Masters Running

The Flatlander 6/12 Hour Run - Read 1st (Read 161 times)

TomD

This one is basically a flat 1.4 course, that you run as many times as you can in the time allowed. I signed up for the 12 Hour Run to run 35 miles. I went in thinking 7:00 should do it. Maybe 6:30 if everything went just right for me. It is in Fenton, Missouri, near St. Louis. It started at 7:30am, so it was not long before it got hot. My strategy was to run 4 or 5 miles a good steady pace to get myself limber and feeling good. Then I would divide the 1.4 mile course into four areas and have short walk breaks at each area. I did this at a 24-hour run once and finished 6th with 107 miles. It is around 70-75 at the start without much of any wind. I start out slow and build up to a 8:15 pace. I keep this until about mile 5. Then I start my walking. After 7 miles I am at 1:00:15, pretty much where I hoped for. I know after a couple of hours it will be very hot. My running goes pretty steady for 11 laps, then it starts to get very hot out. I still have over 20 miles to go to my goal. I decide to hold back some and run some 15 minutes laps for a while. Some runners are starting to call out to me how many times I have lapped them. I see many runners that I know and slow down to encourage each one for a short time. At the marathon distance I am at 4:10. My best time in well over a year. I feel very tired now and I am just forcing myself to keep going. Donna is there after each lap to help me with my needs. She is helping other runners too, that need help. She give me that "Love that Man" every lap. I respond likewise to her, but not with the same energy. I do not have it to spare. Now after finishing 20 laps, 4:31, I break up the laps into 6 parts and my feet are starting to hurt. I must of run to many trails in my trailing. I will keep up this strategy for the next three laps. After completing 22 laps my counter tells me that I have completed 21 laps. Since the counter is never wrong in runs like this I just tell him "I must of miscounted", but I am disappointed a little. The next lap I run as steady as I can still taking my breaks and letting my friends know I may not see them again, since I am nearly finished. As I come by my counter again he lets me know he made an error on the count. I am now starting my 24th lap at 5:20. Although I am so very tired I feel energized at the same time knowing I have only 2 laps to go. I go back to four short walk breaks and run as fast as my very sore legs and feet will let me. As I complete my 24th lap I am at 5:36. Now I know that if I just keep going I will be under 6:00 easy. I just go as fast as I can. As I come to my finish of 25 laps and 35 miles my counter tells me I did great. I finish with a 5:52. This result is from all those high mileage weeks and the lost of 20 pounds at the same time. Donna is so very happy for me. She lets me know how very pound of me she is. I am very happy too. The next runner in the 60 and over group ends up 7 miles behind me with 28 miles. I do not get an award though since I signed up for 12 hours, but I did tell the RD and my counter that I was stopping after 35 miles, since I was running Heart of America the next day. I do not say anything at the awards. My thinking is it may be that guys biggest award and I have a lot more than I care to count. Next Heart of America in Columbia, Missouri, tomorrow morning. It is only a two hour drive, so Donna and I have plenty of time. TomD
      Amazing TomD! I am tired just from reading about the laps and I realize I have another report to read as part of your matched set of monster runs. I don't know how you do this. You have a great support system and many fans---but still. WOW. Great job reaching your goal and with time to spare. Karin
      wildchild

Carolyn

Boy, I agree with Karin, I'm tired just reading about it! Can't wait to read the 2nd installment. Donna sure is a sweetie to be there for you all through a 6-hour run!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

i'm tired too -- now off to read Part 2!!

denise

SteveP

You're pretty hard core Tom!!!! Shocked

SteveP

lswife

You didn't get an award? You are now - from me! Wow! Great story and great accomplishment!
                Tom, nothing you do surprises me anymore but I continue to be amazed at your accomplishments. Way to go on a fantastic race. Now I need to see what you did the next day. TomS
                  OMG......big determination...huge heart!
                  Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                  coastwalker

...And this is only the first of two??? How is it humanly possible to run 25 laps, 35 miles one day, and then go out the next day for another race? You're amazing! It is too bad about the awards. But you do have Donna, and that is probably the best reward of all, especially at the end of a looong race. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

You are incredible!!! Wow. What the human body can do....

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

evanflein

I'd be dizzy after all those laps!! Tongue How does the counter keep count? I'd want to see him mark each lap off on a big poster board as I went past! Excellent job meeting your goal, but it doesn't sound right that you didn't get an award, or at least recognition for your finish! On to part II...

Marathon Maniac #957

Amazing, Tom, and with a marathon to run the next day. You are very inspiring!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!! how can you do it?. Great job Cool

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard