Masters Running

Sunday Must Be A Fun Day--4-17-16 (Read 30 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  Hold on... I'll be right back.  Okay--I just want to go back and make sure somebody else wasn't starting this as I was typing.  Do they call it "typing" anymore?

So--I suppose everybody is out racing, running, getting ready for the big day tomorrow, or just having fun, some other way.  I really don't have anything to say--I just wanted to get this started so others might be more inclined to come in and say something.

I did, finally, turn on the outside faucets, and am watering the grass...yippee.  I have some errands to run, then I'll go for my run.

That's it, for now.  See ya!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I'm waiting...........

killing time at at the expo waiting for the Par-Tay to commence across the street.

Great meetup with Amy and DH Dan, Henry and Marj, and Jay. (His DW abandoned him for the weekend  Wink

decent run run for me with 27:05. Apparently lots of fast 60s as that was good for 7th. Guess where Amy finished?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

evanflein

I'll bet Amy won her division, right? Any bets? Good job, Stumpy, and have fun with the gang at the Lir! I sure wish I could be there, maybe another year. It would sure be nice if a business trip just happened to have me in the Boston area for the third weekend in April sometime....

Nice job on the half, spinach! You are a speedy one, that's for sure. What was wrong with your foot? I always seem to have some foot trouble but just usually run through it.

Yes Enkie, it's gotta be 10 to be a long run!  I admit to sometimes being "done" running at 8 or 9, but add on another bit to make it a double digit run. Your knee is behaving?

Ran a really nice 7 miler yesterday, made it to the river and ran along that path for awhile. It's mostly open with some big ice chunks floating by. The river is somewhat open most of the winter in that area because the power plant dumps hot water in it, and it's frozen higher up the river. The ducks love that thermal pollution though and some stick around all winter. They were all over the place yesterday, and lots of people out walking their dogs or riding bikes or just walking on the path enjoying the sunshine. I should do that run more often.

Then came home to do some yard raking. It's always such an awful mess when the snow finally goes, and my rake is sadly deficient. So, today I'll do a cutback long run (maybe 14 or so), then head into town to look for a new lawn rake and new broom for the deck.

Go Boston Runners, Go!!

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

I went out for a LR today but my legs are still tired from last Sunday's race, so I gave it up at 10.1 miles.

Then I spent some time moving rocks and digging in the garden.  I am trying to expand it, and digging up the grass that is currently there is a bit more difficult than I thought it would be.  After an hour I showered and went golfing with DH on this staggeringly lovely day.  Now, I am pooped.  Time to log onto my work computer and get ahead on the week.

How quickly the weekend goes.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...howdy.......

40-min PoolRun, nb, cf, ris

and

a TcT  of Bezoin and BabyPowder Treatment

(call it a ''B&B"")

my thanks to fatozzig

............and yard watering ,

already 80s here

..................Good Racing to the Boston-ites......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I'm pooped too Holly just reading about your day.  Moving rocks and digging, running and golfing, then working!

Stumpy, that sounds like a really fun meet-up.  Have fun at the par tay!  Good time on your race too.

It's an amazing day here - in the 70s!  I ran up at Cougar Mtn.  My legs felt so bloody uncoordinated at first - guess I am not used to the roots and rocks and they were tired leggies from yesterday.  Anyway, 5 miles, to make 20 this week, but it's a cutback week.  My knee is doing well. get just ever so slightly tight now after runs.  I am more worried about a little bit of achilles tendinitis on the other foot.  It's always one thing or another!  ETA - I am SURE the biking has helped strengthen that problem knee, and keeps it aligned, and sped up this recovery greatly.  I now have big biking thighs though!

mariposai - I got the small purple FR25.  I am liking it a lot.  It only spazzed out on me once - said I ran a -56748.54 minute mile on one run (yes, negative) !!!  I like that it automatically synchs with Garmin connect, then when I open my running log here, the data is waiting to be downloaded from GC.  There are other features - synching with the phone and all that, but I don't run with my phone.  I like how light it is on my wrist, and that it makes a good watch with a long battery life before recharge. There was one thing that bugged me - the menus are very simple, and I can do a walk/run interval thing, setting time for each segment, but to do intervals, I cannot set say 1/2 mile run (distance), 2 min walk, which is what I am used to from my old Garmins.  They pared down the options it seems and kept it simple.  The numbers are BIG on the screen, I definitely need that!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

spinach

Nice job on the half, spinach! You are a speedy one, that's for sure. What was wrong with your foot? I always seem to have some foot trouble but just usually run through it.

I hurt my foot in the Paavo Nurmi Marathon last August.  Right after the half way point I stepped in a pot hole and twisted my left knee (my worst knee).  It hurt a bit but I am used to my knees hurting and so I kept running, but within a half mile I was unable to put any weight on my right foot. I had no idea what happened but I was actually fairly close to the finish area and my car so I managed to hobble there and get home.  My podiatrist said it was plantar fasciitis, but my symptoms didn't seem to agree with the symptoms i read about on the internet.  But he still insisted it was PF, I think he is crazy and so I treated it on my own, mostly giving it a rest.

Right now it feels okay so I hope whatever is passed is gone.  If it comes back I will go to a different podiatrist, since I don't trust the other guy.

I ran five miles with my running club today.  I talked with the race director of the Wobegon Marathon and he said I will probably be a traffic controller at road crossing about mile 8 or 9 in the race.  I did that once before, it was pretty fun.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Beautiful day out here in the PNW as enks says, just right for a kind of a duathlon day with cycling over to the Seahawks 12K and back. Although running the daily weekday ‘mute for the last two weeks made the 12K pretty comfortable and was about a minute/mile faster than my ‘muting pace, it sure didn’t make me any faster and it took 1:33:08 (12:30m/m) to sun only seven-and-a-half miles for the first sub-13 in quite a while.
                  ps Tom - after running annual summer marathons back in the seventies without that much, if any, training just to see if we were in good enough shape from winter skiing to do it (we were), we “discovered” benoin as a way to minimize blisters for virgin running feet when a dog musher friend in those days mentioned slopping it on the dogs’ paws to toughen then up for the icy sections of the Iditarod 1,000 miler they do. However, now that I’m a barefoot runner, nothing doing it a lot can help.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

...yep tet//......Benzoin is Good Stuff, just don't get  COMPOUND Tincture of Benzoin (it never drys)

my uncle

sold it in the 1940's

my dad

in the 1950s

and

so far

I have sold it for-

dog's kennel sores,

runners feet,

treating BullRopes for a rodeo passing thru,

fever blisters,

and

ingrown toenails

it is Amazing Stuff..................although I had forgotten about it til fatozzig reminded me

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

coastwalker

Hi folks.

I just got back to NH from Boston a little while ago. The day started with a terrific meet-up (as Stumpy said) with Aamos and her DH (Dan), Marj, Henrun, and Stumpy. The race in Watertown was fun, with a fast course and great weather. Marj and Henrun were chief cheerleaders; Amy, of course, won her AG (she's amazing!); Stumpy ran a great race, Dan racewalked to a fast finish and a good overall time, and I was mostly happy with my 32:14 (10:22 pace) finish. I was 12/19 in the same AG as Stumpy. My first mile was my fastest, but I just couldn't sustain the pace for the full race. After I finished, I went back to coach (annoy) Dan to his great finish.

After the race Marj and Henry were gracious enough to let me take a shower and hang out at their very comfortable home with them until it was time to head to the Par-Tay. We drove a little way, and then took the T the rest of the way, with Marj planning it so I had an easy trip back to my car and out of town. The Par-Tay was great (Robin is such a fantastic hostess), and it was great to see CNY Runner, Deeze, Orange Mat and her DH, Craig (The Pro From Dover), and of course, the crew from the morning's race again. I'm very excited for those running Boston tomorrow, and hope that I get to send them all off to a good start from my volunteer location in one of the corrals.

OK. DW is back and exhausted, so I'm going to go make dinner so we can both get to bed a little early. She needs the rest, and I have to get out of here very early tomorrow to be in Hopkinton, MA by about 6:30-7:00.

Have a greta time with what is left of Sunday, and a greta Monday as well!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

It sounds like a great day in Boston with marj and henrun cheering on those in todays race: Jay, Aamos & DH, and stumpy.  Then DrRobin's ParTay with a bunch of RA folks.

Nice long runs for enke, mari, and Holly.

This morning, I ran a mile in 10:46 and then walked 3 miles at a 13:31 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

tetsujin209 when I first read you post I thought it said, "we 'discovered' heroin as a way to minimize blisters . . ."  Seemed like an odd preventative!

spinach it is worth checking with another doctor. We have one orthopedist in my town that is often wrong but never in doubt. Most of the athletes I know have been to him when they started competing and after a couple of misdiagnoses decided to never go back. Me included.

enkephalin whatever you read do not get a copy of Fitz's Advanced Marathoning. Other than what I will not mention in that book your 10 miles qualifies as a long run. Well, at least in my book. 

Kind of an odd day here. In the morning DW went with a friend on a run. Then it was off to brunch to celebrate a friend's birthday. Then home. I fed birds, DW went to town and I did some work. Brunch lasted so long that by now it was time to make dinner. A really good recipe it turned out to be too! Fast and easy.  Here is the link http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/braised-chicken-with-asparagus-peas-and-melted-leeks. One really nice aspect of this recipe is that it makes its own vegetable side dish. If you try to make it, be really careful with the leeks! They burn fast if the heat is too high. I lost two leeks that way.   First was just me just messing up the heat level. The second was me not paying attention. Third time was the charm! Good thing I had a LOT of extra leeks lying around!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Holly--logging into my work computer is not something I'd do if I was pooped.  You just never stop, do you?

I went 10 miles after doing all my other running around.

Okay--that's about it.  See ya!  Oh--good luck to all the Boston runners!

Sunday fun day is a great way to describe this day - all weekend in fact!!

Yesterday I drove to the Cape with another friend to celebrate our good friend's upcoming wedding! It was a great ladies night with so many wonderful women!! This morning I was able to slip out early while most were still sleeping to get to mass before the rest of the day began! We went to a cute breakfast place in Woods Hole which is also where the Falmouth road race in August begins! Headed back to Boston and squeezed in a 4.2 mile run from the hospital garage to and around Jamaica Pond, showered at work then walked about 2 miles to the RA meetup!! Fun party and I am so excited for our RA runners tomorrow!

i just told my husband I am sooooo excited for my volunteer assignment tomorrow!! I love being near the start line and said as a runner I can't think of anything more exciting!! He doesn't get it - looked at me like I'm crazy and said "of course you can't" - what am I going to do with this man!!

Erika - I think our daily average for babies is about 10 - we do about 8,000 births/year which is actually lower than when I first started there because a huge group left the Brigham. When I talk about a 2 or sometimes 3 baby day, I am talking about my own patients for that day. We can have the occasional quiet day and have very few births, but then we make up for it with days with close to 20!!  I love it all!!

wish I could comment more, but I am helping with our club runners and volunteers bright and early and my alarm will be waking me at 3:40am!

Goodnight my friends - happy Boston running, volunteering and tracking!!

denise

evanflein

8,000 births a year... wow, that's a lot of babies! Have fun tomorrow, Deez. You too, Jay. The volunteering you guys do at the start is so cool, that's a side of the race most people never see or think about. And you can get out of there and go see some of the race, too!

14.7 miles today, a little bit of a struggle in the end but not a bad run at all. DH left for New York last night and I ran to the airport to get the car, and drove home. He's there for meetings starting Monday but was going to try to get together with HallyBarb for dinner or drinks tonight. I finished my run just as the wind started picking up with strong gusts that blew dust and dry leaves all over. Precursor to a short-lived but heavy rain storm, our first of the season. Glad I was in the car. The road was wet on the way home, but it's mostly all dry again out there now. Well, still muddy in spots, but it was like that before. 51.3 miles for the week.