Masters Running

hopeful4ever...remember this... (Read 390 times)

Mariposai

Our very own hopeful4ever is getting ready to run her very first marathon this weekend. As we all know she has done a terrific job during her training. Now is time to cover the marathon distance. Let us give her a few tips to take with her on her first victory lap. Mary, remember to start out slow regardless on how well you feel in the beginning. Remember also to say thanks to the volunteers.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Smile broadly as you cross the Finish Line! And wait a few seconds before turning off your stopwatch. You don't want to be looking down at your watch as they take those GREAT finishing Photos! Go 6106! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Greta idea, Mari!-- OK, Have Fun! is the most important thing, of course. I really find the old adage about a marathon being 3 races: the 1st 10, the seond 10, and then the last 10K is true. Running and being able to talk to others for the 1st 10 miles is a good indicator you aren't going too fast, then conserve your energy, focus on the second 10, and with luck, you'll feel good at mile 20 and ready to bring it home. grins, A ps: if you plan on wearing something warm at the start and tossing it along the way, here's another tip. If I'm using an old long-sleeved t-shirt, I cut a notch in the neckline, and then in the bottom band. I do the same to the cuffs. This allows me to rip it instead of needing to pull it off over my head--your garmin can get in the way, or your hat.
        Masters 2000 miles
        Tramps

Relax. R-E-L-A-X ! Enjoy the moment. Have fun!

Be safe. Be kind.

#artbydmcbride

Sending you miles of smiles! Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

Runners run

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Don't eat too much birthday cake...before the marathon. How much cake you eat after the marathon is up to you! You will do spectacularly well.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Mary, my advice and tips would be...... oh never mind Big grin But am learning some for myself though Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

My tips, such as they are: - It is definitely chilly while you're milling around in the dark waiting for the race to start. Be sure to wear something disposable that you'll probably pitch by the time you get to the bridge. Maybe follow Aamos's advice on this. - Take it easy going up the bridge. It is a long incline, but not too steep and at least it comes when you have a lot of energy. Enjoy the view of the sunrise while running across the bridge! This is one of the great sights in running (IMHO). - Ditto coming out of the tunnel (long incline). It can be warm & stuffy in there, but once out into the fresh air, you are pretty much done with the "hills". - Expect to feel hunger pangs on the long run back toward town on Lafayette, as the cooking odors from Greektown waft over you (not kidding!). - Smile and look up when you cross that finish-line mat. You've done it! - Post an RR in a timely fashion and start thinking about your next one.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

Don't forget body glide. Maybe some vaseline or New Skin on your toes for blister prevention. And double knot your shoes. You're going to do great!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

The Jogger

Bet there were times when you thought you wouldn't finish the C25K and you did. Don't even think that about this one, just run and keep going, we're all with ya, even if I will be sitting in my office over here Smile GO GIRL Roy

Top 'O the World!

breathe....& giggle alot! Wink Cool
                        Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Renee the dog

Not that I've run a marathon, but this advice helps me through life: If you feel yourself tightening up at all, let out a nice long exhale. You will do great! Very very exciting!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Run tall Mary....like someone is pulling on the marionette string attached to your head---look ahead and let points in the distance reel you in-----fire hydrant to fire hydrant, water stop to water stop.......I like to think of where I need to be at each 5 mile segment rather than think about how many miles remain. My favorite pre-marathon saying is: Remember to run the first 20 miles with your head and the last 6 with your heart. You have such a huge and open heart Mary----you will do this! GOOD LUCK!!!!! Mach Schnell! Karin
                            wildchild

Carolyn

I obviously have no personal marathon experience, but just want to add - GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN! And hydrate and fuel well! Hope you have ideal temperatures and the wind always at your back! Go #6106!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Mary, you've trained so well for this I think you'll do awesome. Love CNYrunner's "Mach Schnell!" Aamos and Rochrunner are a font of info, from her experience (good idea on the cutting neck and wristbands!) and his history of running of the course, there's a lot there. And Holly's double knot the shoes is very important. I've got nothing to add, but heartfelt wishes for an amazing race for your first!