover and the world would continue to turn."  I don't think he appreciated my sarcasm.  I'm all for vacations and I take 'em.  And if I feel like crap, I call in sick.  I certainly don't want people around me at work who are sick.  Unfortunately (or fortunately, I guess?), I rarely ever get sick.  I think the last time I had to call in sick was when I had a boil on my derriere and I couldn't sit.  Makes it hard to do a desk job.

Dave - Sometimes ya just gotta call it a day, even if the day is just beginning.  Moving is incredibly stressful and tiring, both mentally and physically.  You deserve to cut yourself some slack.

Jay - Hoping your next workout has a bit of sproink and spunk.

5 miles this a.m..  Threw in some hill work - about 2 miles of up, down, and around.  Considering I haven't done hardly any running for over 6 weeks, I was pleasantly surprised at how I did.  The hammies are still ibu worthy, but eh - it ain't the end of the world.

And considering all the things that are happening to the people around me, I am feeling so very blessed to only have a hammy issue that's bothering me.  Three folks are battling cancer, and the sister of one of my best buds died last Friday from a brain aneurism.  She was 50 yo with a husband and two kids - 13 and 16.  So hug your friends and family, thank God for your and their health, and keep plugging away.  Each day, each moment is precious, indeed.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Our company has recently gone to the Personal Time Off (PTO) method of vacation and sick time.  We used to get 10 days sick time plus whatever vacation time you had accrued.  Then they would reimburse you 20% of unused sick time and the rest was gone.  Now they've given  5 days that are just added to vacation time and you get PTO.  I told our GM that it was going to cost them money as I rarely took any sick time and now that I wasn't going to get any cash out of the deal, I would be taking all my PTO.  Of course, I then ended up having to negotiate carrying over 40+ hours that I couldn't use up by the end of the year   I think the last 2 weeks I took in a row was almost 20 years ago.  in fact I seem to be having a tough time remembering when I took a full week off that didn't involve a holiday.  It's been known to drive my DW absolutely crazy.  Probably me too, if I stopped to think too much about it.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

TammyinGP

David had a good performance. Came in 4th with 10.03. Only top 2 advance to State and he knew he wouldn't be top 2 going up against juniors/seniors. Our senior took 1st though, so that was great.

Tammy

evanflein

In his book, Lee Iacocca made an interesting comment about vacations. He said he had no respect for those senior managers who rarely took vacation time off, telling themselves and everyone else that they were too busy and too needed to take off too much time. Iacocca said he thought just the opposite, that the capable manager was able to plan for his vacations, train his people and delegate key tasks so that he could recharge.  A different way of looking at it.

Oh I'd be all for that! And I certainly don't think the world will stop if I don't go in. But I'd get so far behind I'd pay for it for days. You may not remember (and no reason that you should), but when my boss left in late 2011, I was promoted to his job... and my old job was unfilled but the work didn't go away. After several months, we came up with a plan to divide some of the transactional parts of my old job to some benefit accountants, but many of the functions I did couldn't really be reassigned, so I still do them (most of them). I do have an employee reporting to me now, but he's one of the benefit accountants who had a full time load before he took on more of the health plan management role. So... I still have to do a lot of the old job, too. I wish I could train "my people" to do more, but I don't have people to train. And it's going to get worse before it gets better. Anyway, enough of me whining. I just don't want people to think I'm one of those who feel indispensable and the world will stop, etc. I just don't have many options for offloading anything.

Good work for David, that's a tough field. He's doing so well, I hope he isn't disappointed. 

In Anchorage for a work trip (and sneaking this in while working on other things!), but I did manage to free up my schedule enough to go home on the 6:05 flight instead of 7:40, so I'll be back by 7. Left my running gear in the truck so will stop up at the gym to use the locker room to change and get in a few miles before going home. It's 55° and overcast here and low 70's and sunny at home!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Reminds me of the snowstorm when “only essential workers”

needed to show up, . . . and everyone did.

Count me on the erika-side of the work equation, though.
                                Hey tupurr, have you ever run alongside the traffic

“like they were standing still.”

I once beat  a downtown train for a couple of blocks.

Congratulations on another letter for David,

to say nothing of everything else,

including having a supergoddess mom. 
                                ps amy - I hope the Red Sox win all the rest of their games this year, . . . .

but only after this Sunday’s game with the Mariners who we’re hoping

will help us overcome the ignominy of our fizzled football team

but I doubt it. 

I also doubt if wearing different colored uniforms

for each of the 4-game stand will help their lack of luck.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)