Masters Running

First Full Fall Saturday, 9.22.12 (Read 372 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' all.

TwoCat, our regional racewalker's club charges a $10 annual membership fee, which is payable by all except those those volunteer or serve as race directors at major events. There are rarely any complaints, probably because $10 is hardly worth arguing over.

Mariposai, I am also exhausted from reading your plans for this weekend! Have a blast.

"Good luck pfrieze!  What a stud!1+

3.25 easy racewalking miles at 4:30 this morning. I was surprised to find that it was misting out, but it was warm enough (55) that it was refreshing. Saw another skunk this morning, running away with it's tail high in the air. I didn't pursue... I also caught up with the local newspaper delivery guy as he was pulled over, folding papers. We had a nice chat before I went on my way. He passed me several times, and again as I got to our driveway, where he handed me a copy of today's Wall Street Journal (we don't subscribe to it - he was being nice and giving me a freebie).

Enjoy your day today, racing or not!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Don't remind me of the season, Jay -- it's really carpy outside and will be that way all weekend. Some friends are having a bike ride and outdoor bbq tomorrow. I hope we're able to do some of it at least.

Happy Birthday to Bilbo and Frodo Baggins. And I think they have a movie coming up in a few months...

Due to the aforementioned carpy weather, I'm on my way to the rec center to do a few laps in the pool. I'm not tired or sore from my LR yesterday, but a day off that type of exercise is probably prudent.

Have a good one, folks!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

King of PhotoShop

No run today, race tomorrow.  Took Lucy von Sheltie for a walk instead.

How about that smokin' Esther?  I'll let her tell you.

The scientest Nicola Tesla was:  German, Italian, Serbic or Russian?  Which?

Spareribs

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Serbian. I do not know the person but, I am almost positive that the name is Serbian.

unknown temp and humidity

14.56 miles. Not in shape to run this. My faster friend wanted to run with me because she needs to run slowly as she is training for an ultra. I guess that is a complement of some sort.

Best part of the morning was breakfast at Aroma's after the run. My friend and I shared a bowl of poached eggs and grits. Delicious.

Other best part of the morning?

Little Miss Rosie Rocket Scientist came home last night so she could go run the Mulberry Island Half Marathon with her dear old Auntie. ("Sister Rose").  I get text messages from both women. LMRRS states, "I won my age group!"  Sister Rose states, "I am happy with 1:56 but just 4th in my age group"

I am so proud of the fast and strong women in my family.

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

Mariposai

Good luck to the little miss rocket scientist and the rocket scietist

Jay, good job in not pursuing the skunk. I saw 6 rabbits and 2 rattlers today during my run.

I got up later than I had anticipated so I felt rushed during the duration of my run. Having all the people in my house makes me feel that I need to be here, but I know best. Our frieds Drs. J and G. are like closer than a brother and a sister to us, so they are at home. And my sons are old enough to take care of their friends (mother tough them well in that area). Anyway, 9 miles under  much, much, much better air conditions.

Time to get ready for the wedding. It is going to be at a lake, for which I am thankful because that means the rest of the day breathing almost clean air. 

I hope Bregarcito is having fun in Barcelona.

Go racers go!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Hi all!

Henry, I'd have jumped in on Ribs' question if I'd been on-line yesterday.

And yes, I agree with RCG..... I think Tesla was Serb.

Congrats to LMRRS and Sister Rosie!

Glad your air is finally getting better, Posie.

Cut my trail LR short this morning, despite the conditions being IRC.  Nothing was particularly wrong, but after chasing the guys around for almost 9 miles I felt I'd had enough.  Could have something to do with trying to keep up with the young thing from work yesterday for 5 miles.  She'd won our 5K last year in 19 minutes flat and wanted to come with me to measure out this year's version.  Somehow I didn't get much sympathy for the "be nice to me, I'm old enough to be your mother" line.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

evanflein

No skunks here, thank goodness. Good job avoiding that one, Jay.

Have fun Mariposai! Yes, the guests will be fine while you take care of what you need to do. Glad the air cleared up.

Our running club membership is $21 a year and that's just the way it is. Don't wanna pay? Don't join.

^5 to Lil Miss Rosie RS and her auntie! She is a speedy grrl. And Rose, I know zilch about football and like Holly not great at most of the trivia stuff around here. I did know Canada as the trading partner, though.

Holly, guess what! It was 59° this morning and breezy when we got up, and we could get up to almost 70 today! September is a time of ups and downs for us, weather-wise, as we head into winter.

I have been telling folks I couldn't enter Boston even if I wanted to because I didn't have a qualifying time. For some reason, I had it in my head that you had to have run the qualifying race in 2012 for 2013. Ha! I just realized it's a race after 9-24-11, and I ran Dallas White Rock last December in 3:45! Hmmmm...  Nope... must. not. go. there....

I've taken it real easy this week and feel pretty much fully recovered. In fact, I feel about ready for another marathon. Too bad the only one is the Kenai marathon tomorrow and the weather is awful down there. In fact, parts of the railroad and Parks Hwy are washed out. Train traffic halted for the weekend, and the highway is down to one lane by Denali Park. So.... not going anywhere.

Sunday was 2.5 recover miles with Holly, Monday was 4.6 easy miles at lunch, Tuesday was 6.1 pretty easy miles with Kevin (EquinoxMarathon43, Denise's friend) after work and Wednesday and Thursday were "off" because of work travel and crappy weather. DH and I did go to the gym at lunch on Thursday but didn't last long, neither one of us were inspired to do much. Yesterday I ran 5.6 miles @ 8:05 avg pace and felt great. 

Today will be yard/garden cleanup and a short run down my road. Nice to not be training for anything so I can spend more time on other stuff. But I know pretty soon I'll want some structure or goal or something to work with. Aimless running is good for awhile, but gets old quickly.

85 and sunny for my 5k XC race and I've been wanting to run a cross country race for a long time.  We did 3 laps on the grass at the race horse track.  I felt good all the way and had been running just behind a guy who looked to be 47 or 48. In the last lap, I pulled up beside him and asked if he was 50. He looked at me, surprised, and said yes. "Shit!" I said. We leapfrogged each other until the straightaway where he was ahead of me again and I thought he was going to win. Just before the finish chute, I felt a surge come over me out of nowhere and took him! It's a good thing, too, because at the awards ceremony, only the AG winners were recognized and I was one of them! Got a nice pair of warmup pants.

A couple of things I noticed about my body: during the first lap, other runners were already breathing twice as fast as me when I passed them. My knees came up high instinctively and gave me power because you couldn't get any pushoff in the tall grass. I loved that feeling instead of the slow run shuffle.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

evanflein

Tesla was a Croatian-born Serb....but actually neither country existed at the time, it was part of the Austro-Hungarian empire. But Tesla considered himself American. Says my spouse. Joking

Waiting for Holly's race report... here's a picture DH took from above our house last week. Not part of the Equinox course, but similar.

Here's Holly and me before the start of the race.

And here's where we start up the ski hill, which just the week before was a muddy pit from work being done on the campus utilidors.

We started off on the right side, ran across the "field" and up the hill, through that narrow opening in the fence and up the hill to the left, turn right after the trees and climb up to the road and away we go!  Ok, Holly, where's the rest?

Tesla who?

Speedy Opie, taking out the competition!

I woke up to rain, first time in oh, like 3 months.  It was a bit perplexing, like what do I do now?  Right, get the rain jacket out.  But at 55F, too warm for that.  It stopped by the time I went out anyway.  Too much breakfast beforehand, felt kind of sluggish.  6.2 miles.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

coastwalker I will say $10 per annum sounds like a very good deal!  For my local club, I would not object to going from bi-annual begging (the immediate prior policy) to an annual mandatory membership fee even as high as the $50 that was just imposed (however only if it is for all members not just new ones as it is now) if the club first tried another way to collect voluntary donations.

evanflein what a view from the top!  Just stunning with the trees in color.

My final no running day is today.  The ankle still feels good.  I am thinking about going out for 10 miles tomorrow.  I did go to the running club.  I do not want others subsidizing me.  At the same time I do not want to partake of the new policy's administration so I resigned from my various roles.  I suspect that will not induce any reconsideration of the "new members owe $50/year and the old ones nothing" but at least I will feel that my hands are clean.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

Found another picture to post! Holly and me after our recovery run, checking out my garden...

Twocat, $50 a year? that's a lot, and not right to only charge the new folks. Sounds like a way to close the club to new runners.

RCG, congrats to LMRS and sister Rose in their half.  opie, nice taking out the competition at the end to get the AG win.  evan, nice pictures of your race with holly.

Nice long runs for mtnchk, roch (longest in 1.5 years), and RCG.

This morning, it was in the high 40s and there was some wind.  I got in 7 miles at a 10:43 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

pfriese

Wtg, Opie.

Denver Half Marathon this morning, Garmin time 2:08:17. Very nice race and had a nice meet-up with Lori on the light-rail to the start.

Paul

MTA: Congrats to Orangemat too.

King of PhotoShop

Nice going Opie.

Beautiful pictures Ek.

Congrats to Bridget.  Hey Burly, did you ever post the answers to your MNF quiz? I missed it.

Go Serbia!  Spareribs