Masters Running

Fri Mar 7 Runs and Workouts (Read 528 times)

Good morning, everyone! My dog is always very happy to see me. 3 recovery "magical healing" miles this morning, around 9:10/mi, AHR 131. Have a great day, and a great weekend.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

3 recovery for me-untimed-on the cushioned TM, at ~5-6 mph, with walking breaks as needed. Just enough to get the legs some active recovery. These are magical healing miles, for sure... Ribs-as you know, right now is crunch time for any marathoner heading to Boston and I don't want to crash there again so I really need to force mileage into my schedule. I sometimes feel (lately) that working and running are consuming the whole day and there is not time to do anything else...but it will be that way until mid April, I guess... FTR-I had run to my Hartford jobsite once before-last year-in training, so I knew that it could be done. I used a shortcut then and it was only 14 miles. I was sore for days but I prepared better for this one. Rested well, ate a good breakfast at 5am, brought a cereal bar that I ate at 7 miles. I did not take any fluids though. I tried to keep the pace steady the whole way but had to stop for crosswalks downtown in East Hartford and Hartford, so I picked up the pace between the rest periods. On the way home, I felt the 'wall' at mile 11 (ironic that it would be ~26 miles for the day at that point), and know I was glycogen depleted. Fortunately I was near a vending machine and I bought a large Red Bull, not my first choice but better than diet sodas, water or coke (I was afraid that I'd get bloated from the carbonation). After the drink, I was able to make it home, but I positive split the rest of the miles. Got home, took a warm shower then wrapped myself in a towel and sprayed cold water from the shower on my legs at as cold a temp as I could stand it for about 7-8 minutes. Iced my legs more after dinner and iced my trying to flare PF on the right-then rolled a ball under my foot while watching 'Idol' with the fam. Lots of stretching lately as my torn quad likes to ball up after long runs...ha. btb-yes, people should know we runners are crazy by now!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

It's a tough balance Dale. Getting high volume miles with quality during "race preparation" month and not getting injured. It sounds too me like you are stradling the "red line" if you have PF that needs a ball. Please be careful. GA run this morning. 2.2 mi with Tory at 8:39 pace (AHR 154) then 6 mi at 7:46 pace (AHR 159) Total: 8.2 mi in 1:05:34 (8:00, AHR 157) Very smooth, nice run, hacking all the way.... durn kold Have great runs! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Dave59

This is day 3 of whatever bug I caught, so today I will lurk and live vicariously through the running of others.

A beautiful sunrise reflecting off the icy surfaces on a comfortable 8 mile run this morning. Footing was a little treacherous in spots but I never went down. Enjoy your runs, workouts or rest today.

The Jogger

Morning Gang I know what you mean about your dog Lou, my Woody is always wagging his tail Smile Nice recovery run Dale, keep healthy for Boston Steve I did a part run with my dog, woody& Mrs Roy, 3 miles then another 5 by myself but not as good as your pace or HR. Good 8 Craneium get well soon Dave. Anyway: 8m 01:22:19 @ 10:18 AHR 155 73% New AG for me today, the big 50 will use my new 305 tomorrow, charging it this morning. Good Runs All Roy

Renee the dog

Checking in on a weekday for once! Today was a make-up run for yesterday. 4 1/2 mi -- sweated out my headache that's from lack of consistent sleep. My son is teething and has his first cold. He was completely inconsolable overnight on Wed. night. It had my dog and I looking at each other yesterday and passing out on the couch instead of running. Don't remind me that I'm 43 and should have done the kids thing when I was younger. Wink But when I'm out running, I still feel 21!!! Hope everyone has great runs today!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Happy 50th Roy! Welcome to the club of old guys ... Dtoce, still impressive, even if you did have positive splits on the way home. I could probably run to and from my work (it's 6 miles each way). But I don't think the shower at work is working since they seem to be using it for storage. And I'd have to figure out how to get my clothes to work. Can't sit around all day in stinky running garb! 14 miles this morning with an easy progression. 2:12 total, average HR 142. Splits were 10:19 min/mile pace to warm up then 9:44, 9:48, 9:45, 9:42, 9:35, 9:34, 9:22, 9:22, 9:13, 9:11, 8:56, 8:43, and a cool down mile at 9:01. I thought I was moving a little better than that on the inward half, but I'll take it. 14 miles before work is about the most I can handle. Much more and I'd have to start coming in late! I'm off to Colorado tomorrow morning for a week of skiing and snow play, so I'll be a little quiet on the Board. I'm going to try to get some miles in but many will likely be on the TM. Snow, ice, cold temps, 9600 foot elevation and mountains ought to kick my behind pretty good I expect. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #3309

Morning all, Thanks for starting us out WRFB, and glad you had a nice recovery run...is your dog very happy to see you "after you let it out of the trunk" Big grin dtoce...life is hard sometimes trying to squeeze everything in...heck, I'm single and still find life extremely hectic and hard to get everything done, but try to stick to my running plan because that's what keeps me sane. Hope your PF does not become a big issue...I occasionally struggle with that, but never have to stop running as long as I ice my heel and bottom of my foot. Nice "smooth" run Perch...hope you get over your cold soon....same to you Dave It's really hard being sick, and wanting to run. Nice 8 miler Craneium in some bad conditions - sunrise sounds like it was beautiful...glad you made it back without a sore butt Smile I also had an easy 8 miler last night at a nice easy silky smooth pace....tried to keep my HR around 128 to 132 and succeeded. Wore my new polar watch with foot pod last night un-calibrated and it had my run at 6.3 miles when the manual said the pod would be about 95% accurate right out of the box....need to get to a track and calibrate the gadget....which leads me to a question to someone here with better math skills than me. The pod needs to be callabrated in km's, and the track I ran at is in miles...440 track. What would be the best way to find a easy distance to set up my foot pod....I guess a 5K would be ok, I could run 3 miles, but really don't know how far the .1 would be to make it a 5K....is that confusing enough for everyone Confused Have a wonderful TGIF and runs and whatever all, Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! {{{Dave59}}} Roy – Happy Birthday! Friday is normally a rest/x-training day, but it’s supposed to begin snowing this morning possibly giving us 10-12” of snow by tomorrow, so I decided to get in a run while the roads were still dry and take tomorrow off instead. 8.1 miles in 31 degrees with 20-23mph winds, 9:30ish pace with the wind, 10:30ish pace against the wind. Another odd tired-legs-but-strangely-sproinky-feeling run. It may just be the warmer temps. Off to the title bureau to renew my driver’s license. They always take a new picture and make you give them your old one, but I hate to give this one up – it’s the first driver’s license where I had a decent picture. My eyes are open and my mouth is shut. Big grin DS is off school today and, with the “storm of doom” as an excuse, I’m taking off at noon, picking up the kids, and taking them for a bowling lunch (you get a free game of bowling if you eat at their diner). Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

Friday is normally a rest/x-training day, but it’s supposed to begin snowing this morning possibly giving us 10-12” of snow by tomorrow, so I decided to get in a run while the roads were still dry and take tomorrow off instead. Happy Friday!
                        Looks like we will be getting the weather you will get a little later, yuck...I will try my best to keep it here in Indiana Wink Going to make my 16 miler planned tomorrow interesting Shocked Have fun bowling...I haven't done that in a long time....hope for a "good" drivers license picture for Holly Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Rest day for me. Zzzzzzzzzz Big happy birthday to my buddy ROY!! Smile Hope you feel better soon Dave. Enjoy your bowling game today Holly - I love to bowl too. Greta 3 magical miles Lou and Dtoce too - must be the magic number this morning. Becareful to those of you driving, running, trying to navigate in weather that is foreign to your region. Hi to everyone else - gotta do some work I guess. Sad ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Good Friday morning Boomers.Scheduled rest day for me, but I will go do some leg and ab work today. Roy, have a great birthday! Dave, sorry you're into day 3 of not feeling well. Take care of yourself and hopefully you'll wake up tomorrow ready to go. I never thought I'd be feeling sorry for other parts of the U.S. as our winter has been brutal, but geeze, Holly. It seems like your area has been getting blasted! Smart to get your long run in today. Our temps have been 15F below normal (-10 last night and also predicted for tonight). Our 4 foot snowbanks aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Good luck to all our Boston runners as you continue your training. The training program I'm following for my half in May has me running 10 tomorrow, and I'm hoping I can do it outdoors instead of on the treadmill. It was easier when I did this training 2 years ago. Now that I'm 55, every day I can swing my legs over the side of the bed seems like a huge accomplishment! Good runs, everyone, Jeanne

Hill Runner

Good morning all, Happy Birthday Roy! I got up to run but decided to take a rest today. With only 9 days to go before my marathon, rest is probably just as important as running at this point. Good runs to everyone today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                              Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                              Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Good morning, all! Roy - good birthday run for you! Have a great day! Dave - wishing you a speedy recovery from that darned old bug! btb - hope you don't have to break out the oars for your race - best of luck! {{{{{{{{nonoruns son}}}}}}}} - you and your dog have my sympathy. Hope the pain abates so you can get some sleep soon. It was a bit colder here this morning (23 degrees) but still no wind. The track was too frosty to run on, so I was thankful for the asphalt strip around the track perimeter. Nice, easy 6 miles this morning with core and weights scheduled for lunchtime. As I was pulling into the track parking lot, the closure of the Goldstar Bridge was announced over the radio. There was black ice on the bridge, and several accidents occurred before they could close it down. I have to take that bridge to get to work and thought I would have to find another route, but the road crews were able to sand it down and get it back open by the time I finished my run. Good luck to the weekend racers! Good runs and a good weekend to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous