Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 3.20.14 (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

TomW, I'm so sorry about the 'severe OA' diagnosis. Good luck with the Ortho on the 28th.

True enough, Aamos - with this group, one always has to wonder if the number of races done is annual or lifetime. Sounds like DH is getting in some very good walking mileage. I can't help you with the fuel gear for longer races - not that I've ever come close to an ultra, but I also never carry anything with me, except for a few Sports Beans or something like that.

Great photo, Holly, and nice run in the wind yesterday.

You're gonna be busy running marathons this year, IBUB!

Glad you got out there yesterday morning, Mariposai.

5.06, Ribs??? I'm glad that you and RP got some good work in, and that you knew when it was time to call it a day.

I'm glad you got relatively good news from the surgical nurse, dg. Phew is right!

Good luck with the back, Enke-with-an-E. Was #15 distracting in a good way?

Leslie, have you ever tried working at a stand-up desk? I do, and it (along with regular core work) helps my back a lot. Congrats on the clean $15.

Sorry you're still getting snow, Erika-with-an-A. Someday, Spring will come. Oh - that's today!!

Nice 8er in the basement, TSelbes.

Have a safe trip back, Henrun.

Starr, I'm really not that much of a sock-knocker. Glad you like the new Garmin!

I'm glad that someone else (coach) also told you how well you are running these days, Deeze.

Nice 10.3 last night, Mike. Hope you slept well after that.

Mike/Tet, you use your legs a lot on a rowing machine, so I'm not sure that would be the best for dg. But, yes, they sure are fun!

Good luck with your back too, Steve.

I woke up in the middle of the night with some pain in my right hip, and it was kind enough to stay with me till morning. I have no idea where it came from, but I decided to give it a rest this morning, so I didn't head out for a workout. I'll see how it feels today, maybe do some foam rolling on it tonight, and hope to be back out tomorrow morning.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...thanks jay///..............never read a doctor's report to a surgeon,,

,,,,,,,,cysts, narrowing of the head of the femur,,,,,,,even threw in inflammation of right knee (!!??)

skipped the poolrun

and

just clomped around yesterday,

>>>>>>> depressing

.....ironically ,

my labs were listed as ''Excellent''

================

THE GOOD NEWS-

it'll take a LOT more that this to make me quit

but I knda STOPPED yesterday

....today

...double weight sessions

with PT stretches

........................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

wildchild

Carolyn

Happy Thursday!  I've been AWOL since the 50k last Saturday - I went to the Grand Canyon, since It was only a 3 hr drive from Monument Valley.  I went to the ranger station to see about camping permits in the canyon -- normally you have to book months in advance, but I was lucky and someone had just cancelled, so I hiked down for a 3 day solo backpacking trip!    My legs weren't too sore after the race -- and my quads felt fine, which was good, because the canyon is a mile deep and that would HURT on sore quads! I'm sure you all know what I mean! Picture walking down stairs for 7 miles with a pack on your back after a tough marathon.   Anyway, I'll post a 50k RR and a Grand Canyon adventure report when I get home.  I'm currently in Bluff, Utah, driving the rest of the way home today.

Amy, I can't believe you've never done an ultra!  I'll have to look at the race website and see if I can offer any advice. I personally use a hydration vest, but if the aid stations are close, you don't really  need one.  I like it because it gives me a place to carry my camera, and to stash gloves and jacket and stuff when the weather changes.  Maybe you don't need gloves and jacket in Florida, though...

I don't confuse Erika and Enke, but they're both taller than average, and really fun people, so I can kind of see the confusion...

I'll have to catch up with the rest of the news when I get home.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

King of PhotoShop

Morning all!   4 miles or so easy at the park.  Gorgeous day here.

When I was in college and for a few years afterwards, I was  a very accomplished bridge player. My partner in college went on to become a professional, and I helped edit his first book on bridge many years ago. I love the game and still belong to the American Contract Bridge League, but I haven't played in years.

Today I'm going to play in a local tournament in Dallas for the first time in a long time.  Of course I will be rusty and as I am older now I won't be as sharp as I was when I was young, but I'm looking forward to it.  Something different and fun to do.  Spareribs

Maniac 505

Ribs, Bridge has never been my game but my parents were both Life Masters.  My 85 YO mother still plays some party bridge at her retirement home club house.  She played with a new group yesterday,  small wagers on the game.  She said she felt a little bad about taking their money  Who was the book author?  I will see if she knows of him.

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Day!

Jay, DH is still digesting the video.  I am hoping to get him to post directly.  Thanks again!

Ribs, I have always wanted to learn to play bridge.  I bet the cobwebs will clear once you get into it and you will conquer!

Hey, wait til Robin gets here: she has cool news about something the BAA is giving runners at Boston.  Thanks for sharing that on FB, Robin!    Lots of tears will be flowing at packet pick-up when people realise what they are receiving.

Not only is Erika still getting winter, so is the northeast.  And other areas.   I have sympathy; enough already.  Snow needs to go!

Hi Enke!  Hi Erika!

tw, hang in there with us.  You will get through this bad patch and we'll try and help.

Debbie, still and will be thinking of you, hoping healing is as speedy as possible, and also at warp speed.  Maybe Tag could talk to some superhero doc about this????  B

deez, what's you estimated time at Boston?  What wave are you in?

So, er, might I say "Happy Spring!" in all true meanings and with a spirit of hope, without angering those of you still looking for a crocus or two?

Thanks to all you ultra/trail people who responded to me.  Just shows what I know (I did run some rugged trails [very slowly and ineptly] with my most patient trail runner friends in South Dakots--Bighorns, Centennial, and 2 Salida, CO marathons [both 5+ hours ]) to be true:

trail runners are a different breed in that they seem to have a little more connectedness to each other and to nature.   Yup, y'all are just special.

I know it looks like a Mickey Mouse ultra, but I figure that's the way to go, since it's the first time I'm going   on beyond 30 miles!

Once (if) I get the distance mastered, then p'haps I'll sally forth on something more challenging.

Will hold off on the vest.  Carolyn, is yours the Jurek Ultimate Direction one that I hear folks raving about?  (I also hear not so good things about the bottles.)

Here's the thing: I may need to get a vest by mid-May.  I'm going to be one of Chris Roman's (he's a fairly successful Ultra runner, finished 18th at Badwater recently, right behind Pam Reed, along with some other nifty runs) pacers at the Keys 100 May 17-18.  He wants to finish in something like 17 hours, and I am leaning toward getting a vest for that.  Since I'm not going to get something that spendy and never use it again , I will be forced to do more ultras.  So do advise me on shopping for a vest, please!

Sayhey, I exercised prudence today.  Feeling a little barking from my legs, not so much the marathon talking, but post Sunday runs the culprits.  After speed work Tuesday evening and a peppy running partner Wednesday morning, I eschewed my scheduled bridge run this morning (which means I missed seeing the weekly Farmers' Market vendors setting up as I jog home after the bridge repeats......

And I was going to stick some extra money in my pouch and buy some sunflowers, with today being spring and all  Wink.

Did 7 easy miles--you know, that pace that is supposed to be fat burning and not carb burning??

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

King of PhotoShop

Dive, ask your folks if they have ever heard of Marty Bergen.  Spareribs

dg.

==============

THE GOOD NEWS-

it'll take a LOT more that this to make me quit

but I knda STOPPED yesterday

....today

...double weight sessions

with PT stretches

........................good running guys

((((tw))))

dg.

Thanks for all the kind words & good wishes!!

ErikainAL is right, except it was getting on a chair lift.   Not usually considered a high risk activity ; )   but the lift is mightier than the knee...  the guy to my left, coming up behind me, somehow caught my skis on his skis, my right one was  forced out to the right (I still don't really know how it happened), the ski was caught & lift kept going.

I've never confused Erika with Enke, but I'll probably start now that I've said that.

I'm happy that door #15 is distracting  : )

I think you're right Jay... probably no rowing machine right now, but I do have access to one at my gym.   I've thought about it, might be a good transition thing.     My back's not allowed to flex or extend, at least not much.   Does anybody know if it's possible to use one of those with a relatively straight back?

Starr..   (thanks)   I'm glad you like your Garmin!   Which one did you get?   What race are you training for?       In a million years I'd love to run with you too..   the Twin Cities marathon was my favorite.   (out of a very short list).  (and not in one year ; ) )

Amy I love your logic.  You do have to do lots of ultras now..          and, thanks.      and, good idea!     I don't have much for bragging rights, but I may be one of the few people here who has actually met Taggy.    We rode in a truck together, & he let me share my water with him.   : ).

Taggy, tell your dad I hope he feels better soon.    but watch him when he's around doctors...

Tselbs nice double hitter!    How are you these days?    Have you kept up  your racing streak?   

I'm sorry to be so behind.

Ribs have fun & good luck.     I can't imagine that you've lost much.    Be kind to your competition.

Amy - Make sure you are looking at women's vests.  And whether you get a vest that holds a bladder or one that holds bottle is going to be personal preference.  I use a bladder vest because I carry my own fluid concoction.  The only thing I drink at the aid stations is soda or water.  The upside of a bladder is you can carry more fluids and don't have to refill as often.  The downside of a bladder is you can forget that fluid has weight and suddenly you're carrying an extra X pounds.

If you have friends with vests, see if you can borrow/try them out.  You want to be cautious of how short your torso is compared to where the vest rides.  I have a much older version of this Nathan vest.  If you have an REI near you, they usually carry a variety of ultra running gear you can look at.

I've tried waist packs and hand helds and I just don't like them.  Using a bladder, I have to cautious of how much I'm drinking since "out of sight, out of mind," but other than that, I love my running vest.

Tom - I'm sorry to hear about the hips.  Just proves how dang tough you are!

Jay - My office won't spring for a stand-up desk, but one of the attorneys has a chair you kneel on.  The next time he's out of the office, I may steal it for a try.

{{{Taggy and Steve and dg}}}

8 miles this a.m. with orders to "just run."  I got up late, so was pushing it to get to work on time, but oh well.  First time I've run 3 days in a row in a very long time.  Will hit 46 miles by Sunday, also something I haven't done a very long time (maybe 2 years?), and my legs are feeling a tad tired.

I've been looking for various recipes to help shake things up in the new diet program and came across this.  Oh my!!! *salivating*

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

King of PhotoShop

Well, I shouldn't have worried. Not only was I first, but by a lot.  I sat east west and the other 1st place pair was the north south winners:

Partnership Pct Rank MP
                        Larry Cain - Patty Kleckner 67.04 1st A 0.40
                        Gregory La Mothe - Timothy Bullard 64.85 1st A 0.40
                        Barbara Ching - Susan Kroney 57.90 2nd A 0.28
                        Elizabeth Winslow - Kristin Markham 49.85 2nd A 0.28

Had a good time though.  Everyone who plays bridge is seriously old.  Felt like a spring chicken in that place. Spareribs

...dg and I

may

have to Invent

Aerobic CRAWLING..........

of course,

with my luck somebody'd turn it into a Race.................meh

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

...dg and I

may

have to Invent

Aerobic CRAWLING..........

of course,

with my luck somebody'd turn it into a Race.................meh

5 miles for me this morning, followed by lower body weights.

I read, but don't have time to respond.  Love you folks!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

What a beautiful day her in MN! No time for shout-outs, getting ready for orchestra practice.

50* -- feels like 45*

2.45 miles around Mudhole Bay (someone renamed it Sunset Bay but it will always be Mudhole to me) with Bandit.  I forgot the HRM strap, but that's OK. I am glad that I brought a headband though. The wind on the Grade between the lake and the Bay was a bit chilly.

Time to get going, see you later.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

SteveP

Fly By....It looks like there was another Bigfoot sighting near us. A few years ago, Tag mysteriously lost his first cape in the woods...hhhhmmmm

SteveP