Masters Running

Thursday 2/19 Winter is STILL here runs and such .... (Read 517 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

WINTER STORM WARNING! 'nuff said ..... I went home from work early yesterday with a bad headache that I just couldn't shake. Slept for an hour or so, and then went to bed at 8 pm. and slept all night long. I knew I wasn't going to try and get up for a run with the weather and all ..... plus I figured my body is telling me to rest. Feeling better so far so that's good! Smile Happy Thursday!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

No storm warning here ... ours come in hurricane season. The idea behind today's workout sort of escaped me as the target was to run 5 miles at 8:14 min/mile pace (after warm up and before cool down of course). That pace is slower than Tempo but faster than MP. Maybe it is a kind of introduction to the later Tempo runs which will be quicker. At any rate, I warmed up for 2 miles then eased into it. The next 5 miles ranged from 8:23 down to 8:00 with the average at 8:10, so a bit faster than target but okay. Then a 2 mile cool down. 1:18 overall time (8:29 pace). The HR during the middle 5 miles was a little higher than I'd like to see for a long race, so this pace would be too fast - but I already knew that. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning Mary Lou Smile...Glad you are feeling better. Again, nice running there Bill..you are doing fantastic Buddie No run for me last night as I worked 14 hours yesterday, and I was beat. But, slept like a baby last night and feel greta this morning, and will get a run in tonight after work. I am kinda taking the approach right now that I am not training for anything, but building base miles and having fun without any pressure.. Buuut saying that, I want to say this....would you all please tell me to slow the heck down, Like what I posted yesterday about my last mile being 6:56 pace on my last mile of 7...no need for that right now at all. Again, great job to our Tampster last night with her PR 5 miler Smile Smile Need to get some work done, have a good day everyone. TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Tim, pay attention to your breathing when you run. Keep it so you feel almost like you aren't breathing at all. You'll feel like you can run forever (ya pretty much could!) and your aerobic fitness will soar. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Renee the dog

Well my plan to run 3 on the treadmill last night was thwarted by unsettled sleep by my two kiddos. A rarity, so no big deal. Reworked my schedule and put in 2 uphill on the TM just now, and will do 2 more on the sand this afternoon with the kids and dog. Yipee! Weather is giving us a sand day! Good runs to all!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Hill Runner

Good morning all, ...So, I have to modify my usual route this morning because of the road closure and I had to backtrack and run back DOWN a hill I normally only run UP on my loop. It was dark & foggy and there wasn't much visibility and I have to tell you that sometimes running down a hill is a lot harder and scarier than running up it. I never quite understood that concept until this morning. Smile 10.43 MOH @ 9:11 pace...48F, sunny perfect spring morning....sorry Mary. Smile Good runs to all today!

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
              Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
              Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Good morning, all! Mary - glad the headache is behind you - don't blame you for skipping the run. Tim - I second Bill's breathing suggestion. MY favorites runs are those when I don't even notice my breathing - I do indeed feel like I can run forever. dg - how was the core dinner?? nono - what kind of treadmill did you get? DH and I are thinking about getting another one so we don't have to fight over the one we have right now. Next winter probably won't be so bad, and we'll be able to do more outside long runs, but this winter has been tough. Speaking of treadmills........9 easy miles on the TM this morning. Yoga scheduled for my lunch hour. I'm already contemplating savasana....... Good runs folks!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Marathon Maniac #3309

Bill, it's hard for me to explain. But even when I am running fast, I don't feel like I am breathing that hard at all. And only stopped at mile 7 to be on the safe side, but felt like I could have went on many many more miles...I was in the zone Smile. It may also be the fact that I am all giddy and excited about running again, and looking forward to training and running a Marathon again. I think I just need pay attention to my Garmin, and just maybe stick to around 8:45 to 9:00 pace for awhile during my base building miles, with a few speedy miles / striders here and there.. Oh yeah, good news too. As you all might remember awhile back, my foot doctor told me I should NOT be running yet because I could not do the stretches and exercises he wanted me to. I have been working on those, and I can now do alll of what he wanted....painfree Cool And I also switched back to my old Nikes running shoes, because they feel much better on my feet than my new model. Mariposai, I was singing...not necessarily Amazing Grace, but Brick House actually Smile. But Amazing Grace would be more appropriate though Wink TBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Mariposai

3 recovery miles pre-dawn. Mary, wise choice today. Bill is my inspiration. TIMMMMMMMM slow down........do what breger...the inspiration said to you. you should be able to be sing amazing grace all the way when doing your base building...right wise ones???

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Tim, What I said was to "feel almost like you aren't breathing at all". What you said was that you "don't feel like [you're] breathing that hard at all." Big difference. Bill PS: you started it. Wink All this from me - the guy who seems to be running MP's most every day. Roll eyes

Marathon Maniac #3309

Tim, What I said was to "feel almost like you aren't breathing at all". What you said was that you "don't feel like [you're] breathing that hard at all." Big difference. Bill PS: you started it. Wink All this from me - the guy who seems to be running MP's most every day. Roll eyes
                        Oh, after I settle into a more regular run schedule again, I will be fine and run how I know I should...really. I have this problem sometimes thinking...if I can run fast, then why not...but know that is wrong. I am really amazed too, that after almost 3 months off running, I didn't lose near as much fitness as I thought I would...but that is kewl though. Tim

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Erika – was the snow as bad as predicted? 8” would be a lot here, too. Evryday – send some of that lovely weather up Ohio way, would you? Mariposai – way to tough out those impressive intervals yesterday. I don’t think I can keep up with you any more...Smile Tammy – congratulations on your 5-mile PR! Re breathing – I huff and puff like a freight train, no matter what my pace. No lung capacity, I guess. 20° and winds gusting to 37 mph when I got up this morning, and I just wasn’t in the mood, so I got on the TM instead. I felt strangely low-energy again, for no reason I could fathom (didn’t do anything out of the norm yesterday), so I did some random intervals and got a good workout in, I think, judging by the perspiration level, although I kept having to hop off to walk around the garage and catch my breath near the end, so my endurance was minimal. Felt like I was back to square one. meh Dead 7 miles total

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Bill, that real easy breathing is a good point. I've never been good at talking while running.. same concept. But then I run alone so no practice. But I remember my last half marathon, I'm sounding like a choo choo train and these guys stayed just ahead of me the whole way just a jabbering away through their sub 1:40 finish.. it was actually quite annoying Smile I was thinking, if they were breathing like me how fast would they finish? Recently, I've been doing 800m track repeats and there I found I could hit my times better if I relaxed the breathing and avoided short huffing breaths. I think sometimes I run tempos with short huffy breaths just to keep a rythm going and it has nothing to do with oxygen exchange? It mentally keeps a tempo effort going. 5 breathless miles with Tory in 48:08 (9:48 ace, AHR 140) Where's Tramps? Tim.. slow down

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Mariposai what was Woodstock you ask? Technically an outdoor concert that got rained on in upstate New York that sort of got out of control. For a few days recreational drugs were de facto legal. There were numerous bands that played many already famous and many that would become so. The whole affair was so large and well covered by the press that it became a cultural icon. But, in reality is was sort of the last hurrah for what might be though of as the flower power movement. Another event like this never occur ed again despite many attempts to recreate it. My take has always been that once the draft ended and thus eliminated the chance that those in college could wind up in the military they (the students that propelled the movement) stopped being, well, quite so moved. They then went back to doing what most people that age do which is study, party and . . . err . . . practice reproducing. Wink Anyway, that is my short version reading of the history. It is not one that is universally accepted. Others, likely here, have vastly different takes on the whole thing. Spareribs I had no idea you came from New York state! So how did a Yankee like you end up in Texas? hopeful4ever glad you feel better. Here in CT they are reporting a spike in flu cases. Happy to read that is clearly not what you have. breger1 who knows maybe your MP is 6:00/mile and you are running your daily runs really slow. Just saying . . . Big grin biketm ok slow down. Now you can get back to ignoring that. Wink nonoruns uphill, downhill, flat on a TM I put it all in the same category -- yech! Peter NC another nice midweek double digit run. SueT48 see TM note above! Dead Holly S. see most people are unaware of this hidden "feature" built into all TM by their evil creators. It somehow sucks the life out of you making each step feel like ten. You should recover in a day or two. Clowning around perchcreek nice sort of recovery run. Well recovery distance . . . Nothing to report here. No running. Duh! No gym. Just stalling while I am busy trying to get myself to write code. Later on I head into NYC for a conference and post conference dinner. That means getting home late. But, fortunately, this conference is part of a series and quite interesting. Well, to those of you interested in the details of how security markets function it is interesting! Not sure about how interesting sane people would find it. Smile

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

dg.

Mary, too bad about your headache. Sue, it was a bit crunchy. Wink I know you said you don't mind it so much, but I'm still impressed by your treadmilling. "...already contemplating savasana.....". I'm following your example. Byll, are you still doing the FIRST plan? Holly, I'm low energy today too. I hate that. Last night, core crunches, (besides dinner), along with the whole program. I like it a lot. This morning, I just did a half hour of my usual combo, will finish tonight. I had to get to work early, & slept later than usual. Back to the gym tomorrow after taking yesterday off. I'm having a hard time working up my enthusiasm, which really isn't like me. I'm hoping it's just getting used to this...well, we'll call it a short break.. The mind is a funny thing. I get it all nicely adjusted, and then there's a sneak attack of Angry Cry No Tight lipped. Anybody else have trouble getting enthusiastic about the elliptical?? mta... hiya Twocat. You're right. I went to one of those attempts to recreate Woodstock. We, um, had a good time. But almost none of the bands even showed up. It did rain. We're almost twins now..... (except I'm older, slower, & have more estrogen). I'm doing just what you're doing, or close enough. . not running, & stalling while I am busy trying to get myself to write code Thanks for your cheerful good example. At least I get to go to the gym. sorry I was such a whiner.