Masters Running

080808080808 Friday runs and such (Read 499 times)

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Morning! Today's the day! Since the Beers are away camping, I'll do revelry...wakie, wakie! 10 miles in 1:25:37 (8:34 pace AHR 151)..no big hills today Smile Still warm 70. First 2 with Tory

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #957

Good morning, Perch, and thanks for the wake-up call. Smile No run for me today – light x-training instead: shoulder presses, butterflies, dumbbell curls, push-ups, superman lifts, leg lifts w/ankle weights, face-up and face-down, wall-sits, various crunches. Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Top 'O the World!

No runs for me today - unless you count 'runnin' errands' as the day goes....& driving about in the mountains....have a little 13.1 m "group run" in the am Wink 08/08/08....Let the Games Begin!! Smile
        Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
          08/08/08 huh? There are only 12 of these types of days each Century. 4 more to go! Today was a bit of a toughie. Very H&H and the easy pace was even a bit of a challenge. 8 miles at 9:20 min/mile pace. Average HR 141 (good). Nice run Steve. Good rests and x-training Holly and Mtnchhk. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning all Smile 8 easy miles - 8:58 ave pace in my new / different brand running shoes. These shoes are definitely different and I will need to get used to them....I hope they help with the problems I was experiencing, but I need to take it easy for a few days. I do need to be careful because I am experiencing Achilles and PF pain which I have had for a long time, but have learned to manage it without stopping running...but the pain is a little more serious now, especially first steps out of bed in the morning but feels better as the day goes on. These new shoes seem to have a higher heel than my Nikes, but my running shoe store said they would be better for what I need...sure hope so Confused Nice 10 Steve....y da man Smile Happy Friday to you too Holly...great job keeping up with your X training and patience...and your pink attire Wink Mtnchk1, good luck with your "Little" run - I am looking forward to the games this year more than ever...don't really know why, but really look forward to the track and field events especially. Way to tough one out Bill...it's actually cool with low humidity here for a few days, and makes life for a runner more comfortable Smile Sending some sunshine Erika's way... mainerunnah, that sure was a fast / fine run yesterday on tired legs....great job and paces!!! Tall, that looked more like a whale to me Big grin - but I don't know my fish very well Roll eyes Have a wonderful TGIF everyone Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

I followed Perch’s 10- mile theme and ran 10.3 miles at 6:00 AM in the fog and mist. The Pioneer Valley where I live has become thunderstorm land, so I was grateful to find a spot of time without lightning strikes and rumbling. Today is THE day indeed and I listened to “Call of the Champions” three times while running today---all in 1:28 with some mailbox to mailbox strides in the last mile. I remember watching the 1972 Summer Olympics on our family’s first TV (a small black and white model—if you held the antenna the picture was clearer and that was my assignment). The kiddo seems to have inherited my geeky enthusiasm for the Olympics as he has printed out various viewing schedules and highlighted what he hopes he can watch. I know he also wants us to change his bedtime of 8:30 PM. “I am almost a teenager Mom, I think the Olympics will be a great time for me to test a later time”. Ha! One of my college teammates ran the 10,000 meters at the1992 Olympics in Barcelona and finished 4th in the Olympic marathon trials in 1996 (Atlanta) in 2:33.51 (she went as an alternate and to watch her husband who made it in the marathon---a true power couple). I grilled her back then with all sorts of questions about what it was like. It’s amazing to be a spectator, but to BE an Olympian….whoosh! My adrenaline is pumping today if you couldn’t tell! Careful Tim with PF flaring----ice, massage, stretch. I am worrying about you. Citius, Altius, Fortius, Karin
              Tramps

Noticeably cooler and drier today. 5.3 easy miles @ 8:44 with AHR 128/64% (love those temps!) Sporttracks question: I accidentally hit the start button taking off my Garmin and stopped it a bit later. This created an unwanted split with a ridiculously low pace. In Sporttracks, I went to delete the split by highlighting it and clicking on the delete “x”, then saying “OK” to the “do you really want to delete?” query. But the split remained and now the delete “x” is faded and inoperative. What am I doing wrong? Have a great weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

... I am experiencing Achilles and PF pain which I have had for a long time, but have learned to manage it without stopping running...but the pain is a little more serious now, especially first steps out of bed in the morning but feels better as the day goes on. These new shoes seem to have a higher heel than my Nikes, but my running shoe store said they would be better for what I need...sure hope so Confused
                  Tim... Speaking as one who had "the worst case of PF I've ever seen" said my Sports Med Dr. Resolution of the issue for me was 1. Wider shoes.. i.e proper fitting shoes 2. an over the counter insole.. Superfeet (blue for me) and 3. The best stretch for PF there is. Here's the stretch that I do after every run (not before): Standing in front of stairs, counter, ledge, whatever: I put my leg up on the crotch height ledge (or 3rd or 4th step or countertop) supporting the leg by the heel on the ledge. I bend forward and grab my foot (tip of shoe mid palm) with the same side hand and pull back the toes with leg straight while really straighteningthe leg. You feel it in the achiles (a bit), calf (real good), behind the knee (good), the shin (a little) and hamstring (good). Hold for 30 seconds pulling not real hard, (just a good feel stretch intensity). Repeat with other leg and do 3 sets total. I swear by this. It really took me through the PF and has kept it away. The pulling the foot back part is great for PF relief/prevention (fascia, achilies and calf all stretched at the same time). Also, before getting out of bed if you flex your feet (toes towards knees) strongly a couple time and then get up it helps... alot.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

dg.

good morning everybody. nice runs & workouts.... Holly, what would be heavy x-training? Karin, that's so cute about the kiddo. There's something about the Olympics, I'm geeky about them too, & have no idea why. Perch, thanks for that stretch. I've had some twinges, & would much rather prevent than cure. Tim, be careful! This would usually be a running day, but I've mentioned the hammies have flared up again...so I tried to be smart for once & did 22 min. on the elliptical, 18 on the recumbant bike, then couldn't resist just a very small run. 1.14 miles, 160 ahr 179 max, 10:05 averge pace, 7:25 max.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

All those 8's makes me thing of PBJ! Smile So, last night I'm looking at my training schedule for this week and I start wondering - is that a 4 or a 5? So I put on my glasses and see that Tues and Thurs. I only had to run 4 miles - not 5! DUH! So, the way I see it I already have 2 extra miles this week, so I'm going to do 5 tomorrow rather than the 7 that is on the schedule. (yes I had my glasses on to see the 7). My legs are tired and sore - but a good sore - the kind where you know your doing something again. I don't want to push my luck and get injured as Sunday eve I have to run15. Scheduled rest day. I have to work ALL day and then off camping for the weekend. Cheers!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

3.2 miles for me last night. I felt great during the run, but once again sore ankle today. I'm going to get new shoes and see if that makes any difference. (It turns out mine are Brooks Adreneline 7's, not 9's...old eyes and poor memory) I can't figure it out. Good news is that my DS who is 11 years old ran the first mile with me. He is a delight to have along and really doesn't express much interest in running, but I told him that it would be good for his soccer game and pretty much that he needed to try it out..."you may enjoy it" He did, and did seem to enjoy it and said that he could do that with me more often if he had a day in between to rest. He can sometimes be more words than action, but I thought it was a good sign. wildchild - I thought that I spent considerably more on school supplies this year...quite painful actually. We didn't even get that many clothes either. Good to have spareribs back... Good runs all! Janet

Marathon Maniac #3309

Tim... Speaking as one who had "the worst case of PF I've ever seen" said my Sports Med Dr. Resolution of the issue for me was 1. Wider shoes.. i.e proper fitting shoes 2. an over the counter insole.. Superfeet (blue for me) and 3. The best stretch for PF there is. Here's the stretch that I do after every run (not before): Standing in front of stairs, counter, ledge, whatever: I put my leg up on the crotch height ledge (or 3rd or 4th step or countertop) supporting the leg by the heel on the ledge. I bend forward and grab my foot (tip of shoe mid palm) with the same side hand and pull back the toes with leg straight while really straighteningthe leg. You feel it in the achiles (a bit), calf (real good), behind the knee (good), the shin (a little) and hamstring (good). Hold for 30 seconds pulling not real hard, (just a good feel stretch intensity). Repeat with other leg and do 3 sets total. I swear by this. It really took me through the PF and has kept it away. The pulling the foot back part is great for PF relief/prevention (fascia, achilies and calf all stretched at the same time). Also, before getting out of bed if you flex your feet (toes towards knees) strongly a couple time and then get up it helps... alot.
                          Steve....what you just just suggested is how I have been able to run with PF for a long time now, and recently started doing the stretch in bed before I step on the floor...does help a lot. Also, I don't walk around barefoot, but put my running shoes on first thing. But will admit, it has been worse lately and I seemed to have lost or messed up my gait the past couple of weeks or so Confused. I really just need to relax and not "over think" running and get back to what has worked for me. It really seems like I am struggling between mid foot and heel strike running, as I made the switch to mid foot running about 1.5 years ago....now I seem to be trying to do both at the same time. Thanks for the suggestions, I have been through this before, and got through it ok...but not training for a Marathon though. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

DickyG

I'm not as excited about the Olympics as many of you...I do watch the stuff that interests me...track, basketball, freestyle wrestling, baseball, swimming...but some of the other events, especially soccer, I just can't stomach...I think they actually have a badminton competition, don't they? Maine: Joel's time (as well as your own) was just fantastic...give him my congrats..maybe I can use his efforts as a little inspiration. dg: Thanks for the prehab URL...watched all of it...great stuff. Ribs:
                            ...as old as I feel.
                            Wait til you get my age, pal...(always wanted to say that). Craig: 14 miles on the hills..tough run, man. Sarge: Great race, especially with still-sore hammie. Perch: Thanks for getting us started with one of your usual powerful runs. TimBo & Karin: As usual, tough runs for you too. There's a good reason I'm not saying anything about golf yesterday! Ran 4.1 miles this morning on a hilly course...9:16 pace, my fastest post-injury run on this course. My pal Bobby from Atlanta, who knows I'm a big stock-car racin' fan, called me last night and said he saw the following bumper sticker: "I'm not speeding...I'm just trying to qualify". DickyG
                              Hi everyone, Did 45 minutes ez this morning, felt like an elephant, sure I put on 5lbs easy at the cottage. Here's a pic of a chair the girls and I built then painted on a rainy day at the cottage, note our handprints. Luckily my dad has a lathe at the cottage we can use with the generator.

Recent Best times: None recently

First things first: Spareribs welcome back from you long adventure! Please see if you can avoid a similar "adventure" in the near or even distant future! I think we much prefer you hanging around "here" than in the ICU. Smile nonoruns this is a reply to your post from a few days ago, but it seems like what can only be described as a the very sad situation you find yourself in is resolving itself as well as can be hoped. I fear I can do little more than offer my well wishes and hope your family weathers this storm as successfully as possible. perchcreek nice double digit run. Not every day has to be a hill workout day! Holly S. over the past few days I see you are running a bit more. Good luck with your continued recovery. Mtnchk1 when is your HM? Tomorrow? Confused breger1 personally I am waiting around to see 11/11/2111! Big grin biketm Achilles tendinitis, ah I know it well. Good luck with the new shoes. If you continue to have AT problems with them give me a shout I may have some useful suggestions from my long experience with this ailment. CNYrunner only 10+ miles today? Slacker! Big grin Tramps usually I am pretty good at ST issues but you got me stumped. You might try deleting everything for the day in ST and starting over. In that regard you can restart your Garmin, hit mode until the History option comes up. Then enter. Then enter again to drill down to running. Then enter again to drill down to by day. Highlight the day with the errant split. Enter. Then enter again for "View Laps?" Highlight the errant lap and hit enter. Scroll down to erase lap and hit enter. Then scroll to yes and hit enter one last time! Now use the mode key to back out. When ST gets the run from the Garmin the lap will be gone and so the run should load properly without any additional editing. Good luck. dg. smart cross training workout. Hope the hammies clear up fast! hopeful4ever I vote you do 7 anyway! What the heck! Big grin A 7 miler through the woods should be especially nice. HandyMom good luck getting your DS to start running. I know others that have run with their kids and it seems to work out well. At least until the kids hit about 14, then apparently nothing works out well for about the next six years! Smile DickyG nice run through the hills. Any new post-injury PR is always something worth a little celebration. Yesterday Actually, I have been reading the daily nearly every day. I am just so busy (I will explain why below) that I have not had time to post. The Jogger running without a Garmin! Confused [Twocat faints] Dave59 I never noticed you had a donut for your photo. I sooo love donuts! Now because of you I want to go out and eat a box. Yes, a box! I have before and if I ever find out I have a terminal illness I plan to do so again! Big grin SueT48 mildly hilly miles? Are there any other kind in CT? Jlynne if you can run 5 miles more or less intact that is good in and of itself. lyndenrunner nice "cruise" run, a 7:47 pace is pretty strong. Mariposai nice tempo run. mirko good to see you continuing to working on your future as a tri competitor! Wink Spareribs looks like great progress to me! I hope keep things heading in the right direction. However, I hear 6-packs of Guinness are ok to lift post open surgery. You might want to check into it. Clowning around fjordrunner I can really sympathize with work interfering with posting! Heck I should not be taking the time right now! BCMorant careful directing comments at Ribs he is likely to report you did a 22 mile run all up hill any day now! tselbs nice 6. I too like exploring areas around town I have never seen. I should really do it more often. busiman nice 14 miler. Quick pace too! Sarge be nice to that hamstring! Seems like it was ok post run yesterday so that is good. mainerunnah nice pace on your 10 miler. halllar seems like this is the summer of thunderstorms! I cannot remember ever seeing them arrive like this day after day after day after day . . . Sad wildchild good job keeping the economy humming along! Hope your DD likes her new outfits. evanflein wow good job on the TM! I just hate running on those things. Me er, Twocat oh whatever. I have another one of those local races at that very popular distance of 6.76 miles tomorrow so no running for me today. Two days ago I decided to run at tempo pace the course in the middle of a 14 mile run. This was after early morning thunder storms canceled my run with my TP. By the time I could go out it was hot, humid, sunny and high noon when I hit the course. To say my "tempo" pace sucked wind is giving sucking and wind bad names! I was dying and my pace was just a 7:50! Man things better go better tomorrow! Yesterday may have been worse! (No, seriously!) I went for a 6 mile run with some friends. We all get to the start and I had forgotten to bring my Garmin! (What is that disease again where you forget things?) Fortunately, one of my friends has one so all was not lost. She turns it on and the battery is dead! Dead I tell you! Dead! (Garmin really needs to install an auto shutoff feature so that the watch does not accidentally drain its battery if you are not using it. This has happened to me several times after it has mysteriously turned itself on after coming loose from the charger.) Anyway all of this means NONE OF US has a Garmin. [Editor: Twocat just fell to the floor trembling from the memory. Give him a second. Ok, he's back.] Well we ran anyway. I know hard to believe, but we did. Post run I mapped the route out in Sporttracks and figure we did about 6 miles so that is how I logged it. Good runs all today.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/