Masters Running

What are my chances for qualifying for Boston? (Read 483 times)

huskydon

Flush from a great half marathon, that question pops into my head "What are my chances of qualifying for the Boston Marathon?" and I would love to hear feedback from my friends here. I am guessing if I up my training to 5 days/ 36 miles a week for a few months, and then embark on a marathon training program, I have maybe a 25% of making it. I think I have to run 20 -30 sec/ mile faster than my current speed. If you would disagree on my chances, I would love to hear of it. Currently, my plan is to wait until I run a 1:45 (or so) HM (yeah, dream on) and if that happens, then transition to a 6 – 8 month marathon training program. Here are what I think are the pertinent facts. • I turned 54 this past February. I am thinking about the possibility of qualifying at the age 55 standard (3:45). My race times have improved somewhat since I turned 50 (when I started running again). • I have run two marathons, but they were back in the 1970’s (poorly trained, my best time was 4:11:15) • My best race times are 23:19 (5K, 10/07), 48:43 (10K, 3/08), 1:49:53 (HM, 5/08). The 5K time is a bit soft. I would guess that currently I should be able to run a 23 minute 5K and a 1:48 HM (on flat course). • I currently run 4 times a week, around 30 miles with a long run of 12 miles and have been pretty steady with this pattern for the last six months or so and it has worked out good for me. In the last few years, I ran 923 miles (05), 917 miles (06), 1028 miles (07), 1229 miles (08) and am on track to run 1400 miles this year. I probably could go to five times a week and 36 miles/ week as a base fairly easily, but it would take some time. • I am relatively injury free. I had two bouts of ITBS in 2006, but am recovered. Both bouts seemed to occur as I was upping my mileage and doing longer long runs. I feel though, that I know enough now so that this shouldn’t be a concern. • I don’t think I should/ can lose any weight. I am 5’10” and 130 pounds. • I have never been very fast. When I was 23, I ran three 10K’s (best time 44:39) and tried to break a six minute mile (6:11 was the closest I got). • I don’t think my running form is very good (e.g. my brother says he can recognize me running from far off), have never been formally coached, and I have sense that my technique could be improved. (for example, in all of my race pictures, my feet look like they are barely off the ground). • I could travel a bit to find a good marathon to qualify at (probably would be CIM in Sacramento if I travelled, otherwise it would be the Surf City marathon in Southern California) • Although I would love to qualify and go to Boston, I don’t feel like I have to. In other words, I am not as driven as some other people about these things. I think the main questions I have are: How much faster could I get with more miles? Could I get any improvement with formal coaching? I would be happy to answer any other questions to assist you in this idle speculation. Thanks for reading and for the history of support.
    xor

If you choose to get to a 1:45 half, that's fine... but not necessary. If you can run a 1:48 half right now, you've got the chops. You just need to increase your distance... and that comes through more miles. Weeks and weeks and months of more miles. Easy miles. I think it is 75-99% likely you can get to 3:45 assuming you can run consistently over your training period. Keep in mind that 6-8 month marathon training programs are hard to find in books because 1) it's easy to lose focus over so long a period and 2) people want the 'quick fix', so 12-18 week plans sell more books. If you CAN stick with it for 8 months, this is more goodness for you. So what's that 1-25% which might get in your way? Goofy health issues and unplannable real life stuff. But without knowing anything (certainly not enough!) about you, I'm a-gonna guess that you can, oh yes, you can. 1:48 is goodness!

Prince of Fatness

How much faster could I get with more miles?
        Try not to think of it as getting faster, but rather holding the speed you have for a longer period of time. In this case twice as long. More miles will certainly help you there. I'm not sure what else you have going on but if you can squeeze a 6th day of running into the week it would help. ... and what srlopez said.

Not at it at all. 

evanflein

I think you can do it, just gotta be determined. I really can't add anything to what srlopez said... that's all good stuff.

#artbydmcbride

It is absolutely certain that if you start a marathon training program, you can do it. You have the natural speed and the ability to do it. Smile The only real question is will you transition to running the extra miles the training will require?

Runners run

Remember that this is coming from a slowpoke with one 10-mile race under her shoes, and that I'm probably still in teacher mode, under a mistaken assumption that some day one of my lectures might actually inspire a kid but here goes anyway: If you don't try, you chances of qualifying for Boston are zero, right? Wink Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

"older but not dead yet"

Miles, more miles , then run more miles. Also read up on Arthur Lydiard. His training philosophy fits your needs at where you are in terms of running. I feel that people who lack natural speed can compensate by upping their weekly volume of miles, since this allows you to carry whatever speed you do have over a longer distance. Your ht. and wt. are perfect for running long distances. You can even swap out doing speed work by doing 1 or 2 races a month. Remember, your goal is to run a marathon faster, therefore endurance is the key factor. I can nearly guarantee that if you could get up to and run 60-65 mile weeks, you'll get your 3:45 just off of distance work. Last thing, even though you'll be doing more miles, try to run them at a steady clip rather than a "survival" pace. Alex
                Seeking the interface between the cerebral and the visceral.
                  A sensible plan with more miles will do the trick. I also agree with srlopez that you can achieve this goal if you train yourself over at least a 6 month period. Start with smaller incremenets of mileage added on to your current approach and then keep adding to a reasonable level for your body. A local coach and a training plan for a trial 3 months would be great. Find one you really enjoy and have the same philosophy with and as they get to know you and your running they will adjust the plan based on what they see of you. I would also focus on running economy. Coach can help here to. But over 26 miles this can have quite an effect on your body and to a lesser extent pace. Slight downhill repeats and uphill repeats can dramatically increase your posture, leg turnover,and style while at the same time adding a bit more speed. But it would be great to have someone help you do these so they can focus on your form so that moving forward on all runs you keep those in check. On my ez runs I always try and focus on form and smoothness so I can eliminate all those useless energy losses. Good luck Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Husky - I bet you’re in better shape than when you ran your first marathon back in whenever it was. However, just to get a feel for it, why don't you run your heart out with your brothers in the June Green River Marathon Relay part and just keep going at an LSD training pace to get the idea of nutrition/hydration for the marathon distance again. See you there? ps - if you really want to BQ, maybe change your name to mariposai. Big grin

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

At 130 lbs. I assume the "husky" is humorous, right? Anyway, I am 58, so have the same qualifying time, though I am about to be given a generous extra 15 minutes when I turn 60. I ran a half on a hilly course, in rain, last Sunday in 1:43:25, so it seems my challenge is to build up the endurance to hold at least close to that pace for twice the distance, same as you! I did a 20 mile run last summer and took 3:11, which is not very promising, but it was a training run not a race, and I am fitter now than I was then. So the answer, for both of us, seems to be that we must build up to about 55 miles per week (as per my new Pfitzinger book), and avoid injury while doing so. In my case a lack of commitment to consistently building up mileage is a big obstacle: you will have to make a similar realistic assessment (you have already listed your strengths and weaknesses). I think for both of us the problem is that 1400-1500 miles a year is not going to do the job. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Go Huskies! Go huskydon! I take great interest in this thread b/c my situation is analogous (except I need to lose 4 lbs). I have a 1:50:00 HM done, but that was 1.5 years ago. This year (including Sunday) I've run 3 HM's in the 1:53 range. As people point out, it is not a slam dunk for me to run a 4:00 marathon....I just need to gradually increase the miles so I can extend the HM stamina farther out....

King of PhotoShop

Don, I wrote to you offline, but I am in general agreement with srl on this. The good news is that you are wisely taking some extra time to build up to your goal, and this is a big deal, believe me. I haven't the slightest doubt you can do it. Spareribs
                          Tramps

I refrained from responding to this one because I just don't have the experience or knowledge base. But I've enjoyed reading the responses and want to wish you the best! Sounds like the more experienced folks think it's very doable with a good plan so go for it!

Be safe. Be kind.

HermosaBoy

I vote 3:41ish -- EASY!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

I'd want to see that HM time down to at least 1:46 before I would give you a reasonable chance to run a 3:45 marathon. The reality is that relatively few runners run marathon times faster than what their shorter races project. The calculators say mid 1:46's but they assume something close to optimal marathon training. That's the bad news. The good news is that you WILL end up running a half marathon at least that fast if you execute the plan you have outlined. No one can say for sure just how much you will improve, but in all probability it will be significant. I like the idea of building the mileage up to 36 mpw and holding it there for a while before beginning your marathon training. You have allowed ample time to get yourself in great shape, imo. The only question is the same one that we all have, which is whether we will be fortunate enough to make it through the training. It usually takes a lot of dedication and determination combined with a little luck. There is no doubt that this is a goal you are capable of achieving. Enjoy the journey. ETA: I checked out the Surf City and it looks like a good one. It got me thinking about it. The Web site is nice and reviews on marathonguide.com were very good.
                                Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33