Masters Running

40/40 Thread for Week Ending 12/29/13 (Read 18 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

For those of you who are new, this is the 40/40 thread, for people who are over 40 years old who run 40 miles/week or more. We give Free Passes to those who come really close or try really hard...

Here’s what I have for last week's tally.

Who

Miles

Commentary

IBleedUnionBlue

Big running continues

Alexander

Doing a lot of TM myself lately

SubDood

Record mileage again

C-R

Even with travel

Orange Mat

Hiyah!

Shipo

Nicely done!

Opie

Family stuff is more important

Mike E

Free Pass

Recovery week

Holly

Free Pass

I need one now and again

Tramps

??

Sunkid

Free Pass

No problem

No real plan for the holiday week. Just playing it by ear but hoping for some extra miles.

Day

Plan

Actual

Commentary

Monday

4-6 miles

5.5 miles

Easy pace

Tuesday

0-3 miles

2.5 miles

Plus weights and core

Wednesday

miles

6 miles

Easy pace

Thursday

miles

7.3 miles

Easy pace

Friday

miles

14 miles

Long run

Saturday

miles

8 miles

Recovery pace

Sunday

miles

7.2 miles

Easy pace

Total

50.5 miles

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

Thanks Holly. I'm in.

MTA - 76.4

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Latent Runner

As I was ramping my mileage up last summer to north of the 200 mile per month threshold (for the first time in my life), I found myself wondering if I could beat my best mileage year by 1,000 miles.  Per my log, I am 58.8 miles shy of 1,700 miles which will put me at that magic 1K beyond my 1979 high water mark year of 700 miles.  The weather forecast is good enough that I might just pull this off.  Smile

Day

Plan

Actual

Commentary

Monday

8 miles

8 miles

The cemetery was the safest place to run today; freezing rain fell during the first two miles and again during the last mile, yeah, I was a little crusty when I finished.  Smile

Tuesday

8 miles

4.8 miles

Only had time to do three quick laps around the cemetery, then on to Christmas Eve dinner with the family.   

Wednesday

8 miles

0 miles

Geez, missed yet another day; oh well, had a great Christmas anyway. 

Thursday

8 miles

10 miles

Hmmm, 10 miles in the cemetery when it was 9°F and foggy!  I didn't even know it could get foggy that far below freezing. 

Friday

8 miles

12 miles

Tried the snowmobile trail for the first time since last Sunday; the conditions were nearly perfect. 

Saturday

8 miles

16 miles

With yet another winter storm bearing down on us for sometime tomorrow, I figured I'd better get as many miles in the bank as possible.  The snow on the snowmobile trail was about as good as it can get for running on any kind of a snowy/slippery surface; looking forward to spring and some good old fashioned high-traction mud running.  Smile 

Sunday

8 miles

12 miles

Managed to sneak in an even dozen on the snowmobile trail before the precipitation (initially as freezing rain) stared, capping off what might be my best 4-day stretch (from a mileage perspective) of my life. 

Total

56 miles 

62.8 miles

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
        • 2-mile: 13:49
        • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
        • 5-Mile: 37:24
        • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
        • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
        • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

MM #7877

Here is my week...

M - 13 miles on the TM while watch my Blue Jackets win against Carolina!

T - 12 miles. TM. Most miles w/ TM set to 7.1, 7.2. Watching "A Christmas Story" on TBS.

W - Run 1: 6.1 miles.

W - Run 2: 5 miles.

T - 1.9 miles jogged mapping a trail plus 45 minutes ice skating.

T - 11 miles evening jog.

F - 17.1 miles. Enjoying the slight warmup.

S - 9.5 miles. Still enjoying weather.

S - 10.1 miles.

Total - 85.7 miles for the week. And I will finish the year over 2500 miles for the 1st time in my lifetime.

Philippians 4:13.

SubDood

Thanks, Holly! I'm in.

Week 8 of 10-week base-building phase (phase 1 of 5, leading up to Boston in April):

Day

Plan

Actual

Commentary

Monday

13.0 miles

13.8 mi aerobic (~8:06), treadmill (Boston course simulation)

Tuesday

8.5 miles

9.0 mi easy fartlek ... probably on a treadmill

Wednesday

14.5 miles

10.1 mi aerobic (~8:30 pace) ... probably on a treadmill snow, wind, and cold -- glorious outdoor run!

Thursday

5.5 miles

5.5 mi jog (~10:15 9:15 pace) ... probably on a treadmill

Friday

11.0 miles

11.8 mi out-n-back (~8:00 7:42 pace) ... probably on a Treadmill 

Saturday

17.5 miles

18.0 mi long run (~8:30 8:04 pace) ... hopefully NOT on a Treadmill. Beautiful outdoor run.

Sunday

7.5 miles

7.8 mi aerobic/jog (~10:00 pace) ... probably on a Treadmill

Total

77.5 miles

76.0 miles

Week 8

Mostly treadmill miles due to winter in Minnesota. [On 12/28, high temps reached +45 deg F! On 12/29, low temp is expected to hit -15 deg F by midnight.] On the plus side, I set another weekly mileage record, went past 2,620 miles (distance of 100 marathons), and also exceeded 300 miles for December (first time ever). I'm winding down a year of running that far exceeded my expectations. Happy New Year!

If I could have run up to 50 miles last week, this week wouldn't be so tough.  Still chasin' the bunny.

Monday...........short run at roughly marathon pace......................done - 5.4 miles

Tuesday..........as many miles as possible with everything going on...done - 10.5

Wednesday.....Christmas break....................................................done - 0

Thursday.........run twice again like Tues. for 12-13 miles.............done - 12.6

Friday..............8 miles...................................................................done - 8.1

Saturday.........14 miles...................done - 13.8, only about a mile behind the bunny

Sunday............probably a short run..............................................done - 5.97

Total...............55?.........................................................................56.3 miles, the highest week this year!

I have looked at some of your logs and am in awe of your annual miles, as I close in on 2,000.  My goal for next year is 2,014.  Let's do this!

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Mike E

MM #5615

Thanks Holly.  I wish I could figure out how to cut and paste in here, now.  Anyway, here's the plan...although, I'm not following it exactly because I'm still kind of recovering...

Day         Plan            Actual          Comments

Mon.        8 easy             8                1:05:49

Tue.        10 (6 x 1)          9                1:04:41 (6x1 @ 6:40)

Wed.           Rest.            0

Thu.        12 (8 tempo)      8               56:26 (6 under 6:50)

Fri.            7 easy            8               1:02:55

Sat.          8 easy           16               1:55:40

Sun.        16 long             6                50:15 on the treadmill

Total       61                   55

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Can't seem to copy and paste a table on my iPad, so here's what I've done this week unformatted. We're away on vacation in Puerto Rico, where it's been 90F and humid all day! Hope everyone had a nice Christmas, and best wishes to all for a very Happy New Year!

Monday - 7 miles easy w/ fartleks

Tuesday - off (travel day)

Wednesday - 10 miles (first run in PR, hot and no shade!)

Thursday - 4 miles recovery (half on the beach)

Friday - 8.5 miles, should've been tempo but I just couldn't hack it Sad

Saturday - 10.2 miles "long" run

Sunday - off (just need the extra rest, oh well)

total = 39.7, so I'm going to need a pass this week; well it IS vacation after all! Smile

Alexander R

Mon 9 mi (1:18) treadmill

Tue 14.1 mi (2:01)

Wed 11.7 mi (1:36)

Thu 13.1 mi (1:45) treadmill

Fri 9 mi (1:16) treadmill

Sat 9.7 mi (1:21)

Sun 10 mi (1:19) treadmill

Total: 76 miles ( 10 hrs 35 min)