Masters Running

Weekly Newbies starting 1/15 (Read 521 times)

Me

Good morning, Rinda, Glad you were able to get a nice run in. It looks like you are definately feeling better. Teresa, nice run for you too. 4 miles for me this morning. It was a little chilly out. Brrrr. But the moon and stars were out, and the blasted newspaper lady was not. Smile Cheers, Mike
      Nice running, guys. Hope everything's going well! On Monday I had a great day off, with NO DRIVING. So I took advantage of spare time and energy and ran almost 6 miles. It was 20F but it felt fine. I ran fastish at times, and slowly through patches of ice and snow on the path. Yesterday was a different story; I had planned to run but couldn't find the time. Today, 5 miles, 39F, very relaxed pace and it felt good. The sun is shining brightly here. Jem
      Teresadfp

One day at a time

Wow, Jem, a whole day with no driving? That would be heaven. I feel like I'm driving back and forth to school, piano, Y, dentist, barber, etc. all day long! Can't wait until DS learns to drive this summer. Rest day today - felt great, lol! Teresa
          Wow, Jem, a whole day with no driving? That would be heaven. I feel like I'm driving back and forth to school, piano, Y, dentist, barber, etc. all day long! Can't wait until DS learns to drive this summer. Rest day today - felt great, lol! Teresa
          Theresa, I jump in and out of the car all day. I've got a couple kids here who are learning to drive. When they get their licenses it will be very different. Scary, but different. Surprised It was heaven to have time for that run, and then luxuriate in the tub after, with a cup of hot tea. I took my time. Decadent. Cool
            Just in from 4 beautiful miles accompanied by still, chilly, damp-ish air (great for my lungs and sinuses), starlight, and a mysteriously beautiful moon rise. Thought I might get to see a helicopter land, as well, but it just circled and hovered a while. Kind of creepy - it arrived on the scene shortly after I heard lots of sirens, so I was kind of hoping it wouldn't land, since that likely would have meant someone was getting an unwanted ride to the trauma center. On my first few evening runs after Christmas, I really missed the lights in my neighborhood, but the stars were so beautiful tonight, it was better to watch them instead. And the moon rise was a real treat. Only thing that would have made it better would have been to see the path to the moon reflected in the ocean. Ah, summer can't be that far away, can it? Can it?!?!?!?!?!? I'm so impressed with all of you guys who manage multiple miles on the TM. I wimped out in the cold on Monday and went to the gym, only to agonize through 1.5 ugly miles on the TM. Man, I forgot how much I hate to sweat! And how easily I get bored. If the roads are messy again tomorrow, I'm going to have to time it so that I get to the gym during the end of the news and during "Jeopardy" so that I might make it through at least a few miles on the evil running/torture machine. Lots of good runs and gym work outs going on, oh, newbie buddies. Good runs, workouts, and rest to all. Smile Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hi all. Idaho has been busy and tiring. haven't checked e-mail or gotten on line in two days. Sounds like most everyone is getting in good runs these days. no outdoor running for me, just 2 miles on the TM this morning. Eliz--I agree wholeheartedly--I really don't like using them Smile I can't watch TV without getting seasick Dead Hope to be back on the road this weekend. the main reason there was no outdoor running this week had a little to do with the temperature. when we arrived on site Tuesday morning, it was -23F as in FREAKING cold. spent a lot of time outside, with little problem. insulated coveralls with thermals and fleece under, plus hand and toe warmers. Not nearly as bad as I thought it might be, since there was no wind at all. Today was a balmy -18 on arrival and -5 when we departed at 7 tonight. set a new personal record--I've been out in -20, but not in 30 years. now i have to finish jamming all that gear into my duffle. 3+ hours drive to Salt Lake City and home by 11 tomorrow night (I hope) Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Me

Good Newbie Buddies, Eliz, I have no choice but to run outside. sometimes, when it is cccold and windy out, I wish I had a treadmill. I keep telling myself "I'm tougher because of it". LOL Actually, I think it sounds more like "$%@&" Kevin, Have a safe trip home. Holy Cow, -23. That is something. 4 miles this morning. I hope Everyone is feeling better. Deb, are you there? Mike
                  Jeez Kevin, How do you survive in those temps? Even compared to New England those are fridged! Bet your glad to be home to more human temps. Think about the seven sisters run. If Kim and I are back to running we will be racing it. Mike, so whens your next half? Jem, do you have teen twins? Or are they just close in age? Kim is about to get licenses. Not pushing her though. My insurance skyrockets the day she gets licensed. Kim and I both are still on the DL. I did a short walk around the lake last weekend while my running partners ran. The leg is no where near being used to run. I did 5 mins on the eliptical this week and had to quit due to the pain. I am thinking that maybe my shoes dont help much. But I cant find a comfortable shoe to replace the Nike Free. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

dg.

hi everybody, sorry that I've been absent, again. (mike, thanks for asking). no time to really catch up this morning... just a few things. Laurie, don't push it! I know you know that. but also know how hard it is to do it. I think shoes could be a factor too.. I forget if I asked where your pull is. I read last night that the higher it is on your leg, the longer it takes to heal. you asked how long it will be for me.. I really don't know. in a lot of ways I've made progress, but still can't run much at all without pain. the last tm attempt was under 1/2 m for the running part, not all that much more walking, & it still hurt. I really should have stopped right away. I've been doing some other exercises & pushing it a little, I should have waited a day. my magic cashmere method didn't even work that time. I need a phantom Linda. Wink what kind of elliptical was it? kevin, safe travels. -23??? Jem, nice runs! I was just thinking it's hard running on the mixed surfaces you're having.. shifting gears like that. hope all is well. I'm out of time, hi & hugs to everybody else. oh, callenetics last night, stability ball stuff this morning (my favorites) & pt exercises each time, a few anyway.
                    Rindaroo

Deb -hang in there! are you sure you want a phantom Linda Big grin Eliz - I don't think I've ever done more than 4 miles on the TM... for me its a necessity, since I refuse to run in the dark, can't run in the cold..., and has been a big help with the rehab & bronchial problems too.. I would much rather run outside though, but gotta do what you gotta do. I have been not feeling too well this week.. well Wed & Thurs felt really bad, yesterday much better.. so I rested Thurs & Fri - no TM run as is in my schedule. I just did 2 miles on the TM walking only.. it took freaking 35 minutes for my body to warm up!! then tried to run, but it just wasn't happening.. Same thing as last Saturday, but I forced it to warm up then which did NOT work.. So, took Tom's advice after last Saturday - bagged the run, and just walked. This week, major IBS issues still (although not today), blood sugar issues on Wed & Thurs, bronchial issues too... oy! Next part maybe TMI, so read if you wish: Re: the IBS, I have chronic IBS, was orignially diagnosed when I was 20, am in the chronic stage, not the when you first get it stage.. Have tried all the normal things via doctors care, medication too, and it just doesn't work. They did a colonoscopy when I was 40, and I was fine (thank god!) & yep its just IBS with official diagnosis of slow moving gut..lol.. & more & food seems to irritate it as I get older..... but I'm not letting it stop me from living life or doing what I want to!!!! Big grin I guess thats no surprise though Cool
                        Kevin - glad you survived Idaho. Frankly, I think -23F sound just horrific. "Not nearly as bad as I thought it might be," he says. Yikes! I can't even imagine it. Mike - I'm with you on trying to convince myself that running in the cold is making me "tough." Not insane cold like -23, but normal cold, like maybe +23F with no wind. I'm also trying to focus on how great it is to be outdoors, especially during seasons when I used to hibernate. Laurie - sorry to hear the leg's still so painful. Walking is good. Walking outdoors is better. See above. Smile Deb - same sentiments regarding your injury. You're so dedicated to stay with the exercises and PT. I'm not sure if I'd be able to hang in there for so long. Linda - and speaking of inspirational . . . .wow, you're one tough cookie, girl! I can manage the treadmill walking, if it's slow enough that I can read and no get too sweaty, but running 4 miles on the vile thing? That would be some serious test of wills. Five miles today in my first sub-30-degree run this winter, maybe ever - don't remember last winter in that much detail. There was no wind, though, and it was partly sunny, so it turned out to be quite pleasant. I'm heading to the shore for an overnight and determined to run at least 3 miles on the boardwalk tomorrow, where it will surely be windy. It snowed down there a few days ago and it's been so cold, I'm hopeful that there might still be some snow on the beach - don't remember that happening since the winter that now-5-year-old godson was baptized. Haven't smelled salt air since New Years Day - I am way overdue for a shot of seashore serenity. Is it June yet?!?!?!?! Eliz Smile

flomotioncoaching.com

Me

Good Afternoon Everyone, Linda, I'm glad that you are at least getting on the dread mill and walking. Your "never quit" attitude is inspiring. Deb, I'm suprised the cashmere sweater did'nt help with your run. Eliz, Great mileage in sub-freezing temps. I actually love running outside. I figure that I can dress for just about any weather condition and not be too uncomfortable. I hope you enjoy the shore this weekend. Laurie, I hope your leg is feeling better. I have decided to run the half marathon in Columbus, OH this coming October. I'm getting some input from a friend that I should run one sometime this summer. We'll see. Jem and Teresa, I remember when my boys were learning how to drive. I bought an old pick up truck with a manual transmission for them to drive. They HATED me. I just laughed. Now my oldest wants to buy a pick up with a manual transmission. LOL. Kids are so funny. Roberta, How's your heel? 7 miles for me this afternoon. Cheers, Mike
                          Teresadfp

One day at a time

Eliz, glad you had a good run! It was 13 degrees when I started running this morning, and honestly, that's a FANTASTIC temperature to run in! I don't tell my non-running friends that, though, so that they will think I'm very noble and disciplined. Evil grin I ran 6 miles for the first time. It was hard, but I did it! It really helps having a training program to go by, because I kept thinking, "I can't get behind on the program!!" That's about the only thing that kept me going. 6 miles sure seems a lot farther than 5.5 somehow. Oops, I hear the kidlets yammering for dinner. Have a good evening! Teresa
                            dg.

hi! Teresa... first, congratulations!! I remember my first 6 mile run, it was really hard for me too. I have to say one thing. (one long, drawn out thing) -- I don't know you well enough to know if you have a problem with this kind of thing. but I get nervous when I hear you say you "can't get behind on the program". There's a fine line & everybody has to find it for themselves. but that's one reason I won't (nor Linda, I bet) won't join a pace bunny thing, because we push ourselves hard enough without it. I guess I'm just trying to say be careful. I got to where 6 wasn't a big deal, then did 6.78, could have done more but knew I should stop. planned on 7 the next week (sorry, an old story by now) & it just about killed me, but I continued because it was my plan & it shouldn't have been that hard anyway.. made 7.16, but shortly after is when I injured myself. if I could go back, I would!!! so, the next few days treat yourself with tlc, ok? & maybe no hill repeats on your next run. Wink. btw, you are noble & disciplined. speaking of Linda, {{{{{{{ }}}}}}}! sure, a phantom linda to tell me to stop when I ought. I'll just blow up a picture of you & prop it on my little shelf. -). Mike, I know, very surprising. Wink. ok, find a new gimmick for me. hey, looking back I just noticed you said you're running the half in columbus! yippee. course, I don't know now what I'm going to be able to do, but I haven't scrapped that plan yet. the full may be a bit much, but stubborn I remain. thanks, Eliz, that will help me. I've really having to force myself to do the pt exercises. I'm doing more pilates, callenetics, yoga, stability ball stuff, & less pt. I know that's probably not a good idea. but they're so limited! & if I do them first, I can't do anything else. Laurie, how are you doing? what are they having you do at pt? Jem, surviving the driving lessons? not an easy time. I ran around the back yard with sadie tonight. very little, & teeny steps because of the snow. teeny steps help a lot. it was the most beautiful evening for a run I can remember in a long time. wanted to go for a real one soooo much.

Me

Debbie, I didn't even realize that that is the one that you were planning on running. Do you think that the half might be more realistic to plan for? That's exciting. We can have a boomer newbie reunion. Smile Teresa, Nice job on the 6 miles. Congratulations. Mike