Masters Running

RR -- MDRA 7 Mile (Read 273 times)

HermosaBoy

Came into this race with some trepidation. Never ran it before, but heard it was HILLY! Looked up some results from last year and saw that someone who beat me in a 25k actually ran slower on this 7 mile course. Shocked So, what to do? Just try to compete. Got up at 5:30 and out the door for a 2 mile shake out run. Had some toast with peanut butter and jelly (expanding lately -- used to just be a banana) and hit the road. Showed up at the race and saw some of the usual suspects. Two of the FAST 40 plus runners are here. Oh well, get registered and head out for a 2 mile warm up before changing into my flats. Did a few strides and headed to the starting line. Lined up 1 row back from the total front and got ready to GO! First part of the race is a gradual uphill and the master runner that I beat last week takes the lead. Some of the younger speedsters are still warming up. I try to stay in touch and am in 2nd. Fairly tight bunch of 5 or 6 of us. Come through the mile in 5:56. Feeling good, but the youngsters start showing their speed. Not going to try to keep up. About 1.25 into the race, the runner who beat me in the 25k lets out a 4 letter word comment (he was fairly close behind me at the time) -- guess he won't be playing today. Darn -- I like running with him. At this point, I am in 5th. The master has given ground and two younger runners are moving ahead of him. there is a 30 something runner between us. I am just trying to stay in touch. Mile 2 comes in 5:55. Still comfortable, but 3rd and 4th have opened a little bit of a lead on me. Gotta push a bit. Mile 3 comes in 5:58. Just trying to run the course. At this point, the master has moved back to 4th and the 30 something seems to be pulling away. I try to put a couple of surges on and pass the master runner at around 3.75. Too soon? I hope not. No reason to look back -- just keep running! Mile 4 comes in 5:48 -- didn't realize it was downhill -- not complaining though. Big grin Now I had heard that there was a triple hill on the course, but I thought it was in mile 6 -- wrong! It was in mile 5 and it was ugly! Just trying to keep my arms low and swinging! Mile 5 comes in 6:16 Surprised Nice hills! Good news -- I think I have opened a lead on 5th. Additional good news, 3rd is in play. I catch him on an uphill at around 5.5. Turns out its someone I have seen at a couple of races. I pull a bit ahead of him on the uphill, but I can tell he is conserving. At the top of the hill, he starts catching up. We have a brief conversation about our training over the winter, planned races and our feelings about Boston, then he starts to move. If I had a bit more confidence, I would have went with him -- but I didn't. Cry I wished him a good finish and put a target on his back to try to pull me along. Mile 6 comes in 5:51. From my warm-up, I know that there is a nice hill on the way in at about 6.5, then downhill to flat to the finish. Just gotta keep em moving! Work hard on the uphill, stay on it into the flat for a bit, recover and then hit the downhill! ARGH! Round the last turn and see the finish. I won't be catching 3rd, but 4th place is all mine. Mile 7 comes in 5:48 Unofficially, 41:33 which put me 4 seconds per mile ahead of my goal coming in. The best news, I get to run this course TWICE with an extra 1.5 miles next Saturday for a 25k. That will be a GMRP run -- I hope I can hold the pace... Thanks for reading!!! In case you are curious, here's the hill profile from my garmin... Photobucket

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Awesome effort! It must be fun running up in the front of the pack. Thanks for the great RR

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

yes, hermosa, great race and you can sure write a good report....love the graphs.
        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
        PJH

Nice race, Hermosa! Some great paces. Good luck next weekend. PJ
            Chalk up another strong effort for the racing machine. Nice finish and good luck next Saturday.
            Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
              Great report and racing hermosaboy. I love all the detail in your reports including graphs. You bring it to life with humor, intensity and a great spirit. You are running so strong and not so long after surgery. Impressive. CNYrunner

Renee the dog

Nice job. Good luck next weekend!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Hey Rob, Again......nice race! You really held a fast pace and beat the rest of the Master runners out there. (Did I see that you beat Jim R 2 weeks in a row.....WOW) I'm so envious that you can hold that sub-6:00 pace and your avg HR stays under 160. Stay healthy now and don't do anything stupid before April 21! John
                  HermosaBoy

(Did I see that you beat Jim R 2 weeks in a row.....WOW)
                    I think that makes 3 of the last 4. Big grin

Rob

i am totally in awe right now - i can't believe you can talk running a sub 6minute mile!! Shocked my mouth is truly hanging open right now!! you are AMAZING!! congratulations on a great race!!

denise

Geez - great run. Makes me tired just hearing about it. But if your are talking to your competitors at mile 6 then you must have been dogging it. - Get that guy next time! Sounds like you are in great shape for Spring racing system. Ray
                        HermosaBoy

Geez - great run. Makes me tired just hearing about it. But if your are talking to your competitors at mile 6 then you must have been dogging it. - Get that guy next time! Sounds like you are in great shape for Spring racing system. Ray
                          It was a short conversation...

Rob

Wow, hermosa, you are good. I enjoyed your report. Congrats on beating those hills and your high OA finish. TomS
                            btb1490

Is there ever a weekend that you DON'T race? It's great to hear you are running so well, I remember a couple of months back you were worried about your fitness post-surgery. I hope you aren't worried anymore. Great great performance on a very tough course. Congrats!
                              HermosaBoy

Is there ever a weekend that you DON'T race?
                                It's racing season... At this point, let's see -- I think I have a race every weekend from now until 6/14... And yes, I am feeling pretty good about my fitness! Big grin

Rob