Masters Running

Thursday, Three, Three, Sixteen. (Read 41 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Nice run in the chill, Slo. Have fun with the beagles. Oh yeah - with DS too!

Stumpy, I (and you do too) have a "half marathong" coming up. I shudder to think...

Good dreadmill run, Jlynne.

Bring your company to Watertown, LaT. You can make breakfast for them after the race.

Sounds like you already got "trouble getting," TW. Mike always has a good perspective, but it is hard to be patient when you've already invested a fair amount of time and aren't getting any closer to a solution to the problem. Lily T. has some great quotes!

Good job of keeping your promise to yourself, Leslie.

I'm glad you got some sunshine, Tet. You're right - Aamos will be out of sight at the 5K before I know it.

I'm glad you survived the caucus, Starr, and that you are off and running on your way to Green Bay.

I'd venture say that there is no question about you becoming a stronger rider, Enke. Sorry about MBE's wipe out. Watch those gusts!

Long day, Twocat. There'll be no RTB for me this year. The relay is a blast, but 9/16 is our anniversary, and if I spend it with you instead of DW, I could have a bit of a problem. However, the meeting spot, parking lot, and guest house will be available if you all want to use them again this year.

I'm glad your post-marathon recovery is going well, Mariposai. Thanks for the Deeze/Steven update.

Good 10-fer, Mike. You can make it to NH for the RTB relay. Enke traveled a bit to get here last year, and so did Mariposai the year before.

I hope Steven continues on the road to recovery, Deeze. And I hope the rest of you avoid the flu, even if it takes taking Tamiflu to do it.

Glad you go a run in with your busy schedule, C-R.

6.8 miles of RW fartleks this morning in windy 18F temps, and under clear, moon-lit skies. Going into a headwind for the first 3 miles was somewhat less than fun or comfortable. It was much more pleasant on the way back.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Slo

Making 6 miles of fresh tracks in new snow this morning.

It came down wet and then the temps dropped making it really crunchy. I was entertained by the rhythm of my foot falls and breathing.

Crunch...whoooo...Crunch...haaaa...Crunch...whoooo...Crunch...haaaa...Crunch...whoooo...Crunch...haaaa...

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Just a bit cooler this morning than yesterday when I wimped out of a rainy run.  45° vs 19°.  A short 5K around the lake today.  Dressed just right, so very comfortable.  In what seems to be a recurring theme, I find myself under trained for the half this weekend.  I had hope for a sub 2 hour time, but I think that's moved to the "if everything is perfect and I have a 20 mph tailwind" realm.  I'll be really excited if I get close to a PR time.  C'est la running vie.  It's supposed to be decent weather and a scenic course, so off we go.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Good morning gentlemen! Jay your temp is spot on with Green Bay but you were much braver to stay out there for a few extra miles! and you're a very smart man to skip RTB this year to stay home and celebrate your anniversary.  Unless you could talk your DW into joining the relay team. How fun to celebrate in a van of smelly, tired runners!

Nice rhythm with the breathing and crunching this morning Slo.Have fun with that new beagle puppy!

Some times the best race results come from thinking you haven't trained enough Kevin. I'll bet you surprise yourself.

4.65 miles this morning - outside - in 19° but no wind. Just dodging piles of snow and ice and inattentive drivers...

Getting sooooo very tired of all the election bulls#$@. Other countries must be looking at our candidates and thinking "this is the best they've got to run for president?" DH and I were talking last night and thinking it may be time to sell the house and move to Canada

It came down wet and then the temps dropped making it really crunchy. I was entertained by the rhythm of my foot falls and breathing.

Crunch...whoooo...Crunch...haaaa...Crunch...whoooo...Crunch...haaaa...Crunch...whoooo...Crunch...haaaa...

...I'm confused,

is Left ''Whoo'' or ''Haaa'' ??

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

Can hear the collective sighs of relief for deez's Steven.  Pshew for sure.  Looking forward to the answers--really scary the flu can be so debilitating.  I know about the 1918 epidemic, but am surprised that today this can happen.  Also did not know that about Tamiflu.

LaT, they should take you out to brunch, doncha think?  And après race is the perfect time!  And we can meet them (o, maybe that's not a plus from your viewpoint.)

So we're wearing thongs, is that the deal?

Kevin, you have to channel your inner twocat as far as running a distance for which you claim to be undertrained.   If you ask her nicely, I betcha mari will cheer you on from afar.  I'm running a half on Sunday.  It's the Hooters half, as it starts and ends at Hooters, with beer and wings at the end (yecch, who wants that at 9am??)......but this a big run here and raises a bunch of money for kids with cancer.

As for September, I'm hoping to see Holly and Tara at the Air  Force marathon that weekend.

Happy Scott Kelly landed safely--there's a hero for us.  And a taller one!    I remember hearing him tell the story before he left that he had to suggest NASA might want to study effects of space on him and include his twin brother (who NASA had on their radar, as he's a retired astronaut, recall, married to Gabby Giffords).   Anyway, here's the story--it just cracks me up, every time I think of it--so much for rocket scientists!  (Right, Rosie?)  The following is from NPR:

Initially, NASA did not plan to compare the earthbound twin with the one on the long-duration space mission. But after Scott Kelly got this assignment, he went to a briefing to get ready for a press conference.

"And I asked the question, 'Hey if someone just asks ... will there be any comparative studies between you and your brother, how should I answer that?' " Scott Kelly recalls in a NASA video.

A few weeks later, he explained, a program scientist came back to him and said, "It actually looks like this might be something that the science community is interested in."

.........o, um, yea, we meant to tell you  that we want to do that, that the thing you said, Scott.....

In fact, they kinda ran with it:    https://www.nasa.gov/twins-study

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

30F

6.2 miles

The fast guys went one way and 8 of us went a different way. Soon our 8 became 4 and 4. The good part was that the rocket scientist was able to run the whole route with us back of the packers.

After the run, I changed my clothes in my car and went to 0700 mass. I am so lucky that it was cold. And that La Tortuga has knitted me a hat or two.  I wore the beret type hat to mass this morning and was comfortable and my running hair was covered up beautifully. My hair has thinned very noticably since my Graves Disease in 2010, it is embarrassing enough clean and coiffed but, when I finish running with a winter cap on, my bald spots really stand out. Thankfully, my knitting friend has me covered!

During the prayer of the faithful, the priest says "We pray for the sick and those names we mention now." Now, remember, this is 0700 mass, plenty of old people and quiet people, so when he says this, we all mumble the names of those for whom we are praying at the same time. For some reason, I love this. But this might be one of those "you have to be there" things. I quietly but clearly stated , "Steven". So thanks for the update, Deez. And, ditto to the Tamiflu comment. I don't know which is worse the flu or the Tamiflu.

Twin studies!  Yes, Aamos, it's been grand watching this NASA stuff! I am so happy that Scott has returned safely. It is funny watching Mark and Scott interact. Typical twin brothers!

Wildchild, Ralph has not completely ruled out Casper now that he has had a good run. He is just disappointed that I can't travel with him in June. We have a friend in Boulder that has offered his companionship so I am unsure what will happen.

Jay, I didn't know race walkers fartlekked!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Five more dry cyclemiles more than making up for last evening’s rainy return trip.

I couldn’t care less but, unfortunately, the cloudy half of the sky

was in the east so no sunshine this am. .
                  Our weekly prayer callouts are one-by-one with a brief explanation

and then the minister summarizes ‘em all at the end again.

Hope it helps Steven get back on his own ASAP.

Thanks for the NASA stories.

We all remember July 20, 1969 and being up there for 340 days has been the only good story of the year that could be counted in otherwise mostly sad and depressing newscasts.  However, 340 days is fantastic enough in and of itself but what’s with 340 days up in space all-of-a-sudden being a year up there?  Time warp? And why didn’t they let him stay up another 25 days? Maybe stumps can try it to get his desired half mary time, after all, as, at that rate, even my seven hour marathons would be over in six-and-a-half hours.
                  ps - having worn thongs in many of my marathongs too, barathons are a lot better
                  pps rosie - when you get to this stage, you’ll realize RW’ers sprint too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Oh how I wish Scott Kelly had received more press.  Wouldn't it have been grand if he'd "trumped" all the election crap?

Am keeping Steven in my prayers.  Very scary, indeed.

It was either Zithromax or Tamiflu that made me so unbelievably sick to my stomach, I actually felt better battling the flu symptoms on my own.

And Deez - I for one am NEVER grossed out by discussion of intestinal matters . . . as I am sure most everyone here can attest to. 

And if you're gonna thong it, people, remember to Glide it!

Oh what a difference a couple of days of resting makes.  This morning's 37-min stationary biking session went very well (30 min of steady, 7 min of progressively harder), as did the hour of core/ST.

The Hub's back has really been hurting him lately, so this morning I finally said, "May I give you some advice?"  Him: "What?  Not sit around on the couch all day when I'm not working?"  Me: "I really think you need to start doing some core strengthening exercises."  And I think he's ready to listen to me - FINALLY!  The problem is going to be keeping him from going all gang busters at first and making thngis worse, but we'll see.  At least he seems willing to try something.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

last pleasantly unseasonable day here for a bit, so will get in a run after work. then we are in for a week of rain.

this saturday is Todd Ragsdale's memorial service. I just read this piece written by Ian Torrence and thought I'd put it here for anyone interested. Even if someone doesn't know Todd, after reading this, you'll feel like you know a part of him. It's so well written.

http://www.irunfar.com/2016/03/remembering-todd-ragsdale.html#.VtZd1x3UvnM.facebook

Tammy

....guys//...I may have missed the post, but ALWAYS take Tamiflu on a Full Stomach.....

and

any other medicine that says ''take with or without food''>>>>>>means TAKE WITH FOOD

=========

...Snowing here..............bleh

40-min PoolRun, used belt on last 4-laps, cf, ris

snow didn't

bother the PoolRun,

just thought I'd point out how much I hated snow one last time

.................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

4 mile bike ride last night, 2 miles uphill this morning in partly sunny skies.  I don't think I can go back to taking 2 buses to work anymore - this bike-one bus-bike thing gets me to and from work so much faster!  I look forward to putting on my tights in the morning instead of work clothes.

Didn't get up quite early enough for a run today, dang it..... I need to start training for the relay in June and running consistently.

Twocat's Rosie Ruiz team was a blast last year - I highly recommend anyone thinking of doing it to DO IT.  Great time of year, great weather, lots of fun.  I think the relay in June will be my last overnight relay - just too tough on my body!  But I still want to train for half-marathons.

Deez...praying for your son and so glad to hear of some improvement.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mike E

MM #5615

Getting sooooo very tired of all the election bulls#$@. Other countries must be looking at our candidates and thinking "this is the best they've got to run for president?" DH and I were talking last night and thinking it may be time to sell the house and move to Canada

You'd better hurry.  That wall Trump is building is not keep people out...it's to keep us all in.

Thanks for sharing the article, Tammy.  It sounds like he was quite a guy and he will be sorely missed.

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

You'd better hurry.  That wall Trump is building is not keep people out...it's to keep us all in.

Another one here who, all politics aside, simply cannot believe someone like Trump is getting so much support.  I mean, really, what does that say about the American public?

3 miles for me this morning because I had an early morning meeting.

Anyone else here love the Pentatonix?  I'm doing a little chair-dancing to them while I work.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."