Masters Running

Saturday May 2 Runs and Chuckles (Read 390 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Evanflein wrote:
    Ok, I know there's a part of this crowd that comes back to read the late night posts. Warning... Proud soccer mom post follows... My boys just bust my buttons!! DS2 was called in to play on the varsity team tonight. Usually, that means coach wants to fill his bench if players are out, not necessarily going to play him. He did sit the whole first half. DS1 (17 yr old jr, has played soccer--rec, comp and high school--since he was 5) started and played the whole game. He even asked to sit out at one point and coach said he needed him to stay in. He played really well, saved a ton of shots but admits the first goal the other team made was his fault (oh well). At the half, coach puts in DS2 (My baby!! 14 yr old freshman, has played soccer, rec but mostly comp and ODP, since he was 4) in next to DS1, who moves to center. They proved unstoppable, as their team proceeded to score 5 goals and the other team was unable to get past the Van Flein offense (hee!). Everyone on the stands was commenting how those two players work so well together, and have similar playing style... One of DS2's friends yelled, "Hey, they're brothers, that's why!" I was just thrilled, and almost in tears. It's a stupid high school game on a brown grass field, thousands of miles from anywhere, and it was the most important thing in the world to me. They played a great second half, DS2 doing his typical yelling and barking from the defense (his former coach said that was center-D's role, and that's what he plays on his comp team). The goalie is his friend and goalie from his comp team, and there was no way he was letting a ball get to him. DS1 continued to block amazing shots from the offense and even shot one right up to the goal which a teammate bounced in for goal #4. We ended up winning, going from down 3-1 at the half to winning 6-3 at the end. What a game! I'll take a camera tomorrow.... .
    Awesome! There’s nothing quite like the heart-thumpy feeling of watching your kids do well. 3 easy-paced miles for me today. Soccer games for both kids on tap, and in between, a trip to Cincinnati to pick up my packet at the expo. Flying Pig has a cool expo, lots of goodies and pig paraphernalia. Good luck to the racers this weekend!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

It's kewl when others comment on your kids doing well together. Maybe not if it's on an episode of "America's Most Wanted"..Then that wouldn't be so kewl.... But you could still be a little proud I guess.

SteveP

Steve! Big grin kewl indeed I loved what you said Erika about how your boys proved unstoppable. Your grin must have been amazing yesterday! 3.5 un-timed and mellow miles for me this morning. Everything is in bloom and there were lots of walkers and runners out there already. 54º at 7:45, all good. Baseball for the kiddo, then he goes to a bar mitzvah and then a friend's sleepover. All of this means I have time for gardening and some house chores. Maybe even a date with Mr. CNYrunner. Have fun tomorrow Holly!
        Mariposai

hurrayyyyyyy to Erika's boys! CoolCool. I can read your pride and your joy as I read your post this morning. Going to do some trail running today. I can't wait to be running in the wild. http://www.mvsta.com/summer/sunflower_map.pdf See you all this afternoon. go Eugene racers........gooooooooo. I can't wait to hear about MaEcono's races........she will have a huge PR...just wait and see...

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Very cool Erika! When it's all said and done what really matters are our kids and our family. Today was the 6th and last 20 miler of this training cycle. (That's more than I've ever done before in preparing for a race.) The plan called for 20 miles at 8:50 min/mile pace. But I wanted to run a Fast Finish LR to really build up the stamina and to work on all those great mental techniques y'all posted for me. So I adjusted things to run easy for 15 or so and finish strong the last 5 miles. Up and out at 4:45 AM with my GUs and Fig Newtons. I ran easy at the beginning and just let the breathing tell me how I was doing. And the miles went by. I noticed at mile 14 that I was at 9:05 pace or so. I was feeling fine due to the easy pace so I picked it up there rather than wait till 15. I ended up with 21 miles and I brought that 9:05 pace down to an 8:49 average pace. Miles 15 through 21 were run at 8:32, 8:28, 8:24, 8:17, 8:23, 8:10, and 8:12. (It always amazes me when I feel like I'm running so slowly at the end but actually are running faster than any other miles. Why is that? Does anyone else experience this?) Mission Accomplished. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Hill Runner

Good morning gang, Good luck to all the racers this weekend! 10.04 miles of hills @ 8:58 pace. We have a pond across the street with some occasional geese. Lately I've been noticing a family with 5 little ducklings waddling across to my neighbors yard to feed on something over there. BTW, my neighbors have 4 hives of honey bees...It's just the cutest thing to see these 5 little ducklings walking in a straight line between their parents....Smile Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
              Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
              Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Tramps

Neat, Erika! (and thanks, Holly, for pulling that up). Great run, Byll! You're ready to rumble! Day off for me. Had a blast yesterday working the packet pick-up table for this weekend's kids' run. Lots of excited little ones--and not so little ones. There's everything from 2-year-olds "running" the 1/4 mile race to 16-year-old track stars doing the full mile. (Last year's winner turned in a 4:45 mile). About 8 of us worked frantically non-stop the whole shift; over 3000 kids running again this year! Unfortunately, it looks like the weather may not cooperate: rain forecast.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Very kewl Erika!! Steve! Big grin Bill you rocked that run! You are SO ready for your marathon. I had a great run this morning! 6 miles - 10:17 avg. pace and each mile just a little faster than the last one ..... I can't remember the last time that my last mile was the fastest one!! Big grin We have visitors coming soon from New York to see the puppies and choose the first male. We are taking bets on which one it'll be. Have a great day!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                  It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Erika, nice! Holly, have fun in Cinti! Lilmissrosie was born there at Christ Hospital in 1988. We lived there for a school year while Ralph was working on his graduate studies. I like that place. Good luck at the Pig! Steve, Ha! Good point! Karin, Sounds like a great day planned! Yes. Go on a date. Nancy, Have a blast on your nature run! REgerbilly, Very nice. Hi Peter, we are headed your way in the middle of May. We have to take lilmissrosie to the Charlotte airport, she has an 0600 flight to Guatemala. Any hotel suggestions for the night before? Hiya Tramps! Sounds like a nice day for you, too. Do you have our weather today? We are just a bit overcast, we'd like your rain, though. The swamp is drying out too early this year. 0530 72° F a gentle breeze and 11 miles of running with a gel and water break at ~ 4 miles and negative splits and a half mile walk at the end and coffee and a lemon-poppy seed muffin and a walk around the Farmers Market and strawberries and lettuce and asparagus and and and what a great day so far.

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Hi Mary! Nice run!

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

3.8 easy miles around the neighborhood this morning Hurt by lower back last Saturday afternoon. It gets very stiff at night, took 3 days off from running this week. Ran 5.8 on Wed. it hurt bad at the start but slowly loosened & wasn't too bad at the end. Pittsburgh Half tomorrow & still lots of aches & pains Confused the easy week didn't seem to help much. At tomorrow's half I think the back will force me to start slow (maybe that will actually help) after the back loosens up, I will be good for a while. The unknown is, will the stiffness return after 10 miles or so? Still hopeful for a 1:54. Ran 1:54 at Flying Pig one year ago & I really feel in better shape this year. Ran 1:41 half in 2001 but I'm much slower now Roll eyes I wish I could borrow those last 6 miles off Bill Big grin Good luck at the "Pig" Holly Well off to Pittsburgh for the weekend (only 50 miles for me) Weather looks pretty good 50F at race time high 62 cloudy w/ very slight chance of a shower... Best Wishes to all RACERS

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Congratulations on your soccer game evanflein. Oops! That would be your son's soccer game! Big grin Nice writeup, and I know you were excited for your kids on their big day on the field. True congratulations to you all. Oh running . . . today my DW went off with the local jogging club. Sans muffins of course since I am out west! Tongue As to me, off to hike around the Oregon coast with some of my very gracious hosts. Good running all!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

King of PhotoShop

Great experience for you and the boys Erika. Happy for you. Bill, you are ready. What a fine training cycle this has been for you. Nothing for me yesterday as I was in Chicago doing a training film and on my feet all day. Today I'll go out and see how it goes with no set goal. Tomorrow I am working a water station for the Saint's half-marathon, the all women's "Heels and Hills" Is Holly running the Flying Pig this weekend? Good luck to her. Tim, I saw your other thread on speed, and if you are looking for ideas, here are two: Since you are in an area that does not have frequent fiveK races to help you assess your current fitness, why not run a simulated fiveK on the track as a time trial. If your local track is 400 meters, then warm up like you do for a race, get a drink etc. and then race at a controlled constant speed at whatever you feel your fiveK pace ought to be. This should be easier to do on a track because there are no hills and you can get constant feedback every 200 meters on how well you are sustaining the pace. I think you said your fiveK best was 19 minutes. If so, do the math and figure out your times for each 200 or 400 meters and off you go, twelve and a half times around the track. Second, you need to learn more about the physiology of training. It's one thing to experiment with your body, but over the long haul you will need better understanding about how the body becomes fitter, stronger, faster. About ten times I have posted the quote from Daniels about the disadvantages of doing work greater than VO2 max, but if you don't understand it, I might as well post it in French. So my advice is that you start reading, and there is no better book to begin with than Lydiard's "Running to the Top." He explains it all best and more importantly he did it first. Every running book after his, is some variation on his original themes. Start reading. Read Lydiard, Daws, Daniels, Pfitzinger. Read them all. That way, when someone like me tells you that your workout made no sense, you can say "Yes, I see that and chose to do it anyway," or "Yes it does because here is how I see it integrated into my overall plan." Spareribs
                              Soccer and softball today for my girls so hope there are good stories. My daughter's team is still looking for their first win. Sad For me, a nice easy 3.67 miles today at a 9:39 pace. Added 5 minutes from Thursday's 30 minutes. I'm going to just add minutes to each run slowly. After 3 months off, I'm getting reacquainted with my quadriceps. They're a little achy. Since January I've added like 60 lbs to my squats and biked and hit the elliptical but running is a whole different animal. It's a good ache though. Like the ache you get when you worked hard enough but not too hard. REALLY enjoyed these 2 runs. No pressure, no races, no training plan, just a relaxing morning run. I may run the Charles river Run (7.5 miles) at the end of June for fun. It'll just be fun to be around a large group of runners, go to an expo, put a bib on the shirt and a chip on the shoe. Won't care about time, it just feels good to be a runner again!!!!!!!!!!

Slo

Good Morning....Some great runs there and an awesome soccer match ! Around here the say; "If you ain't Dutch, you ain't much" So I changed my name to Van Schmittenhiemer and signed up for the the Dutch Days Fun Run and walk. Tulips were in full bloom. No one ran in wooden clogs but there were several people wearing them. Results: 5k 21:07 6:49 pace 34th of 256 3rd of 10 Male 40 - 44 Not bad but way off goal. I'm a betterr runner than this. My last two races were heavily influenced by wind. Today was 49 deg, just a slight breeze and sunny......Perfect conditions. Yet I'm still off my mark. Goal was to flirt with a 20 min race. Mile 1 6:30 Mile 2 13:30 Maybe I should slow that 1st mile down abit. As I type this I can't help but to think of how Tom S would include everyone he ran into and how they finished as well. I did see several people I knew and swapping our times and what not is always a good time. My niece was there for her 1st race ever and my sis-in-law who now has 2 under her belt and finished just secounds away from winning some hardware.