Masters Running

The Monday Daily, 6.23.14 (Read 42 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Sounds (and looks) like a great meetup in Beantown yesterday with CNY and the kiddo, Marj and Henrun, and Deeze! Congrats to all on great racing; to Henry & Marj on their AG hardware; and to Denise on her huge PR! Marj & Henry, I hope you have a great time on the Cape.

Nice job of finishing off another cupcake, Dave. 3 more to go?

Good to see Tramps getting back to longer runs with some MP mixed in - keep up the good work.

Cute photo, Mike! I'm sorry you got sick, but am glad you seemed to have recovered quickly. Seems like you had a busy day planned for yesterday!

TomW, you should write a book of your adventures (real and imagined), especially those on the bike.

Thanks for the update on Amy's Grandma's Marathon finish, Subdood. A runner from here finished 14th and qualified for the Olympic Trials, which was his goal for Grandma's.

CNY, your trip to Nova Scotia sounds terrific! We took the ferry from Portland once, but that was about 20 years ago, and it wasn't too expensive back then. We haven't been back to NS in quite a while, and that is our loss.

Nice return on your Grand Marquis, Holly. Good luck with the new car, whatever you buy. We'll never buy a new car again - we get so much more value with a used car, even if it is only 1-2 years old. We also bought our last car at a "here's our price" place. It's different, but the process is so much more pleasant when you don't have to do the negotiation dance.

Nice recovery run, Enke. Mariposai is right, and you should put on that 26.2 sticker: You've earned it!

I'd likely sleep through a 10PM race, Evanflein! Great racing and a great photo (including A Trackrat) - weird lighting at 10pm. I was in Anchorage in '99, and remember that a local told me they often mowed their lawn after dinner in the summer 'cause it was still so light out.

I'm glad you got an extra mile in last week, LaT. The 20 will come...

Nice biking for a non-biker, Mariposai. Good follow-up run with the EP too.

Yesterday, I got to our racewalking clinic/training session early, and RWd 7.5 miles from Portsmouth onto New Castle island and back. We had a newbie at our session - she's run about 30 marathons, but her knees are giving her trouble. She wants to save her knees for skiing, so wants to try racewalking so she won't beat up her knees so much on the roads. She drove down from Center Conway, NH (about a 1:40 drive) for our clinic. She belongs to a running club that puts on one of my favorite half marathon (White Mountain Milers) every year - small world. We all worked together yesterday, and even critiqued each other - the newbie did pretty well for a first-timer. I also videoed each person, and will send those out today so people can see what their own form looks like. I spent the rest of the day weeding and mulching, and was more than exhausted by the end of the day. Today is an SRD, and I'm glad of it!

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

The story of the 4 cupcakes.  I ate one immediately after the party on Saturday and another later that evening.  Cindy grabbed the chocolate one, and of course, the last one was breakfast on Sunday.

Today I ran 4.5 miles.  I thought of going further but I plan to meet the Tuesday morning gang and run the hills tomorrow so I thought I should save some energy.

Yesterday I was reading on the back porch when I heard a tree popping and cracking.  I went inside to get some shoes and as I came back outside I watched this large tree limb fall into our neighbors' yard:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/t1.0-9/10269431_10203678064807688_6116880172452454859_n.jpg

I called a tree service today to come clean it up.  They told me if it was on my neighbors' yard it was their problem/responsibility but that just seems wrong.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Morning, all.

Dave--I think it's that you can't hire them to go on someone else's property without their permission.  How friendly are you with said neighbors?  Or maybe more to the point, how friendly do you want to be in the future?

I'd love to go back to NS--we did a 2 week family camping trip using the old ferry around 15 years ago.  I got all excited when I saw the new one starting up again, but yikes, it is a LOT more than it used to be.

Enke--I couldn't wait to be able to put on my 26.2 sticker for my one and only. (BTW, all of them went on at once)

Oh yeah--5.1 miles yesterday.  I'm also prepping for Richmond, but somehow, mine doesn't seem QUITE as far along as Tramps.  Wouldn't be because our anticipations are slightly different?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

Wow, Saturday morning in Duluth, 47 and foggy at 7:45 race time; this morning, 79 before dawn on my morning run!    I was perusing a Minnesota running magazine this weekend that featured photos of various runs over the year.  Funny thing, April, September, everyone dresses the same: jacket, hat, gloves......(yes, I have become unabashedly Floridagirl .)

Hey, Ilene, belated but sincere props on that award.   Majorly cool and impresive!

Such good news about Pickles, tw.  So good, so good so good (I do have a lot of those to spend, altho yesterday was a good welcome home game for me.)

And mored belated greetings, enke, both on your HM and your presentation.  And what you posted about your son.  Triple crown!

And to Tselbs!

Flashy 10K running by our ladies on either ends of the US, Erika and Karin.   And so neat about Karin seeing Marg and Henry and Deez!

Thanks to DW, Kevin.  Did you see the Red Sox breast cancer shirt, "Save Second Base"  ...I think that's gotta be an instant classic!

Glad you are running, twocat.  (Missed my two more than I imagined!)

Love your post about normalcy, Leslie.    Hope I meet you soon.

So what did Hudson say, Ribs?

I can almost taste those cherries, Nancy!   I'm with Holly and love them (and Happy belated Anniversary!)

Get cracking there, tramps!

Carolyn, race report??  The Wyoming was my first trail race (I just did the baby 18 miler)--my running chums from Rapid City assured me I could handle it and dragged me out there....I had NO CLUE how hard it was.  CONGRATS on scoring an AG win in your 50 Miler.  Amazing!!

Wish I could express how special it was to hang out with my old (she's 32--we both lived in Rapid a few years ago) running buddy in Duluth.  She ran the half in 1:37, then went home and did all sorts of daily chores, including jogging with her stroller full of sons (ages 2 & 5) up and down hills to the grocery.   Yup, it wasn't so much hanging out as keeping up!   She's an exercise trainer/nutritionist by training who was hired by a trucking company CEO to implement a health program for his truckers.  She had some of them running the Grandma's Half, and has only been there a little over a year.    She's such a special person, upbeat, just a joy to be around.  And her kiddoes are great.  Miles (good name, no?) ran the 1K Friday as part of the Grandma's event (man, was it cold out there on the field at 2 pm.  Not kidding, really cold--we went out for hot soup after.)

Thanks for the well wishes.  I also ran better than I expected.  I did just go out steady, but Becca inspired me and I decided to see what I had in the tank after I hit the 20 mile mark.  For you running geeks, Grandma's has fairly high-tech chip tracking, so I'll leave you with my race info, below.

Enjoy Monday and real summer!

grins, A

LocationRace TimeTime of DayPace BetweenOverall PlaceDivision PlaceSex PlaceAge Graded PlacePassed / By
          Time3:22:2211:13:177:23786/62111/30141/271316/621141/1
          25M3:13:3111:04:277:29821/61851/30144/269830/6185152/1
          20M2:36:0810:27:037:49983/61841/30174/269636/6184105/13
          13.1M1:42:159:33:107:501075/61841/30197/269954/618476/31
          10K48:228:39:187:481154/61821/30219/270064/6182221/104
          ChipStart1:047:50:56 1229/62112/30261/2713261/6211 
          GunStart00:007:49:53   

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Amy   I guess you had quite a bit left in the tank!!  If I read that right, you passed 41 in AG in the last segment.  AND finished with the 16th best graded finish out of 6000+??    Holy Carp.

King of PhotoShop

Lots of congrats to throw around:  Aamos, Erika and Deez.  I forget who else raced but it looks like a successful weekend.

Raining here, but not hard.  My wife and I managed to get 5 miles in.

This morning I put up a blog post on the Dallas Morning News site about the beautiful filly Ruffian, in order to make a point about using your good judgment about how much to run and race.  It will get a lot of responses because of the animal rights issues.  Here it is if you would like to weigh in:

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2014/06/animal-lovers-im-sorry-to-break-your-heart-today.html/

Spareribs

TammyinGP

great racing this weekend indeed!! I'm humbled that I'm even around such running rockstars!! You inspire me!

Monday morning back to work. Will get lots done this week so I can take all of next week off and not worry about work accumulating too much. David is off at "college" this week and I know he's having a great time! 

I might have a friend from San Diego driving thru and stopping at our place this evening, so depending on when/if they arrive will determine if I get a run in this evening or not.  but even if I do, it'll be a short one since it's supposed to be 90 or so.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - you are an awesome instructor!

Stumpy/Kevin - How did you post that picture here?  Did you have to post to FB and then copy it over here?

Amy - ROAR!!  Awesome racing!

6 easy-paced miles for me and some core work.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Amy, amazing, simply amazing!.

Ultra Wildchild, how are you feeling today?

So many great racers this weekend. Kudos to all of you.

I have the day off today from work, one of those use it or loose it type of day off, so I decided to fit in a long run to start off the day. I drove with the Easy Pacer to work, he dropped me off 16 miles from home and I ran back home. Hot and a little humid. My legs were shot from trail running and biking yesterday, so this was a longggg slow journey home.

Off to pit more cherries for the drier.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Stumpy/Kevin - How did you post that picture here?  Did you have to post to FB and then copy it over here?

Exactly.  Anything that's already on the interweb, I can copy and paste into the post. (cake secret trick)  There are probably more sophisticated ways, but that works for me.

Dave59

Exactly.  Anything that's already on the interweb, I can copy and paste into the post. (cake secret trick)  There are probably more sophisticated ways, but that works for me.

My picture of the tree is from Facebook.  I right click on the picture in Facebook, tell it to open/view in a new tab, and then cut and paste the link from that tab where all you have is the picture.

If it still doesn't display here, you can check the share settings on that picture in Facebook and make sure it isn't too restricted.  That use to happen to me more than it does now so Facebook may have changed that.

AMY!!!! Outstanding and those negative splits are a thing of beauty! I am guessing that's a top % on the age graded tables too. Congratulations and most importantly, you are clearly having fun! I genuflect and curtsy deeply.

Love the stickers Stumpy! I have a car magnet on my Subaru now, but it says: "My Other Car is a Tardis" and then there's the license plate frame that says Go Mizzou Tigers. I need to affix my 26.2 sticker at some point.

Just an easy run for me this morning after the bird tweeting just made sleeping impossible. It was worth it with a spectacular sunrise and cool temperatures---6 miles at 8:30 pace. All packed and heading out for four days. See y'all at some point.

Love looking at these photos of the Mt. Washington race. My teammates are in baby blue singlets---ultra-Amy wearing her INNOV8 one since she has multiple sponsors.  They will be defending their USATF mountain championship next week at Loon Mountain.

http://www.joeviger.com/Events/2014-Northeast-Detla-Dental-Mt-W/

mari, I can't imagine pitting and drying as many cherries as you've done but I'd sure like to have some when you're done.  stumpy, good job by your wife and team in their relay.  Nice night run by evan (1st in AG) and Trackrat (7OA and 1st masters).  Mike, Ioved the picture and the butterfly shirt made it even more special.  CNY (and son), marj (3AG), henrun (1 AG), and deez (PR), way to go on your meetup and racing.  Aamos, speedy half.

This morning, it was about 60° and there was just a light breeze.  I did 8 miles at an 11:18 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Wow!  Some awesome racing over the weekend!  Do we have amazing runners in this forum or what?  And BTW - Carolyn is a freaking trail running animal.  Incredibly talented.

I had another semi-lousy LR on Saturday.  I know what the problem is and have discussed it with Coach.  Hopefully, next week's goes better since I'll be my last LR before Mt. Hood.  I posted a "woe is me" post on FB.  If The Hub had seen it, he would've told me to pour out my bowl of crybaby soup and get over it.   Anyway - One of the major changes I'll be making is ditching the UCAN (that stuff is just horrible) and going back to using Hammer Sustained Energy in my fluid bladder.  I gave the UCAN a healthy try, but can no longer force myself to ingest something that  makes me want to gag when I'm fresh, let alone trying to gag it down at, say, Mile 35 of a 50 miler.  Bleck!

And I'm just tired, so today is a total rest day.  No strength training, nothing - except work.  For some reason I had to come to work.  I'm definitely ready for the taper.

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Just popping in to say WOW Aamos!!  Those stats are a thing of beauty!!  Interesting to see the passed / by column too.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."