Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 5.8.14 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Another quick walk-by this morning:

Last night's Planning Board meeting was fascinating (if you're into that sort of thing), but I didn't get home till 10:30, so getting up at 4 for a workout was not going to happen (although I did wake up at 4:02, but then resumed snoring after feeding the cat). Today, I have a race committee meeting for our Fall 5K, and another meeting to discuss the new FEMA Floodplain maps for our town. I'm also working on a design for our race shirts, and for a sign we'll be posting at the demonstration rain garden we're installing on the 17th. Tomorrow, we pick up the rain barrels that have been painted by local 8th graders, and take them to an auto body shop to be seal-coated so the paint won't fade/chip. We'll be holding a silent auction for them, also on the 17th.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

'mornin' everyone!

Love the rain barrel auction idea, Jay.  Gosh your days are jam-packed!  (Jam is good .  Say, why can't one just use jam instead of GU?)

Aw, thought there was going to be a meet-up in Minnesota, shucks!  HAppy shopping for the bike, Starr, and have fun with the A team there, Mike (love those girl names starting with A).

OK then, Tag, glad to hear you're good.

Karin, that bikepath, the one that is in Florence, goes behind Cooper's??  Sounds like a fun run; do they still do the one where you have to predict your finish time and the person coming closest, wins?

Altitude always gives me a hard time.  Never ever ran a sub 3:30 marathon in Colorado, and that's when I was living at over 3000 feet.

First time at Lakes Park this am!  Very slow 6 miles as I run with the running club tonight and they're speedy (they call themselves the Speedsters.)   We have pinkish sunrises often here, and today was one of them.   I love the timing, if I get it right, of running into the park in the glow of dawn, then being able to spot more and more birds as the light increases.

Love Thursdays!  (...except tonight have to convince DH I "need" to go to Duluth next month to run Grandma's ).

Hoping for a note from home from Ribs today....

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Mariposai

Spareribs is going home today!!!! 

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Love the rain barrel auction idea, Jay.  Gosh your days are jam-packed!  (

I agree to both of these sentiments...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Spareribs is going home today!!!! 

YIPPEE!!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Oh, my run....5 miles for me this morning in 61 degrees.  Legs feel good, if still lacking in energy a bit.

From Ribs' FB Page:

Day 10 update: ten is the charm huh? But it's official. I go home today.

I'm sorry to all for these daily updates but FB is still the best way to keep a lot of people informed.

And thanks to all of you whose good wishes, jokes and encouragement helped me along.

Lost in all of these complications is the pathology report. This was an aggressive cancer, over 20% of the prostate. They got it all, no margins or nerve damage. I am one very lucky man.

And speaking of lucky, I could never have done this without my wife Louise. (I love you.)

Jay - That rain garden sounds wonderful.  And I love the idea of the rain barrels.  Do you ship???

Starr - I have had a coach, in one form or another, almost since I started running.  Thankfully, two of them were/have been willing to coach me for next to nothing.  The third was a few months' gift two years ago when I was preparing for Mt. Hood 50.  Coach Gary, who I have now, is a very knowledgeable runner, but I'm his first (and maybe his last!) client, so I'm sort of his guinea pig - which is fine by  me since he only charges me $50 a month.  Most folks charges $100+ per month, which I could never afford.

50 min of core/UB strength training for me this a.m. whilst watching "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit."  Tomorrow I start my last B2B2B before Memorial Day Weekend, and will hit my first 50-mile week in a very long time.   . . . . or    It all depends on how the next three days go.

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Spareribs has posted he is coming home.  Then tomorrow for what looks to be a walk.  Pretty incredible that after all that you can go out and take a walk the next day.

coastwalker you should become an academic administrator.  You would just LOVE all of the meetings they have!  

fatozzig you should make Goofy run with you as punishment!  

C-R my now long deceased cat used to play with the blankets in the morning by seeing if he could pierce through to my toes.  Maybe if I had an extra blanket to hit him with it would have discouraged this "game."    Sigh, I do miss the little guy.

AamosY seeing a bald eagle during a run must be so cool!  The most exciting thing I saw last year was a turtle that thought the middle of the road was good place to catch some rays.  

henrun not a bad recovery run for jet lag.

wildchild I think you are some sort of anaerobic alien life form.  Most humans like oxygen.  It helps us burn fuel.  

az2mntrail welcome to the forum!  I guess you appeared during one of my trips away.  I am not sure where you are located, but your weather seems to have hit CT today.

CNYrunner ya, ya, not mastered it. . . let me translate this for everybody, "only have the record time by 58 seconds, looking to get a full minute."  Nobody with your dedication and speed can really claim to have not mastered a course!

StarrRuns there is a program called SportsTracks you might consider for your PC.  Great log book.  Works seamlessly with your Garmin. It has a zillion plug ins, including one that helps program workouts and send them to your Garmin.  Although that last one can be a little quirky and is not, in the end, all that much better than the one in TrainingCenter.  It is free to check out the web page, browse the plug ins and see what you think.

SteveP good to hear?  Or should that be bad to hear?  Or . . . I am so confused!    If Tag is fine then that is good to hear!

Busy morning.  Up at 4am.  Got ready and drove my DW off for some minor surgery.  Nothing serious, just a first thing in the morning event in NYC (read not next door).  We got back by 11.  She is collapsed.  I feel like I should do the same, but I do not have her excuse to not do any work.  If my legs feel 100% tomorrow I may give the elliptical a try.  Other than that some gym work.  Then Saturday it will be time to try out running again!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

TammyinGP

Glad to hear your wife's minor surgery went well, TwoCat. Although hearing that someone "is collapsed" after surgery, is not always a good thing. Exhausted maybe? 

went to the track last night. First run post-half marathon. Legs were filled with lead for the first mile, but then each mile got progressively faster. 4 in total. started at a 9:34, ended on an 8:56.

Aamos, have you run Grandma's before? I really enjoyed that marathon alot. it's the first one that I ran as a point-to-point and I really liked that the first half was relatively quiet, as far as spectators go. I tend to go on sensory overload and exhaustion if races are full of cheering people the whole way (like rock-n-rolls, which I won't do again), but G'ma's was great because you'd have a few people out cheering for the 1st half, just enough to give you a little lift, and then you had more crowds out as you got into Duluth and that made the last 10 miles or so go by quicker and gave me more energy when I needed it. Such a fun race. . . provided weather is good, which can really be a crapshoot in MN! lol

okay, gotta work. Only working til noon tomorrow because the boss wants to close up early and go have fun so it's a bowling day. gosh, i love where i work 

Tammy

Sayhey! MM#130

coastwalker you should become an academic administrator.  You would just LOVE all of the meetings they have!  

CNYrunner ya, ya, not mastered it. . . let me translate this for everybody, "only have the record time by 58 seconds, looking to get a full minute."  Nobody with your dedication and speed can really claim to have not mastered a course!

SteveP good to hear?  Or should that be bad to hear?  Or . . . I am so confused!    If Tag is fine then that is good to hear!

1. I like Jay coast walker too much to wish academe on hmi, but this was giggle-worthy.  (I hate meetings and maintain I have attended beyond the beyond's worth of my share after a lifetime in human/public services.)

2. LOL.  That is so our CNY.  In every good way.

3. Steve professes not to  "get"  Tag, so when he says Tag is his "abnormal self," that means our Taggie is just doggone fine.

Tammy, impressive run so soon after your race.  It does feel good to get out there and have your legs start to come back.  Yours certainly did; a sub 9 at the end.  I don't think I had a single one of those this morning.  Thanks for the Grandma's support.  Yes, I ran it back in 04, 10 years ago, and I believe it was Rob Economy's first marathon.  We met each other there, a hoot, as we were both wearing about the same outfit, race ready shorts and shirts.   Who knew he'd go on to become such a star??   I so agree with everything you wrote about it, too.   Beautiful course.  It was only my 4th marathon, and I'd like to revisit it, plus my running buddy from Rapid City is there now, started her family with 2 boys and is getting back to distances now.  She's doing the half and I can stay with her, so it's just the plane fare. [working on argument to DH there ]   Remember the pickle lady out there in the 20s somewhere?? I hope she's still there.   Best to David!

Oh, and and speaking of Minnesota, a2z is also from there--we have a growing contingent in the Lakes State.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

C-R

Well I'm not from MN but have visited there ---- in the summer thankfully.

Good news on Ribs.

tc - you reminded me of our first Collie. He loved to take your gloves and have you chase him. I kept extra pairs hidden everywhere so we could spontaneously play his game. He is missed.

Recovery run today. Legs still feeling tired. 10k a day is still in tact.

Watched the Pacers game last night with my BIL. He's a huge basketball fan. Me not so much but hey its the playoffs. Got the tickets from a good friend who is out of town. Didn't look at the stubs until we got to the entrance. 7th row mid court. Wow! And those NBA players are huge. Not like us runners/golfers. What a time and my BIL made it into the frame of the SportCenter highlight.

Back at it.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Hi everyone!  Happy Thursday!

Decided on rest day today .........although a short recovery run 4-6 miles would be great ......but I know I will feel it this evening at our weekly ballroom dance social.  I don't like sitting more than dancing to polish our latest steps.  We are taking dancing lessons too.  You think I learned by now NOT to go for a run on dance nights but I think of those times when I wished I had ONE more day to run.  Anyway, I will make it up tomorrow.  We've been having 45-65 degree temps here in northern MN but the humidity has been pretty high, been overcast, it's the rainy season.

StarrRuns:  I live near Lake Bemidji State Park.  The big TRAIL race around here is the Walker North Country FM/HM in September.  The big ROAD race here is the Blue Ox FM/HM in October.  I was planning on running both events last year but last minute business travel had me on the plane to NM/CO/CA before the events.  So I tend to keep an eye out for events with 'on-site' or same day registration.

Twocat:   DH and I moved to northern MN about 2 yrs ago (work related, closer to North Dakota for DH's aging parents ) from Flagstaff, AZ (7,000+ ft.)  I'm from northern NM so I get the high altitude ..........and love it, I miss the mountains of AZ/NM/CO.  We lived in Denver for a few yrs too.  Glad DW did well from minor surgery.  My DH is going in for his annual checkup from his heart attack (Jan 2012) on Mon, he's been short of breath again so Doc thinks DH may need another stent ...... will see how his tests turn out first.  Scary!

Aamos:  It's 'only' about a 5 hr  3 hr drive from here to Duluth.  Being new to the midwest, I hope to run in some events, small and large, such as Grandma's, as part of exploring the areas before we move back to AZ for 'retirement.'  Not too lucky when it come to entering events by lottery though , also my schedule is always changing (read above).  In fact, I will be returning from NM/AZ the day before so not gonna happen this year.

Tammy:  I'm with you on the cheering crowds; guess it must the the trail runner in me which prefers the solitude.

fatozzig:  I'm addicted to Law & Order: SVU and the others as well.  I loved watching any episodes while working out indoors and on my health rider.  Been cheering on the SPURS lately, GO SPURS GO!!  Always been a fan even before I attended college, lived, worked in San Antonio, TX last century, LOL!

Evening kids!

Excellent news about Ribs and going home! Hurray!

Snork Aamos and Twocat! I actually do still own a college running record---for the 880! Ha! Only because they run the 800 meters now and I was one of the last to run the 880 in competition.   Thanks for the props though. Lots of speedy folks at this weekly Tuesday night xc series race and Amy it IS the race where you win a prize if you predict your time accurately. The prize is free entry to the next week's race. All good. The bike path does indeed go up behind Coopers and is now connected to the path that goes all the way to Amherst and up into Leeds too. You can run for almost 24 miles without interruption and they plan to extend it even further.

Track Thursday for me....with this TBT craze on Facebook, I'll just rename my TBT as Track Burn Thursday (or as a teammate said this morning: Track B*TCH Thursday) Ran to the track (3 miles) and then we did a speed ladder 800--600-400-200 and back up to 800 with the rest interval half the distance of the speed-up at a walk jog pace. Today's pace target for the masters in the group was 6:30 mile pace. Made it through pretty well and ran home (dumb idea since the run home is all uphill....)  Anyway...good to get the marathon shuffle out of my legs and work on turnover. All my next races at least until September are half-marathon distance or shorter.

Jay does have jammed days and all good too!

I haven't posted since last Sat. what with going to Ludington for my mother's birthday, doing my normal grandson babysitting day, and having lunch with my daughter in Flint today.  I have scanned the dailies but will pass on comments.

I will make an exception to that statement for ribs.  He ended up with  quite an ordeal with scheduled surgery, setback that required another surgery, and finally ready to go home.  I hope the recovery from here on out is rapid and complete.  There was a lot of good racing.  Marathons by Holly (PR for porta potty stops), mari (BQ), and Twocat.  There were also some RA meet ups which are always great to hear about.

I did get in a few short runs, 4 or 5 miles.  Hopefully, I can get back to a somewhat normal schedule.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

...GOOD NEWS on Ribbs//////////

===========

...still recovering

from the StoneBruise....

and like

one of us said once-

''Stoopid ought to Hurt''

it did

..........................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....