Masters Running

Dog Backpacks (Read 200 times)

Have any of you had experience with dog packs for your pooches? My friend has black lab she wants to start training to carry his own supplies for more extensive hiking and running and is looking for input, the good, the bad, and the ugly. Thanks!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I've recently started putting a backpack on my Aussie puppy. It's an REI brand with a chest strap and two belly bands. She wears it without a fuss, and I load a water bottle on each side to balance the load. I'll gradually add more to the packs as she gets older. I've been very pleased with the back pack. When she outgrows this one, I'll probably get one of the backpacks that has removable packs - I forget the brand name, but Cabela's carries them. If your friend intends to do much hiking in the hills/mountains, the type/brand will make a difference. Some brands will slip down over the dog's head going downhill - they learn to slip out of them on the downhill. Seems like I Googled dog backpacks and found some good reviews about the pros and cons of various brands.

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Thanks for the input. Greatly appreciated.

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

I have an old pack I made years ago for my first dog. One of my current dogs used it last summer on a backpacking trip and she did fine with it. It initially fastened just with velcro, but that wasn't sturdy enough, so I added fastex quick release fasteners. Even if the pack is waterproof, make sure you put the dog food in zip lock bags, especially for breeds that like to go in water!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

btb1490

How big is your friends dog (weight)? I may have one for her.
              Wildchild - Thanks for the info on ziploc baggies. btb - He's at his full weight of 70 lbs.

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance