Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 6.21.14 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

So much to reply to from yesterday, but so little time...

Happy birthday, Hudson! Congrats to relaxed Dave, and Enke's graduating (and funny and polite) son.

About 8 RW miles in 48F temps at a little after 4. I saw another gorgeous sunrise (you're right about them, Fletch), and the sand sculptures half completed in a local competition - awesome! Now DW and I are off to our favorite dive for breakfast, then I have conservation site walks, and a trip to the farmer's market before I come back to shovel yet more mulch.

Have a greta first day of Summer!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...Aloha jay//..........which is Hawaaiian for ''how you DOIN'??''

========

...Pickles

went to her doc yesterday, her WhiteCount is DOWN to what it was 2-years ago

(this a VERY Good Thing)

.....taking some friends out to carouse later this evening......

...33mpr With Belt (back hurts>>ask me if I care)

deo

.........good running guys..............Celebrate the GoodStuff

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mike E

MM #5615

...Pickles

went to her doc yesterday, her WhiteCount is DOWN to what it was 2-years ago

(this a VERY Good Thing)

Nice!

Hi Folks!!

I had a really nice time today at my HM.  I had no expectations.  It was sunny and, being late June, nice temperatures from about 57F at the start to 66F at the finish?  A little warmer than I would like, but the race - an out and back, was on a gentle uphill rail trail grade until the turn around, and all very shady except for the first and last 2 miles.  It was an inaugural race, and I think I'd like to do it again.  Oh, the rail trail was the same one that the light at the end of the tunnel marathon route goes on down the Snoqualmie valley, except this race starts in Carnation, WA and goes up the valley.

I felt strong almost the whole time, which surprised me.  I was not racing it.  I tried picking it up after the turnaround, and did, and felt great even at 10 miles, but then right at 11.5, yeah, it hit me suddenly and I walked a bit.  Decided to conserve a little again so that I would be able to finish the last two miles in the direct sun without having to walk again.  My only complaint is that there were only 3 water stops.  At 2.85, 6.5 and the one at 2.85 again on the way back.  For late June, it would have been nicer if they had placed that 6.5 one at 5.5 instead (so you'd hit it again two miles later on the way back).

My time was exactly 13 minutes slower than my PR from 2008?  (looks like I have some work to do!!)   But, here is the great news...2:40 faster than Ave. of the Giants (and a warmer day).  I was half expecting a new PW, but, nope!!  Oh, and about a 2 minute negative split!!

Extra bonus - Some fast runner guy started talking to me on the walk from the parking lot to the start.......I think he is single.  Very handsome and I realized I have seen him somewhere before.  He is in my running club!  Time to cyberstalk....

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

King of PhotoShop

Of all yesterday's posts, Enke's was the one that moved me the most. We all want our kids to succeed, and that teacher did a wonderful thing to reinforce his good efforts and manners.  Good for your son Enke.  You raised him right.

Also happy to see a more relaxed Dave too. Hope that continues.

Great news for TW also.

Well it's b'day time here, so I borrowed Hudson's car saying I needed his extra room to load some garden stuff for a friend.  Then I sneaked it up to Best Buy and had a new stereo system put in.  My two older sons will be here for dinner so I've been shopping and cooking stuff too.

Spareribs

Cyberstalk update.....he is 3 years younger, and very married (at least in not too old photos).  I'm terrible!!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Not at all Enke....just human! Loved what your teacher did for your son and what a great story. I am sure your heart is full.

HBD to Hudson---what a milestone and excellent present. Very cool Ribs.

Way to Go Pickles! This is excellent news and carouse in abundance TW. So happy for you two.

Very proud of my teammates today as the masters women's team won the team race at Mt. Washington and the open women's team placed second in their division. Impressive running up the rock pile! Lots of podium placers and age group winners too and all in the Western Mass Distance Project singlets. One year I'll join them for the race to the sky, but this month has been jammed with client work on 18 of the 22 possible billable days in June. All good though and I love my job. The two weeks in Nova Scotia in July will be quite welcome! Ran 7 easy miles this morning---spectacular weather for this longest day of the year. The kiddo and I will head to Boston early tomorrow for the BAA 10k.

Looking forward!

ribs, happy birthday to Hudson.  Great gift.  Holly, happy anniversary.  Dave, glad to hear you've got a handle on being more relaxed.  enke, neat note you son got.  Congrats to him and you for being a good mother.  tomw, fantastic news about Pickles white blood count.  enke, nice half.

Nice long runs for Holly and Dave.

This morning, I did a 5K race.  It was at a state park on the Saginaw Bay.  The goal was to raise money for the beach.  I saw a lot of my running friends and had a good time. It was a nice day, low 60s and almost calm.  The course wandered through the woods and wetlands on paved roads, paved trails, dirt trails, and a couple of wooden bridges.   I did the 5K at a 9:42 pace and was just a few seconds over half an hour.  It was good enough for 1/2 in my AG (70+) and 47/100 OA.  I can hardly believe that my time put me in the top half of the field but, a race for a popular cause brings out a lot of casual runners who support said cause.  I did a mile warmup and 1.9 miles after the race to give me 6 miles for the day.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mariposai

Nice racing Enkephalin. A faster time than Red Woods is very nice! The route sounds lovely.

What a nice present for Hudson. He is sure a nice young man, nice looking too.

Karin, way to rock the field for you team!

No running today, but I have spent my hours since noon picking rainier cherries from a friend's yard and pitting the cherries for drying. I have one batch nearly done to go to the dehydrator, many more batches to come. I picked 101 pounds today. . I was going to make pie filling also, but I decided that the dried cherries are more valuable to me thru the years as I used them in salads and other dishes.

Go racers go!!!! Any word from Carolyn on her 50 miler?

Good job tselbs!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Yay for Pickles!!

Enke and TomS - nice racing!

Ribs - sweet gift!

Nancy - Rainier cherries are my favorite!

5.3 recovery paced miles for me this morning in 70-something.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

Great to hear that Pickles blood numbers are better.

Enke - It is amazing what an encouraging teacher can do for a kid. I credit much of my younger daughter's success in college to a teacher like that in high school.

I had a pretty good day. Cindy and I had breakfast at Cracker Barrel just a few miles from tselbes 5k. We did some shopping for bathroom fixtures for bathroom remodel #3. I ran 4 miles, cut the grass, went to a friends' 50th anniversary party (and ate too much.) And a few minutes ago I finished up reading Pilgrims Progress part 2 (which I didn't even know existed until a couple weeks ago.) I enjoyed it.

Now I'm sitting on the front porch on a beautiful evening watching the people walk, ride bikes, and drive by.

SteveP

<b> there is all kinds of warm fuzzies going on today<b>

<b>

<b>

<b> Ribs, you deserve an awesome dad award. I did exactly the same thing for one of our kids. The one that had the hardest time motivating to leave the nest. But instead of a stereo in the back, I put in a dead skunk I found on the road. I accidentally ran the car out of gas too. Other than that it was exactly the same thing. Well the sentiment was the same. <b>

<b>

<b>

<b>Tom White, the news about Pickles is the best news all day.<b>

<b>

<b>

<b>Enke, your son has a trait that I would like to develop and myself. I really hope you meet someone truly special. A person who makes you feel like the center of their universe.

SteveP

SteveP

Stupid phone!

SteveP

I really want to catch up on the last few days, but I'm just going to say HI and I'm going to bed!! 

Henry and Marj I hope to see you in the morning!!  I am going to try and meet a friend by the carousel before the race - she collects medals and turns them into inspirational messages for people who might otherwise go unrecognized .... wefinishtogether.com!!

Nite folks!!

denise

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Yay for Pickles!!

Enke and TomS - nice racing!

Ribs - sweet gift!

Nancy - Rainier cherries are my favorite!

What Holly said.  Well, except that I've never been particularly fond of cherries as a fruit.  Flavor yes, just don't like eating them.

This was the weekend of our town's Relay For Life and I played support for DW's team.  Last year's had a fair amount of complaints, so instead of just fuming about it, she joined the committee and IMHO, they did a great job.  The relay as a whole raised somewhere over $90K by the time it closed this morning, with her team doing over $6000 of that.  She worked really hard making things to sell and fundraising.  I did a lot of carrying and setting up.  I should have worn my Garmin to see how much I walked.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.