Masters Running

Is it Monday again? (Read 47 times)

Mariposai

Howdie folks, time to start this daily thread.

How did the you enjoy the Super Bowl game last night? Which commercial did you like the best?

No run here, but I can't wait to read and celebrate your runs!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

I had no dog in the fight last night so the Super Bowl was just for watching.  I found myself rooting for the 49ers only due to a general dislike of Ray Lewis.  The Dodge (God created the Farmer) commercial was easily the best for me.  Didn't care for the Beyonce half time.  It was all "Show" and Hips, with little regard for actual Music.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I had no dog in the fight last night so the Super Bowl was just for watching.  I found myself rooting for the 49ers only due to a general dislike of Ray Lewis.  The Dodge (God created the Farmer) commercial was easily the best for me.  Didn't care for the Beyonce half time.  It was all "Show" and Hips, with little regard for actual Music.

Bill

I fully agree with your rooting reasons.  and also for the tear-jerker commercial catogory.  I liked the Oreo library and and the baby wolf ones for entertainment purposes.  Halftime show.  meh.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

I was at a Super Bowl shindig but didn't pay attention to the game, nor the commercials. Was tired from my race so I left before halftime. I heard the highlight of the airing was the 35 minute power outage....

Planks done, now I just have to get out to do my 9 miles today. Inertia's taking a strong hold on me today... Sad

King of PhotoShop

That is amazing!  Had I not seen Breger's post I bet I would have written the exact same thing!  I always loved Paul Harvey, that twangy voice and those heart-felt images of the hard-working farmer.  It was a tear-jerker, or maybe I'm just sentimental.  And at the same time, is it me, or are we just getting trashier and cheesier as Americans that we demand this other sort of junk to amuse us?

3.3 recovery miles on the dirt today with RP.

If anyone is suffering from PF, please see this as I'm offering a pair of socks for runners to test and report on:

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2013/02/handicap-recap-the-dallas-running-club-best-of-times-5-miler-and-other-stuff.html/

Spareribs

Tramps

I'll spare you my Superbowl rant. (But am I the only one who thinks that power outage sounds suspiciously like a cyberattack?)

This morning's scheduled intervals kept a lid on my over-indulging too much. Out for 10 miles with 6x800's, all of which went well.

Be safe. Be kind.

TammyinGP

Didn't really care who won the Superbowl, but DH is from the Bay area and a diehard 49er fan - even in the bad years he's never wavered on his loyalty, so of course he was excited about this game. And DS, a diehard Hawks fan, wanted the 49ers to get pummeled since his Hawks weren't in the game. So he was cheering for the Ravens. It made for a loud game at our house because no matter who was scoring, there was ALWAYS cheering going on.  The dogs even went upstairs to bed to get away from the noise. And I made ravioli and bread.  I like the Clydesdale commercial, and the baby wolf one. I thought the Minnesota guy talking with a Jamaican accent was pretty good too. GoDaddy has reached an even newer level of raunch. Halftime show. blech. that's when I got online for awhile. When they book Tower of Power to do a halftime show, that's when I'll watch it.

Will RAL today. no excuses, even though it's cold and foggy. but it's going to be cold and rainy the next couple days and I already missed one training run last week (a 3 miler).

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

If anyone is suffering from PF, please see this as I'm offering a pair of socks for runners to test and report on:

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2013/02/handicap-recap-the-dallas-running-club-best-of-times-5-miler-and-other-stuff.html/

Hey Ribs--I would love to test out a pair of those socks and give you a report back. I don't think I have PF but I've been wearing some other compression type socks for a few months that seem to be helping my Achille's...does that count?

mrrun

In agreement with the half time bleah show.  Turned on Downton Abbey, so never saw anything after the power outage - a boom for cbs cause it made the game more excitiing.  Ran 9  mostly into WIND with no sproink - but it's done.  A few more hours of splurging before i have to think of work tomorrow - not working Mondays is wonderful!

marj

Dave59

I ate too much, drank too much, and stayed up too late for a game I didn't really care about and was only partially watching.  Aristotle would say that was definitely a failure in life's striving toward living a good life. A wasted evening that could have been spent in the pursuit of better things.

Today is a transition day back into the world of the living.  I slept in, have a lot of work to do, and my throat is sore so I decided not to run today.

I am one of the weird ones who doesn't care about the commercials or the halftime show.  I do remember seeing the farmer commercial and it was good.  Seemed like a lot was inappropriately raunchy.  Makes me glad I don't have younger kids.

I was pulling ever so slightly for the Ravens.  My reason was I was tired of hearing the word "Kaepernick".

DW and I quit at half time when it appeared to be a blow out and watched a DVRed episode of the Walking Dead.  We are all the way up to the third show in this season!  At this rate we should catch up just in time for when next season ends.  Oh yes, the Super Bowl, neither my DW nor I cared who won which is why we were so willing to turn it off.  Then this morning I read about all the real action: blackout followed by SF's ultimately futile comeback.

As to running.  This morning I got up early.  But on my night time running gear and headed off for 9 miles.  One thing I miss when I cannot run is seeing the sun come up over the horizon.  As the miles wore on it was just wonderful to see the day break and the sun up in sky when I turned for home.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

King of PhotoShop

Mike E., click on the link, see my email address and write to me there. Include your mailing address and size.

All of you remember my BIL's son Joey.  Each year he helps his friend with the confetti machine at the Super Bowl.  Some gig huh?  Here he is, having a great time:

C-R

I'm with you Bill. I actually watched a rerun of a soccer match (Tottenham v West Brom) that I watched earlier in the day. Much more entertaining. I liked the Audi Prom commercial and the Huyndai commercial where the kids get a stacked football team. I have no idea what GoDaddy is thinking but they must want to loose business as a tax write-off or something.

Didn't care who won. Glad there was some entertainment on the field.

Got 6.2 today at recovery pace after yesterday's race. It was a 7 miler with lots of snow making it really slippery. I ran 7:15s on the snow and 6:45s when I got clear pavement. Oh and the 22 degrees and 10mph wind made it fun too. Actually had a great time.

Not sure about the cyber attack Tramps but I thought it looked like a breaker trip from the incoming feed to protect the T&D system since they went on back-up emergency mode. Thought they might have single phased (loss of a transformer in an old school set-up). My guess is that the system pulled more than design and no one really checked it. After working the SB here last year, I was amazed at the sheer volume and size of it all. And it all needs electricity. It did change the game momentum.

Back at it. Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Ran 9  mostly into WIND with no sproink - but it's done.  

Marj, you had the same run as me today! Though I finished my prescribed 9 miles and was still three-quarters of a mile from home... too cold and windy to walk, so I jogged (all uphill, of course) a bit more. But yes, it's done.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

me too tammy but, since the Ravens had the second best defense in the NFL this year, I was glad they won since it couldn't be the other bird team with the best defense David and I would have liked to win. The only good music I heard was from the God-Bless-America kids.  However, I wish each of them could have held a name/picture of their fallen friends for us to see. I liked all of the SF quarterback's tattoos though. .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)