Masters Running

Friday, October 10 end o' the week daily (Read 38 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning, all.  Guess I'll attempt to sneak in before Jay and others.

7 and a skootch in IRC.  Mostly full moon was high in the sky when I started, but there were still some stars to be seen in the clear sky.  It felt nice.

Now comes the fun weekend which involves a rental truck, several stops to pick up furniture, and then moving DD into her new apartment in Portland, ME.  She's decided to stay East for the next year and will be getting evicted from the camp when we close up for the season in a couple of weeks (no water or plowing within a 1/4 mile makes it a bit tough to over winter there).  Then I need to find three hours to run on Sunday.  Ought to be interesting.

Happy weekend.  Hope all your runs and races feel good.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

coastwalker

Mornin' Stumpy and everyone to follow!

Good luck with all you have on your plate this weekend, Stumpy! Think of moving as 'cross-training.'

coastwalker me too on the OPP front!  As to your noon vigil today, if you are waiting for sea levels to rise enough for that King tide to become a typical day at the beach you may have a pretty long wait!  According to Wikipedia sea levels have risen about about 1.8 mm (0.1 in) per year over the past 100 years (I have no idea how accurate that figure really is but I am going with it for now).  Your figure of 2' is 24" and at 0.1" per year you have about 240 years to go.  I hope to be around to see it through!  More seriously, I hope nobody's home in the area gets flooded.

Twocat, you are right - it is going to take a very long time for the sea to rise 2 ft. However, the issue is that the rate of sea level rise appears to be increasing. A lot of people relate that to the increase speed of melting of the polar ice caps. I don't know what the cause is. There are also more frequent, more intense rain storms. It is when one combines a slightly higher sea level with storm surges and increased amounts of rain from those storms that the impacts add up and become more meaningful/devastating. Yesterday was a sunny, breezy day with a very calm ocean. So all we had was a very high tide. With just that, I saw roads that were completely covered with water, and properties where the yard surrounding a house was completely under water. Huge swaths of the salt marsh were also completely flooded. In low-lying areas, the combination of a half inch higher sea level, with an intense storm at high tide has the potential to be much more damaging than that same storm today.

"Nother late meting last night, and I slept a bit late this morning, so no workout today, and I'm not happy about it. I'm also having car troubles, and I have more work to do today than I have time for. This is not the way I wanted to end the week, but I guess it is the way I will end the week, so I'll just say "so it goes" and move on.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

King of PhotoShop

Good morning Jay and Stumpy.  Good luck with the move Stumpy.  Lots of fun.

I'm reading a book about some game warden in the State of Maine, a series similar to the Joe Pickett series in Montana.  Pretty good.

The Saint and I ran an easy 2 miles, partly as recovery from the track yesterday and partly because we have so many miles in this week, and with 6 scheduled tomorrow, we'll both be a bit over our normal weekly goal.

Still struggling with the template of this facilitator guide I'm writing, so last night decided I would write the whole thing the way it ought to be written, let the graphic designer do the best she can to make it consistent with the client's demands, then let the client tell me what's right or wrong.  I am fortunate to have the best graphic designer on the planet, which is good.  She is Canadian, a terrific runner, and has a "Snowy" nickname, or handle.  Perhaps some of you know her?    Spareribs

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning Jay and Stumpy.  Good luck with the move Stumpy.  Lots of fun.

I'm reading a book about some game warden in the State of Maine, a series similar to the Joe Pickett series in Montana.  Pretty good.

Morning, back, Ribs.  what's the name of the book (series)?  DW and I are always looking for books like that.

Also know what you mean about the choice of doing things the way the client wants or the right way.  We've had several good sized projects that were presented to us to bid on and the response was basically "that's very nice, but how about we do it the it should be done?" (and save you some money, too)

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

King of PhotoShop

Stumpy, I picked up "The Bone Orchard" by Paul Doiron because the jacket said it was an Edgar Award finalist, which is a great way to find books by the way.  But read what Goodreads has to say. Many of his books are award-winners:

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/3090113.Paul_Doiron

Spareribs

Mariposai

Friday is here! I am so glad I survived the week. I am working only half a day today, then the Easy Pacer and i will travel to Chelan for some wine tasting, relaxing on the lake and just enjoying the afternoon. After a monster week I am so ready for it.

8 moonshine miles with my rocking RP.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Ribs, are you a Goodreads member? Several others here are, but I couldn't find you under any of your known aliases. I'm currently reading The Goldfinch and am getting to the point where I feel like cashing it in, but having already invested 500 pages of reading, I almost feel obligated now to finish the last 250!

Nice morning runs for stumpy and Our Butterfly Lady as well.

I joined the crowd with a nice 7.2 miler in IRC with a couple of guys and one Jack Russell terrier (who seemed the least worn out of the group at the end). Every year at this time I seem to have to relearn exactly what to wear for given conditions, but today I hit it spot on and was comfortable all the way.

Good luck to any weekend racers!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

King of PhotoShop

I sure did enjoy my first meeting with Mariposai and the Easy Pacer at Lake Chelan some years ago.  Have fun.  Lovely place.

Roch, no I am not Goodreads member.  Should I be?  Thanks for the tip.  Spareribs

Dave59

Another 3 miles on the rolling hills in the Tallahassee sun and humidity this morning. I may look for a 5k next weekend to see if 2 weeks of running here has made me stronger. My only problem has been that I don't have time for longer runs.

TammyinGP

good morning!

Enjoy the rest and relaxation this weekend Mari!

Hope the moving goes well stumpy.

4 miles yesterday. i'm so out of shape. ughhh.

busy weekend for us. homecoming football tonight, then david has to be back at the school in the a.m. to help with set up for the homecoming dance. then back to the school in the evening for the dance. wonder if he'll get the nerve today to ask the girl that he wants to go to the dance with?  and then i'm on clean-up crew from about 11-1 a.m.  I'm thinking a nap might be in order tomorrow afternoon.

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

whew, tammy. are you training for some 24-hour somewhere?
                        After all this week’s urgent advice on tapering, sleeping, pre-and-post race nutrition, etc. as if tomorrow’s 5K was a major competitive marathon (MCM) somewhere,  today’s e-mail advisory announces complimentary espresso carts featuring lattes, mochas and americanos and a post run party with complimentary food trucks, beer garden and music by the  Hit Explosion band.
                        I suppose my 83-yo IM mentor’s all recovered from all his bumps and bruises from having his car totaled two days before last month’s Labor Day Marathon when I finally beat him for the first time in 27 years. Maybe I can divert him into the beer garden before the race starts.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

C-R

Hey all.

The sea may be rising but our lakes sure aren't.

Just returned from another DC trip. Had a great time catching some dinner and a beer with an old HS friend. He just opened his own consulting firm and is enjoying the change of pace. He's retired Army with numerous tours overseas. Managed a few miles too in some really nice weather. Glad to be home.

DS1 has his county XC meet tomorrow and the team wants to add this title to go with state. Anxious for him. Oh and they have a soccer tournament too. Plenty to keep everyone occupied. And DS1 and I are racing XC on Sunday in the new USATF State series.

I just started a new book as well on the flight home. "What go you here won't get you there." Interesting so far.

Good luck with the move Stumpy and great racing everyone that is.

Cheers all.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Marathon Maniac #957

Stumpy - good luck with your busy weekend.

Mariposa - sounds like you have had a tough week.  I hope your weekend is relaxing and peaceful.

Ribs - thanks for the tip.  I am busy enough that I seem to work my way through books more slowly these days, but I always have a couple going, and audio books to listen to while running.

On that note, we went to the annual book sale of the Dayton Metro Library system last week.  The place was packed, many people pulling carts and rolling luggage so they could fill them with books.  Hardbacks were $1 apiece, and we stocked up ourselves, making several trips to the car to unload our heavy bags.  DS and I (the readers in the family) are ready for Mexico!

12 easy paced miles for me this morning in 52 degrees.  The wonky knee is off and on.  I will be trotting along, not a peep, then suddenly OW OW OW from the knee.  Walk a few paces, then it is fine.  After 5 miles it was suddenly very painful and, while I kept trying to run after a few walking paces, it was actually about a half mile before I could run again.  Then suddenly, no pain at all for the rest of the run.  Afterward, slightly sore going downstairs, but otherwise not bad.  Very strange.

We're having a small dinner party tonight, two other couples coming, so I have been cleaning and tidying a bit after putting in my computer time this morning.  Nothing fancy on the menu, sautéed chicken breasts with pesto cream sauce, oven-roasted potatoes, carrots, onions and cauliflower, salad with balsamic vinaigrette, crusty bread with goat cheese, and my cinnamon apple cake (which is baking right now), plus our friends are bringing appetizers.

I harvested the last of my garden carrots and onions today to use, and this weekend I will probably harvest the rest of my garden basil and make and freeze pesto sauce.  Time to put the garden to bed.

Ribs (or anyone) do you know if the electric outlets in Mexico are the same as ours, or do I need to get an adapter?  Maybe a silly question but I've not been out of the country before.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

You won't need a new adapter for travel to Mexico Holly. It's the same in Canada and Mexico as it is in U.S.. You may need to buy a different data package for your phone and any other electronics (iPAD?) you take with you however. You can get a limited time data bundle from your carrier, otherwise you'll get slammed with really high roaming fees depending on your tele/data plan.

Ran 7 miles with ultra-Amy this morning--bike path and trails at the college under a beautiful moon-lit morning sky. We almost didn't need our headlamps. She paced her husband during the last 20 miles of a 100 miler in VA last weekend (he was 2nd) and they are both running Massanuttin in early November. Yowsa. I am happily retired from 50 milers. Where's MikeE anyway?! Nice mellow run this morning and a chance to catch up on local chatter.

Looks like a good XC weekend for many here. Mr CNYrunner and I are going to be spectators at a college xc invitational (both our alma maters will field teams) and I am excited to cheer and just watch. My next XC jaunts will be on 10/26 and 11/9. Can't wait!

Hope the weekend goes well stumpy!

Happy weekend to all

Hi folks!!  Last run of the season in Maine for me today - 8.5 miles with 3 miles at tempo pace and .2 recovery x 2 sets with a mile warmup and 1.3 cool down.  Felt great - so sad this is our last night in the campground though!! I'd love to stay until Monday, but with going to Boston for the BAA 1/2 Sunday it doesn't make sense to drive back and forth to Maine just to pack it all up on Monday.

Just found out a friend's granddaughter was born at the precious age of only 23 weeks - she is fighting to stay alive and all prayers and positive thoughts are appreciated.

Enjoy your weekend my friends and cherish the gift!!

denise