Masters Running

Tues - Get Out and Vote - Day (Read 372 times)

Waiting here at 4:45 a.m. for my capris to dry so I can get in my miles.  Anyone wanna come join me??

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

coastwalker

Hi Leslie,

I'll have to go shopping (after I vote) to get some capris so I can join you.

There were lots of good lines yesterday, and this was one of the funniest:  "I remember Blue Oyster Cult.  Their lead singer was Christopher Walken."

What to put on my tombstone? Hmmm...that'll require some thought. I wonder if I have time?

No workout this morning. I woke at 2am with too much on my mind, and the list kept growing. I finally got up and wrote down everything that I was afraid I'd forget to do today. Then I went back to bed and finally got back to sleep. I woke at 5:10 - too late to head out, but that was OK for today.

"Vote early, vote often."

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

So who passed you up on your run today?

Everyone. Roll eyes  First day of below freezing temperatures and I wimped out.  It would have been a glorious still morning for a run.  Definitely out of practice in the motivation levels.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Slo

Waiting here at 4:45 a.m. for my capris to dry so I can get in my miles.  Anyone wanna come join me??

Now who could pass that up !?!

11.3 miles on some long gradual inclines. Nice and easy.

This evening plans include sipping on a Manhattan and watch the election coverage. No cherry please.

Dave59

Up early (for me) and got in a run of 4.94 miles.  The contractors are finally coming today to start work on the bathroom.  It's been a minor inconvenience for the past couple months not to have a shower upstairs. Of course, after today there won't be a toilet or sink either, but hopefully that won't last too long.

My granddaughter shared her Christmas plans with me.  (She's four and a half.)  She is going to hide all her toys except for 1 stuffed animal so Santa will think she doesn't have much and give her more.  If that works, I am going to try it next year.

Top 'O the World!

>>>> off to hide all my toys!! Big grin >>>>>

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

King of PhotoShop

Psychologists who treat people with sleep disorders always recommend making a list of all the things that are on your mind, then going back to bed.  Taking them from your head and moving them to paper releases the burden of fearing you will forget. This is a strong method and it works. A hot bath before bed, and not watching TV or having a lot of light in front of you (computer screen) are also helpful.  Good approach Jay.

As to tombstones, there is that old chestnut to the effect that you never see one that says, "I should have spent more time at the office."

Pleased to get 4 miles in this morning at a nice brisk pace, even though my legs felt tired and my quads are dead.

Some advice wanted from those of you who have had the following experience because I haven't and know nothing about it:  SpareTire is 40 and he's a bulky muscle kind of guy. (In the photo he is on my right.  My RP is on my left. Notice he's got on his compression sleeves.)

On long runs, he often gets hit with painful cramps always in the same area, the calf or soleus.  He does exercises, stretches, ART, everything, but they continue.  At the Half it got him again at ten miles and he ended up jog/walking it in. I ran back to bring him in and it was painful to see.

I'm thinking maybe this is electrolytes and there is something he could be taking, in addition to the Gatorade offered in the race. Anybody experience this or have some ideas?  Thanks, Spareribs

Nice to hear about your dad, Erika.

Stumpy, below zero Fahrenheit is an acceptable excuse, not below  zero Celsius.

But I should talk -- this was also one of our first sub-freezing mornings and I stayed inside at the rec center. An hour of spinning class followed by 30 minutes in the pool seemed about right.

I'll be offline in a major way tomorrow, as we're having U-verse installed to take over our phone, Internet, and TV. I just hope I can work with the technician to figure out the best way to cable things. We're fussy about holes being drilled in our walls, plus I have some CAT5 cabling infrastructure that I'd like to continue using. Could be fun...

I'll be running on Thursday and will report back in then, assuming that I have an Internet connection!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Henrun

Ribs, there are several reasons for leg cramps-dehydration, low potassium (:eat more bananas). Marj and I both experienced them after sitting on our long flight(s) back from Israel.

Having the same cold here, but quite sunny. Had a different sort of run this morning. Took the car in for servicing and ran 2 miles to the Y for yoga. Then ran another 3 miles home.

Busy weekend coming up. Theater with friends on Sat., Marj's 6 year old granddaughter's b-day party on Sun. and my DS and DIL are expecting their 1st child on Friday (a girl). Fortunately they all live close by. Running will be short and limited this weekendSmile.

Mariposai

Ribs, is that your training partner? wow...she looks terrific!!!

No run today. Getting ready to go to a meeting. Long day ahead, but at the end of the day I will see Erika!!

Twocat, are you serious? Another thread of bad weather for you guys {{{butterfly hugs to twocats}}}}

Ohh, one reason I enjoy coming to the West side of the state is that my hear gets all curly Big grin

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Thanks for the comments on my dad. I'm really looking forward to seeing him today when he's more awake.

Ribs, besides electrolytes, it could be just endurance conditioning. I've read that a lot of times people want to blame all sorts of things for cramps (and indeed, electrolyte imbalances are a major cause), but they usually show up when you're fatigued, so have a lot to do with endurance and conditioning. Get Sparetire to put in more long runs... I know I get worse cramps when I'm not in as good shape as I should be, endurance wise.

Good luck on the re-wire or upgrade, Roch. Hope it works out. Those sorts of things always make me nervous; it seems nothing works quite right afterward.

5.1 miles today in a back and forth, multi-lap, out-and-back sort of way. Ah yes, urban running at its best, with Seattle hills, traffic and pedestrians! I realized I'm right in the middle of major medical establishments here, with Virgina Mason almost right next door, Swedish Medical Center just a couple blocks away, some "Polyclinic" group, Seattle Surgery Center just across the street and Harborview Medical Center, where dad is, just a couple blocks away. I swear it takes less time to walk it than drive! This afternoon I have a staff meeting to call in to, and I think I'll just trot back here to the hotel for it, then go back and get mom.

Be sure to go vote! My DH and I did early voting a couple weeks ago because I was going to be out of town today.

Ribs - Conditioning issues, low potassium are great ideas for your son to look at.  Does he get much salt in his diet?  Is he a heavy sweater?  Does he take in enough fluids throughout the day? A combination of these could lead to cramping, as well.

My 4 miles this morning went really well, and I followed them up with about an hour of core/strength training.  Haven't done the later in about 4 weeks or so, and my middle section and arms are feeling it.

While running, I listened to an episode of a "60 Minutes" where they did an interview with and talked about a singer from the 60's named Rodriguez.  It's an incredible story, and I highly recommend taking the time to read the article in the link or download the podcast and listen to it.

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Quick fly by at lunch - 4.5 miles for me on the TM this morning.  DD asked me to wake her up early so she could run with me, and I stayed on the TM to see if she was up to it, but her TV show won out.  These days she DVRs endless episodes of Charmed and watches them before school...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

[[[erika]]]

========

...32min poolrun

........bike shopping tomorrow.

.....................good running guys......................Hide Your Toys.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

On long runs, he often gets hit with painful cramps always in the same area, the calf or soleus.  He does exercises, stretches, ART, everything, but they continue.  At the Half it got him again at ten miles and he ended up jog/walking it in. I ran back to bring him in and it was painful to see.

I'm thinking maybe this is electrolytes and there is something he could be taking, in addition to the Gatorade offered in the race. Anybody experience this or have some ideas?  Thanks, Spareribs

Old bones - according to my Ironman mentor, Gatorade should provide sufficient sodium to prevent cramps. However, though it’s not so troublesome for all-day ultras and Ironmans, the citric acid added to Gatorade for taste moderates rates of absorption of the needed sodium, etc. so maybe try fast food salt packets and plain water for the faster absorption needed in shorter, more intense, running. Cilf BArs and water provide the same benefits in longer runs.  Good luck.

ps - not that I would want to make you envious or anything like that but mariposai and erika are both in town today along with enke and francesca already being here to say nothing of dove close by, plus your Valentine goddess too (not that I would remember anything like that for any reason).  Unfortunately, I’m not.

pps - was anyone in that photo wearing a clown costume for Halloween?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)