Masters Running

Toosday, Feb. 10 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I apologize for being MIA for the past 3-4 days. DW came down with a miserable cold on Friday, so her job over the weekend and yesterday was to hold down the couch and keep the fire in the wood stove going. I did the rest of the chores, including more snow clearing than I want to think about. Because of the snow, our office was closed yesterday, but I came in for about 4 hours, and one other person was here for 2. Since it snowed all day yesterday, I got to clear the driveway twice, and then again this morning because we got another couple of inches overnight. My new roof rake (to replace the one that broke) is supposed to be delivered today (I had to shop online because everyone local is out of stock), so I'll be putting it together and giving it a go later on.

I just had to get out for a workout this morning! It has been too long. But, even with my Yaks, it was too uneven and slick on the snow-covered roads to get any racewalking traction. So I ran just about all of the 5.6 miles I covered, and I'm sure my quads will be talking to me about that all day.

Keep smiling and have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mariposai

Keep smiling and have a great day. I love that.

What a great thread we had yesterday.  Good luck to MS 's daughter. Enjoy the journey with her. We were pretty good at letting our boys follow their hearts, but it is hard to see the boys struggle to find employment with their degree of choice, but they are happy human beings.

Last night was speed work day for me. 7 miles with 6@ tempo. Today will be running a few miles during lunch.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MS, I know what you mean about seeing other people's kids grow up over the years that we've been posting from the CR days onward. Also about taking the time off: I never had more than three weeks off at a stretch from the time I started college until I retired at 62. Looking back, I now wish I'd tried to find a way to get a longer break or two in there even if it had to be between jobs or something.

I knew my DS had matured when he finally started dressing for the actual outside conditions instead of what was "cool" to wear at the time.

Nothing very active planned for today, but a run scheduled with a friend for tomorrow morning.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Sayhey! MM#130

Good still morning everyone (hope yours is good),

henrun and marj, stay there; from what I can tell from down here, more storms on the way up north later this week.  And there is No More Room for snow.  None.  Listen to twocat!

I too liked yesterday's posts.....unless you are one of the rare few who absolutely KNOW what you want to do for work when you are 17, how do you choose?  I changed my major 3 times in college; everything looked fascinating (well, ok, physics did not.  And Geometry, also not so much.)  I'd never taken anthropology or psychology or philosophy and just wow .     Love hearing about those college trips.

And like what Mari said above and with  Steve yesterday and his most pithy observation.

OK tw, you must give up the tape/bikini story.  No fair, that tease of a reference.

Groundhog Day here--another 6 miles for me this am.  But it was under 60 out there!!  The cold is seeping south, even to Miami, I believe!

I must get a little package off to my Virginia chum; I have some garden seeds for her and they may be a welcome cheer up (thoughts of the garden!) at this particular freezing period.

Hope the DW is feeling better and that you stay healthy, Jay.

grins and warm hugs to all who need them.  Looking forward to warmer times in Michigan in June!  Snow will melt, it will it will.

A.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

TammyinGP

Is TW trying to wax his bikini area with KT tape?

I'm scheduled for 4 miles today which will have to take place over the lunch hour because right from work, i'm attending David's basketball game, then working concessions during the game after that, so will be at the school until probably 8:30 tonight. oh, i'm going to collapse tonight!

Tammy

At one point, I wanted to be a journalist, but that didn't last more than the two years I spent on the community college newspaper.  I'm very happy I didn't go on to a 4-year university to study something that now I know I never would have really enjoyed.  I like writing, but writing for one's own happiness and writing for a newspaper are two different things.  And Steve is right - as long as you're happy doing what you're doing - whether it's flipping burgers, delivering windows, or trying to cure cancer - as long as you're happy, you're a success.

Holly - The McKay Tract is a well maintained logging road on private land here in Eureka.  After more than 2 years of trespassing on a weekly basis, I finally got legit and got a pass a week or so ago.   Anyway, it's pretty benign, so it's where I go to work on my "keeping a steady pace" or do my recovery runs after a Saturday LR.  The other plus is there are various places where you can veer off the beaten path onto abandoned logging roads and turn your run into a solid trail workout, complete with as much climbing as you want to throw in.

6 EZ miles this a.m. that felt good the entire way, even on the inclines.  I don't have those types of runs often, so I revel in them when they do happen.

Okay - Gotta buckle down and get a lot done today.  Have a good one ~

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

mrrun

aamos - we'd love to stay, but unless usair gives us free exchange, we're heading back to the frozen tundra tomorrow.

last hour run in shorts for a loooong time!

have a wondrous day!

marj

Marathon Maniac #957

My DS is unsure of what he wants to do as well.  He does well in his math and science classes and has a very curious mind - another Mythbusters fanatic, but also likes the humanities.  One reason I am hoping he chooses University of Cincinnati is the great variety of internships available there, which will give him hands-on experience that may be of help in clarifying his interests.

4.2 miles for me this morning on the TM, Body Blast class after work.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

This discussion has been very interesting.  I hope the "filly" finds her way.

I have been for several years (at least 15) beating myself up for not following a practical route towards employment.  I did what I loved, regardless of job opportunities.  Even though I was disappointed things didn't turn out the way I wanted with employment, I always thought my ex would have my back.  Now he is gone (his unilateral, sudden decision) and I am facing unemployment in the near future.  To say this stresses me out is the understatement of the year.  If I knew I could secure a job, any job.....even if tedious, I'd be a pretty happy camper.

So I spend half my days telling my kids to follow paths that are guaranteed to insure their future employment.  But really, it's a balance that they and all of us must strike.  But I do think about their individual personalities, and their particular academic strengths, and try to suggest good occupations for them.

Yeah, I'm not settling, but the pickings sure are slim out there!  Trust me....  when someone that I thought I'd be settling for dumps me.....  No, I know, it just wasn't the right one.

I have a crush on someone at work, but not sure how to flirt without everyone knowing....I think he got word that I am single as he has been checking me out lately.

Good news - I sprinted for the bus today, and no knee pain!  First time in 2 or 3 months.  Might try a run tomorrow!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

Yesterday in David's science class they were doing a fun, little creative exercise. not sure how this related to science but the teacher wanted them to write out some answers to usual questions but be creative and off beat. . .

one question was "what would you like to do when you graduate".

David's answer: "I want to help people suffering from cranial-rectal-inversion"  

another question: what do you most enjoy about school?

David's answer: "i'm only here so I don't get fined"  

Tammy

mustang sally

Bad faerie

We went to see UOttawa today and I saw the girl light up... I hope she gets an offer from them, as it seems to be a very good fit for her.  She wants to study international development and is very excited about the prospect of being close to the heart of the federal action.

And, thank goodness, it isn't too horrifically cold today so there was no squawking over coats etc.  The city is at its very best today, bright, sunny, white snow, and all shiny and pretty.  We head home now, her to Victoria, and me back to Michigan.

I had to move three time zones to find someone who'd go out with me.  If that hadn't worked out, I was resigned to being single for the rest of my days.

No running, just another 13,000 steps of walking everywhere, according to my phone.

Dave59

Ran an easy 3 on the gym treadmill.  Just enough to get a good sweat going and feel like I did something.

I was going to be an actuary but stumbled on computer programming along the way.  It has worked out pretty good for the most part.

But I am thinking of a change.  I was out at Bennigan's for lunch on Sunday with Cindy and DD2 (visiting from Chicago on her birthday) and they had Master's Professional Bowling on TV.  These guys make a lot of money and all you have to do is roll a ball down the floor and knock some stuff over at the end.  Looks like a breeze.  I told Cindy I was going to quit and pursue that full time. I don't think she believed me, but when the prize money starts rolling in I think she will be happy.

The worst team in hockey, my hometown Buffalo Sabres, hosts Ottawa tonight.  (That was just a random fact that popped into my head after reading about the visit to the University of Ottawa.)

Marathon Maniac #957

Tammy - 

Dave - I say go for it!  

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Yesterday in David's science class they were doing a fun, little creative exercise. not sure how this related to science but the teacher wanted them to write out some answers to usual questions but be creative and off beat. . .

one question was "what would you like to do when you graduate".

David's answer: "I want to help people suffering from cranial-rectal-inversion"  

another question: what do you most enjoy about school?

David's answer: "i'm only here so I don't get fined"  

Hahaaa!  Good job!!

Dave - Look at it this way - if a professional bowling career doesn't pan out, you can always fall back on the computer programming.  Reach for the Stars!!  Or the bowling pins . . .

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I would report my run but I bagged it.  Last night and this morning the arch under my foot was a bit sore.  I figured better a day off than a week off in pain.

As to college and majors . . . I may get in trouble here but I suspect too many people are encouraged to go to college.  There are any number of rewarding (financial and otherwise) that do not require a college education.  What I would say is no matter what get a business education, not necessarily a degree.  If you craft is say electronics, with enough of an education in business you can start your own shop and potentially do really, really well.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/