Masters Running

40's on the Run - Spring begins? (week of 3/16/08) (Read 394 times)

flatland mountaineer

6.66 miles 30 deg F with a 20 mph se wind pumping moisture up from the gulf light snow/freezing rain. I almost bagged it but put on my heavy coat and walked out to the road and found it mostly dry as the couple inches of snow last night blew off, so dressed to run and headed out. Really not that bad out with the wind and probably didn't need my long sleeve tee under my softshell. Run went fine, really suprised to see I ran a 10:13 pace, amazing what a 20mph tailwind can do. DW picked me up and I was chilled by the time we got home, my clothes were soaked. Winter storm watch tonight, Let it snow!! Big grin Have a great week forties folks!!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

I ran a 10:13 pace, amazing what a 20mph tailwind can do.
      Kinda just pushes you right along, huh? http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=2828299 An interesting article about a guy named Charlie Engle, a recovering drug addict and alcoholic, who, with 2 friends, spent 111 days running over 4,300 miles across the Sahara Desert. 45-50 miles per day running. Dang! BTB - You're up to the challenge, aren'tcha?? Wink Later, All!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Kelly - I read your post on last week's thread. Congratulations! Great run! And kudos to the SO for giving you such a great bday.

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Thank you but the partying isn't over yet! I have a feeling this weekend will be a little more something with my family combining it with getting together for Easter-I reallly just want more birthday cake! Big grin I'm feeling a little tired today but of course when I go to bed at 11:30pm and get up at 5:40am for work I should be! I've got a 24 miler planned for my long run this week-my big goal is to get more sleep this week. Don't you have a race coming up Leslie? R2-how's the wind? Isn't it fun when you can't move fast enough to keep up with it? I run through some open field areas here that when the wind gets cranking it takes your breathe away. Take care, Kelly
          If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

jfa

Hi Kiddos- Busy weekend for me being on the other end of the Bday thing.DW's b-day on Fri.Got the kids together and out to dinner.Ended up having a real nice time. R2-Really good to hear that you are running strong.The warm weather will get there soon. Kelly-Happy Bday to you too! Leslie -how's the hip problem going? I am on the bench.Yep,injury time-out.First one since starting this running thing over 10 months ago.The knee feels fine while walking,stairs ,etc.No swelling or soreness except while running.Took only one run in the past 4 days,that was yesterday.Felt fine until mile#4 when I get the minor pain in my right knee.From reading up on it,I would say either ITBS or tendonitis is the culprit.Very discouraging but I'm keeping the chin up.Going to give it about 4-5 days rest,then see what happens. Sad Happy St Pat's to all you Irish folks!

Happy St. Patty's Day, Everyone! Joe - The best way to figure out if your IT band is involved is to see a sports massage therapist. I didn't know that mine was messed up until I went to one last week. When she started massaging that, I just about went through the roof. Besides my tight hamstrings, she said that a tight IT band will also cause the problems I have with my hip flexor, as well as quite possibly my knee problem. She showed me some really good stretches, and I'm also using a foam roller in the evenings to massage that area and try to loosen it up. In reading up on the IT band, one of the contributors to a problem is when a runner runs on a sloaped road and never switches sides. That is, the same leg is always at the low end of the slope. The body stays tilted in that generally direction for all runs. It was recommended to frequently switch sides of the road which, for me, most times would mean running with the traffic as opposed to against it. If I leave early enough in the a.m., however, I can spend most of my run down the middle of the lane. Hope some of that helps. My problems are still there, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that with all my stretching and one more good massage on Thursday, I won't have any problems come Saturday. Kelly - Yup, we have the 30k Pirates Cove Trail Run this Saturday http://www.pctrailruns.com/Pirates_Cove.htm. It's a beautiful course, and was my first competitive trail run just one short year ago. How time flies! Wendell and Sarah, who run PCTR, have the best aid stations. Everything you could possibly want. We carry little baggies with us to throw goodies in so we can munch on the go. At the very start, it's a bugger of a hill and stairs for about the first 1/2 mile or so, and right after the first aid station, it's a 1-mile uphill climb that never seems to end. Hopefully the fog won't be too bad this year, as there was a long section last year where you could hardly see 10-15 feet in front of you. You could hear the other runners, but you couldn't see anyone. It's taper week, so a short 3 miles this morning - First and last miles slow and easy, second mile at race pace. Finished in 33:28 with an average 10:53 and a best pace of 6:22. The last must've been on that nice downhill stretch! Big grin

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Joe: Here's the info I found: http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/itband.v2.html "Some runners make the mistake of only running on one side of the road. Most roads are higher in the center and slope off on either side. The foot that is on the outside part of the road is therefore lower than the other. This causes the pelvis to tilt to one side and stresses the IT band." At the link I provided, there's a stretch they show where you stand at a counter, extend one leg behind and across your body and squat in the other leg. I may have been doing it wrong, but it felt like my knees were being really stressed. Might help.

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Leslie- Good Luck with your trail run! Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Thanks for the info on ITBS.I will try those stretches.Running on a sloped surface is not my problem tho.I vary my surfaces and although it's mostly asphalt,I rarely run on roads.I am hoping a little rest and stretching will help.I am also going to try new shoes.Thanks again.

Hi All, Still cold here in New England, but there's a rumor that Spring is coming. I'm usually in shorts starting in March, but pants are still required this year. 5 chilly miles along the Charles today with a north wind. Joe, along with stretches for the ITB, work hard on the quads. That helped me a few years back when I went through this, at the advice of a PT. The best exercise I found for the quads is to put a treadmill on the highest incline, set the speed at about 2.5 to 3mph, and jog backwards for sets of two minutes each. It's a lot tougher than it sounds. Good luck.
                      Good Monday to you all... Between my 5 miles on Sat., then painting for 6 hrs., then the following day painting for another 5 hrs., then sitting on a plastic chair for 3 hrs. (not good on the lower back) watching NASCAR with some friends, then a 4 miler this afternoon I'm really feeling my age. Knee feels a tad funky and the lower back feels a tad funky. I think I will take a couple of days of rest myself. I'm beat! My husband planted 30 plants outside yesterday. 28 plants and 2 palms. Yep, I counted. He woke up this morning, put his hands behind his back and said, "man, my butt cheeks are sore"! Too funny....so here we both were rubbing out our lower back/buttocks trying to work the kinks out. Leslie, glad to hear you get to taper this week. Couldn't have come at a better time with your hip flexor problem. Good luck this weekend! Yabba, nice to hear from you again. Still getting in those miles I see. Kelly, sounds as though you had a great B-Day! Great race report as well. What a fantastic pace you held for a half. Congrats! r2...gotta love those tail winds! Way to go on the 6 plus mile run at a great pace. joe....hope the rest days will get you back out there before you know it. The bursitis in my knee is an onging thing. Never really goes away, I just know how to manage it alot better than before. It's basically the same as tendonitis, one is just inflammation of the bursa and the other is inflammation of the tendons. Duh! I always ice after my long runs and pop a couple of prescribed meds after them as well. That is the only way I have been able to continue running without going in for a cortizone shot. Have a good evening all.....Jewels
                      But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                        That is the only way I have been able to continue running without going in for a cortizone shot.
                        Ack! I've had a couple of those in my wrist over the years. Holy Mother of All Things Painful! Ooh - now I could actually run away!

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Good Morning! Not too cold this a.m., but a very low, thick fog. I ran sans iPOD and got to listen to the geese flying overhead. They were really low due to the fog, but I still couldn't see them. Once in awhile I'd hear a lone honking in what seemed confused uncertainty, then suddenly he'd find a group and his whole tone would change. Substituted a tempo run in the middle of my 3 miles instead of strides to avoid overworking my ham/flexor. Did 3 in 32:50 for a 10:51 pace. Felt good. It's just so nice having short runs these last two mornings. I even got to sleep in a little bit. Faucet broke on our kitchen sink, so hub worked his butt off this a.m. trying to get it off. I met him at his work (building supply center) to pick out a new faucet. Wouldn't you know it, the only one we liked - out of stock. Figures. I may have to wash dishes in the bathtub for a few days. That should be fun! Later!

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Greetings 40's Folks! Hope everyone is Spring Transitioning well..... Nice progress R2 Smile {{{{Joe!!}}} drats!! Leslie: there's an article about C. Engle in the new Runner's World too...I haven't finished it yet....like most of my reading these days! Roll eyes hope you get your sink fixed soon....I'm still doing my dishes by hand as my dishwasher has gremlins...same as my 29 yr old stove, 23 yr old washing machine....I'm gonna bulldoze this place an start over any minute now Evil grin maybe I should just "run away from home!" Wink I did get to "run" the St Patty's7K on Sunday...despite DH accepting an invitation to go over to friends' house for "non running type food" (I'm trying non-alcoholic beer these days) & T.P. (I suck cause I don't watch enough TV!) the eve before, & it seems I've come down w/a bit of a chest cold, & life being what it is, I'm not getting enough runs in..('nuff whinin'!)....Not sure how to take this though - input please: event info says: "certified course/7k chip timed..now, mind you, my only intent w/this "race" was purely experiential ~ just to "run the thing" as I haven't even been running a year yet!....however - "Garmin says course a bit long - 4.37 miles - & I forgot to stop the timer right when I crossed the finish (aarrgghh! always!!) so I stopped it @ 44:52:12 after spacing it off for a good 3-5 minutes!~ I had to wade through lotsa people to get to the race folks who removed my chip & tossed it into a bucket, then I'd waded my way to the water table, drank one & then located DH BEFORE I remembered to hit stop!! at least I'd remembered to start it right @ the gate..Anyways, so I went online to see what the chip said my time was & it had 45:03.2!! Confused not that it's a big deal, but is this normal? Other things I learned: well, the last 5K, I started too far back in the pack & had to spend the 1st mile hurdling/dodging walkers....so this one, I started a bit too far fwd & kept trying to run w/the leaders! Shocked my 1st mile+ @ avg 8:56pc sooo, had to walk on the 1st hill....& the 2nd, cause I did it again! Took a 3rd walk break (yep, I did it again!) (Garmin said I had a brief under 7 time...& couldn't breathe!) & my guess is that I should have had around a 40 min 7K...not bad, all things considered...& I got to learn a few things... like the feeling of being passed by roughly 2,000 people wearing various green costumes.....I really liked the shirt that said "Chase Me! I'm Irish" Cool before heading to the free beer tent! (I only had one small cup - after 24 oz of water & 12 oz of good quality coffee & later 2 16oz bottles of "organic" green tea).... I didn't take Mairead, but found out I could've, so I'll list it for next year....My DH bonded w/the beer man whilst their wives were running, so I guess we'll see them @ the Cherry Creek Sneak in May....Lotsa creative costumes in the crowd! Big grin I had on my Guinness pajama pants & lime green ball cap.....& since it was only 7K & Sunday is supposed to be my long run, I did another slow 5.25 miles w/both big dogs later in the afternoon.... minorly achey today...... Ciao!
                            Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                              Way to go, Chick! I don't know what's a "good time" or "bad time" with regard to distances. I figure as long as you finished standing and you enjoyed yourself - it was a good time! Pics?? Did you take any pics? If not, remember to take your camera next year. Would've especially loved to have seen you in your PJs. Smile

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Way to go Cindy.....nice race/pace. Getting caught up in the front or back with 2000 people is crazy. Makes for a fun race with that many people, especially seeing all that green. You did awesome and you haven't been running that long either. Woot, woot! No running to report here....just taking it easy for a couple of days. I have Friday off so.....a run looks doable in the a.m. and than back to moms to FINISH painting. Have a great HUMP day all.......Jewels
                                But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee