Masters Running

Saturday 5 10 14 (Read 38 times)

SteveP

A 5K with Noah and a fully dysfunctional Tag

SteveP

...good to see Tag back to what passes for Normal........Number#35 looking ready to go too

..............also

Claire said Thank You Sooooooo Much for the pictures, she is showing All her Friends...

that

she DID like IceCream

and

doesn't have another name

========

....but I digress.......

30mprnb

deo

........................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Good morning Steve, Tom, Noah, Tag and all to follow. Great picture grandpa! Tag looks like he just finished drinking a double espresso from Starbucks

Glad to see you back in the pool, deow/nb. Is Claire in town for the weekend?

An absolutely gorgeous start to Mother's Day weekend here. 7 miles at 6:00 AM in clear blue skies and a very comfortable 56°  Sure hope it's like this next weekend. Grandma is hanging out with baby Nicholas while the older boys go to a Brewer game with their parents and cousins. Headed out to get some yard work done before the one year-old gets here, as I KNOW the rest of the day will be spent chasing him around. He's walking now and doesn't like to rest much

Saw a man at the grocery store this morning with two hanging baskets and a bottle of wine. I told him "great choice of gifts you've got there". Happy Mother's Day and good luck to those racing this weekend!

evanflein

Saw a man at the grocery store this morning with two hanging baskets and a bottle of wine. I told him "great choice of gifts you've got there". Happy Mother's Day and good luck to those racing this weekend!

Yep, that's just about perfect!

Love the picture (and description) to start the daily. Tag looks ready to go!

Still sitting around drinking coffee, thinking about what to do today... Will be working on cleaning out the garage this weekend in preparation for a big demo/reno job. Long overdue....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Ended up with an early Mother's day here.  DW insisted on going to the garden store TODAY.  Guess what was sitting in her MD card?  Yep, a gift card to said garden store.  So as much as she hates getting holiday gifts early, she sort of had to open it before Sunday.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Yeah...Tag looks kind of fierce...but Noah thinks it's funny so he can't be too fierce...unless Noah thinks fierce dogs are funny...which is a little alarming, yet somewhat understandable...it can't be healthy growing up thinking your grandpa is Batman...can it?

Oh hey--speaking of liking ice cream.  Two of my granddaughters had their very first ice cream cones last week.  It seems odd to see them in shorts living in Alaska, while I'm still bundling up to go for my runs.

I did a 5k run/walk with my DD and another granddaughter, this morning.  It was a run to raise money for the hearing impaired.  It was fun...until she tripped and skinned up both knees and hands.  But she finished.  The run was around a pretty round lake and, since there were no sharp turns, she couldn't figure out how we got back to the start without ever turning.  She's a real cutie...I can't be around her without hugging her a few dozen times.

Since I was scheduled for 10, I went around the lake a couple more times to give me a total of 9.2 miles for the day...that's good enough.

Oh--speaking of granddaughters.  Three of my other granddaughters had track and field day for all their area elementary schools.

Mallory (left) took 1st in the 400, 1st in the long jump, and 3rd in the medley relay.  Madison (middle) took 1st in the mile.  McKenna (right) took 1st in the long jump, 1st in the 60 m hurdles, and 1st in the 100 m dash.  Yeah...they're cool...

Okay--I have a ton of stuff DW is expecting me to get done today and I ain't gettin' nothin' done down here.

There have been several neat pictures already today: Steve with Noah and Tag at their 5K, Mike's little grand daughters with their first ice cream cones, and Mike's bigger grand daughters with their track medals.   breger, congrats on being retired.  Twocat, I'm glad to hear your wife is doing well.  Mike, great to do a 5K with a daughter and grand daughter.  mari, nice long run yesterday, including 6 miles with your husband.

This morning, I did a very small  5K in a neighboring town.  The people who put it on had never done it before but still did a pretty good job.  They didn't advertise well and had a small turn out.  There were 12 in the race, 4 in the walk, and a few kids in a fun run.  The race was to raise funds for a scout like group and 8 of the 12 runners were high school kids, mostly track and cross country runners.  The only one of my runner friends to be there is a 63 year old lady that I've known for quite awhile.  We ran together and tied for 10 and 11th of the 12.  I was the oldest in the race and was 2/2 in my AG (40+).  My AG winner was 52, 18 years younger than me.  My friend, Pam was the 2nd oldest in the race and won her AG (also 40+).  The only other non HS age runner was a lady who appeared to be in her early 30s and won her AG even though she was 12/12 OA.  The lady who appeared to be in charge was one of my ex HS students.  I enjoyed the race and the people I talked to.  Occasionally, it's fun to do a race like this.  My GPS gave me a time of 30:17, pace of 9:30, and distance of 3.19 miles.  I did a mile warm up and 1.9 miles afterwards to give me 6 miles for the day.

Oh, I almost forgot.  I ran my first race in June of 2000 and today's race was number 200.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

Steve - nicely coordinated outfits! 

Yay for Mike's GD's!

TomS - nice 5K!  40+ is a rough AG group.

This morning's forecast was for 30% chance of rain.  The weather forecast was wrong, once again.

10.2 miles for me in a steady rain.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Love the photos! Tag looks like he's saying: C'mon! Race speed now!

Mike, what cuties and awesome grand kids!

I hope JLynne isn't totally tuckered out, but it's all good if it's grand kid tuckering, yes?

Ran 8.5 miles mid-morning after a 40 minute weights and core session. Feeling fine and looking forward.

Go Tselbs go and Happy 200th!

Belated congrats to Breger!

coastwalker

Howdy everyone!

Tag and Noah look like they are having fun, and are ready to race!

Nice deo, TW.

I'm glad you're getting Mother's Day weekend off to such a good start, Jlynne.

Sitting over a cup of coffee sounds good, Evanflein; cleaning out the garage - not so much...

Good MD planning on your part, Stumpy.

Great picture of the first ice cream cones, Mike! And great work on the track (and field) by your other grand daughters - congrats all around.

Congrats on race #200, Tselbes - awesome! Sounds like it was an interesting small (very small) race.

The forecast wasn't wrong, Holly; you just got the 30% part instead of the 70% part. Sorry about the rain though.

Nice run & weights & core work, CNY.

I met Milk Truck (he found me) just before the start of today's Big Lake Half Marathon in Alton, NH. It was his first time on this course, so I hope he posts how he did. It was very cloudy and in the upper 40s/low 50s at the start. A light rain started when I got to about mile 2, and kept up for another 30-40 minutes or so. The rain felt good, and kept me cool. The clouds were so low that you couldn't see the tops of some of the trees. It warmed up a little after the rain stopped, but didn't get too warm. This is a relatively hilly course, with miles 2-6 being mostly uphill. After that, it was rolling hills, with one steep downhill somewhere around mile 7. My focus for today was on turnover rate: I took advantage of the uphills by maintaining my cadence better than most of the runners around me. And I tried to take advantage of the downhills by opening up my stride while increasing my cadence. From mile 8 on, I started to push a little harder, and reeled in some runners who had passed me in the first few miles of the race. When I racewalked this race in '06, I finished in 2:30:36. Today I finished in 2:24:10 (net time), which is my fastest half as a racewalker by about 10 seconds (I've been racewalking since '03).  Without a walking div., I was 5/9 in my age group, and 671/809 overall. Maybe I would have done a little better on a flatter course, but I have no regrets about today's race.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

King of PhotoShop

Congrats Tselbs!

Spareribs

Hard to believe that it was only 3 wks ago we had snow!! Today was a gorgeous, sunny, breezy 65 degrees when I drove to the state trail (paved/dirt trail).  Seemed everyone was out enjoying the day, biking, walking, running, rollerblading, fishing (along the lake), boating.

Gotta wash my harley and get an oil change so I can join the other bikers out there!!  Finished another 10 miler, YES!!  No races planned but we will be in downtown Boston for a conference in a couple of weeks. I plan to run a couple of races when we visit northern AZ again in early June, yippee!!  I miss my trails.

TomS and coastwalker:  CONGRATS on your races!!  WAY TO GO on your AG finish!!

How is it that I think I post here often and then realize it has been a week? Then it gets worse, 'cause I feel badly that I have no idea who is doing what, but then there is Jay ... a moment of just appreciation for Jay. Then again, I read up on Avenger Dog, and remember that we all just know on some level what is what - don't we?

I would say a special congrats to Breeeeeeeger for retirement!

Oh yeah - running - lovely solo run today. As much as I enjoy running with LW, he really just humors me and is out there to smell.

Claire doesn't have another name???

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

wildchild

Carolyn

Congrats on race #200, Tom!  That's a lot of racing in 14 years!

Steve and Mike, thanks for the pictures!  I want ice cream, too!

Bummer about the rain, Holly. Way to tough it out.

Nice racing, Jay and Milktruck!

I did something I don't do very often - cut a planned long run short.  I was planning to run the first 26 miles of a local ultra course called the Golden Gate Dirty 30, held in my local state park.  I'm not doing the race, because I don't want to pay to run somewhere I run all the time, and because I'll be at DD's graduation that weekend, but I thought it would be fun to run the course.  I've run all the trails in the park, but never linked them up together that way before. The RD picked all the hardest trails for this course!  Wow!  It was hardly runnable at all, because it was so steep and rocky, and there were lots of downed trees, and some snow remaining.  After 5 hours I had only gone 17 miles, and at that rate it would have taken another 3 hours to finish.  There's a storm coming in (lots of snow in the forecast!)  so I bailed to the nearest trailhead and ran 3 miles on the road to get back to my car.  Total 20.5 miles - good enough.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Cool picture of a possessed Tag and Noah thinking it's funny.

Nice fast race waling improvement coastwalker!

Race 200, Tom! Wow!

Breeger retiring is pretty sweet! enjoy the sleep!

On Thursday I finished an experiment of running a half marathon distance every morning for 13 days (13.1x13. Get it?)

Yesterday, only running 10 miles felt like slacking :-)

Today I ran 10 miles but included the local 5K race. This was the first 5K in 2 years. About 1000 runners.

Somehow I managed to keep a hard effort, especially up a big long hill the last mile.

1st AG 60-69 with a  25:23 (1/17AG and 92OA )!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova