Masters Running

Thursday 10/30 runs and such (Read 579 times)

OK I haven't gotten my run in yet, but I usually get up and while eating my typical bowl of cereal I check out our thread and today...found no one had started...hmmmm bunch of slackers! Wink Well I'm certainly getting a little antsy about NY and have been going over everything these last couple of days trying to make sure I don't forget anything (like last year I forgot my chip...DUH). MTA - Last night I stopped by Goodwill and found a great pair of sweatpants for $2.50 to wear and toss away before the start, I already have a bucnh of long sleeve shirts and sweat shirtsI love that these races gather the stuff for the homeless, another way I can contribute to a good cause. Amy - could you send me that little checklist of yours? rscamman at yorkpolice dot org THANKS Have a great run everyone, I'll get 7 very easy miles in later this afternoon.
      Morning everyone. Just an easy-breezy 5 miles at 10:08 pace. I didn't see anyone out there this morning. Not even the newspaper delivery guy. Guess everyone's sleeping in today. This week I hit my record annual mileage. My previous high was 1613 miles in 2005. We'll be excited to follow you all at NY. That's one of my dream marathons. Their website says 3 d 2h 51m 28s. No, wait, 27s. 25s. The countdown clock is ticking!

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning! Thanks for starting us off today Mainerunnah - such slackers around here - geech! Good to see you posting so early PDR. Congrats on your mileage record. I was out for 3 miles with Brinkley this morning. Clear and cold - 33 27 degrees. My legs are still feeling a bit tired, so I'm keeping the runs short for a while. I might get up and out for 4 tomorrow morning so that I can have 100 miles in October. Ya never know - it may be a spooktacular run!! 3 miles - 9:35 avg. pace Happy Thoisday!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Good morning. Maine..Thanks for reminding me about throwaways PDR.. me too... on track for a mileage PR for the year Hopeful... I miss Tory.. been traveliing this week so we haven't run together since Monday... Tomorrow 4 EZPZ miles in 37:57 (9:29 pace, AHR 148). Clear crisp 32F

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Good point Maine! One of the things I really remember from last year's NYC marathon was the sea of discarded clothing that littered the vast staging area where runners await the start. 40,000+ runners means a LOT of clothing. I wondered how they'd ever get them all collected but they do - and quickly too! Today was one of those great confidence building runs that we all look forward to. After a long summer of H&H, today was IRC, 58F and 45%. I didn't want to do the scheduled tempos because the Sedona hills have left my legs a bit cranky. So I decided to run an easy GA pace. But, I ended up with 10.1 miles at 8:25 average pace. 9:34, 8:48, 8:28, 8:24, 8:06, 8:07, 8:06, 8:07, 8:12, and 8:22. Those 8:06's and 8:07's are my long tempo pace. All miles but the first two were easily sub-MP. I guess I got my tempo day anyhow. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good Morning Everyone... Bob. I am the super slacker right now Roll eyes Have a good run this after noon Buddie. Predawn, congrats on your yearly mileage PR...that's a BUNCH of miles...WTG. Hi Mary, nice run for you Dear One. I always loved running on Halloween night and people asking me "what are you dressed as, a runner" always seems cute at the time Smile Steve, soooo nice to see you running and not complaining to much about pain. Best of luck to you and Bob in your races. I just added my 0 miles run to my training log. That is 0 for a week, which is a weekly PR Roll eyes Foot still sore but getting a little bit better everyday, but it is NOT going to be pain free for my race as I can tell..gonna have to tough one out....still limping Angry Talked to Kelly shortly last night to work out our details. I am going to pick her up at the Indy Airport at 4:00 tomorrow, then we will go to packet pick up then dinner. It was nice to talk to her, and I can tell she is a hoot and nice Lady, and also knows a lot about Marathon running. I imagine she will help keep me calm...AS I AM FREAKING OUT. I don't think Kelly has to worry about any shenanigans as she is a boxer too Shocked. She Emailed me this..."I almost wished I had sent my original note about trusting one of Ribs friends... my original last line was: I'm not worried we'll be focused on our races blah, blah, blah and besides I'm also a recreational boxer! BTW, that's true, I box on Tuesday nights. Talk about a sport that will kick your a$$! Literally! :-) Just about anytime today before 6:30 PM CDT or after 9:00 would be a good time to reach me. ~K2" Kewl, a Marathon runner who can whup my butt also Big grin Now, the fear of the race is bothering me because I haven't run now for a week, and I feel like a slug. But I just have to assume all will come together Sat morning. Some may think I should take it easy on my Marathon because of my foot....NO WAY. My approach is like the one Twocat shared....flat going for it BABY!!! It's close enough now that this is what race day weather will be like Smilehttp://www.weather.com/outlook/driving/interstate/weekend/47304?from=36hr_topnav_driving 1 day, 23:2:4 to go YIKES Have a great day all, Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Good morning everyone. 34 chilly degrees here with no wind. 7.5 miles at a 9:45 pace followed by 5 minutes of jumping rope and some ab work. PDR - congratulations on your new mileage record. Are you training for anything right now? Mary - nice easy run this morning. I'll bet Brinkley is glad to have you back at it. and Perch - Tory is probably standing by your back door waiting for you to get home! Mainerunnah - good luck at the NYM. It's great that all those clothes go somewhere worthwhile. The homeless shelters here are always looking for clothing and bedding. Tim - you sound relatively calm this morning. For a while I was worried we were going to have to put you in a straight jacket! Good luck with meeting Kelly. Could this be the one???! Got a letter from DS#2 yesterday. He had a competition shooting a 9mm pistol and won a marksman's ribbon to put on his dress uniform. I told him all those years of playing video games had finally paid off! Have a great Thursday, everyone.

Marathon Maniac #957

OK I haven't gotten my run in yet, but I usually get up and while eating my typical bowl of cereal I check out our thread and today...found no one had started...hmmmm bunch of slackers! Wink
                  Well, shoot, Maine, it’s easy if you’re going to start the daily before your run.... Smile Bill – heck-of-a run! No way could I keep up with you anymore... Hang in there, Tim, it’ll be here before you know it. PDR- congratulations on your new mileage PR! 7.15 miles for me today in 29 degrees, with miles 3 and 5 at 8:46 and 8:43. It really seems harder for me to go faster when the temps dip below 35-40 degrees – somehow the cold just sucks the speed right out of me, what little there is. I suspect I may be doing most of my speedwork on the treadmill over the winter.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

9:34, 8:48, 8:28, 8:24, 8:06, 8:07, 8:06, 8:07, 8:12, and 8:22. Those 8:06's and 8:07's are my long tempo pace. All miles but the first two were easily sub-MP.
                    What a great run Bill, I know what you mean by a confidence builder. That was a superb run on "cranky legs". Wink Tim - your not slacking...you are being wise! And don't worry your legs will be fired up and ready to go come race day. And I think you and Twocat have the right attitude, just GO FOR IT! Good luck to you on Saturday, I'll be looking forward to your race report. Big grin Oh we'll all be looking forward to hearing how your weekend goes with Kelly...hmmm I wonder if she's just a plant by Ribs? Confused
                      Well, shoot, Maine, it’s easy if you’re going to start the daily before your run.... Smile
                      OK so maybe I'm a slacker too, but hey I did have to actually get up first! Big grin

Hill Runner

Good morning all, I'm envious of everyone that can run today, I'm still on the bench. Sad I must have really shredded some calf muscles last Saturday but I do sense some signs of healing. I was able to run a few short stretches yesterday while walking. I'm pretty sure that I'm on the mend. The funny thing about it is that after my last marathon in March I felt perfectly fine but lost motivation to run....this time it's the complete opposite, I can't run right now but can't wait to get out there again... Smile Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                        Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                        Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Marathon Maniac #3309

I meant to add also that I am impressed with your runs Bill, you are doing great Smile Yeah Jlynne, I do seem to be less freaked and calmer this morning...don't know really why (Vicodin), but I'll take it. Nice run for you too Holly...you will get used to the cold soon enough...treadmill Evil grin Good point Bob about Kelly and Ribs Big grin Peter, hope you get better real soon, partner Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

I haven’t posted much lately, so feel entitled to a long one… I tried a new running route today: a true trail run through a carpet of fallen leaves. My DW and I hike this trail occasionally, but it just occurred to me how good a run it would make. It’s a little hard to access, but is one of those hidden gems within the limits of city park property, yet a place that 95% of those living close by have never seen. It runs mainly along the bottomlands of the Clinton River, with high treed bluffs to one side and the floodplain on the other. The surface goes along a 100-year-old railroad bed, which itself uses parts of the towpath of a canal project that was abandoned here 150 years ago. You can still see some human artifacts – stone and concrete-work – that don’t make much sense until you realize what it was once part of. I remembered to wear my Forerunner this morning, but I left the MP3 player behind so I could enjoy the sound of crunching leaves and take in the other sights without distraction. It was a beautiful, crisp autumn morning: temperature in the high 20s, clear blue skies, with sunshine filtering down and a gentle rain of falling leaves. Incredible run all the way. 3.2 easy miles at a sub-10 pace. Good running, everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

biketm maybe we should see about arranging for side-by-side post-race burial plots? Dead Dead After nearly a week off my hamstring feels really good today. I am thinking of giving it a test spin. On the other hand, that is probably a pretty dumb move at this point. But then it would help to get in at least a few miles before Sunday. But, not that much and if I am wrong about how healed up I am then aggravating the injury will only make things much worse. But, it does feel good today . . . HELP! Confused

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Sounds like you had a good one Doug... Another 8 miler for me...
                                Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip