Masters Running

Tuesday Nov. 18 Runs, Non-Runs and other stuff (Read 571 times)

Morning all, Ive been quite busy and haven't had the opportunity to post or even read the forum in a few days so I've got a lot of catching up to do. DW and I are getting things together as we fly out Saturday morning to Las Vegas and then head down to Arizona for a 10 day vacation ... WARMTH! I figured I would post my last two runs here and hopefully get todays's posted later as well. Sunday - 8.9 miles 1:18:04 (8:46) - Avg HR 125 Max HR 137 - Light rain, windy and 58 degrees (I don't think we'll see many more of these warm days in the Northeast). Monday - 5.02 Miles - 40:02 - (7:58) Avg HR 129 Max HR 139 - Clear and cool - 42 degrees. Hope you all have great runs today. Big grin
      Nice runs, Bob, as usual. Today I decided to try some speed work -- it has been a long time. 7 miles, with 4 mi @ tempo pace. Pace(HR): 7:23(154), 7:14(165), 7:14(165),7:07(170). I'd like to say it was easy, but I worked a bit. It wasn't awful, though. Overall 7.1 mi, 54:52, 7:45/mi, AHR 153 Have a great day today!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Enjoy your vacation Bob. Be sure to see Sedona, AZ while you're out there. Speedy Tempos Lou. Good job! Yesterday's unintentional tempos left the legs complaining a little. I guess I better not take 2 days off (3 out of 4 too) often. So today was definitely a recovery day. 4 miles at 9:55 min/mile pace. Average HR 125, max 133. 55F 46% dry as a bone. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Have a great time on vacation Maine!! Warmth sounds wonderful!! Nice runs too.... Good job on the speed work Lou. Nice recovery run Byll. Out at 5:15 with Brinkley for our first snowy run. My garmin went whacky and I had my HR monitor on upside down - so my avg. HR was 50! Shocked I also hit the pause button instead of the start button - so my "garmin" morning was all screwed up. Other than that - the morning was beautiful!! 20 degrees, partly cloudy so the moon gave the clouds some back-lighting and the trees were just gorgeous with the snow enlightening every branch. Very quiet running in/on the snow too. To the best of my knowledge we averaged about a 10:10 pace - 4 miles total. Cheers!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning... Yes as usual, nice running Bob. I am envious, but I hope you enjoy your vacation...and warmth. Wow Lou, nice run there with speedy paces. That's really good speed work considering you said you haven't done it for awhile. Nice recovery run Bill, which HAS to be IRC for you Buddie. Hey, Mary is not a slacker this morning Wink 20 degrees, sheesh, winter is here huh? Sweet run there Mary with the Brinkster, and hope you continue to get your mojo back...I have some more to send ya if you need it. To be fair to Twocat, I am not going to post my "non" run yet...your welcome Twokitty. Winter has really hit here in Central Indiana with snow and slick streets. Took me an hour to drive 10 miles to work this morning...which really sucks because I was coming in early to get caught up, oh well. Hope everyone has a great Toosday, and good runs and non runs. TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice running!! Hopeful.. my Garmin went whacky too! Brisk, blustery run in 31F with 20 mph N wind on return leg. 6 mi of hills in 48:23 (8:04 pace). Ran by feel after Garmin battery died. Not bad after 4.5 hrs sleep following 17 hr work day .

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Mainerunnah – I just thought you were out fixing your tractor... Smile Mary – you remind me that it’s time to drag out that HR monitor strap and start wearing it. I rarely wear it in the hot weather because I have to cinch it so tight to offset sweat slippage that I feel like I can’t take a deep breath. Cold weather I don’t seem to sweat much, so it stays in place better. Timbo – wonder if that weather is heading our way today. We’re still dry at the moment, just windy and cold. 6 easy-paced (ave 10:37) miles for me outside in a very windy 27 degrees. “Aaahhhh...”, I thought to myself, meditating on Tramps’ weather wisdom, “...be one with the wind....embrace the cold air freezing your face...” Smile then I finished with (1 min. 10:00/2 min. 8:00) x 5 on the treadmill plus CD to make it 8 miles total.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

4 easy miles with T at an 8:18 pace...Big interview today,cross your fingers and toes for me...
                  Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Marathon Maniac #957

Gordon - fingers crossed, toes crossed, prayers sent... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

Bob—have a good vacation! Lou—nice tempo miles. Byll—smart to ease up when needed. Mary—I didn’t know wearing a HRM upside down made a difference. Really? Holly—you might want to re-think that. You saw where my weather wisdom got me on Saturday. Roll eyes Gordon--good luck! 5.2 miles @ 8:17. 35F IRC. No whacky Garmin.

Be safe. Be kind.

"it’s time to drag out that HR monitor strap and start wearing it. I rarely wear it in the hot weather because I have to cinch it so tight to offset sweat slippage that I feel like I can’t take a deep breath. Cold weather I don’t seem to sweat much, so it stays in place better."
                        Holly, that's strange. Mine is exactly the opposite. In the summer, the HR strap never moves at all. As soon as our weather eases up and the humidity drops, my HR strap starts sliding down. You might remember I had HR strap issues early on at NYC - and I think part of it was the dry air up there I was not used to running in. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Tramps--I think you had everything covered except you forgot to "be the humidity" Wink BTW, I'm not a HR trainer, but a lot of them have said that their HR spikes when they're coming down with something. Curious if you felt something coming on, or really just the high humidity. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Hill Runner

Good morning all, Cold and blustery morning...same weather as Steve. I had to break out the cold weather gear. 10.14 miles of hills @ 9:01 pace...getting back into the groove of things again. Healing vibes to everyone who is on the DL...seems to be quite a few right now. Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                            Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                            Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Mary—I didn’t know wearing a HRM upside down made a difference. Really?
                              Yes, really! I wish someone else would wear their's upside down and see if it is just me or what! Evertime I have the "Garmin" word upside down - I get really low and whacky HR readings. Maybe I'm just goofy. Everything is crossed Gordon - I feel like a pretzel! GOOD LUCK!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Tramps

Tramps--I think you had everything covered except you forgot to "be the humidity" Wink BTW, I'm not a HR trainer, but a lot of them have said that their HR spikes when they're coming down with something. Curious if you felt something coming on, or really just the high humidity. Kevin
                                I know that high HR can signal illness but, no, I've been fine. I think I was done in by just my trying to run normal race speed in the warmth and humidity. Saturday, after 8 miles around 8:10 pace my HR was hitting 160's already. (I just looked it up and last year at the same race in IRC my AHR for the entire race was 154). Yesterday I ran 5 miles just under 8 minute pace with AHR 135. Of course, it was 30 degrees cooler! There must be some physiological basis for different reaction to H&H, even beyond the issue of being acclimatized. My DW and I joke about it all the time; she's from Georgia and I'm from New Hampshire with the predictable differences in reaction to temps. About now, she's freezing, I'm comfortable. In the summer, she loves the heat, I'm wiped out and wilted.

Be safe. Be kind.