Masters Running

RR -- Boston or losing to Mr. Yellowband... (Read 496 times)

HermosaBoy

Well, I have been sitting back and reading (and enjoying) everyone's race reports and have been late in posting mine. Reader's Digest version Four Goals: 1. Finish Upright and Smiling -- Check 2. Help Brian run Sub 3 hours at worst -- Check 3. If everything goes right, 2:48:59 or better -- Oops 4. Beat Mr. Yellowband -- Oops... Final result -- 2:55:43 for my second fastest marathon ever. Not going to complain, just didn't work out that day. Slightly longer version: Came into the race feeling really good. Had done well in all the warm-up races and threw down a HUGH 5k PR the previous weekend. All systems are go! Beforehand, Brian and I had agreed to run the race according to effort which meant a bit faster on the downhills and a bit slower on the uphills. Great theory, not sure if it was a good idea (or maybe the fact that we didn't slow down enough on the ups had something to do with it). So, the race starts and it is CROWDED! Can't find any space to run. We are going in fits and starts and just can't get clear. Planned to hit the first mile in around 6:18 and came in at 6:47. Oh well, just shut up and run. Brian and I are working together, when we come to a water stop, one grabs a cup and the other stays in the center. We share the cup and then move on. After the first mile, we are hitting out splits. Nothing too exciting going on. Just trying to find space and run appropriately. Just past 7 miles, a large pack appears -- guess who's in the middle??? Yup, Mr. Yellowband and 30 or 40 of his closest friends taking up the whole road. ARGH -- Brian and I dropped a mile 6:10ish mile just to get around that clusterbuck!!! So, time to settle in and run. We are running well, hitting out splits, passing people and having fun. We pass through the scream tunnel around the halfway point -- the women did not disappoint. As we head into Newton, I start to notice a twinge. Nothing major, just a little tightness in my back right by my kidneys. Probably too much water. Keep running dummy. Still hitting our splits. As we start heading up Heartbreak, our buddy with 30 or 40 of his closest friends catches us. Angry Wouldn't be so bad except for the course photographers jumping out in front of us to try to get pictures. Brian takes a swing at one of them to avoid a collision and offers him a few choice words. At this point, the cramp in the back is getting worse. Before the race we had agreed if one of us starts feeling bad, we should give it one more mile and then let the other go. I marshal on and still crest Heartbreak right on pace. Unfortunately, that's when I had to walk. It just wasn't loosening up. I quietly told Brian to go on. He had some anger in him over the photographers and I was hoping he was going to use that to keep going hard. So, bottomline, was on pace through mile 22. Then when I had planned to pick it up, I had to back it off and throw in some walking. Was thinking of how great Brian was doing when I caught him at mile 23. He had gotten a stitch and could barely walk. I told him we only got one lake to go (one of the local lakes that we run a lot is around 5k long) and that he needs to slog it on in and stay under 3. To his credit, he gritted his teeth and we ran as best we could (while walking through the water stops) to the finish. At this point, I think Brian and I are more confused than disappointed. We ran the race we planned -- unfortunately, cramps and a stitch caused us to have to back off when we still had gas in the tank. Now to try to learn how to prevent this next time... Thanks for reading... Overall stats: 2:55:43 for a 6:42 pace 770th overall 1st place over 40 from Minnesota Wink AHR 158 and MAX of 176 (if you throw out the misread of 190 during the first mile). Photos: Brian and me @ 30k The finish:

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

King of PhotoShop

Rob, heck of a time despite the difficulty you encountered. Have you figured out what caused the back pain in that location? I would ask around about this because it's not one I am familiar with and it would be good to get it sorted out. Maybe others here have some ideas. As I have commented elsewhere, it's really hard to run a great race at Boston, but for an over-40 marathoners a race under 3 hours is superb. Well done. Spareribs
      HermosaBoy

Rob, heck of a time despite the difficulty you encountered. Have you figured out what caused the back pain in that location? I would ask around about this because it's not one I am familiar with and it would be good to get it sorted out. Maybe others here have some ideas. As I have commented elsewhere, it's really hard to run a great race at Boston, but for an over-40 marathoners a race under 3 hours is superb. Well done. Spareribs
        My GUESS at this point is that I did too much walking on Sunday and then it was basically the old back is connected to the glutes situation. From the upper calves to the back all were REALLY tight the next few days. Not the quads that one would expect from Boston...

Rob

Marathon Maniac #957

Too much walking on Sunday? That sounds familiar.... Smile That's still some great racing, fast guy!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Awesome race, too bad about the cramp and I agree with Spareribs that's an odd place... but too much walking around (and standing around maybe?) on Sunday could have a lot to do with it. Still... wow. Love how you kept running from you-know-who and his entourage.
              WOW - cramps, stitches, walk breaks and you still came in under 3 hours!! you are FAST!!!!! nice job - glad you made it around Mr Yellowband - have to admit i was a little slow to get that until you mentioned the pack he was with and the photographers!! congratulations!!

denise

Ahh. Geez. sounds like a great race till Newton - I had the same happen to me in '96 - hanging in there for a 2:55 is still pretty impressive and it sounds like a gutsy finish. FWIW, Tinman (from coolrunning) recommended salt tablets to avoid cramps and they have worked for me. - I used 3 for Boston in the hot weather and seemed to work. Oh - and congrats on your 16:45 5K.... I've never broken 17 although I tried a couple times and expect at this point I'll never do it. Ray
                HermosaBoy

Ahh. Geez. sounds like a great race till Newton - I had the same happen to me in '96 - hanging in there for a 2:55 is still pretty impressive and it sounds like a gutsy finish. FWIW, Tinman (from coolrunning) recommended salt tablets to avoid cramps and they have worked for me. - I used 3 for Boston in the hot weather and seemed to work. Oh - and congrats on your 16:45 5K.... I've never broken 17 although I tried a couple times and expect at this point I'll never do it. Ray
                  With your marathon time, you should get it. For me, it was very uncomfortable first mile and then just hanging on for the last 2.1... I might have to explore those salt tablets -- whatever it takes. So, we've licked our wounds and are plotting for the future... Next on the hit parade is Houston in January with a goal of 2 hours plus my age. Chicago 2009 is also being discussed, with a truly CRAZY goal... Shocked Surprised

Rob

I'm so glad I found you at the trials--really fun to see you and the Minn. folks. We want a rematch! Angry You can take him, I know it. Geez, Rob, great race, don't get me wrong--congrats! That's a tremendous time, but I know you had the YB marked and were in shape to take him. I hesitate to offer you any advice, but I had a problem on one side, up high and in back where the hamstring connects to the glute--I had an x-ray and 2 very dedicated PTs who got me back in shape. I have a loose SI joint, and it's in the area you describe--that joint can be tight as well, and I remember the PTs saying that is an easier problem to remedy, as they can give you specific stretches to get you on track fast. (I had to build up muscle, to tighten the looseness, and that takes more time.) What's next? [Modified to add: I do read before I post--I think your last post was in progress as I was posting. Nothing until Chicago? Why not a smaller one with less room for crowds cramping your speed?? Or, a rematch in NYC???] grins, A ps I really, really appreciated all your funny weather comments. At least there were no frogs!
                    Masters 2000 miles
                    HermosaBoy

ps I really, really appreciated all your funny weather comments. At least there were no frogs!
                      I think I saw some locusts.... Wink

Rob

Fabulous racing hermosaboy and did Mr. Yellowband throw down a 16:45 5k the weekend before????....NO! I love "watching" you race and am thrilled that you are hitting great times. I hope the lower back/kidney soreness was just walking and standing related. Your race schedule looks great and busy indeed. Congratulations on making it through some rough spots and coming in so well at Boston and then racing super fast today----I saw that! Awesome! FWIW---salt tablets have made a difference for me in my last marathons. I am a heavy sweater who used to fall prey to leg cramps and enough salt on my face for several large margaritas. I took 2 (6 total) at regular intervals and it seemed to make a big difference. Anyway...awesome running and here's hoping the racing season unfolds for you just as you wish! You'll get that 2:4x or 2:3x before long. Karin
                          Holy Moses......I think you suffered from the various plagues of Pharoah....frogs...locusts.....physical infirmities... That is an incredible race. We were watching and cheering for you from afar. Congratulations on a great run despite the problems. Thanks for the report. Joey
                          Vista
                          HermosaBoy

You'll get that 2:3x before long. Karin
                            Shhhh.... I am not ready to say that outloud yet. Blush

Rob

2:55:43 for a 6:42 pace 770th overall 1st place over 40 from Minnesota Wink
                              Yowsah! What a fantastic race. Sorry the cramp slowed you down, but I'm still in awe. Thanks for sharing the RR and the pics. Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

I am a heavy sweater who used to fall prey to leg cramps and enough salt on my face for several large margaritas.
                                Sorry for the hijack, but this turn of phrase cracks me up, CNY! I'm afraid I won't be able to listen to Jimmy Buffett any more without picturing you with a margarita glass pressed against your face while running Boston! Big grin Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com