Masters Running

Tuesday, 4.19.16 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Reading the Boston thread was amazing. Even though all our racers had long-since finished, I was still encouraging, urging and cheering with every update. Thank you to Mike and everyone else who participated, and helped make it so exciting to read about how all our racers were doing. A HUGE congratulations to Karin, Amy, Esther, Robin, and Marj for getting it done with style, grace and speed.

That simple photo of Marj and Henry from the race yesterday made me stop and look at it for a while. It tells a wonderful story about the depth of the relationship between two very special people.

I also really enjoyed the photos from Steve of the Super Hero 5K and the trails (with all their scary steepness).

Good luck dealing with the ITB issue, Tammy. Use your good judgement about the 30K this Saturday. Meanwhile, that is some impressive planting cross-training that you did!

Nice runs and walks, Dave, Tselbes, Tet, RCG (hiking with the fascist foot), Mike, Mariposai, and Evanflein.

It took me about 1 hr and 15 to drive to Hopkinton yesterday morning (I won't tell you how much above the speed limit I was going), and then I waited for about 20 minutes in traffic to go half a mile. I found a place to park in town instead of having to go out to a nearby state park and take a shuttle bus back to town, which probably saved me at least another 20 minutes. It was cool (upper 40s) when I arrived, but I knew it was going to warm up after the sun came up, so I wore shorts and a long-sleeve t. Once I checked in and got my jacket, I'd have to wear that too. Security was tighter this year than last year, and I had to go through 2 security check points just to get to the school where I checked in for my volunteer assignment and got my official credentials. I spent some time talking to some of the other volunteers before our group gathered for an overview of our jobs for the day. Then we went out to the course to find our corrals and get oriented to the space. We had some free time before the runners started loading into the corrals, so I went up to the front of corral #1 where Deeze was part of the 'human chain' that would help to hold back the racers up front until it was time to run. We watched the impaired runners line up and get started, and then watched as the push-rim wheelchair racers moved into position, with the hand-crank wheelchairs behind them. Those racers were very impressive, as was their equipment. It was inspiring just to watch them line up and get ready to race. Before they got started, however, I noticed that some of the runners were starting to drift into corral #1. So it was time for us to get to work. I was assigned to corral #4, and was on the 'approach' team. That meant that I stood out in the chute that all the racers took to their corrals, and directed those in corral 4 to our entrance. i also had to turn some people around who were heading the wrong way to their corrals (a few people were unhappy about that, but most just dealt with it). Since not everyone spoke English, we used hand signals as well as our voices. There were 4 waves, 9 corrals, and about 1,000 racers assigned to each corral in each wave. So, yes, it was organized chaos. It was also warming up, even before the first wave started, and the sun was very strong, and we knew that was going to be a problem for some of the racers who were not acclimated to warm weather. (By the time I left, a bit after noon, the temperature had climbed to the low 70s.) I was very excited to see and give a hug to Amy on her way up to her corral (of course, she was in one of the lower number corrals). I was sorry, but not surprised that I didn't see any of the rest of our racers, but I did see a few racers I know from home, and it was great to help get them off to a good start. It was a very busy morning, I was on my feet for about 6 hours and had nothing more than a bottle of water all that time, and I loved every minute of it. I now have 11 Boston Marathon volunteer jackets, and I hope to be back for #12 next year.

It was raining a bit this morning, and I was tired, so I used the rain as an excuse (thanks, Twocat!) to sleep in a bit. Tomorrow's another day.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Congratulations to everyone running Boston.  Being born in Buffalo I have a large amount of "hate" for anything to do with Boston. Mostly the Patriots and Bruins. But I try to put those feelings aside and cheer for the marathoners. 

Back in Michigan, Tuesday was hill day, and I still follow the old gang on Facebook.  They finally were able to get back on the hill today. The snow melted and it dried out. Coincidentally, I decided to make Tuesday a hill day for me here in WV starting today.

I only got in 3.6 miles, but I did one set of 3 times up one of the larger hills and then just to try a different spot I did once up a different hill.  It was only about half the workout we did in Michigan mileage wise, but my elevation gain on Garmin today was double (981 feet) what it used to be in Michigan.  (I'm not too convinced the elevation is very accurate though so who really knows?)

I fell once coming down because I got going faster than my legs could keep up with.  There was a brief moment of terror when I knew I was a goner, but the ground was soft and I got up and continued on.

It would be nice to have a gang to run with again.  It makes the pain seem less when there are other people doubled over gasping for air over like you.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

55F

4 miles

38:22

Tricia, Marty, Bob, Bill, Jane, Carol, Ralph, and I started out this morning. Bill dropped off before we got into Eastern State. Marty and Tricia were ahead and out of sight before the 2 miles mark. Jane, Carol, and Bob turned into the shopping center. So it was just Ralph and yours truly running around New Town. At 4 miles, I decided to shut it down. I hadn't run since the Reston Marathon Relay and the hiking this weekend left me a little sore. So I walked back to the rec. center. About the same time I stopped running, Carol, Bob, and Jane showed up behind us!? We thought they were taking a shortcut. So Ralph took off with them and I walked alone.

It's nice to have that first run back on the books. I am going to baby my fascist foot. It felt all right during the run butt, I think the discomfort traveled up to my right butt cheek because I had a bit of piriformitis after the run. I truly believe I am on the road to recovery.  Discretion being the better part of valor, I shall continue my timid comeback.

Here's hoping the Boston finishers are enjoying a pleasant recovery!

I enjoyed seeing Steve's photos yesterday. And I loved seeing Holly's familiy and her gifted niece's work.  Marj and Henry's photo is classic and should be preserved in our family album here.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

WOW!! The Boston thread yesterday was amazing!! I just read through the whole thing and it was so fun seeing the goings on while I was out there yesterday!!

I have to tell you volunteering at the start line is honestly the next best thing to running - actually in some ways better because you get to experience all the events at the start and don't have to go thru those agonizing hills later!!    I was excited to see and take pictures of Bryan Lyons who now runs with Rick Hoyt - he is a friend of mine thru my running and triathlon group, John Young who is an amazing athlete with dwarfism - he doesnt let anything hold him back and is training for his first full Ironman, Uta Pipping who is so gracious to everyone, and all the mobility impaired athletes, wheelchair, handcycle athletes are just truly amazing!! I was thrilled to see Jay at the start and posted a pic of us and all those I just mentioned on FB, but you know how technologically challenged I am and can't pull them to here.

After our start line duties were done, it was time for more fun which started with drinking wine in the luggage compartment of our coach bus - lol. We had a great lunch at M J O'Connors then went over toward the family meeting area to wait for our runners. I was thrilled to see Karin come through and walked her part of the way back to her hotel - she looked great!! As soon as I walked back to our meeting spot, Esther (OM) came through with her coach and I was able to spend a little time with them as well. Again, both looked great and were happy with their race!! I didin't get to see Robin or Marj but had fun spending time with them at the RA party Sunday. Robin must be on her way to Costa Rica by now to join the rest of her family - she really is amazing!!

It really was a fabulous weekend!! I'll have to catch up on all the rest of the happenings but I hope RCG and Twocat heal up quickly!!

denise

That was a classic photo of Marj and Henry!

No run this morning - took DD to the orthodontist.

Yesterday it got up to about 88F?  Crazy.  Today's predicted to be only 82F?  On the plus side, the long term weather forecast for San Francisco this weekend keeps getting better.

Tet - I am thinking I should run with you one morning on your run-mute, not just cycle beside you.  Maybe one day towards the end of next week?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Five miles - after yesterday’s record 89-degree historical April high since they started recording temps for downtown Seattle in 1872 or something, it had only made it up into the low sixties by the time I finished this morning’s now hour/fifteen-or-twenty minute long five mile run-a-mute.
              Henrun - does your local seniors running club have a magazine or web page like the Silver Striders out here in the PNW so that photo can become their poster child. It’s like Life’s Alfred Eisenstadt came back for one more award-winning photo.  It sure is and I agree with rose that it would be nice if we could make it ours too.  You must be super proud.  We sure are.
              Enks - if it works out, maybe you could get off at the MI Park-&-Ride and run or Gigi the km or so to the MI Bridge so we could run or ride across sometime.  I may have another GS trip in a week or so so just let me know. Uhm, I’m actually not that fast anymore, as if I ever was, so plan on starting early if you want to make it to work on time.  Smile
              Deez - thanks for the IM Rick Hoyt update

and 50-yo retired German Olympian marathon runner (1992/1996)

who apparently just decided to run Boston with but two days to go.
              Uta Pipping - German Olympian (1992/1996) and winner of New York City (1993),

Berlin (1990/1992/1995) and Boston (1994/1995/1996) marathons.

Hey leslie, Uta apparently went to Humboldt University.

However, it’s the one in Berlin)

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

RCG, sorry to hear about the PF (love the "fascist foot" comment).  You don't appear to be letting it deter you.  Swift healing.  I join the others in thinking the picture of marj and henrun is special.

This morning, I ran a mile in 10:27.  A little later, I walked 3 miles at a 13:23 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

..yep, Good Race Reporting yesterday,,,,,Well Done to the Racers

well,

both feet seem to be getting Re-Skinned...........by this I mean AIR doesn't hurt now

will

continue PoolRunning until next Wed when I leave,

I've had enough surprises post-trip

===========

........40-min PoolRun, no belt, closed fists, run in shallows

today and yesterday

(I got side-tracked with The Marathon)

...............good running to ya............Boston Guys, have a Loved One carry you Up Stairs for a while.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Very short on time, so no time to respond to each post.  But I loved all the updates yesterday re Boston and am so proud of our Masters.  The pic of Marj and Henry is priceless.

I can't remember when I posted last in here but due to time constraints am cutting and pasting this from another thread:

Saturday Heidi and I ran at Prairie Creek State Park and had an EXCELLENT 16-mile run.  One of the best runs I've had in a long, long time.  It's rare that at the end of an LR I feel like I could keep going, but Saturday - that's what it felt like.  Oh how I wish I could bottle up those experiences and bring them out when the crappy run is happening.

Yesterday it was an hour of core/ST after work, with lots of leg work.

This morning it was 6 predawn miles on tired legs that started to wake up toward the end.

Thursday morning - bright and EARLY (like by 4:00 a.m. - it'll be about a 10+ hr drive) - we head south to Cambria to bury my dad's ashes on Friday and have his Life Celebration on Saturday.  I predict tears, smiles, and laughter as family we haven't seen in years and years gather to celebrate a man who had no comprehension how he influenced those around him.  Not to "saint" him in anyway - because he could drive me absolutely crazy - but he was a good man, a real good man, and I was blessed to have him as a dad.

So I'll try to pop in here, but I make no promises.

Enjoy the rest of the week, friends ~

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

[[[fatozzig]]]

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay ad Deez - sounds like a great time volunteering!

Rose - sorry about your unruly foot.  Brave of you to take on such long miles hiking.  Have you tried KT tape, btw?  I have had some success with various issues with KT.

Leslie - sounds like a great run!  And I hope your Life Celebration for your father is a joyous, if tearful, event.

4 miles for me on the TM this morning watching Grantchester.

I am reading Afterwards, by Rosamund Lupton - I recommend it.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Just stopping in to say hi and to report that I ran 10 miles with 3x2 thrown in the middle for fun.

Okay--that's it--gotta go.  See ya!

quick post here as well to update from my morning post

4.4 miles before 60+minutes computraining -- my legs are now toast!!

((leslie))

MikeE - what does 10 miles with 3x2 thrown in the middle mean??

sweet dreams!!

denise

Leslie, tears are healing but I'm sure you know that. Celebrating life is something we should do more of.  Rose, I did miss that you weren't posting, hope you can work through that fascist foot.

I am too tired to respond to everyone too, but did so enjoy the Boston thread yesterday. How fun to track everyone's little runners on the map, well everyone except Marj, that is.

After having a weeks worth of constant wind it finally died down today, yeah! I decided to run hill repeats because I don't think I have ever done them before. I can't tell you how steep it was, but maybe 25 feet elevation over .25 mile. I know that the wind speed was less than 5mph so I felt like I was flying. The last two miles home I ran in 10:56 & 11:18 with overall pace of 11:46. It felt good although my MHR peaked at 168. I am going to try to figure out how to import the data from my Forerunner, I have not been successful since like 2013 so here goes.....

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Mariposai

A lot to catch up here, but it is Omak Orchards in Bloom week and I don't have enough hours in a day to run, work, and plan the race.

5 miles,post very productive board meeting.  My agency's board meeting that is. I am really blessed with a great board.  They ask the hard questions,  give me their input,  but they let me lead the agency.  Win, win for all.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard