Masters Running

Election Day Daily, 11.4.14 (Read 42 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I will be so glad to have our mailbox uncluttered by all the awful negative attack fliers from the parties, candidates and PACs. Bring on the Christmas mailers...

Aamos - bib chips are so common these days that most people don't even think about them. However, if a race is using a shoe chip, they kinda ought to let each racer know that, and tell 'em where to get it. Gus Ormrod is a dang good racewalker - I see he walked an half a couple of years ago in 2:09. Your DH is hanging with some talented company - no wonder he's coming along so well.

Tammy, David continues to impress in more and more ways as he grows. Thanks for letting us watch from afar.

5 RW miles at the usual time this morning under clear skies, in 35F temps. I came across friend Steve a little past mile 2, and we walked and talked for another mile or so. Then I got back on it and was huffing and puffing a bit by the time I got back home.

How the heck can I have 24 emails that I have to respond to this early in the morning?? Don't people sleep?

Have a greta Tuesday?

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Great start as always Jay, Thanks!

What a whirlwind 36 hours with an emphasis on wind! The Manchester City Marathon may not get the press that the NYCM attracts, but the conditions were just as epic as the wind pushed us backwards at points or even knocked me off my feet at mile 19. I am not that light, I just ran into a particularly fierce gust. Undaunted, I ran with a merry band of teammates to finish up the USATF-NE road series on Sunday. My 3:33.03 finish time is the slowest I’ve run in eight years or so, but perhaps the hardest earned and great fun.

Lameruner and her race committee colleagues did an amazing job and make this smallish, but mighty marathon a great experience. Big Thank You!

I was the second scorer on our team. Our lead scorer on the team ran a 3:11, runs mostly trails and mountains, and weighs less than I do…she truly flew! Right after the race I jumped (okay stiff legged it) to my car and drove home for a quick Mr. CNYrunner prepared dinner and then drove on to Easton, PA. I was on my feet in execu-drag all day on Monday and got back home last night at about 11:00 pm…Phew! Off to Colorado Springs on Wednesday for work, I am already planning to hide the alarm clock this weekend!

Love the Batman team and its newest members! And your posts always make me grin SteveP

I’ll run to the polling place and cast my vote today---round trip of about four miles. Always proud to exercise my right to vote!

Two iconic Toms getting laid to rest in Boston this week---former Boston Mayor Thomas Menino and the brilliant and hilarious Tommy Magliozzi of Car Talk. Men who loved their city and seemed tireless in all they did.

Tramps

No closely contested races in Virginia so the volume of political ads was only moderate, thankfully.  Of course, I'm expecting the first 2016 presidential ad sometime this weekend. 

Wow, Karin, that does sound epic.  Great job finishing in a solid time.

Aamos--that chip thing was sort of funny; a rookie mistake from a seasoned veteran! 

4 miler with 3 tempo miles this morning.  Love the short taper-time runs.

BTW, an interesting piece on Japanese marathoner Yuki Kawauchi's unorthodox training approach.

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

5 miles for me into the same short taper time.  I think I'm ready for it--my legs feel a bit worn out.

I imagine it's been a boon for the radio and TV stations, but boy will I be glad to go vote today and then NOT hear political ads.  Nobody tells the whole truth, so I guess it makes it easier to ignore.  It would be nice if you might actually learn something useful for all that money being spent.

Unfortunately, I think CNY is being political and not telling the whole truth.  I've stood next to her and there's no way she can claim not be light.   Very nice race for you and your WMDP team.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Slo

I haven't voted yet. My polling place is just a few blocks down from were we will be having our Run For the Red meeting tonight so I'll cast my vote either before or after our meeting.

6.5 miles...another windy day!

Way to Karin!

I'm actually just leaving to work the elections - my job is to process all of the absentee ballots today, and from what I've heard, there are a LOT of them! Got a quick six miles in this morning in downright balmy temps. It was 55° when I left the house at 5:00 AM though quite windy, and it will get colder as the day progresses. This election has produced some nasty campaign ads, and our part of the state is considered a "swing area" so we've been absolutely deluged with television, radio and newspaper ads. Can't end soon enough for me.

Nice racing this weekend Karin! You lightweights rule!  I heard that the women's NYC marathon winner is 5'3" and weighs 80 pounds. I'm 5'3", but let's just say I weigh a little more than that. No wind strong enough to blow me away

Good luck with taper time Tramps and Kevin. 27 emails? Really? Sounds like you'll be busy this morning Jay. Hi Slo!

Got an approved offer on the condo we were looking at. Now we just have to sell our house. That shouldn't be a problem with winter and the holidays right around the corner

Get out and vote people!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

There are no polling places in Seattle anymore.
                It's all mail-in ballots

I don't like it a bit and wait for election day to at least be able to walk by City Hall and drop m ballot in a box so I can feel a little like I voted. My ballot might be rejected this year though because, in addition to filling in the oval voting option boxes,  I wrote good and bad words about some of the candidates I like and don't like, mostly the latter. I never felt this way in smaller voting districts I used to live in and could know the candidates on a personal basis for all their talents and foibles.   I sure know who I’d be voting for if anyone running herein was running today too..

ps - I liked steve's idea yesterday that the RD's' should pay aamos

(and probably others too) to grace their events.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

wildchild

Carolyn

Good morning!  I voted by mail, last week.

Karin, 3:33 is your SLOWEST finish time in 8 years?  Dang, you're speedy!  My sympathies on the wind - when I ran my first marathon (Wyoming) with Mike E, I thought that set the bar for windy races.  But then the 50k in Monument Valley, AZ was even windier, with the added bonus of blowing sand!

Tramps and Stumpy, happy tapering!  I'm tapering, too, for the Moab Trail Marathon this Saturday.  I ran 6 miles yesterday -- twice around the block, the first lap with the dogs and the second lap in the dark.  Not used to the time change yet, so I didn't realize how early it would be dark,  but there was a nice moon to light the way.

Jeanne, good luck selling your house.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

King of PhotoShop

Karin is very fast.  I would expect that time to be her slowest.  I've seen some of her fast ones.

My nephew Joe (son of my sister and BIL Joe, for those of you who remember them) ran NY Marathon on Sunday in 3:10. Given those conditions, I am very excited for him.

I decided not to run today, but went to the park with the Saint while she did 3. I walked 2 with Lucy and a few short jogs mixed in.

Rain here all day today and tomorrow.

You know how runners will often brag about how many pairs of shoes they have?  Well, we have over 1,000 pairs in our garage right now.  A large trash/leaf bag holds about 25 pairs, so you can imagine how many huge bags we have.  One car is left outside until the shoes get picked up next week.

This is Hudson's Senior year volunteer project Soles4Souls, to give shoes to those who cannot afford them.  Spareribs

TammyinGP

Oregon is only mail-in voting also but I actually like that. I can take my time and fill in my ballot when I want, drop it off without standing in lines, etc.

thanks for the comments about my son. It was so good to have him home last night. The dogs were extra giddy with excitement also.  XC season is now officially over but today they are doing a timed mile on the track to see where they are at. David's goal is a sub 5. His best is 5:13. I think sub 5 might be a bit lofty for him right now, but I give him credit for always aiming high and pushing himself.

great project for Hudson! So, I'm guessing that those are not all your shoes, Ribs? you probably had a few donated to the cause?  

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Karin, 3:33 is your SLOWEST finish time in 8 years?  Dang, you're speedy!  

Indeed!

I voted by absentee ballot as well, and like the rest of you, will be so relieved to be rid of the constant barrage of phone calls, mailers and ads related to the various races.

7.1 miles for me today in 49 degrees with 15 or 16 100M striders (I always seem to lose count).

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...mornin' guys//.............I woke up Evil, I was Evil at the YMCA,

and

if I vote today I'll see if TheDevil is on the Ballot.....

leg is killing me,

held a door for a lady at the Y who said ''GO Ahead''......and wouldn't let me hold the door,

got to the pool, lanes were full,

I asked to share a lane with another swimmer, and a FatLady jumped in ahead of me!!!!!!

it's been an Evil Day

===========

...but I digress.....

38-min poolrun, no belt, deep end only

and

radiating Evilness the entire time...

..............good running guys................Run Evil.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

TW! Sorry about the pain and woe, but I don't ever imagine you truly Evil!

So I run a 3:33.03 ad my time when age-graded places me 33rd overall! (posted on the USATF-NE site) Got some Three-thing going! Too funny.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Well, we have over 1,000 pairs in our garage right now.  A large trash/leaf bag holds about 25 pairs, so you can imagine how many huge bags we have.  One car is left outside until the shoes get picked up next week.

This is Hudson's Senior year volunteer project Soles4Souls, to give shoes to those who cannot afford them.  Spareribs

Sorry to Hudson as I only still have two of the four pairs of running shoes I’ve ever owned.
                              *. . 1.  orange and yellow Nike waffle stompers for mary no. 1 in 1977
                              . . . 2.  blue Brooks Vantage with roomy box toes in 1980,
                              . . . 3.  green Adidas trail runners in 1983, and
                              . . . 4.  Saucony somethings in 1987 (#4). 

Wow karin, what velocity were those gusts?
                              However, no RA goddess is no. 3 in anything.
                              You’re all no. ones.
                              ps tom - you’re about as evil as Karin is slow, . . or I am fast, or ribs doesn't have shoes. .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

janie b good

3.64 trail miles for me and daughter.  She recently got engaged, so we talked wedding plans ... and then ate pizza (bonus!).

and, I voted!

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.