Masters Running

Mt. Hood 50 Race Report - Finally! (Read 361 times)

Leslie, what an awesome race report.  You are a tough runner.  Congrats on your PR!  I am curious as to how the altitude change affected you during the race.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Tammy - If you can do any of your training at Mt. Ashland, it would be very beneficial.  I already have a love/hate relationship with the 50k and would have to conquer a 50-miler by myself at lower elevation before trying that monster.

Starr - When you live at sea level, running at elevation is tough because of the lack of oxygen, and a sea level dweller's body isn't used to it.  For me, it affects everything from breathing to an increase in exertion.  I felt fuzzy-headed quite a bit on the first out/back loop, sort of like my head was full of cotton (no comments from the peanut gallery Evil), and it was more of an effort just to move, pick up my feet, etc.  The first loop is strewn with rocks and roots, and I stubbed my toes so many times it was ridiculous and I was surprised I never went down.  SOB, which Tammy talked about, always kills me.  With the 50k, there's only about 4200 feet of elevation gain/loss, but it starts at 6500 feet and climbs from there.  Perfect conditions for Wildchild! Big grin

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Here is my favourite line:

"You know from the onset there’s going to be a certain amount of suck to such a
        distance. You just have to be prepared to take it on, but also prepared to get
        rid of it as soon as possible."

Leslie, you are awesome.  I would love to meet you someday.  You'd kick my butt on the trails, but I'd still love it.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

More kudos.  You seem to like pain, but not too much, so you're a natural ultra runner.  50k is my longest, and it truly is a baby ultra in comparison to 50 mi.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Thanks again for all your wonderful comments, peeps.  I hope you know that you guys were with my every step of the way.  The support I've received here for everything has meant more than you'll ever know.

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Thanks again for all your wonderful comments, peeps.  I hope you know that you guys were with my every step of the way.  The support I've received here for everything has meant more than you'll ever know.

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Wow!  Thanks for the great race report!   I loved reading it.  Congratulations on the huge PR.   Keep that good friend of yours!

Marathon Maniac #957

You know from the onset there’s going to be a certain amount of suck to such a
                  distance. You just have to be prepared to take it on, but also prepared to get
                  rid of it as soon as possible

I love that!

What a great report!  And a 40-minute PR - AWESOME!  50 miles is a tough, tough distance, and you are an amazing runner to not just go the distance, but do it with all that climbing and descending.  GREAT JOB!!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Just got around to reading your blog. I am HUGELY impressed, as I always am at people that can go so far beyond what I (and most people!) could ever take on. You are one helluva runner, Leslie!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Thanks, peeps.  I really appreciate the comments. Smile

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance